The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#71 Joel Hanley

habs_93

Guest habs1952

Doesn't make any sense as to why he was recalled ahead of Ellis. Then again, if they wanted a journeyman to replace the injured Bartley as closely as possible, I guess this makes sense.

They're showcasing him.

IMO No. I believe Hanley is more of a placeholder. I don't think he's the guy who was the best defenceman in the NHL nor the guy most likely to have a good NHL career down the line. I think Hanley is here to fill the void until Redmond comes back, and if we wanted someone long-term, I think it would have been Barberio.

I agree that Markov looks like he needs a break. He's already in over his head, and he's making 2 bad plays for every good one he makes. But if we're making a swap, I'd rather see Barberio called up to play.

17 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

IMO No. I believe Hanley is more of a placeholder. I don't think he's the guy who was the best defenceman in the NHL nor the guy most likely to have a good NHL career down the line. I think Hanley is here to fill the void until Redmond comes back, and if we wanted someone long-term, I think it would have been Barberio.

I agree that Markov looks like he needs a break. He's already in over his head, and he's making 2 bad plays for every good one he makes. But if we're making a swap, I'd rather see Barberio called up to play.

Too bad for Barberio that he didn't make the cut from the get-go. Waiver issues may be in play here and why Hanley was called up. That said, I did feel he was a very capable replacement player last year.

4 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Too bad for Barberio that he didn't make the cut from the get-go. Waiver issues may be in play here and why Hanley was called up. That said, I did feel he was a very capable replacement player last year.

Thing is though, if its a waiver concern and its just a replacement call up, we could call up Barberio with no risk.  Under the new CBA if a player clears waivers you can recall them again, for up to 30 days, without having to expose them to waivers on the way back down again.  

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

Why he's still in the lineup boggles the mind!!!! :5155: 

No way Barberio is worse than him!  

Is Barberio really better though? Personally I think Hanley is more often than not a safe bet on the third pairing. The problem is he is a lefty asked to play his off-side right-defense replacing Pateryn. Beaulieu continues to get a pass even when he makes errors very often... typical favoritism IMO. I wouldn't mind trying Hanley-Redmond when Redmond is ready.

14 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Personally I think Hanley is more often than not a safe bet on the third pairing. 

If you've been watching the previous 3 games, you'll notice Hanley is playing scared - afraid to make mistakes.  Facing the slightest challenge, he prefers to back away towards the blue line.  An example during the 3rd period in the Senators game: Galchenyuk moves up the wing on an offensive rush. Hanley joins him.  When Galchenyuk passes the puck to him, setting him up for a shot, he misses the puck because he has already backed off.  The point is Hanley is NOT a puck moving offensive D-man.  

If it were Barberio, he'd stuck with the attacking rush and taken a chance to shoot.

Looking back at the game against Carolina Hurricanes, Hanley was responsible for at least one of the goals conceded.

Secondly, MT puts him on the lineup but limits his (3) minutes.  Why waste a spot if he's not going to be used?  If the coach is afraid he'll screw up, why field him?

9 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

If you've been watching the previous 3 games, you'll notice Hanley is playing scared - afraid to make mistakes.  Facing the slightest challenge, he prefers to back away towards the blue line.  An example during the 3rd period in the Senators game: Galchenyuk moves up the wing on an offensive rush. Hanley joins him.  When Galchenyuk passes the puck to him, setting him up for a shot, he misses the puck because he has already backed off.  The point is Hanley is NOT a puck moving offensive D-man.  

If it were Barberio, he'd stuck with the attacking rush and taken a chance to shoot.

Looking back at the game against Carolina Hurricanes, Hanley was responsible for at least one of the goals conceded.

Secondly, MT puts him on the lineup but limits his (3) minutes.  Why waste a spot if he's not going to be used?  If the coach is afraid he'll screw up, why field him?

This.

And we end up with Weber and Markov both playing over 30 minutes last night because MT limits the ice time of several guys. 

On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 1:41 AM, PuckPundit said:

If you've been watching the previous 3 games, you'll notice Hanley is playing scared - afraid to make mistakes.

Sounds like Pateryn

• 7 months later...
  • H_T_L locked this topic