The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 Habs Lines

BigTed3

Guest Regis2

If Dale Weiss and Thomas Fleischmann are worth a 2nd in 2018, then you should be able to get a couple of firsts in 2018 for Eller and Desharnais. There's got to be at least 1 or 2 short-sighted GM's in the league who'd make those moves.

Nope , a couple of 2nds

\Yeah, he's GM of the Habs

Continuing a thought.

I stopped to think about this further, and I had a thought: we have to insulate not one but two defencemen, Markov and Emelin. Do we put them together to play very limited bottom pair minutes to keep the other pairs functional?

If you look at our D corps, you have Weber and Pateryn on the right and Markov and Emelin on the left, all of whom are not extremely mobile. The guys who are better skaters are Beaulieu, Barberio, and Petry. So ideally, you want those three guys in the line-up and you want them on different pairings. So that's why I agree with those who have posted that something like this makes the most sense:

Beaulieu-Weber

Markov-Petry

Barberio-Pateryn

Emelin is the odd guy out, and if he's rotating in, it should ideally be for Markov.

Continuing a thought.

I stopped to think about this further, and I had a thought: we have to insulate not one but two defencemen, Markov and Emelin. Do we put them together to play very limited bottom pair minutes to keep the other pairs functional?

I don't know, I think you're being hard on both of them. I think Markov would a great second pairing defenseman next to Petry and I think Emelin is an OUTSTANDING (and overpaid) bottom pairing defenseman. Our real problem is who is number 2 given he HAS to be mobile? So that's on Beaulieu or Sergachev

I don't know, I think you're being hard on both of them. I think Markov would a great second pairing defenseman next to Petry and I think Emelin is an OUTSTANDING (and overpaid) bottom pairing defenseman. Our real problem is who is number 2 given he HAS to be mobile? So that's on Beaulieu or Sergachev

I don't think we can count on Sergachev to be a top pairing guy. But I also don't think we need to call Beaulieu the #2 just because he's playing next to Weber. Beaulieu should be playing there because he's the only guy who has the skill and the legs to get that much ice, as well as the skating ability to make up for Weber's lack of speed.

However, I think the team would need to look at Petry as being the de facto #2 guy, kind of like how Hamrlik was always the #2 to Markov despite the fact they didn't play on the same pairing. I think we need to be asking Beaulieu to be the #3 guy in terms of ice and being able to play both special teams though. And I think we need to be able to use Emelin and Barberio in ways to limit Markov's wear and tear. As for Emelin himself, sure, he's a decent 3rd pairing guy, but he's been used as a 2nd or even 1st pairing player and he's been used on the right side, where he was awful. He is, as you said, a decent 3rd-pairing guy, but I look at Barberio and Pateryn and see better value for the cap hits they're on. If Emelin were making 900k a season or even 1.5M a season I'd have absolutely no issue with keeping him on the third pair. At over 4M, he's costing us an upgrade for our 2nd line LW spot.

If you look at our D corps, you have Weber and Pateryn on the right and Markov and Emelin on the left, all of whom are not extremely mobile. The guys who are better skaters are Beaulieu, Barberio, and Petry. So ideally, you want those three guys in the line-up and you want them on different pairings. So that's why I agree with those who have posted that something like this makes the most sense:

Beaulieu-Weber

Markov-Petry

Barberio-Pateryn

Emelin is the odd guy out, and if he's rotating in, it should ideally be for Markov.

I like these lines a lot. Obviously not going to happen with this organization, but I'd like to see Sergachev beat out guys for a top-pairing spot this fall.

Barring further trades, this is what I wouldn't mind seeing at forward....

Max Pacioretty L
Alex Galchenyuk C
Brendan Gallagher R

Tomas Plekanec C
Andrew Shaw C
Alexander Radulov R

OR

Alexander Radulov R
Tomas Plekanec C
Andrew Shaw C

Daniel Carr L
David Desharnais C
Sven Andrighetto R

Paul Byron L
Torrey Mitchell C
Brian Flynn C

I think our top 3 looks better than it has in a few years. With the addition of rad and the break out Chuck had last season.

My only issue is, who is our 2nd line centre?

Pleks is starting to slow and Shaw, who may be the best 3rd line centre, are just that, 3rd line centres.

With Pleks age, i don't think we actually have a true 2nd line centre. And no, DD is not the answer either.

I like Shaw, I think he and Pleks make a great option on our 3rd line, but neither imo are true top 2nd line centres, neither was lars imo.

I have a few dollars to bet on whom MT will give 1st shot at that 2nd line center position. I imagine he'll get a healthy stint there too.

Im still holding out (misguided, i am sure) hope that MB will get rid of that option before October

I have a few dollars to bet on whom MT will give 1st shot at that 2nd line center position. I imagine he'll get a healthy stint there too.

Im still holding out (misguided, i am sure) hope that MB will get rid of that option before October

My gut is that MT will go Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Desharnais-Danault down the middle. I have a hard time seeing how he can recant on his statement that Pacman-Galchenyuk-Gallagher would be his first line to start the year, barring a Radulov insertion on the right. I can't see him moving Plekanec off the dot and I can't see him playing Pleky lower than the 2nd line. I think he'll favor keeping DD at center too, so I think he gets the 3rd line, as he did last year with Fleischmann and Weise. And the Habs seem to think Danault will take tough defensive minutes, so I think he starts on the 4th line over Mitchell (which is a problem, as it gives us no right-handed center).

I think MT might end up doing something like

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

Byron-Plekanec-Radulov

Andrighetto-Desharnais-Shaw

McCarron-Danault-Mitchell

Flynn, DLR

It shows the huge need to upgrade the 2nd line LW position, because I am terribly afraid MT will let Byron or Shaw play there.

My gut is that MT will go Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Desharnais-Danault down the middle. I have a hard time seeing how he can recant on his statement that Pacman-Galchenyuk-Gallagher would be his first line to start the year, barring a Radulov insertion on the right. I can't see him moving Plekanec off the dot and I can't see him playing Pleky lower than the 2nd line. I think he'll favor keeping DD at center too, so I think he gets the 3rd line, as he did last year with Fleischmann and Weise. And the Habs seem to think Danault will take tough defensive minutes, so I think he starts on the 4th line over Mitchell (which is a problem, as it gives us no right-handed center).

Byron-Plekanec-Radulov

Flynn, DLR

It shows the huge need to upgrade the 2nd line LW position, because I am terribly afraid MT will let Byron or Shaw play there.

I find it hard to believe that MB invested as much as he did (while giving up Lars Eller to boot) to let MT use Shaw as a a third-liner. And though we have seen other defensive types getting second line minutes (like Weise) in the past, my sense is that they may want two similar type top lines... with a finisher, play-maker and agitator that will go to the net. So IMO Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher; Radulov-Plekanec-Shaw. I believe the experiment with Desharnais as third line center at the start of last year will get another go this season as well (unless DD is traded somehow... though I doubt that happens). If Danault is valued as much as it seems, he will probably get the chance to play left-wing with DD (he isn't a center). I believe that would leave one of Andrighetto or McCarron to play right-wing. Byron will most likely be used as a defensive forward/penalty killer from the 4th line with Mitchell and Flynn. Carr likely is the odd man out and remains a spare along with one other forward (possibly McCarron). This, of course, is based on current roster players (with the exception of McCarron perhaps). Training camp may bring some surprises but with the past conservative approach of going with veteran/established players It would be unlikely.

Defense is set with the exception of perhaps Sergachyov making the team out of camp and the possibility that a d-man is traded.

Byron-Plekanec-Radulov

Flynn, DLR

I don't mind these lines, but don't think we're getting the best from our 2nd line down.

I'd keep Mitchy as our 4th line centre and switch AndyG and paul. Paul has speed, we've all seen it, but AndyG has better offensive skill and paul has more experience in bottom 6 roles. AndyG has more experience in an offensive top 6 role.

I know MT will probably give the 3rd line centre to DD. I'd like to see DD as a winger and Shaw/Daneault as our centre. Think Shaw/Daneault/DLR is better suited to go up against other centres, doing what Shaw does best and keeping them off their game. Daneault and or DLR can use their size to shadow other big centres.

I really don't mind DD, I feel he has better vision and passing than Lars ever had, but his biggest hang up, his size. Lars had the size that DD needed and DD had the vision and creativity that was missing from Lars' game, imo. People said M St Louis was too small, yet he made a career setting up snipers from the Right wing (and making them look better than they were, cough**Vinny**cough). He didn't have to go up against hard checking, big bodied centres, like DD has to, no matter what line. I'm really surprised DD lasted as long as he did without a LTI.

Doesn't seem like MT has seriously considered putting DD on wing, since he's only really played centre under MT regime. With the exception of a handful of games at wing.

As a 3rd line who can shut down and possibly add some goals, I'd like PaulB on lw, Shaw centre and DD rw. Obviously this isn't an offensive trio, but if either Shaw or DD can get the puck up to Byron, we know he can fly with a little bit of open ice. They might be able to surprise opponents who expect them to be strictly shut down trio.

I don't know if I'd keep them as a permanent trio, but wouldn't mind seeing what it would give. They may end up being the highest paid 3rd line in the NHL. :lol:

I like shaw, not sure he's a 2nd line centre. Hope that isn't what they acquired him for. I like him as a filler, use him at wing on our 2nd line, if we need some grit-depending on our opponent, but ultimately playing a shut down, grinder, pesky role as our 3rd line centre.

Still young at 24, but doubt he'll develop into a playmaking, top 6 centre.

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go! By game 5, I expect the lines to be... :ph34r:

Max Pacioretty - David Desharnais - Brendan Gallagher

Paul Byron - Tomas Plekanec - Andrew Shaw

Alex Galchenyuk - Philip Danault - Daniel Carr

Sven Andrighetto - Torrey Mitchell - Brian Flynn

Alexander Radulov banished to the KHL for a neutral zone turnover.

:lol::lol: We can all laugh, but... It will probably be true. :wacko::unsure:

Here we go! By game 5, I expect the lines to be... :ph34r:

Max Pacioretty - David Desharnais - Brendan Gallagher

Paul Byron - Tomas Plekanec - Andrew Shaw

Alex Galchenyuk - Philip Danault - Daniel Carr

Sven Andrighetto - Torrey Mitchell - Brian Flynn

Alexander Radulov banished to the KHL for a neutral zone turnover.

:lol::lol: We can all laugh, but... It will probably be true. :wacko::unsure:

my over under on radulov is 20 games

very telling list i found.

http://www.cs.unb.ca/~mwf/habs/season.html

all the lines we used together for a minimum of 42 minutes together, total ice time, total pp time.

the ice time is more telling of units who played together, but the pp stats are fascinating

1. patch plek gallagher

2. chuck- dd - weise !!!!!!!!!!!!

peruse at your leisure

I don't think rad will have any issues in the NHL.

He's a proven scorer, scored more goals than Kovalchuk in the KHL last season.

I don't think anyone would have to think if Kovalchuk would have issues here. Plus,. Rad is a little younger than kovalchuk.

I don't think rad will have any issues in the NHL.

He's a proven scorer, scored more goals than Kovalchuk in the KHL last season.

I don't think anyone would have to think if Kovalchuk would have issues here. Plus,. Rad is a little younger than kovalchuk.

The question is... will Rad have issues with Michel Therrien?

The question is... will Rad have issues with Michel Therrien?

He's grittier, which is something MT likes. Sometimes felt he'd take grit over skill on some occasions.

He loved DLR a few seasons back and DLR is NOT known for offense. He has a good defensive game, plays with some grit, uses his big frame well, but isn't an offensive threat. rad on the other hand, think he'll be fine.

Patch who has a decent 2 way game, with the exception of last season, has done well within MT's system. Even in a lost season, Patch still netted 30 goals.

Not worried about rad. Think he may be the FA signing of the off season.

• 1 month later...

He's grittier, which is something MT likes. Sometimes felt he'd take grit over skill on some occasions.

Yeah, I actually think Radulov and MT will become fast friends. He's labeled as a "typical skilled russian' but truth is, he plays more of a NA style. Besides, if he does produce the way I think he will, MT will for sure love him.

From EOTP:

MT confirms with @TonyMarinaro #Habs Top 6 lines to start: Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher. Shaw-Plek-Radulov #TSN690 @TSN690 #Habs

Not a fan of this. I mean Im happy with most of the top 6 but i think Radulov is way better suited to #1 RW (in turn, gallagher would be one of the best 2nd line RW in the league) and Pleks / Shaw should be part of our third line.

2nd line centre is a concern, but I think it should be McCarron's to lose at this point. Pleks is winding down his career & will be an excellent 3rd line centre for a few more years, McCarron is just coming into his own & should be allowed to try that 2nd pivot spot - especially with Chucky and Pleks getting the tougher matchups.

That said, the fact that DD is not listed in this group of 6 is at least a huge positive.

I don't hate the opening night top 6, at least he's better than Weise but Shaw on the second line just feels so same old, I would really have loved to see Lehkonen there. I don't mind Radulov on the "2nd" line. I know Radulov is more of a skill player than Gallagher but I don't think it's a given that he's actually a more effective NHL player than Gallagher.