The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 Habs Lines

BigTed3

7 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Can we find a way to get Byron, Flynn, and Mitchell spread out across the top three lines? That would be ideal for getting an early season tank going.

This is gonna break the record for the earliest 'tank talk' to start the season. 

So right now its hard to find fault in the team but there are a few things that seem problematic. 

I think our defense groupings look pretty good. There are some minor things -  Im not sure if i would dress Emelin over Pateryn, for example - but they arent glaring. Im fine with the d.

Up front I think our top line and our 4th line are both fine.  Our 2nd and 3rd concern me a little.  

We've been facing some pretty easy matchups (Yeah the pens were in there but they were lifeless, and crosbyless) so things havent been exploited but i think our lack of a good defensive line is going to hurt us if we dont address it. 

I would love to look at a top 9 something like:

Patches - Galchenyuk - Gallagher (or Radulov)
Lekhonen - McCarron - Radulov (or Gallagher)
Carr - Plekanec - Shaw

What this does is give us a true #1, good solid exploitation line and a proper checking line. I know its really premature but I have a sense that Plekanec is going to have a subpar year, offensively and i think its silly to give his line the tough defensive assignments (effectively wasting Radulov and Lehkonen).    I know that MT wont dress McCarron over DD and maybe I could live with: 

Patches - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Lekhonen - DD - Radulov
Carr - Plekanec - Shaw

On 14/10/2016 at 2:06 PM, jeff33 said:

1. exactly what i suggested in the first place. makes too much sense, wont happen on this team

2. its not too early. pleks is a non factor offensively for some time now. he should have been traded instead of extended, and if we were to extend him he should be our 3c and eller 2c. as it is it makes way more sense that he plays on a more responsible line and allow chuck and rad to play pure offense.

rad isnt going to produce playing with plek and thats open season for some coach T pigeonholing to begin

ignore the eller comments, i just had to respost for relevance after a few more games. rad is looking like a gamebreaker, easily our best forward in my eyes. plek looks like a total non factor.  how long does it take to do the obvious, or do we even do it at all

Plekanec has been a problem thus far. There are multiple potential solutions, including just letting them play through it or else swapping Galchenyuk and Plekanec, but no matter what the answer is, I think the right answer is not Paul Byron playing on the top line. I think Plekanec has struggled, and even though Lehkonen has had some good moments, I think he can do more with another center. I actually wouldn't mind seeing a line of Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Gallagher. So as much as I dislike putting DD in the top 6, I think Plekanec could use some time on line 3 and I'm not sure we have too many other options right now, having gotten rid of Eller. So...

Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Radulov

Carr-Plekanec-Shaw

Byron-Mitchell-Danault

Another option would be calling up McCarron and giving him that spot between Pacman and Radu, but I personally like Mac as a right winger better. If we had not made the Eller-Shaw trade-off then what would have been perfect would have been

Pacioretty-Eller-Radulov

Carr-Plekanec-McCarron

Byron-Mitchell-Danault

9 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

I too have been kind of wanting to see Lehkonen with Chucky and Gally. I think it could click and Lehkonen back checks quite well too so no real issues there.

I like the potential there, but the caveat is that I would want that to be my first line. I want that line to get good offensive minutes. A Pacman-DD-Radu line wouldn't really be a 2nd line per se, more of a 1b, and obviously the coach could adjust in-game which line gets more minutes based on how they're playing but I wouldn't want to see the DD line be anointed line 1 and given all the favors the way they have in the past. Galchenyuk is the best offensive player on the team IMO and he needs to be given a chance to shine.

The right side of the D corps is pretty well set. Weber, Petry, and Pateryn have all been solid, and everyone is sitting in the right chair. the left side, however, is a bit of a disaster. Emelin was very good as a 3rd pairing guy, but he's predictably struggled on the first pairing next to Weber. Beaulieu, similarly, has looked comfortable playing next to Pateryn but seemed to be more panicked on the top duo. Markov has been our worst defenceman to start the year IMO. There are rumors we're still searching for a top 4 defenceman via trade, but the truth is that we'd need to move one of our existing lefties out to make a deal work well.

I think Therrien is making sure the guys get used to playing together right now with Petry and Weber not playing last year. I like the fact he has been able to switch up the pairings without any major concerns. I also like the idea of being able to send a message with Emelin and Weber on the ice together from time to time. Beaulieu has looked good and Pateryn doesn't look too far behind him. We are getting some timely offence from  the dmen as well.

With Sergachev being sent down does Redmond get called up or do we make a deal for another dman?  Time will tell.  Redmond Shoots R fwiw, and we're not really lacking in RD.

I really hope the Emelin-Weber experiment is done though.  I dont mind them against slower more physical teams (games where Emelin always thrives too) but against most opponents this is not an ideal pairing.  

To me, our Right D looks excellent:   Weber - Petry - Pateryn   
But our left leaves a lot to be desired:  Beau - Markov - Emelin 

In a perfect world, id love to move Emelin + ______ & bring in a guy that could slot in between Beau - Markov, so our pairings looked like this:

Beau (or New guy) - Weber
New Guy (or Beau) - Petry
Markov - Pateryn

Obviously, in order to get a "new guy" that could slot in beside Weber we'd either need to give up a substantial + with Emelin (top prospect or 1st) or else we'd have to take on a contract set to expire  (Burns, Shattenkirk  and  Alzner are the top 3 UFA dmen this summer).   Even then I think you'd need to add quite a bit to Emelin to get any of those 3 - and I dont see any of those teams wanting to give up on them this early in the season. 

Redmond is injured and still out another few weeks, he wasn't sent down...

MB said he might call up another D man tomorrow as insurance, hasn't decided yet. Could be Barberio if they want best available, could be someone else if they know it'll be a short stint and they want someone they won't lose on waivers...

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Redmond is injured and still out another few weeks, he wasn't sent down...

MB said he might call up another D man tomorrow as insurance, hasn't decided yet. Could be Barberio if they want best available, could be someone else if they know it'll be a short stint and they want someone they won't lose on waivers...

Right, i forgot about the redmond injury.

With the new CBA if Barberio is brought up, i think as long as he doesnt stay for more than a month he can go back down without being exposed to waivers, can someone confirm or deny this?

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Right, i forgot about the redmond injury.

With the new CBA if Barberio is brought up, i think as long as he doesnt stay for more than a month he can go back down without being exposed to waivers, can someone confirm or deny this?

I believe Barbario pertains to this section. From Wikipedia: "When a player clears waivers and is sent down and then is called up again, he does not have to clear waivers to be sent down again unless he has played ten games or has been "up" for 30 days."

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

Hmmm...could MB be looking at Jacob Trouba even though he's a rightie or would that be too expensive?

Trouba is not an option for the following reasons:

- He has made it clear he wants to play the right side in the top 4, which is his main reason for requesting a trade out of Winnipeg. We can't legitimately offer him that.

- He has stated he prefers to go to an American club, which means we might be unlikely to be able to sign him to a long-term deal.

- Winnipeg is reportedly asking for a young defenceman plus more in return...probably would mean Beaulieu plus something else in a package, which would be a lateral move at best for us

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

- He has made it clear he wants to play the right side in the top 4, which is his main reason for requesting a trade out of Winnipeg. We can't legitimately offer him that.

- He has stated he prefers to go to an American club, which means we might be unlikely to be able to sign him to a long-term deal.

- Winnipeg is reportedly asking for a young defenceman plus more in return...probably would mean Beaulieu plus something else in a package, which would be a lateral move at best for us

Bold negates the rest.

12 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Yeah, the top 4 thing doesnt bother me as much - Petry can play his offside pretty well. The problem with moving Petry to 1st pairing (Petry-Weber) is that our 2nd pair becomes much weaker.  Trouba would make it stronger again but only if he was paired with Beaulieu, who, like you said, we would most likely end up losing in the trade in the first place.  

IMHO there's not a fit there. 

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

2nd line center is a HUGE issue right now. I would call up McCarron and go with

Pacioretty-McCarron-Radulov

Danault-Plekanec-Carr

Byron-Mitchell-Shaw

Lot of money on the 4 th line

14 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Danault-Plekanec-Carr

Byron-Mitchell-Shaw

Lotta money on the third line.

15 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Danault-Plekanec-Carr

Byron-Mitchell-Shaw

:7072:..............someone's missing A,B, C , DD

When your 4th line performs better than your 1st, 2nd & 3rd line there's something dreadfully wrong. Where's Pacioretty, Plekanec (the 6 million dollar man) and all the other veterans etc???

Coach MT is like a lost ship without a compass and the players are spiraling out of control as a result (except for Price) IMO.

7 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

When your 4th line performs better than your 1st, 2nd & 3rd line there's something dreadfully wrong. Where's Pacioretty, Plekanec (the 6 million dollar man) and all the other veterans etc???

Coach MT is like a lost ship without a compass and the players are spiraling out of control as a result (except for Price) IMO.

The 4th line seems to be the only line making a total effort TOGETHER.