The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

13 hours ago, Serial_Thrilla_27 said:

I've given much thought to acquiring Yakupov as well...at this point you could probably trade Brian Flynn for him straight up...And I would have absolutely no problem waving bye-bye to Flynn.  I never was a big fan.  There has been talk of bringing in Matt Duchene.  But Duchene I see more as being an off-season move.

There are 2 names on COL's roster that did catch my eye:  Patrick Wiercioch and Mikhail Grigorenko.  Hear me out.

Both Grigorenko and Yakupov are former 1st rounders from 2012.  Their respective careers have been anything but storybook thus far.  However we do have the epitome of turning a hockey career around in the form of Alexander Radulov.  He could be a great example for these young former 1st rounders.  You may even be able to salvage their careers for them.  I did noticed last night that the other 2 Russians (Markov, Emelin) have elevated their game since Radulov's arrival.  I saw a lot of strong 2nd efforts from our D.  Maybe Radulov could be the missing pieces to Yakupov and Grigorenko's puzzle of success.  They could play harder for their fellow countryman and as a point of personal pride.  It would also make up for the size and skill your missing with Galchenyuk out.

As for Wierioch, he could be the left side D your looking for to compliment Weber.  Wiercioch is having a rebound year after only registering 5 assists all of last season in Ottawa.  However Wiercioch is still only 25 years old and is 6-5 and 200 plus pounds.  Similar to the Russians, Wiercioch could benefit from mentoring under the wing of 2016's Mark Messier award winner Shea Weber.

The reason why I'm an advocate for these moves are as follows: 

1. They're cap friendly.  Wiercioch (800K), Grigorenko (1.3 mil) and Yakupov (2.5 mil) altogether are still 1.4 mil less of a cap hit than Duchene.

2. They're trade friendly.  In order to realistically trade for Duchene, you're going to have to give up perhaps Pacioretty and picks.    Yakupov will take Flynn as I stated before.  Wiercioch and Grigorenko would most likely take a package a mid range prospect and 1 or 2 of our 2nd rounders.  Maybe like Matteau or Josiah Didier and both our 2nd rounders in 2017.  

3.  They're low risk.  If these guys don't pan out you walk.  If they do pan out, you can protect them, sign them to bridge deals and expose one of your bigger cap hits (Plekanec) to Vegas.  Currently you have both Desharnais and Galchenyuk  out for 6-8 weeks with lower body injuries.  Bringing in these young men via trade could help fill gaps on our roster.  Moving forward you could go with lines like:

Yakupov, Grigorenko, Radulov

Pacioretty, Plekanec, Gallagher

Byron, Danault, Shaw

Lehkonen, Mitchell, Andrigetto

Wiercioch, Weber

Markov, Petry

Emelin, Beaulieu

Price

Montoya

Taxi Squad: Carr, Redmond, Pateryn

Totally agree , especially on Grigorenko.

8 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Habs-step-up-center-search-Duchene-on-radar-Doan--Thus-Buzzcast/1/81209

and the inimitable eklund now has us in on duchene.  would take a lot, so he says, which is probably true , but im ok with it if the biggest subtraction is a vet

He's in on it because this forum is obviously one of his sources. We speculate and he publishes it.:lol:

The Habs currently have 3 top 6 forwards active on the roster (Pacioretty, Radulov, and Gallagher). We have Price. And we can't spare trading Weber or Petry. MB has to find a way to add a top 6 center without subtracting any of those 6 players. I would hate to see Sergachev or McCarron go in that order, but frankly everyone is fair game at this point, outside of the 6 players we can't afford to trade. The only way to deal Pacioretty for example, would be if you're bringing back 2 top 6 forwards to replace him... otherwise it doesn't make a lot of sense right now. A guy I would still really love to see MB go after is Sean Couturier. He's been given a two-way role with Philly but he's been solid as an NHLer and he has the pedigree to score goals. I wonder if you stick him between Pacioretty and Radulov whether he wouldn't light it up... he wouldn't cost as much as a Duchene, McKinnon, RNH, Tavares, or some of the other guys in trade rumors recently. And if it works and Galchenyuk gets healthy, then something like this doesn't look so bad:

Pacioretty-Couturier-Radulov

Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

Danault-Plekanec-McCarron

Byron-Mitchell-Shaw

4 minutes ago, HabsRuleForever said:

DD for Ovi

Wait! You want to trade a homegrown French-Canadian player with grit and determination and a will to win for a showboating player who likes to score lots of goals all to himself rather than pass the puck off to share the glory with his teammates? Come on, man.

8 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Wait! You want to trade a homegrown French-Canadian player with grit and determination and a will to win for a showboating player who likes to score lots of goals all to himself rather than pass the puck off to share the glory with his teammates? Come on, man.

Yup that's a big E4.

40 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

The Habs currently have 3 top 6 forwards active on the roster (Pacioretty, Radulov, and Gallagher). We have Price. And we can't spare trading Weber or Petry. MB has to find a way to add a top 6 center without subtracting any of those 6 players. I would hate to see Sergachev or McCarron go in that order, but frankly everyone is fair game at this point, outside of the 6 players we can't afford to trade. The only way to deal Pacioretty for example, would be if you're bringing back 2 top 6 forwards to replace him... otherwise it doesn't make a lot of sense right now. A guy I would still really love to see MB go after is Sean Couturier. He's been given a two-way role with Philly but he's been solid as an NHLer and he has the pedigree to score goals. I wonder if you stick him between Pacioretty and Radulov whether he wouldn't light it up... he wouldn't cost as much as a Duchene, McKinnon, RNH, Tavares, or some of the other guys in trade rumors recently. And if it works and Galchenyuk gets healthy, then something like this doesn't look so bad:

Byron-Mitchell-Shaw

Good scenario re Couturier. Hopefully MB will read your post. ^_^

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Byron-Mitchell-Shaw

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/team/philadelphia-flyers/injuries

According to tsn.ca, Couturier is on the IR with a sprained MCL so, no good to us.  The problems we run into with the trade route are:

1.  In order to get a big name, we'd have to give up top prospects, picks and or a good young roster player.  Or give up a big offensive piece of our own of equal salary.  No one's gonna offer us Duchene for DD, Pateryn and a 6th rounder.

2.  All the guys we're rumoured to be in on don't have that greater numbers than DD or Pleks (Except Duchene).

AND

3. Any deal that works for us salary wise is going to be a young guy who isn't working out on his current team.  

However, if that deal is for Mikhail Grigorenko, I am all for it.  Grigorenko has only 1 less point than Hanzal on the season, at almost a 3rd of the cap hit; AND he's 7 years younger to boot.  I pitched a scenario involving Yakupov before, but lets scrap Yakupov altogether.  Let's just stick to a deal for Grigorenko and Wiercioch that I had pitched in my previous post.  What does that take to get done?  Maybe a 1st?  Maybe 2 2nd rounders?  Maybe:

To COL: Stefan Matteau, Zach Fucale, Zach Redmond, 2nd rounder, 2017; 2nd rounder, 2018

To MTL: Mikhail Grigorenko, Patrick Wiercoch

Lines I would actually like to see:

Pacioretty, Grigorenko, Radulov

Lehkonen, Plekanec, Gallagher

Carr, Danault, Shaw 

Byron, Mitchell, Flynn

If you go the call up route, now would be the time to bring up McCarron and Scherbak.  Both young, with size.  Maybe go:

Pacioretty, Plekanec, Radulov

Scherbak, McCarron, Gallagher

Lehkonen, Danault, Shaw

Byron, Mitchell, Andrigetto

On 12/9/2016 at 1:02 PM, Regis22 said:

So having said all of that, this further handcuffs MTL's ability to land a big name like Duchene.  I don't feel Hanzal is the answer where we already have 6'6 centre down in St. John's by the name of Mike McCarron (Who was just called up).  I'd rather use him in a centre role as I do see him as our 2nd centre behind Galchenyuk down the road.

On 08/12/2016 at 2:56 PM, jeff33 said:

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1177953?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

their suggestions are 

peter holland

ryan spooner

the nuge

holland made me laugh, since thats my actual prediction if we do anything at all

Damn. Holland goes to Arizona in an absolute blockbuster for a conditional 6th round pick. Back to the drawing board...

8 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

Isn't Peter Holland a former Hab who was traded by MB?  So why take back what you've discarded?  It doesn't make sense to have him back.  

I actually wouldn't mind Peter Holland for a late pick as depth since he's a perfectly fine bottom six center, but me and jeff33 were just joking that a bland bottom six center would be Bergevin's big trade deadline deal.

Eklund has us listed as the "strongest buyers in the east" in a ranking of all 16 teams.  Its actually kind of funny because while i think we *might* still try and land a top 6 player I actually think thats about it.   Bergevin's already got lots of bottom six and bottom 3 dmen depth.   Acquiring top 6 forwards or top 3 defensemen usually means breaking up key parts of the team so unless he can snag an impending UFA (and none are very appealing) for picks or prospects I dont see him toying with the chemistry of the team.

I still think there's a possibility for Emelin + ____ for RNH  since i think Emelin is over his head on the first pairing (despite playing very very well this year) but i dont think MT trust anyone to replace him (even though i think we have better options already).

Time will tell but i actually think we're going to make (at most) one trade or none. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Eklund has us listed as the "strongest buyers in the east" in a ranking of all 16 teams.  Its actually kind of funny because while i think we *might* still try and land a top 6 player I actually think thats about it.   Bergevin's already got lots of bottom six and bottom 3 dmen depth.   Acquiring top 6 forwards or top 3 defensemen usually means breaking up key parts of the team so unless he can snag an impending UFA (and none are very appealing) for picks or prospects I dont see him toying with the chemistry of the team.

I still think there's a possibility for Emelin + ____ for RNH  since i think Emelin is over his head on the first pairing (despite playing very very well this year) but i dont think MT trust anyone to replace him (even though i think we have better options already).

Time will tell but i actually think we're going to make (at most) one trade or none. 

Zac Rinaldo will be a UFA and he's only 26 years of age. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Emelin's value has never been higher IMO. He's playing great hockey this year, whether that's because of Weber or just him finally finding a groove of what. But it makes sense for us to trade him. At some point we're going to have to test Beaulieu in the top 4 again and we have Barberio/Redmond/Pateryn to play the bottom pairing. Has Emelin been valuable to our team? Absolutely. I would actually keep him if we could get a top 6 forward or true top pairing defenceman without having to give up anything off our roster. But barring that, he's one guy on the roster who has value and who could be moved but still leave us with the parts needed to fill in the hole. And as I said, if there's thought on making that move, now is as good a time as any because he's playing great and it'll maximize the return.