The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 The Positive Thread

BigTed3

16 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

You gotta love it, but does it show a deficiency in our forwards?

Not necessarily, our scoring is very spread out among the whole team, and IMO, the opposing teams has a hard time keying on 1 or 2 lines, not knowing which line to focus on. 13 Habs have at least 1 goal, whereas the laffs have (even tho they're a high scoring team), have pretty much just Mathews, JVR, and Nylander doing their scoring. Shut down the Mathews line and voila. 

Remember a few  years ago, when we played the Caps, and Pitts in the POs? We keyed on their top lines and won.  :)

15 hours ago, kinot-1 said:

Not necessarily, our scoring is very spread out among the whole team, and IMO, the opposing teams has a hard time keying on 1 or 2 lines, not knowing which line to focus on. 13 Habs have at least 1 goal, whereas the laffs have (even tho they're a high scoring team), have pretty much just Mathews, JVR, and Nylander doing their scoring. Shut down the Mathews line and voila. 

Remember a few  years ago, when we played the Caps, and Pitts in the POs? We keyed on their top lines and won.  :)

I hope you're right. Although admittedly I'm in Toronto, I am NOT a laffs fan nor will I ever be, nor do I follow the team, but sometimes some headlines or articles grab you unawares. Here's a quote from an article from the Toronto Scum *ahem* I mean Sun revealing Babcock's strategy for his team: Face-off wins & puck possession.

'Face the facts
Mike Babcock wants to win and wants his team to rule in possession. The Leafs are starting with the puck more often than not, as they were fifth in the NHL in faceoff-winning percentage before games on Friday (the Canadiens were 27th). Tyler Bozak has been great, winning 60% of his faceoffs, while Matthews has been holding his own at 52.5%. Torrey Mitchell leads Montreal at 59.5%'

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/10/28/game-day-maple-leafs-at-canadiens

18 hours ago, kinot-1 said:

Mitch Marner has been pretty good for TO as well, and I wouldn't count out Kadri. Toronto's scorers are young, but there are a fair number of talented players up front there now. Where Toronto hurts is with the depth of their defence and their goaltending. To me, they're much where the Oilers were the past few years, having stockpiled young scoring forwards but lacking in other areas.

when you look at how much hockey we played in the days leading up to the game it was a good game. we were a worn out team playing against a group of talented youngsters with the bit between their teeth. they have more forward offensive potential than us and they are just as fast once they get some better defencemen they are going to be a force in this league.

Toronto will have one of the top offences in the league and yet I think most of their chances were from bad angles. Carey had to make a couple of great saves but Andersen had to make more. The shots might have made us look weak but we had plenty of chances to score ourselves. No apologies for having Carey's help tonight we have already won quite a few without him this year. This team is going to do some damage this year.