The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 Habs Lines

BigTed3

Weise isn't resigned (yet), but it seems likely at this point.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Weise — The privilege line rides again!

Carr-Plekanec-Gallagher — Grit! Defensive responsibility! Grinding! Grit!

Galchenyuk-Danault-Shaw — Minimize Galchenyuk's defensive liability by putting him two gritty grinders

Byron-Mitchell-Flynn — C h a r a c t e r

Emelin-Weber — Hard-workin' stay-at-home defence!

Markov-Barberio — As per our GM, Markov is working out great.

Pateryn-Petry

LOL

Markov-Weber is scary.

Markov - Petry

Barberio - Weber

Beaulieu - Emelin

Would be better I think. Or maybe switch Beaulieu with Barberio. Therrien won't do it though. He'll run Markov and Weber and the opposing forwards will skate circles around them. Regardless, it's a whole lot worse than it was yesterday.

Defense is a tire fire now.

Markov-Weber

Emelin-Petry

Beaulieu-Barberio?

Funniest thing will be that Petry is gonna carry Emelin and it will actually be a reasonably good pairing while Markov-Weber will get eaten alive.

Average Webov shift against competent teams: 1:45 in the defensive zone and a goal against.

Petry is now the true #1. We literally are the Oilers.

Markov-Weber is scary.

Markov - Petry

Barberio - Weber

Beaulieu - Emelin

Would be better I think. Or maybe switch Beaulieu with Barberio. Therrien won't do it though. He'll run Markov and Weber and the opposing forwards will skate circles around them. Regardless, it's a whole lot worse than it was yesterday.

This would be better but you don't go out and bring in a big name brand superstar like Weber to put him next to Barberio. Remember, they think Weber is actually still elite, and they think Markov is actually still good without Subban. They're going to run Markov-Weber until it becomes painfully obvious it's not working, then god only knows what they come up with. Emelin-Weber probably lol.

IMO only way this disaster is salvageable is:

Beaulieu-Petry

Barberio-Weber

Markov-Pateryn/Emelin.

Average Webov shift against competent teams: 1:45 in the defensive zone and a goal against.

Petry is now the true #1. We literally are the Oilers.

Sucks. I'm at the point where I'm hoping with all my heart that Weber is paired with Beaulieu or Barberio because he NEEDS a puck mover and someone more mobile with him. Hilarious. We're praying the "#1 elite" defender gets Beaulieu so his pairing doesn't get cratered, while PK Subban could make an inanimate carbon rod (or Murray, Gorges, Gill, or Bouillon) look like a top 4 defender.

Id actually be surprised if the defense we have right now is what we start the year with in October.

There seems to be a lot of rumblings that Bergevin is wanting to make some more very big moves. God lets hope that at least a few of them involve us winning the trade....

Everyone is so negative about the defence. I think we all forget that Petry is actually an above average skater and puck mover and was injured for most of last year.

Weber is still a 1-2 defensemen.

Emelin is tough to play against and is still throwing his body around.

Through all the garbage last year, Beaulieu and Pateryn were emerging into a reliable two way defensemen.

Barberio is a very underrated skater.

The only issue I see is Markov as his age is definitely catching up to him. But he is still a smart player with managed minutes.

There are a few interesting options (all are under 30) that should come at a reasonable price. Schultz, Weircoch, Schenn, Russell, Demers.

I see:

Weber - Petry

UFA? - Markov

Beaulieu - Emelin

Barberio - Pateryn

Putting all the drama aside for a second, and thinking in terms of different variables going our way, we could have a solid line up. We still don't a complete second line but a young guy could come up (its only one spot) and if the other 2 parts are clicking it doesn't always matter that your top 6 isn't complete.

THE BIGGEST issue is who on this team is going to play with Weber? I would feel a lot better if MB found a way to get a good mobile LD in trade.

Putting all the drama aside for a second, and thinking in terms of different variables going our way, we could have a solid line up. We still don't a complete second line but a young guy could come up (its only one spot) and if the other 2 parts are clicking it doesn't always matter that your top 6 isn't complete.

THE BIGGEST issue is who on this team is going to play with Weber? I would feel a lot better if MB found a way to get a good mobile LD in trade.

We're bringing back Douglas Murray

So Weber, Markov, Petry, Beaulieu, Pateryn, Barberio, Emelin, Sergachev (just signed) with Juulsen, Lernout?

Do we really want to see this kid up with the big boys and have Therrien BREAK ing him in?

You know it's going to happen as much as I don't want to see it

Guess the other option would be sending him to the farm to our other prize coach :blink: .

I vote we send him back to junior until our coaching mess is straightened out.

This would be better but you don't go out and bring in a big name brand superstar like Weber to put him next to Barberio. Remember, they think Weber is actually still elite, and they think Markov is actually still good without Subban. They're going to run Markov-Weber until it becomes painfully obvious it's not working, then god only knows what they come up with. Emelin-Weber probably lol.

IMO only way this disaster is salvageable is:

Beaulieu-Petry

Barberio-Weber

Markov-Pateryn/Emelin.Sucks. I'm at the point where I'm hoping with all my heart that Weber is paired with Beaulieu or Barberio because he NEEDS a puck mover and someone more mobile with him. Hilarious. We're praying the "#1 elite" defender gets Beaulieu so his pairing doesn't get cratered, while PK Subban could make an inanimate carbon rod (or Murray, Gorges, Gill, or Bouillon) look like a top 4 defender.

Yeah, Weber will definitely be on the top pairing. Hopefully Beaulieu can take the next step and become a legit top 2. Otherwise Price will be seeing even more rubber than usual(well without Subban I think that's a given, but hopefully the damage will be limited). I think the best we can realistically hope for is something like

Beaulieu - Weber

Barberio - Petry

Markov - Emelin/Pateryn/Redmond

Though Markov and Barberio would probably be switched because Therrien doesn't seem to want to limt Markov's minutes. And this would only happen after weeks of failure from Markov - Weber. Up fron I think something like this could work very well:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Radulov

Lehkonen/Carr/Hudon - Plekanec - Gallagher

Shaw - Desharnais - Andrighetto/Lehkonen/Carr

Mitchell - Danault - Byron

Flynn

With Price in net that looks pretty darn good. Sucks Subban isn't part of it.

Guess the other option would be sending him to the farm to our other prize coach :blink: .

I vote we send him back to junior until our coaching mess is straightened out.

I don't think he can play in the AHL till he's 20.

Yeah, Weber will definitely be on the top pairing. Hopefully Beaulieu can take the next step and become a legit top 2. Otherwise Price will be seeing even more rubber than usual(well without Subban I think that's a given, but hopefully the damage will be limited). I think the best we can realistically hope for is something like

Beaulieu - Weber

Barberio - Petry

Though Markov and Barberio would probably be switched because Therrien doesn't seem to want to limt Markov's minutes. And this would only happen after weeks of failure from Markov - Weber. Up fron I think something like this could work very well:

Flynn

With Price in net that looks pretty darn good. Sucks Subban isn't part of it.

I don't think he can play in the AHL till he's 20.

that looks good to you? we have a decent first line and everything else looks like crap

Flynn

Except this isn't what we'll get at all ...

Pacioretty - DD - Gallagher

Carr - Plekenec - Shaw

Andrighetto - Galchenyuk - Radulov

Mitchel - Danault - Byron

That will probably be our opening night lineup ... this will ast for about 2-3 weeks until this is what we get

Patches - DD - Gallagher

Carr - Plekenec - Byron

Galchenyuk - Shaw - Danault

Flynn - Mitchell - Radulov

For another 2-3 weeks before Radulov migrates to the press box and stays there for the rest of season to be replaced by some 4th line grit player who sucks.

that looks good to you? we have a decent first line and everything else looks like crap

Yeah it does. It depends how the rookies do of course, but I'm pretty high on them. Also Gallagher is on the second line so even without a good left winger he'll drive the play. That fourth line is a good defensive line that can free up easier minutes for the others. I think people's standards are too high, go look at other rosters this is better than most.

Except this isn't what we'll get at all ...

Pacioretty - DD - Gallagher

Carr - Plekenec - Shaw

Andrighetto - Galchenyuk - Radulov

Mitchel - Danault - Byron

That will probably be our opening night lineup ... this will ast for about 2-3 weeks until this is what we get

Patches - DD - Gallagher

Carr - Plekenec - Byron

Galchenyuk - Shaw - Danault

Flynn - Mitchell - Radulov

For another 2-3 weeks before Radulov migrates to the press box and stays there for the rest of season to be replaced by some 4th line grit player who sucks.

Look, I'm no Therrien fan but after the way last season ended not even he is dumb enough to take Galchenyuk off the first line.

Yeah it does. It depends how the rookies do of course, but I'm pretty high on them. Also Gallagher is on the second line so even without a good left winger he'll drive the play. That fourth line is a good defensive line that can free up easier minutes for the others. I think people's standards are too high, go look at other rosters this is better than most.

Look, I'm no Therrien fan but after the way last season ended not even he is dumb enough to take Galchenyuk off the first line.

I think you highly underestimate just how incompetent this man is

I don't even want to contemplate just how long he'll leave Weber and Markov together while 2/3 of the league skates past them night after night.

Beaulieu - Weber

Barberio - Petry

Flynn

Beaulieu-Weber could possibly work if Beaulieu takes a reasonable (but not impossible) leap, and even then he's going to run into the same problems Subban had with Markov because Weber's not going to match Beaulieu's skating. It won't be quite as brutal, but it'll still happen. I think you're being a bit generous, though, if you think it'll only take a few weeks of failure from Markov-Weber for Therrien to break it up. Short leash or not, he just does not understand modern hockey. Their failure will be everyone else's fault. Woe to us all if Galchenyuk is on the ice when it happens. I think there's a better chance he gets fired before he changes the pair, and I doubt Bergevin fires him anyway. I think it's much more likely we end up seeing Emelin and Weber together for long stretches of time "to bring a physical presence" or some similar nonsense.

Oh, and you know Weber's reputation of "playing big minutes"? Michel Therrien, as a reminder, is the coach who played a nearly 37 year old Andrei Markov ~25+ minutes six times last October, and 23 times in the last two months of the season after it was obvious we weren't making the playoffs. Imagine how much he'll play him now.

Nothing about Michel Therrien's second stint here should make anyone believe that David Desharnais will stay in the bottom 6 for more than a half dozen or so games. Therrien has consistently elevated him time and again even though it's obvious to essentially every other living entity on earth that Desharnais doesn't belong in an NHL scoring role. Carr-Desharnais-Gallagher sounds pretty realistic as a second line to me. I suppose it could be worse. Which sets up Shaw-Plekanec-Whoever as the third line. I wouldn't be surprised if Danault gets put there and Mitchell-Flynn-Byron happens.

I agree. The trade looks like it might kill us in 5 or more years but for a year or two - on paper at least - our roster isnt really "worse" than last year...at this point i think all you can say is that its different.

I would probably try the following lines - and hope like anything that Muller can teach Therrien that they have to give the guys a chance to prove themselves & not just dump them if they dont click immediately.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Radulov - Bonefide #1 line.

Andrighetto - McCarron - Gallagher - Excellent young exploitation line.

Daneault - Plekanec - Shaw - Bonefide shut down line

Byron - Mitchell - Matteau - Energy 4th line who can still play moderately good defense.

I am under the assumption that the rumors are true (DD will be traded or bought out) but i also think my lineup above includes players who will still be traded before opening night. So while i have left out some guys (Carr, Hudon etc) I think they may get their shot anyway.

Defense, as noted, is much trickier. I am not sure who can handle the minutes / compliment Weber's game but i *think* id try Beaulieu there first. Id love to think that Sergachev is ready but Im not sure & even then, dont know if id play him in my top 4.

Beaulieu - Weber

Barberio - Petry

Markov - Pateryn

Alternates: Redmond Sergachev (maybe)

I have a sneaking feeling that Emelin will be gone by opening night. I am pretty sure he's being shopped. Our roster doesnt concern me too much - i think Beaulieu would be fine next to Weber & I actually think they'd make a pretty solid 1st pairing. In some ways they might be better than PK + Anyone else because no one else on our roster could think like him/keep up.

Petry is your ideal #3. I just dont know who id play him with. I think Barberio would be out of his depth. Markov is too old. Pateryn is a 3rd pairing guy, as is the new guy (Redmond) Maybe Sergachev is ready and maybe he cracks our 2nd pairing but thats iffy at best.

So.... i think our 1st pairing will be actually quite good. I think our 3rd pairing will be fine. I think Petry will be great on our 2nd but i dont know who the heck he's going to play with.