The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016 World Cup of Hockey, Sept. 17 to Oct. 1, 2016

kinot-1

Eight teams to compete in a best-on-best international hockey championship.

The National Hockey League and the National Hockey League Players' Association announced today the schedule for the 2016 World Cup of Hockey. From Sept. 17 to Oct. 1, 2016, eight teams - Team Canada, Team Czech Republic, Team Finland, Team Russia, Team Sweden, Team USA, Team Europe and Team North America - will compete in a best-on-best international hockey championship.

The eight teams are split into two Groups, Group A and Group B, for the Preliminary Round (Sept. 17-22), when each team will play its three Group opponents in a round-robin format. Placed in Group A are Team Canada, Team Czech Republic and Team USA, plus Team Europe, a pan-European roster of players from birth countries outside of the Czech Republic, Finland, Russia and Sweden. The four teams in Group B are Team Finland, Team Russia, Team Sweden and Team North America, a selection of the top players from Canada and the United States who are 23 or under as of Oct. 1, 2016.

All Times Eastern (GMT -5)

All Games Played at Air Canada Centre, Toronto

Team Canada's roster will be announced tonight at 6 PM, EST. on Sportsnet.

Complete schedule can be found here:

See I can understand Galchenyuk a little more than Subban

But there's no excuse for Vlasic and Muzzin being taken over Subban

Oh, certainly. There's zero—absolutely zero—real reason for Subban not to be on that roster. No possible defence of it whatsoever, particularly considering Canada took the demonstrably and unequivocally inferior Shea Weber, a player who doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same context as P.K. I think the case for Galchenyuk is still a slam dunk, though, considering who the US took.

• 2 months later...

So,,,,Duncan is out and Bowmeister is the replacement. How far down that list is PK anyway? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's a disaster. As someone posted on twitter, "Hockey Canada found out Keith couldn't play so they selected their next-best white defenceman." It just seems like blatant discrimination, whether that's based on race or personality or whatever. Doesn't help the optics that Bergevin is part of the selection committee.

The team keeps saying it wants an equal number of righties and lefties, but they failed to explain why Subban, who is better than Weber and Burns, wasn't one of the top two righties anyways. And, as was also pointed out today, if the team is so picky about putting people in the right places, why were they okay with choosing 12 natural centers among their 13 forwards? Only Marchand is a true winger. Seems like they were willing to make exceptions for that but just weren't willing to put Subban on the roster. In fact, it really seems like they're doing their all to keep him off.

• 2 weeks later...

Doug Armstrong said on Sportsnet that the Canadian team brought in Stephane Waite as goalie coach.

On the discussion re PK being left off the team, I find it very hard to believe that the management of Team Canada would leave PK off the team because of racism, but it certainly "seems" that way. PK is smart enough to know that in international play, defense wins games, and that he can't play "fast and loose", but that's what the coaches are "supposed" to implant in the players minds. Every year, PK is in the Norris trophy discussion, and has won one. How many of these other players who were picked ahead of him to play in the tournament, can say the same? I certainly don't begrudge the "lesser" D-men for being chosen, but PK deserves to be there.

I don't understand why any of the other GMs in the league would want him on their NHL team, but, wouldn't want him on Team Canada.

BTW, Sportsnet will be having a tournament preview tonight at 6 EST.

Doug Armstrong said on Sportsnet that the Canadian team brought in Stephane Waite as goalie coach.

Holtby and Crawford better not be taking notes :ph34r::ph34r: (and yeah, i know CC already worked with him in Chicago, but still, he's OURS :P)

As for Subban, its an absolute joke. Ted already pointed to it but look at it this way:

You can maybe - MAYBE - make an argument for Doughty and Weber over PK. But the rest? Burns? Vlasic? Pietrangelo? Muzzin??? Bouwmeester????

Even Weber and Doughty you could argue against (we've seen all the PK vs Weber comparisons ad nauseam lately) Doughty is pretty much on par with PK from everything ive seen of him out here.

Vlasic & Muzzin are Lefties, ok but PK on his off side is still better than either of those and waaaaay better than Bouwmeester.

Pietrangelo went from being a 'potential elite' defensman a couple of years ago to a pretty good #1. He's not even close to as good as PK or Doughty or Weber.

Muzzin is overrated & probably only brought in so he can play with Doughty (Maybe?) Assuming thats why Bouwmeester is there (to play with Pietrangelo).

Vlasic... again... top 30 in the nhl? probably. top 6-8 in Canada? No.

Burns is the one who really annoys me though. Yes, he had a monster year last year. But every single criticism of PK Subban on the ice should be (and usually is) thrown in Burns' direction too. He's way more prone to defensive lapses than PK, so why is he there & PK sits at home?

The only conclusion I can draw is that the hockey braintrust thinks PK is "too big" for the team which I find nearly ludicrous. Even if we believe he's too big a personality does anyone for one second think a guy like Crosy or Weber or Thornton or Stamkos or Toews etc etc would let one guy showboat? Its just plain ridiculous that we're even having this argument.

Canada always leaves good players off the roster. Thats just a given with the wealth of talent we have, but this one is probably one of the worst omissions ive ever seen.

This is what Babcock said after team Canada won the gold at Sochi, re PK.

"I think he's a great kid," Babcock said. "I didn't know him much, but tons of energy and he's going to continue to grow into a great, great pro. To me he was committed to being better. It's always hard as a high-end athlete anytime someone tells you that you can't play. But he was a great teammate and I enjoyed him a lot, and he was a big part of our team."

If he was such a big part of our team, then why didn't you insist on PK added to the team? Sochi was 2 1/2 years ago,,, has he not grown into a as you said a "great great pro"? In ten days (not including the run-up and exhibition games) you "didn't know him much"? What the hell were you doing? That's your job, get to know the players, that you're coaching!!! Your "big part of the team", only played in one exhibition game for a little over 11 min.

I'm so mad, I could spit nails right now!!!

Bold s mine.

Team Canada will play three exhibition games, starting with back-to-back games against the U.S. Friday in Columbus (7 p.m., Sportsnet, TVA Sports) and Saturday in Ottawa (7 p.m, Sportsnet, TVA Sports). Team Canada’s final exhibition game will be on Wednesday, Sept. 14 against Russia in Pittsburgh.

Caught OT in the Finland-Sweden and most of the third period in the Czech-Russia games. I'm pleasantly surprised. It's pretty good hockey.

I seen the last part of the Czech/Russia game, and late in the game, Markov was trying to fend off Pleks around the Russia net. A Czech player took a SOG and it went in off Pleks, :lol: .

FWIW, the NA team is taking on Team Europe tonight at 8 est. on Sportsnet.

I seen the last part of the Czech/Russia game, and late in the game, Markov was trying to fend off Pleks around the Russia net. A Czech player took a SOG and it went in off Pleks, :lol: .

FWIW, the NA team is taking on Team Europe tonight at 8 est. on Sportsnet.

And ESPN here in the States. :)

I'm surprised they're not showing roller derby instead. :lol:

I'm still ticked that Galchenyuk didn't get asked. :angry:

ESPN is making a big production of it, actually. They've got a studio show for it and everything. They even brought back their classic 90s NHL theme. It's wonderfully nostalgic.

I hope this means ESPN will bid for NHL rights in a few years. NBC does a terrible, terrible job.

ESPN is making a big production of it, actually. They've got a studio show for it and everything. They even brought back their classic 90s NHL theme. It's wonderfully nostalgic.

I hope this means ESPN will bid for NHL rights in a few years. NBC does a terrible, terrible job.

They need a newer logo. :mellow:

Iknow what you mean about NBC. <_<

They might be checking the viewership to test the waters.

Fast game tho. Those kids can really move. :)