The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 Habs Lines

BigTed3

You wanna give some of the younger players an opportunity , then get a new coach who will give them their chance

The guy we got now sticks with the guys he's familiar with

I would be all too happy to get a new coach who isn't using strategies from the 90s.

Unfortunately it looks to me like the next season is pretty much going to be a carbon copy of this one with the odd minor tweak. I don't foresee any blockbuster trades involving Stamkos, Drouin etc, as they wouldn't fit in this coach's grinding philosophy as opposed to skill, a sound pp and consistent puck possession.

The current coach and management are a huge disappointment. Add to the fact that Mr. Molson is willing to accept the status quo is beyond bewildering.

Unfortunately it looks to me like the next season is pretty much going to be a carbon copy of this one with the odd minor tweak. I don't foresee any blockbuster trades involving Stamkos, Drouin etc, as they wouldn't fit in this coach's grinding philosophy as opposed to skill, a sound pp and consistent puck possession.

The current coach and management are a huge disappointment. Add to the fact that Mr. Molson is willing to accept the status quo is beyond bewildering.

If there isn't significant change than maybe we should trade Subban, Price and Pacioretty... Trading all 3 of them would give you a hell of a lot and if there's not significant movement next year, we won't be winning with them (we may not be able to even keep them all) so better to move on and rebuild

Guest Regis2

Unfortunately it looks to me like the next season is pretty much going to be a carbon copy of this one with the odd minor tweak.

That's my feeling

Seeing as they have faith in MT , the season is going to ride on CP's knee

Get ready for the 2017 draft lottery.

I actually think we're going to have a strong year next year - assuming we're moderately healthy. We just have too much talent to have another year like last. When things are going well, I think MT will, at very least, not have to do much - meaning he will do ok. Remember, Carbonneau looked like a pretty decent coach when we were winning. He just imploded when we had an extended loss streak. Therrien looked awesome to start the season last year. Then Price went down & he couldnt adjust. Of course this makes it even more frustrating he wasnt fired when they had a chance because now its going to be nearly impossible to do.

The real test is going to be in the playoffs. I have a sneaking suspicion our Veteran leaders will forcibly take the team on their backs & win - almost in spite of Therrien.

I predict a top 4 eastern conference finish (maybe higher if we manage to sign a guy like Stamkos) and maybe as far as 3rd round in the post season. But obviously all of this will most likely hinge on Price.

I predict a top 4 eastern conference finish (maybe higher if we manage to sign a guy like Stamkos) and maybe as far as 3rd round in the post season. But obviously all of this will most likely hinge on Price.

But why would the fans and the team settle for anything less than Lord Stanley's Cup?

But why would the fans and the team settle for anything less than Lord Stanley's Cup?

And therein lies the problem. I think this team, with this coaching staff is good enough to be a top 4 team in the playoffs. I am not certain, without a coaching change, if we can win it all. Even if Price goes on one of his super human runs.

• 3 weeks later...

My lines would be these one

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

Lekonen-(Dubois if we can have him or a Trade)-Carr

(Trade)-Plekanec or Desharnais-Andrighetto

Danault-Mitchell-Byron

Subban-Barberio

Markov-Petry

Hanley-Beaulieu

Price-Condon

Trade:Desharnais or Plekanec, Eller, Emelin. This could free about 10 millions

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I posted on 11 Sep last year under "2015-16 Habs lines" that Eller will eventually be traded to ensure DD centres the 3rd line ;) . You can check the archives to verify my statement.

Doesn't take a genius to foresee this day would eventually come to pass B) . And it has :lol: .

I know it's early and there's plenty of time left before the season starts but I can't help but laugh at our current selection of forwards.

Legit top 6 players: Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher

Potential top 6 players: Plekanec (declining), Desharnais (needs favorable matchups), Shaw (fill-in)

Prospects: Andrighetto, Danault, Carr, De La Rose, McCarron, Matteau, Lessio

4th line: Flynn, Mitchell, Byron

I'm not even going into possible line combinations but that's certainly not what I'd call a contender. The current group is imbalanced, lacks offensive acumen, and simply isn't good enough in my opinion.

Well, I posted on 11 Sep last year under "2015-16 Habs lines" that Eller will eventually be traded to ensure DD centres the 3rd line ;) . You can check the archives to verify my statement.

Doesn't take a genius to foresee this day would eventually come to pass B) . And it has :lol: .

According to MB, the Eller trade was made because the team needed cap space for Shaw and because they foresee Danault slotting into the 3rd line center role, not Desharnais. It does bode the question though, how Galchenyuk, Plekanec, and Desharnais will fit into the line-up, as well as McCarron, whom the organization seems to want to keep at center.

I would have to guess that MB/MT envision a line-up right now that looks something like this:

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher (MT has stated he will start the year with this as his first line)

Andrighetto-Plekanec-Shaw

Byron-Danault-Carr

Desharnais-McCarron-Mitchell

Flynn, DLR

It's a pretty bad line-up. It actually looks worse than last year's, with Eller missing. It still lacks scoring wingers. And I don't see either of those bottom two lines producing any sort of offence. This team needs to add to its offence big time or we're in trouble.

we need to sign Shaw to a good contract and not the 4.5 million nonsense he's asking for but if we can do that, I don't think we're done, I'm quite certain we will sign at least one top 6 forward

I hope so, but I'll believe it when I see it. MB hasn't committed enough to skill players for me to have faith he understands the need.

I would have to guess that MB/MT envision a line-up right now that looks something like this:

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher (MT has stated he will start the year with this as his first line)

Byron-Danault-Carr

Flynn, DLR

Nightmarish stuff, that. A recipe for about 80 points if Carey Price doesn't do a fantastic Hašek impression.

Guest Regis2

Byron-Danault-Carr

Flynn, DLR

It's a pretty bad line-up. It actually looks worse than last year's, with Eller missing. It still lacks scoring wingers. And I don't see either of those bottom two lines producing any sort of offence. This team needs to add to its offence big time or we're in trouble.

yea , the 2n 3rs and fourth line's look like scoring machines, with character of course

Assuming no further moves (which is not advisable), I'd prefer to see

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-McCarron

Hudon-Plekanec-Gallagher

Andrighetto-Danault-Shaw

Lessio-Mitchell-Carr

But that's a really small line-up, even without Byron, DD, and Flynn inserted. And a lot of young guys, although I don't see much other choice unless Bergevin gets his act together.

Guest habs1952

According to MB, the Eller trade was made because the team needed cap space for Shaw and because they foresee Danault slotting into the 3rd line center role, not Desharnais. It does bode the question though, how Galchenyuk, Plekanec, and Desharnais will fit into the line-up, as well as McCarron, whom the organization seems to want to keep at center.

Byron-Danault-Carr

Flynn, DLR

So, who do we pick first overall in next year's draft?

Assuming no further moves (which is not advisable), I'd prefer to see

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-McCarron

Hudon-Plekanec-Gallagher

Andrighetto-Danault-Shaw

Lessio-Mitchell-Carr

But that's a really small line-up, even without Byron, DD, and Flynn inserted. And a lot of young guys, although I don't see much other choice unless Bergevin gets his act together.

Do not see Daneaut or Hudon making the team. McCarron will not be on the first line.

Do not see Daneaut or Hudon making the team. McCarron will not be on the first line.

MB has already stated he sees Danault as taking over the third-line center role. Like you, I don't think Hudon is appreciated by the organization and is a long-shot to make the squad, and I don't think Therrien will give McCarron top 6 time. But this is what I would personally prefer to see over getting Byron or DLR or Flynn or so on in that spot.

RxNp1Bj.jpg

Weise isn't resigned (yet), but it seems likely at this point.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Weise — The privilege line rides again!

Carr-Plekanec-Gallagher — Grit! Defensive responsibility! Grinding! Grit!

Galchenyuk-Danault-Shaw — Minimize Galchenyuk's defensive liability by putting him with two gritty grinders

Byron-Mitchell-Flynn — C h a r a c t e r

Emelin-Weber — Hard-workin' stay-at-home defence!

Markov-Barberio — As per our GM, Markov is working out great.

Pateryn-Petry