The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

This wouldn't be long term, but with the # of forwards out what would anyone think of offering Colorado a 2nd round pick for Inglia? I think he's a FA at the end of the season so we wouldn't have to resign him. A 2nd may be high for a rental and it's no where near the deadline. The catch is we need help now and the AV's aren't going anywhere. I was going to suggest a 3rd but didn't think that would be enough.

Just reading a thought about what it might take to get Duchene, and the writer suggested that Pleks + one of either Sergy or Juulsen + plus our 1st in 2017, might do it. The caps hits are a wash. 

Friedman: " The Avs are willing to listen to calls regarding Matt Duchene if it involves legit young defensemen or defensive prospects."

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

Just reading a thought about what it might take to get Duchene, and the writer suggested that Pleks + one of either Sergy or Juulsen + plus our 1st in 2017, might do it. The caps hits are a wash. 

Friedman: " The Avs are willing to listen to calls regarding Matt Duchene if it involves legit young defensemen or defensive prospects."

It would be tough to lose Juulsen or Sergachev but to nab a guy like Duschene its going to cost at least 1 quality player/prospect.   

Whatever I did, Id take Timmins' advice (if he said absolutely positively dont move one guy over the other etc, id listen) so we dont have another McDonaugh V2.0  - although to be fair, Duchene is no Gomez.  Even if the dman we trade away does turn into a top pairing guy, we'd be getting back an elite player in return. 

18 minutes ago, maas_art said:

It would be tough to lose Juulsen or Sergachev but to nab a guy like Duschene its going to cost at least 1 quality player/prospect.   

Whatever I did, Id take Timmins' advice (if he said absolutely positively dont move one guy over the other etc, id listen) so we dont have another McDonaugh V2.0  - although to be fair, Duchene is no Gomez.  Even if the dman we trade away does turn into a top pairing guy, we'd be getting back an elite player in return. 

Problem is that there's more than a few teams interested, and the Avs might just wait until the trade deadline to see who can offer the most. 

17 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

A full point stronger? 

Apparently, which is actually pretty interesting. 

I used this tool to try and throw some other trades together and all of the outcomes were surprisingly realistic. Obviously, there are some other not so tangible factors that this tool probably doesn't account for (trade deadline, trade blocks, team desperateness, rebuilds, etc. 

Fun to play with, though.  

According to one well placed source at least, the Habs have been discussing a "Big buy that would rival the newsworthiness of the PK Subban trade. A deal that would be aimed at separating them from the rest of the pack in the East."

Source - latest article from Eklund on HockeyBuzz, take it for what it's worth.

5 hours ago, loyalhabsfan said:

According to one well placed source at least, the Habs have been discussing a "Big buy that would rival the newsworthiness of the PK Subban trade. A deal that would be aimed at separating them from the rest of the pack in the East."

Wow. The only thing that could rival that trade in my mind would involve Price.

13 hours ago, loyalhabsfan said:

7 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Wow. The only thing that could rival that trade in my mind would involve Price.

Agreed, Thats a weird statement by Eklund.  Even moving Patches etc would be several notches below the Subban deal.  Unless we're moving Price, or maybe shipping Weber out (neither will happen) then im not sure how it could even come close.

I suppose if we did make some big move as has been speculated (Tavares for Patches + ______ or something) thats a 'big splash' but it still doesnt come close to moving Subban for Weber, which is not only our biggest move in decades, its probably one of the biggest trades in the whole league in some time. 

2 hours ago, loyalhabsfan said:

I'm still praying for Matt Duchene.

Im hopeful that one of Duchene, RNH or Tavares will be a hab before the deadine.   I think RNH interests me the most because i think he can be had for the least, meaning we have to give up far less to get him and I think his ceiling is still as high as the other two - maybe higher, he is 3 years younger - but injuries are a concern.   

From Sportsnet , yesterday.

" The rumour du jour is that centre Tomas Plekanec could be on the block. We expected Montreal to be in on Hanzal, and a colleague smarter than me suggests they try to buy low on Nugent-Hopkins with an eye to the future. Worth noting that the Habs hold an extra second-rounder in 2017 and two extra seconds in 2018. Seconds are the most popular form of currency in today's rental market."

We don't need Hanzal because we frankly don't need any more 3rd-line centers. We do need skill for our top 6, so Duchene, RNH, or Tavares makes sense. But to make a big splash that separates us from the rest of the East almost implies that we're adding someone of that ilk without subtracting any of our own key elements. IMO the only two untouchables on the team right now are Price and Galchenyuk, so a big splash rivaling the Subban trade would only happen if one of those two were leaving. 

48 minutes ago, loyalhabsfan said:

Thoughts? (hockeybuzz)

habs.JPG

Ugg.  Id love Ekman Larsson and Duclair looks close to a sure thing but we'd be giving up a lot.  I understand EL wouldnt come cheaply though - he's the only guy in the bunch who is a 'proven' entity but really all of the others are pretty near sure things.

we'd be giving up:
- Potential 2nd line centre, almost certainly a 3rd line centre at worst. (McCarron)
- Potential top pairing Dman, almost certainly a top 4 at worst.  (Sergachev)
- Pretty much a guaranteed top 4 dman (Beau)

we'd be getting:
- a top pairing dman. (Larsson) He's 25 years old & basically Markov V2.0
- a potential 1st line winger (natural LW, plays RW too) almost certainly a 2nd line winger at worst. 

For me the real stumbling block is Sergachev.  I mean i know he hasnt proven anything yet & there's a real chance he's never as good as EL but man i would hate to lose him now.  EL will be looking for big money next contract & Sergachev will be giving us several good value years on an ELC.

If there's some way we can do 

EL / Duclair 
for
McCarron/Beau/_______  and that____ is say, Emelin, Markov or another vet, id do it in a heartbeat even though I really dont want to lose McCarron or Beau.

the biggest concern id have out of this deal, no matter what we do is who is our #2 centre? It sure seems like Plekanec is done.  DD is hopefully playing his last year.  Danault is a great #3 but im still not sure about him as a #2 long term.   McCarron is a guy who we could look to in a year or two. How will we fill that if he is dealt?

56 minutes ago, loyalhabsfan said:

Thoughts? (hockeybuzz)

habs.JPG

Duclair: Left Wing -- shoots L
Born Aug 26 1995 -- Pointe-Claire, PQ 
[21 yrs. ago] 
Height 5.11 -- Weight 185 [180 cm/84 kg] Why so much of a drop-off in DuClair? He was 20G, 24A, last year and this year he's on pace for 28 Pts. He was a pretty good point producer in Jr. 

Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Defense -- shoots L
Born Jul 17 1991 -- Karlskrona, Sweden 
[25 yrs. ago] 

On pace for around 50 PTs. 

IDK about this trade.

Does anyone honestly think a deal will help this team? We have some pretty decent players out there that look like they don't want to be out there. Ultimately, you can only make so many deals, shuffle lines and parade guys back and forth from the AHL before enough is enough. This team is 3-7 against Pittsburgh, NYR, San Jose, Chicago, Columbus and Minnesota. So according to Price we will dial it up come playoff time because Cups aren't won in January. Sorry, but I disagree. If it's not one thing or another. Last year we were missing Price, this year, we had a few guys out and most are back. Now I hear it's because we are missing Markov, YA RIGHT. Last night he looked terrible on all 4 goals.

20 minutes ago, habby67 said:

Does anyone honestly think a deal will help this team? We have some pretty decent players out there that look like they don't want to be out there. Ultimately, you can only make so many deals, shuffle lines and parade guys back and forth from the AHL before enough is enough. This team is 3-7 against Pittsburgh, NYR, San Jose, Chicago, Columbus and Minnesota. So according to Price we will dial it up come playoff time because Cups aren't won in January. Sorry, but I disagree. If it's not one thing or another. Last year we were missing Price, this year, we had a few guys out and most are back. Now I hear it's because we are missing Markov, YA RIGHT. Last night he looked terrible on all 4 goals.

Ya,,, he did,,,, shoulda been benched :4322: