The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016 World Cup of Hockey, Sept. 17 to Oct. 1, 2016

kinot-1

Sound familiar :P

Grit and character don't score goals, remember that MB and MT

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/lombardi-doubles-down-on-usa-roster-selection-1.571834

TEAM usa

The choice was grit and character over talent. And it’s why the United States failed to advance past the preliminary round in an international best-on-best tournament for the first time since the 1987 Canada Cup.

Sound familiar :P

Grit and character don't score goals, remember that MB and MT

Ah, but that's not how unfalsifiable magical thinking works!

This entire "grit" enterprise is one big moving goal post. In the eyes of people who are willing to blatantly ignore reality and project things with no tangible basis (or even agreed-upon definition!), it can never really fail. It just wasn't enough. Those no-good players got selfish (or our favourite phrase, "individualistic"). It was bad luck—never mind, of course, that these kind of dumb moves are often justified with "winners make their own luck" or some similar platitude. Just look at any teams in the last 5 or so seasons that walked into this trap. It turns into a bottomless pit; their malaise ends only with the front offices being replaced, and usually a total rebuild.

Ah, but that's not how unfalsifiable magical thinking works!

This entire "grit" enterprise is one big moving goal post. In the eyes of people who are willing to blatantly ignore reality and project things with no tangible basis (or even agreed-upon definition!), it can never really fail. It just wasn't enough. Those no-good players got selfish (or our favourite phrase, "individualistic"). It was bad luck—never mind, of course, that these kind of dumb moves are often justified with "winners make their own luck" or some similar platitude. Just look at any teams in the last 5 or so seasons that walked into this trap. It turns into a bottomless pit; their malaise ends only with the front offices being replaced, and usually a total rebuild.

Case in point: http://www.tsn.ca/talent/lombardi-doubles-down-on-usa-roster-selection-1.571834

Umm i don't see this team as being a grit team at all! it has some grit but some finesse players as well.

Dont misread what people are saying: the USA team had some terrific players. In fact, Id probably argue they would be a stanley cup contender (if not favourite) if they were playing in the NHl (they wouldnt fit under the cap mind you)

The reality is that even if Team USA picked the absolute best roster they could, they probably couldnt have beaten Canada or Sweden or maybe even Russia. They just arent that good right now (especially with their young guys on team NA). The problem is that they, arguably, didnt do that. They didnt ice the best team possible. If they did, guys like Kessel, Faulk, Ryan, Statstny would have been there (instead of Dubinsky, Callahan, Abdelkader etc) and therefore people are left speculating that they went for grit over skill.

Either way I dont think they would have been a top 3 finisher but i would have expected them to at least qualify.

That battle cost us quite a few members as i recollect.

The battle between the pipes! :P

In world cup news, I'm happy to see a team like Europe do well. I'll be cheering for Canada as my duty dictates, but they're so favoured in the final that I can't help but hope for the European underdogs a little bit too