The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 Habs Lines

BigTed3

With last season behind us, it's time to start planning for the future. This is the place to discuss personnel deployment and to debate which players should be playing together.

Some things to think about:

1. Is Galchenyuk the number one center or are we better off splitting up Pacioretty and Galchenyuk to create depth on offence?

2. How many roster spots should be left for rookies and youngsters to fill? Which players do you see getting these spots?

3. What are the holes in the roster that need to be filled?

Guest Regis2

He IS Montreal's # 1 centre .

Im not sure splitting them will create any depth on offence.

You have Pacioretty, Gallagher , Galchenyuk and then which other 3 three players could suitably fill in the top six . ( not including DD )

After last year every spot is open . May the best man win that spot but knowing MT he will stay the course .

3. It's not a hole but should be : a new coach and assistant coaches

re: Galchenyuk, I can't see anything to be gained from moving him off of the #1 line at this point. I don't mean to sound pessimistic here, but the truth is that we're going to have a Weisse-ian player (if not Weisse himself) playing on one of the top two lines. That really hurts our ability top spread around the offence in any meaningful way. I think you've got to play your best three players together and live or die by that line. That line will certainly draw the heaviest checking matchups, leaving things a bit more open for the rest of the team, and between Gallagher, Galchenyuk and Patches they should be able to score even against good opposition.

With last season behind us, it's time to start planning for the future. This is the place to discuss personnel deployment and to debate which players should be playing together.

Some things to think about:

1. Is Galchenyuk the number one center or are we better off splitting up Pacioretty and Galchenyuk to create depth on offence?

2. How many roster spots should be left for rookies and youngsters to fill? Which players do you see getting these spots?

3. What are the holes in the roster that need to be filled?

1. Unless we manage to sign Stamkos, or perhaps another guy like him not on the radar, Galchenyuk should be our #1 centre next year. No one else on our current roster is even close.

2. The problem is our mid level depth. We have tons of 3rd and 4th liners. Some can fill in on the top line but are not suited there. You know what you're getting from those guys. Younger guys like Carr, Hudon, Andrighetto - they need to show what they can do. Ideally I wouldnt want to leave more than 2 spots open but I think we might be better off with 4 rookies than 4 ageing vets. Will also depend on what MB does with trades and signings.

3. At least 1 more top 6 winger (RW). Again, if MB pulls a rabbit out of his hat & signs stamkos or similar, who knows, but for now, we have holes that need to be filled. I also think we need at least 1 more true top 4 dman. Subban is obviously #1. Petry and Beaulieu are convincingly top 4 (not sure if either is good enough to consistently be PK's partner). Markov is done as a top liner. He's probably still got the skills to be a very effective 3rd pairing guy and maybe help on the PP but thats it. We need to shuffle him down the roster. We're totally set with #1 and numbers 5-7 but we need one more guy who can play up the roster in the top 4.

I think any answers to lack of scoring are going to have to come from within. I think these should be our lines in 2016-17:

Line 1: Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher

Your top line should be your top guys. All 3 of these guys are the top offensive threat at their position, on our current roster. That's the trio you should lead EVERY game with. Let's see what a line with a full year together can do. Other teams have top lines, why can't we.

Line 2: Lehkonen, Plekanec, Andrighetto

Plekanec is the most offensively consistent veteran we have and he's perfect in that 2nd line role. It's time to give him the 2 wingers best suited for his game. I'd also be interested to see what kind of numbers the 2 younger wingers put up on a line with a consistent 50 point 2 way centre. Yes they are smaller but they're fast and defensively responsible. Speed kills and this line would bring that.

Line 3: Matteau, Danault, Carr

Bergevin believes a great deal in his 2 deadline acquisitions (Matteau,Danault). I think he believes in them enough to audition them in the 3rd line role. Putting Carr on their right side gives them the best chance of success on the offensive side of the puck. Carr is similar to Gallagher in that he's willing to go to the net and to the tougher areas to score. He could be their missing link. It's going to give you the best evaluation of what you have in the 2 former 1st rounders (Danault 2011; Matteau 2012).

Line 4: Flynn, Mitchell, Byron

It's a solid 4th line...And Byron and Mitchell are solid penalty killers. That's it. Flynn will be traded at the deadline or hopefully let go in the off season. You Could also add a bit more beef and slide Lessio and/or McCarron onto that 4th line.

Ultimately what this line-up does is finally live up to the whole "Build through The draft' line we were all sold back in 2012. As far as Eller and Desharnais go, I would see what picks and prospects you can get in return for these 2. I would see if you could get Brenden Gaunce from Vancouver in exchange for Lars Eller. Put Gaunce down in St. John's for another year. I would see if you could send Desharnais to Florida for Dylan Olsen.

Guest Regis2

. I think these should be our lines in 2016-17:

I don't like your line up

Its weak IMO

See the hi lights

Your 2nd line is way too small and will get pushed around easily

Matteau should be in the minors

I don't like your line up

Its weak IMO

See the hi lights

Your 2nd line is way too small and will get pushed around easily

Matteau should be in the minors

After you're extremely inaccurate assessment of Lehkonnen,I will take your assessment of my line up with an over sized grain of salt. Matteau may very well belong in the minors. As for the 2nd line, they are small, but that doesn't mean they won't be offensively potent...And unless you're grabbing an absolute stud either through draft, trade or FA then Andrighetto should get 1st crack at top 6 RW mins. He's definitely an upgrade to Paul Byron or Torrey Mitchell at 2nd line RW.

I think any answers to lack of scoring are going to have to come from within. I think these should be our lines in 2016-17:

Your top line should be your top guys. All 3 of these guys are the top offensive threat at their position, on our current roster. That's the trio you should lead EVERY game with. Let's see what a line with a full year together can do. Other teams have top lines, why can't we.

Plekanec is the most offensively consistent veteran we have and he's perfect in that 2nd line role. It's time to give him the 2 wingers best suited for his game. I'd also be interested to see what kind of numbers the 2 younger wingers put up on a line with a consistent 50 point 2 way centre. Yes they are smaller but they're fast and defensively responsible. Speed kills and this line would bring that.

Bergevin believes a great deal in his 2 deadline acquisitions (Matteau,Danault). I think he believes in them enough to audition them in the 3rd line role. Putting Carr on their right side gives them the best chance of success on the offensive side of the puck. Carr is similar to Gallagher in that he's willing to go to the net and to the tougher areas to score. He could be their missing link. It's going to give you the best evaluation of what you have in the 2 former 1st rounders (Danault 2011; Matteau 2012).

It's a solid 4th line...And Byron and Mitchell are solid penalty killers. That's it. Flynn will be traded at the deadline or hopefully let go in the off season. You Could also add a bit more beef and slide Lessio and/or McCarron onto that 4th line.

Ultimately what this line-up does is finally live up to the whole "Build through The draft' line we were all sold back in 2012. As far as Eller and Desharnais go, I would see what picks and prospects you can get in return for these 2. I would see if you could get Brenden Gaunce from Vancouver in exchange for Lars Eller. Put Gaunce down in St. John's for another year. I would see if you could send Desharnais to Florida for Dylan Olsen.

The problem is that this (or any other lineup we put out there) is likely to get mismanaged in terms of icetime, matchups etc.

Some thoughts:

- I agree wholeheartedly with your 1st line if nothing changes. If Bergevin pulls a rabbit out of his hat (named stamkos) then we'd have to re-address.

- I dont know enough about Lehkonnen to say if he's ready for 2nd line duty but id strongly oppose keeping Plekanec while dumping Eller. Plekanec was a better player than Eller. He still may be - slightly - but he's also going to be 34 years old next season. I dont mind keeping him (and Eller) but i wouldnt keep him over our much younger 2 way centre.

- I am surprised you have guys like Matteau, Flynn Byron etc in your lineup, but no McCarron. Id be pretty shocked to see him not make the team next year. If do end up losing a couple of centres this year (Plekanec and DD) I could see McCarron in one of the top 3 centre spots. Mind you, i still think he's better suited to the wing - oh yeah, and we're sorely lacking a top 6 right winger... hrm.

- Like you, no matter how i look at our lineup (knowing how MT will use it) I see no spot for Desharnais. Now, if we had Boucher or someone maybe DD would be used in an exploitative 4th line roll or something but with Therrien he's always a crutch that ends up hurting us because of how he's been misused.

The problem is that this (or any other lineup we put out there) is likely to get mismanaged in terms of icetime, matchups etc.

Some thoughts:

- I agree wholeheartedly with your 1st line if nothing changes. If Bergevin pulls a rabbit out of his hat (named stamkos) then we'd have to re-address.

- I dont know enough about Lehkonnen to say if he's ready for 2nd line duty but id strongly oppose keeping Plekanec while dumping Eller. Plekanec was a better player than Eller. He still may be - slightly - but he's also going to be 34 years old next season. I dont mind keeping him (and Eller) but i wouldnt keep him over our much younger 2 way centre.

- I am surprised you have guys like Matteau, Flynn Byron etc in your lineup, but no McCarron. Id be pretty shocked to see him not make the team next year. If do end up losing a couple of centres this year (Plekanec and DD) I could see McCarron in one of the top 3 centre spots. Mind you, i still think he's better suited to the wing - oh yeah, and we're sorely lacking a top 6 right winger... hrm.

- Like you, no matter how i look at our lineup (knowing how MT will use it) I see no spot for Desharnais. Now, if we had Boucher or someone maybe DD would be used in an exploitative 4th line roll or something but with Therrien he's always a crutch that ends up hurting us because of how he's been misused.

My reasoning for not having McCarron in the line up? Quite simply, I see him as our #2 centre of the future and the only place he is more than likely going to get that ice time is down in St. John's. I see Pete Mahovolich in him. I think he's that good and that promising of a scoring threat. But he won't get used as a scoring line centre in MTL.

Lehkonen would most likely brought in on the 3rd line as were Galchenyuk and Gallagher, but I do honestly believe he could be lights out on the left side of Pleks. I think he's one of those diamond in the rough kind of guys.

I chose moving Eller because he's cap friendly and thus easier to move. I wouldn't be opposed to moving Pleks however, if MTL could wiggle an extra 1st and a promising prospect out of a contender or a bubble team upgrading to contend. I just don't have faith that Bergevin has the level of competence required to pull off a deal. I'm perfectly OK though if MTL were to trade Pleks and give Eller a legitimate shot at the #2 centre spot. By the time the Eller contract is up, McCarron should be ready to step in.

Putting Matteau and Danault in roster spots is all about evaluating what you have in a pair of deadline reclamation projects. The hope is they show a bit of offensive upside and ANY glimpse of justification for their 1st round draft selections. Worse case scenario, they're waiver wire pick ups or trade fodder at the 2017 deadline.

Finally, if you're going to sign Mitchell and Byron to extensions, you might as well see what kind of mileage you can get. Maybe they can be trade bait for a team looking for playoff depth.

My reasoning for not having McCarron in the line up? Quite simply, I see him as our #2 centre of the future and the only place he is more than likely going to get that ice time is down in St. John's. I see Pete Mahovolich in him. I think he's that good and that promising of a scoring threat. But he won't get used as a scoring line centre in MTL.

Lehkonen would most likely brought in on the 3rd line as were Galchenyuk and Gallagher, but I do honestly believe he could be lights out on the left side of Pleks. I think he's one of those diamond in the rough kind of guys.

I chose moving Eller because he's cap friendly and thus easier to move. I wouldn't be opposed to moving Pleks however, if MTL could wiggle an extra 1st and a promising prospect out of a contender or a bubble team upgrading to contend. I just don't have faith that Bergevin has the level of competence required to pull off a deal. I'm perfectly OK though if MTL were to trade Pleks and give Eller a legitimate shot at the #2 centre spot. By the time the Eller contract is up, McCarron should be ready to step in.

Putting Matteau and Danault in roster spots is all about evaluating what you have in a pair of deadline reclamation projects. The hope is they show a bit of offensive upside and ANY glimpse of justification for their 1st round draft selections. Worse case scenario, they're waiver wire pick ups or trade fodder at the 2017 deadline.

Finally, if you're going to sign Mitchell and Byron to extensions, you might as well see what kind of mileage you can get. Maybe they can be trade bait for a team looking for playoff depth

All good reasoning. I dont necessarily agree with all of it, but your thought process makes plenty of sense. If only i could say the same about or coaching staff....

We really need to get a minimum of one top 6 forward this offseason, whether it's via trade or free agency. At worst, you only want one of Andrighetto or Lehkonen on the second line. From what I've seen/heard about Lehkonen, he could very well end up being a good 2nd line winger. He's versatile and has a very high hockey IQ, I just don't know if you want to roll the dice on him being ready for that role going into the season. It's possible he steps in and succeeds off the bat, but after the Semin/Kassian fiascos, I'm not comfortable with it and I'd be willing to bet Bergevin isn't either.

The Lehkonen signing is interesting because he's as NHL-ready as players like McCarron and De La Rose and other guys who have already been given a shot. Perhaps he's less accustomed to the North American game, but he's also been playing tougher opposition and a faster style than the guys who have been in the AHL for a year or two. So an argument can be made that he and Reway have just as good a shot at grabbing a roster spot. I don't think we can fit all of McCarron, Hudon, Scherbak, DLR, Lehkonen, Andrighetto, Carr, and Reway in, but there has to be space made for at least 2-3 of those players, especially given the lack of veteran top 9 players. I'd rather see those young guns in instead of the likes of Byron, Flynn, Brown, Matteau, and so on. Personally I think the first three of those players should be cut and the last should be in the AHL.

Barring a signing or trade, I would love to see something like

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-McCarron

(Lehkonen/Hudon/Scherbak)-Eller-Gallagher

Andrighetto-Plekanec-Carr

Danault-Mitchell-Lessio

It's youthful, but it basically cuts out the fat, the players who don't really fit into the picture of a Cup-winning team. Each line has got some veteran leadership. The first line can score and has nice size. The second line has good scoring potential and we've seen chemistry between Eller and Gallagher before. You give Lehkonen, Hudon, and Scherbak the chance to fight it out at camp for the chance to play in the top 6. The third line is a good two-way line, and the fourth features players who are responsible and play hard. if Stamkos happens to sign here, then even better. You slide Galchenyuk and Eller down a line each, you look to trade Plekanec...

I don't think we can fit all of McCarron, Hudon, Scherbak, DLR, Lehkonen, Andrighetto, Carr, and Reway in, but there has to be space made for at least 2-3 of those players, especially given the lack of veteran top 9 players.

This.

We just have so many nhl ready players. Its really tough to see who are 2nd, 3rd and 4th liners. Heck, some might yet be 1st liners. We can guess on a number of them but without actual games under their belt, nobody knows. If only there had been a way to integrate some of them into our lineup the last couple of years so we'd have a better idea.... oh wait.

In all honesty, Bergevin should dump like 4+ forwards this summer. But im not sure if he will

Guest Regis2

After you're extremely inaccurate assessment of Lehkonnen,I will take your assessment of my line up with an over sized grain of salt.

lol.fair enough . I just dont think the kid will make it

He'll find the smaller ice a challenge

I still think the line up has too many players who are inexperienced

lol.fair enough . I just dont think the kid will make it

He'll find the smaller ice a challenge

I still think the line up has too many players who are inexperienced

I was hoping that reply didn't come across too angry lol. You're right that the team is younger. But our current blueline is experienced enough when healthy to compensate. And if Carey comes back healthy and strong, he definitely evens the playing surface for us, maybe even tilts it a little. But that's going to be dependent on Price coming back fully healthy and strong. If however Price can't come back fully healthy and strong and/or retires, that potentially turns this year and possibly the next into full rebuild years.

And if there is an argument to make for a rebuild, it would be that there is an exceptional status player by the name of Joe Veleno available for 2018. Veleno was drafted 1st OVA in 2015 by the Saint John Seadogs. Saint John acquired the pick via a trade with Cape Breton that sent Olivier Leblanc the other way. Veleno played this year in Saint John and put up 43 points and was a +7 as a 15-year-old rookie. In 17 playoff games he registered 6 goals and 1 assist. He's currently 6-1 and about 177lbs. with room to grow. He is a native of Kirkland PQ. Putting yourself in a position to draft him and add your elite centre of the future benefits your club immensely .

If your not tanking and not rebuilding, it might be in your best interest to see if you can catch a rival GM or 2 napping on draft day 2016. Maybe a couple of trades like:

To Whomever: Lars Eller

To MTL: 1rnd. pick, 2018.

AND

To Whomever: Dave Desharnais

To MTL: 1rnd. pick, 2018.

If Dale Weiss and Thomas Fleischmann are worth a 2nd in 2018, then you should be able to get a couple of firsts in 2018 for Eller and Desharnais. There's got to be at least 1 or 2 short-sighted GM's in the league who'd make those moves. Stockpiling first in 2018 strengthens you chances for drafting Veleno. That is after all how Saint John was able to draft Veleno to begin with. Dangling an asset in front of a team looking to win now, in exchanged for what would later become the first overall pick in Veleno's draft year..

I personally don't have a problem with giving some of the younger skill guys a shot. If you can sign a Stamkos and an Okposo, that's great. But barring that, I'd rather see McCarron and Hudon than Byron and Flynn. This isn't the NHL of 30 years ago. There are more teams, which means you have to make do with less quality veteran depth. The game is faster, which means older guys have to adapt their games or they can't keep up. Look at how players like Kaberle and Hamrlik and Prust and Moen just kind of hit the wall in their careers here. And most importantly, in a cap era, you have to be able to include some amount of young cheap talent to be able to balance out your line-up.

Bergevin has stated that he wants to build this team through the draft. Fine. But you actually have to put your money where your mouth is if that's your plan. If you don't want to make a big splash via trade or free agency (or if your coach rejects skill players brought in by free agency), then your top 6-9 will remain devoid of talent unless you fill it with skill players from your drafts. We have NHL-ready talent in McCarron, Andrighetto, Hudon, Carr, and maybe Scherbak or Lehkonen. But what do we see instead of filling these guys into the holes in our line-ups? We see Bergevin stock-piling 4th liners like Byron, Flynn, Mitchell, Matteau, Brown, Scott, DSP, Weise, and so on... sure, you need a couple of those guys too, but you can't stuff 5-6 of these guys into your line-up and be okay with it. So why is it that the team found roster space for Matteau, Danault, and De La Rose (all bottom 6 players) but couldn't find a way to work Hudon in, despite the fact he's been very successful at the AHL level and played well in his brief stint in Montreal? Why is it that McCarron was sent down to make room for John Scott and Mike Brown? If you sign Okposo and tell me Hudon doesn't have a roster spot because you've got Okposo instead, I can be on board with that. But don't tell your fans you're building through the draft, then when those drafted players are ready, you bypass them for 4th-line pluggers who have been passed by on the waiver wire by every other team in the league.

This isn't the NHL of 30 years ago.

This is so important a point on so many levels. In our case we are getting killed by management hanging on to a coaching staff that was built for the 80s and 90s NHL. Take a good coach from 30 years ago and put them in today's nhl... unless they are able to adapt, they arent going to cut it.

Bergevin has stated that he wants to build this team through the draft. Fine. But you actually have to put your money where your mouth is if that's your plan. If you don't want to make a big splash via trade or free agency (or if your coach rejects skill players brought in by free agency), then your top 6-9 will remain devoid of talent unless you fill it with skill players from your drafts.

This. We need to give our recent high draft picks a chance - and - when all hope is lost (like last season) we needed to start moving unnecessary players for picks. We have way too many bottom 6 players - several of whom most likely could have been turned into at least 2nd or 3rd round picks which, frankly, is where Timmins and Co excel (even more so than the 1st round). But instead we just burned up a year of prime playing time and contracts (with no reward) for our core. you want to see how you rebuild through the draft? Look at Toronto the last 12 months. It pains me to say that but they were a textbook example of how to tank, how to move non-essential players and how to reconfigure their management group.

This is so important a point on so many levels. In our case we are getting killed by management hanging on to a coaching staff that was built for the 80s and 90s NHL. Take a good coach from 30 years ago and put them in today's nhl... unless they are able to adapt, they arent going to cut it.

This. We need to give our recent high draft picks a chance - and - when all hope is lost (like last season) we needed to start moving unnecessary players for picks. We have way too many bottom 6 players - several of whom most likely could have been turned into at least 2nd or 3rd round picks which, frankly, is where Timmins and Co excel (even more so than the 1st round). But instead we just burned up a year of prime playing time and contracts (with no reward) for our core. you want to see how you rebuild through the draft? Look at Toronto the last 12 months. It pains me to say that but they were a textbook example of how to tank, how to move non-essential players and how to reconfigure their management group.

The Leafs did a great job of tanking properly. They planned the tank. Babcock even admitted they knew this season was a lost cause and that it was about building for the future and giving up assets for futures. Their team hung on to young vets with the potential to build around, like JVR, Kadri, and Reilly. They dumped guys who weren't going to be helpful to them in the future, and they gave their young guys experience in the NHL and a winning culture in the minors. They stock-piled high draft picks and they gave themselves the best shot at the #1 overall pick as possible. They needed some luck to actually keep the #1 pick, but they did what they could. It seems as if there's a plan there, one that will take time, but one that will work. And why? Because the people running the show there are smart and are doing what needs to be done. There's no cover-up. There's no excuses. They're calling a spade a spade and moving on.

Here, we're 180 degrees away from that. There are excuses for everything, there's zero accountability, and there's no action to back up the talk that we're building through the draft. MB doesn't need to re-build to the extent the Leafs are, but he does need to be more consistent with what he's saying, and that starts with replacing the organization's entire coaching staff (save Waite) and getting his young guns into the line-up. We've wasted time with developing Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pateryn, Eller, Sekac, even Subban... and now the same with the next generation. Our lines next year need to reflect a conscious decision to play skill in skill positions and not sell out to grit.

This problem with finding roster space for skilled players really highlights how unnecessary it was to sign Byron. What's even crazier is giving him 3 years. There was absolutely no reason for that; he surely would have been happy with 1. He had absolutely no leverage. This is a self-inflicted wound just like the Desharnais and Emelin contracts. Apparently Bergevin didn't learn his lesson.

The Leafs did a great job of tanking properly. They planned the tank. Babcock even admitted they knew this season was a lost cause and that it was about building for the future and giving up assets for futures. Their team hung on to young vets with the potential to build around, like JVR, Kadri, and Reilly. They dumped guys who weren't going to be helpful to them in the future, and they gave their young guys experience in the NHL and a winning culture in the minors. They stock-piled high draft picks and they gave themselves the best shot at the #1 overall pick as possible. They needed some luck to actually keep the #1 pick, but they did what they could. It seems as if there's a plan there, one that will take time, but one that will work. And why? Because the people running the show there are smart and are doing what needs to be done. There's no cover-up. There's no excuses. They're calling a spade a spade and moving on.

Here, we're 180 degrees away from that. There are excuses for everything, there's zero accountability, and there's no action to back up the talk that we're building through the draft. MB doesn't need to re-build to the extent the Leafs are, but he does need to be more consistent with what he's saying, and that starts with replacing the organization's entire coaching staff (save Waite) and getting his young guns into the line-up. We've wasted time with developing Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pateryn, Eller, Sekac, even Subban... and now the same with the next generation. Our lines next year need to reflect a conscious decision to play skill in skill positions and not sell out to grit.

a4a1459be4b4b61ccf0bfce4032ee4a1.jpg

Guest Regis2

You wanna give some of the younger players an opportunity , then get a new coach who will give them their chance

The guy we got now sticks with the guys he's familiar with