The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

1 hour ago, habs_93 said:

You absolutely have to be in on this if you're the GM. Edmonton is throwing talent away left and right.

There have also been rumors Edmonton is high on Emelin. Chiarelli probably saw first-hand how many times Emelin wrecked his Bruins back in the day, which might be why. If I'm MB, I'd go dangling Emelin and dry to draw out Yakupov (as a favor to Edmonton of course) and another asset.

14 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

There have also been rumors Edmonton is high on Emelin. Chiarelli probably saw first-hand how many times Emelin wrecked his Bruins back in the day, which might be why. If I'm MB, I'd go dangling Emelin and dry to draw out Yakupov (as a favor to Edmonton of course) and another asset.

Emelin for Yak- done.

That said, if Emelin is indeed coveted by western teams and Yak cant be "given away" for a 3rd rounder, Id be quite happy to take another prospect off their hands... say Khaira or Bear?  We wouldnt get much else but why not try for a throw in that may well make the roster in 2 or 3 years? :)   

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Emelin for Yak- done.

That said, if Emelin is indeed coveted by western teams and Yak cant be "given away" for a 3rd rounder, Id be quite happy to take another prospect off their hands... say Khaira or Bear?  We wouldnt get much else but why not try for a throw in that may well make the roster in 2 or 3 years? :)   

Right. If Edmonton 1. Is trying to get rid of Yakupov and 2. Is high on Emelin, then we should absolutely be asking for more.

Rumor today from Bob McKenzie is that Chicago has had talks with Edmonton about Yakupov. The Hawks want to know who they have in house first, but if Chicago's interested and willing to take a flyer, why shouldn't we be too? This kid isn't a slouch. He has very good skill, his numbers haven't been awful, he just hasn't lived up to expectations and he's playing in the black hole that is Edmonton. He's a guy who has high potential to be a 20-goal scorer if given a fresh start. Absolutely fantastic opportunity to get a recent former #1 overall pick on the cheap. 

If you believe Eklund (I dont) we are trying hard to land Kucherov from TB.  Apparently the bolts are in hot water with regards to the cap and cant afford to sign him (he's RFA).  According to Feklund we want to reuinite Kucherov and Radulov.  

Seems far fetched to me. I mean sure who wouldnt want a player like Kucherov but a) how can we afford him and b ) who would we have to give up to get him from the bolts.

Dont see a fit there unless they really want DD and Emelin but then that would be worse on their cap than just resigning him. 

McKenzie says Kucherov is not happening. Guess who's more likely to be right?

And from Eric Engels, saying he's heard a couple of Western conference teams have inquired about Condon. One team rumored to be the Sharks. We may as well look for a trade rather than losing him on waivers in a day or two... not sure what the market really is for him though. Probably a late draft pick only or an AHL-caliber goalie or something like that.

I'm confused. The hockey media never stops telling us that Yakupov is everything that's wrong with a hockey player, which certainly means he has no character. Why would the Chicago Blackhawks—the team with the most perfect character possible who must be emulated in every possible way if you want to win anything—be interested in him? That can't be right.

I'm confused. The hockey media never stops telling us that Yakupov is everything that's wrong with a hockey player, which certainly means he has no character. Why would the Chicago Blackhawks—the team with the most perfect character possible who must be emulated in every possible way if you want to win anything—be interested in him? That can't be right.

The narrative is that players like Yakupov are bad. But if they go to a great organization and win (see Kessel, Phil) then the narrative changes. We should be judging Yakupov on skill and potential. He could be great for us. He comes at a reasonable cap hit and it sounds like we could get him for very little. Does anyone really think a 4th or 5th round pick with a 5% chance of ever becoming a regular in the NHL is more valuable than giving Yakupov a try?

Just now, BigTed3 said:

Does anyone really think a 4th or 5th round pick with a 5% chance of ever becoming a regular in the NHL is more valuable than giving Yakupov a try?

You mean, a fifth round pick like... heart and soul character leader Brendan Gallagher? I thought so. Checkmate?

:ph34r:

2 hours ago, habs_93 said:

Maybe the Hawks think they can make it work . But when it doesn't then end up having to dump salary. I don't think we have the organization with the patience to try and make it work . At the first sign of things not working the guy will be sitting at the end of the bench and then in the press box

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

Ican't understand why a team like the Leafs passed on Barberio! he would have been the #1 d man on that team last night!

Haha.

I was definitely surprised he wasnt claimed.  He's definitely a top 6 capable dman on a cheap contract. There are plenty of teams who could have used him in their #6 or maybe even #5 slot (and i think he may well have potential for top 4, sample size is too small).

Either way, im happy he's still ours. 

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

Ican't understand why a team like the Leafs passed on Barberio! he would have been the #1 d man on that team last night!

Dreger reporting a lot of people were surprised Barberio passed through waivers and that many in the hockey world believe he's a #4-6 D man on the majority of teams. Thought is that teams might have been scared taking a risk on a player on a one-way NHL contract.

I don't see Yakupov being able to crack out line-up so I really see no point in going after him. If he is going to sort things out it will be this year with the Oilers. I agree I thought Barberio would likely get claimed, and think the odds are even higher for Redmond should  we decide to send him down.

1 hour ago, Habberwacky said:

I don't see Yakupov being able to crack out line-up so I really see no point in going after him. If he is going to sort things out it will be this year with the Oilers. I agree I thought Barberio would likely get claimed, and think the odds are even higher for Redmond should  we decide to send him down.

I'd have him in line-up ahead of Flynn, Byron, Desharnais, and McCarron (and yes I like Big Mac but you have the luxury of sending him down if need be), maybe even Carr. Sure, a guy like Carr or Mac might be a safer development project, but Yak could legitimately be a top 6 player for another 8-10 years and you can get him on the cheap. Dreger and McKenzie both reporting that Yakupov is thought of as a hard worker and attitude isn't a problem, just doesn't jive with coaches in Edmonton and needs a fresh start. Yak knows Galchenyuk already, plus we have heavy contingent of Russian-speaking players already. He might feel more comfortable here, who knows... McKenzie also reporting Yak has officially requested trade. We know Edmonton's hands are tied and that they couldn't get the 3rd rounder they originally hoped for. This guy is there to be had for nothing. Great opportunity, low risk, high reward.

Yak would allow us to put a five man Russian unit out there but he is far less involved in the game than any Hab. He has appeared lost since Nelson has left. Kruyger (a very good coach) may have got him on the right track if he had more time but for whatever reason they let him (management changed) go and he has appeared lost since. Its tough to produce offensively when Connor and Puuljajarvi are there now and Luccic, Maroon, Eberle, Pouliot and some other good prospects are ahead of you on the top line. Yak's offensive out put would be similar to what we got from Eller or Weise and putting him in our line-up to play with Galchenyuk would split up a line that has a potential to be one of the top in the league. I cannot see him coming close to the scoring potential of Gallagher or Pacioretty. I think the lesson here is to have a great appreciation for our scouts who decided to pick a prospect who had been out for a year with a knee injury instead of Yakupov. The Oilers totally missed in the draft and I don;t think we need to compensate them for that now.

42 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

Yak would allow us to put a five man Russian unit out there but he is far less involved in the game than any Hab. He has appeared lost since Nelson has left. Kruyger (a very good coach) may have got him on the right track if he had more time but for whatever reason they let him (management changed) go and he has appeared lost since. Its tough to produce offensively when Connor and Puuljajarvi are there now and Luccic, Maroon, Eberle, Pouliot and some other good prospects are ahead of you on the top line. Yak's offensive out put would be similar to what we got from Eller or Weise and putting him in our line-up to play with Galchenyuk would split up a line that has a potential to be one of the top in the league. I cannot see him coming close to the scoring potential of Gallagher or Pacioretty. I think the lesson here is to have a great appreciation for our scouts who decided to pick a prospect who had been out for a year with a knee injury instead of Yakupov. The Oilers totally missed in the draft and I don;t think we need to compensate them for that now.

I don't think it's fair to say he's not an involved player. By all accounts, he was not a guy who was slacking off. He put in the effort, he put in the practice time, but as you said, he was frequently caught up in the depth of young skill forwards the Oilers had. For now, yes, he is in the range of Eller production, but an average of 15-16 goals over a season is still nothing to sneeze at for a guy who's been getting a lot of 3rd line ice time. If he's in the top 6, that could easily be 20-25 goals a year, and he's young enough that he has room to grow, especially with a change of scenery. Worst case scenario, you've picked up a 15-goal 3rd liner for a 3rd round pick...

As far as lines go, you're 100% correct that he's not going to give you the same offensive output as Pacioretty or Gallagher or Radulov. But he adds to your top 9 and gives you more flexibility and scoring depth and protection against the injuries that will almost invariably happen. It's easy to say Yakupov is behind Pacioretty now, but we're not going to make it through a season without players getting hurt, so having a guy who can move into the top 6 at 2.5M a season is a pretty nice luxury to have. Even if we forget the first line, imagine Yakupov-Desharnais-Shaw as your third. Not bad. Or maybe we do try to go three offensive trios and have something like

Yakupov-Galchenyuk-Radulov

Lehkonen-Plekanec-Gallagher

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Shaw

Carr-Mitchell-McCarron

That gives you three lines that could be top 6 trios and a 4th line that could easily be a 3rd line. That's a really tough line-up for opposition to match up to. Obviously there are other ways to mix and match things, but just an example of the options this would have given us.

And St. Louis gets him for almost nothing.

For a low-level prospect and a 3rd round pick, which becomes a 2nd if Yak scores 15 goals or more... a higher pick than rumored to have been available, but still a steal for St. Louis IMO. If he doesn't pan out, they lose a 3rd rounder and that's it.

25 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Yeah not big on Yakupov i think he will end up being a bust. looks to me like Chucky was the better pick!

Not a big fan either. Maybe a change of teams will revive his career and i suppose its one of those low risk gambles a la Vanek like we did a few years back.

Chucky most definitely was a steal for us. I think he could have been a bigger contributor earlier, but what can you do. They put their trust in MT and he's one of those coaches that make you stand on your head before you get a break.