The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

4 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

gohabsgo.com/2017/02/03/a-pretty-surprising-rumour-involving-alex-galcheny/

The three experts made some extremely interesting remarks last night concerning the Montreal Canadiens, notably with Dreger who said that Marc Bergevin was going all in on the season and was very interested in Martin Hanzal who plays center for the Arizona Coyotes....

The veteran Coyotes forward would bring depth to the center position for the Habs and Chucky would play the role of second winger behind Max Pacioretty which would have a much more balanced top six.... a line made up of Chucky, Hanzal and Gallagher would be rather interesting.

I wouldn't mind somehow including Shaw to facilitate a trade with Colorado for either Duchene or Landeskog rather than Hanzal from the Yotes

Pacioretty - Danault - Radulov

Galchenyuk - Duchene or Landeskog - Gallagher

Lehkonen - Plekanec - Byron

Even with Hanzal the team may be better than it is currently... but there is still a problem with Desharnais on the roster.

DD on the roster is a constant nagging problem for this team IMO. Everybody with actual skill has to be shuffled around to accommodate him and it has a domino effect all the way down. Come the playoffs the situation will be even worse if DD remains with us.

8 hours ago, habs_93 said:

I'm really not interested in Hanzal. I think even Desharnais would be more productive in the lineup. And if the prices reported about what Arizona wants for him are even slightly accurate, it's pretty ridiculous.

Same here, I really don't see the appeal of adding Hanzal, especially considering the Yote's asking price. Adding him for cheap as a depth player or swapping him for Desharnais straight up, sure, why not. But that's clearly not going to happen.

Shockingly, Bob McKenzie said on Montreal 690 that he thinks Hanzal would be a better fit for the Habs than Duchene (grind of the playoffs, size, etc.), which is rather suprising to say the least. Here's the link if anyone is interested: click

Placed on Waivers....
Alexey Marchenko
#53 • D

Height: 6'3
    Weight: 210 lbs.
    Shoots: R
    Experience: 3 years

Birthdate: Jan 2, 1992
    Birthplace: Moscow, RUS
    Drafted: Drafted by Detroit in 2011 (7/205).

Could he be a potential add for the Habs? Apparently a very good puck moving defenseman and penalty killer.

I know the habs just acquired Nesterov... and it seems that MB has a little penchant for Russian players (adding Radulov and Nesterov, already having Markov, Emelin and Galchenyuk). He could , for example, replace Pateryn perhaps and allow Markov to move up and Nesterov to play his natural left side if Beaulieu was to be traded to acquire another center like Duchene etc.

According to 4th period, hold up with Habs on trades is that they have made it known they're not interested in dealing Sergachev but they have had discussions about dealing Juulsen and apparently, Phoenix and Colorado both have interest in McCarron. McKenzie has stated the ask for Duchene is a 20-24 year-old NHL player, a 1st rounder, and a top-tier prospect OR if the 20-24 year-old isn't established in NHL, then another prospect as well. The media has stated as well, though, that teams have scoffed at how much Colorado is asking for, so presumably the ask will need to come down a bit from their side as well. So let's say that Sergachev is off the table and Colorado accepts Juulsen as the top-tier prospect, then we're looking at Juulsen, a 1st rounder, and someone like McCarron or Lehkonen or Beaulieu. Would I like to part with Juulsen and/or Mac? No. But I would make that deal in a heartbeat for Duchene. If we're able to add Duchene without subtracting a key component from our NHL roster, then we could look at something like

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Radulov

Lehkonen-Duchene-Gallagher

Danault-Plekanec-Shaw (with plan to move Danault into the 3C spot at season's end)

Byron-Mitchell-Carr

It fills a big hole to be able to do something like that.

Ted ... I love the idea of Duchene but I think trading any of McCarron/Lehkonen/Beaulieu is ill-advised. I could see including Juulsen and a first rounder and some salary ie DD but nothing more. I am partly thinking about the expansion draft in this as well because McCarron and Lehkonen are freebies whereas Duchene would need to be protected. I also think the team needs more than a centre based on its play in order to be a contender ......

1 hour ago, eldag said:

Ted ... I love the idea of Duchene but I think trading any of McCarron/Lehkonen/Beaulieu is ill-advised. I could see including Juulsen and a first rounder and some salary ie DD but nothing more. I am partly thinking about the expansion draft in this as well because McCarron and Lehkonen are freebies whereas Duchene would need to be protected. I also think the team needs more than a centre based on its play in order to be a contender ......

There is always going to be hesitancy about giving up assets, I get that. But here's the thing: Duchene is a legit top 6 center who is good for 25-30 goals a season on a bad team, and he's only 26 years old, which means he should still have several good years to give us if we acquire him. Look around the Habs organization and there aren't any other guys who are going to do that. Currently, we're missing a top 6 forward and we're missing a top 4 LH defenceman. Without at least one of those, our chances for a Cup are limited. Now I get the idea that you don't want to give up the future, but the fact is that if you don't make a push to win a Cup in the next two years, there's no guarantee the future is any easier. In fact, it's probably even harder and here's why:

- Carey Price becomes a UFA and Max Pacioretty becomes a UFA. Carey will undoubtedly become the highest-paid player on the team and Max is going to be due a huge raise on his current 4.5M. So either the Habs will have to forego signing one of them or else they're going to have to pay both and lose cap space to be able to sign other players.

- Galchenyuk is also going to get paid, because like with Subban and Eller, the Habs made the giant mistake of bridging guys with actual talent while signing long-term deals to scrubs.

- When the team made the huge mistake of trading Subban for Weber, the clock started ticking a little faster on how long we had to win a Cup. Our D line-up includes Weber, Markov, Emelin, and Petry, and I can't believe any of those players are going to be better in 3 years than they are today. Sure, we can count the likes of Beaulieu, Juulsen, and Sergachev as being potential assets down the line, but there's no guarantee they'll be able to backstop a contender, and if the team they're playing for isn't able to afford more established stars, it'll be tough sledding for a few years while they develop.

- Teams like Toronto and Buffalo and Ottawa and Florida are only getting better. Those teams have a lot of young stars right now and we're already seeing some of them turning corners. In two years, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Ekblad, Huberdeau, Barkov, Eichel, and so on are going to be even harder to play against. Our division right now is awful. It's extremely weak, to the point that the Leafs and Sens are currently the biggest competition. There is an excellent opportunity to win the division and emerge from it as the rep in the ECF, at which point we might draw the likes of Pit, Was, or Clb, but getting a team that could have been beat up by two long, tough series. Theoretically, a strong Habs team could have an easy go of it in the first two rounds and head into the Final Four more rested and healthier than any other team left standing.

So you look at that and yes, it would hurt to lose a Juulsen or a McCarron or a Hudon or so on, but none of those guys are going to be play a big role in the next 2 years. Duchene will. And with our current situation and that of our division, we should be all in on trying to win this year and next. So if you're MB, you go and get a Duchene or a Landeskog or an RNH or a Couturier or whoever else you think can help the top 6. You try to find another good D man. But this is not the time for MB to be MB and play it safe. He needs to be proactive, he needs to take a risk, and he needs to find someone to put us on par with the other Cup contenders. Getting a Hanzal or another 3rd-pairing D man isn't going to accomplish that. If you can make a big add without subtracting a major piece of our current NHL roster, then you do it. And that probably means giving up a 1st round pick or a McCarron or a Juulsen or all three.

Excellent points Ted ..... I think part of me distrusts Bergevin so much that I doubt his ability to execute the right trade after the stunning stupidity of the Subban caper. If we traded McCarron/Juulsen/1st rounder and the trade falls flat or at least fails to bring us to contention, then we have set back our future further with the same Cap issues you have mentioned in your post. I am getting twitchy on this particular role of the dice ..... :4845:

49 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

There is always going to be hesitancy about giving up assets, I get that. But here's the thing: Duchene is a legit top 6 center who is good for 25-30 goals a season on a bad team, and he's only 26 years old, which means he should still have several good years to give us if we acquire him. Look around the Habs organization and there aren't any other guys who are going to do that. Currently, we're missing a top 6 forward and we're missing a top 4 LH defenceman. Without at least one of those, our chances for a Cup are limited. Now I get the idea that you don't want to give up the future, but the fact is that if you don't make a push to win a Cup in the next two years, there's no guarantee the future is any easier. In fact, it's probably even harder and here's why:

- Carey Price becomes a UFA and Max Pacioretty becomes a UFA. Carey will undoubtedly become the highest-paid player on the team and Max is going to be due a huge raise on his current 4.5M. So either the Habs will have to forego signing one of them or else they're going to have to pay both and lose cap space to be able to sign other players.

- Galchenyuk is also going to get paid, because like with Subban and Eller, the Habs made the giant mistake of bridging guys with actual talent while signing long-term deals to scrubs.

- When the team made the huge mistake of trading Subban for Weber, the clock started ticking a little faster on how long we had to win a Cup. Our D line-up includes Weber, Markov, Emelin, and Petry, and I can't believe any of those players are going to be better in 3 years than they are today. Sure, we can count the likes of Beaulieu, Juulsen, and Sergachev as being potential assets down the line, but there's no guarantee they'll be able to backstop a contender, and if the team they're playing for isn't able to afford more established stars, it'll be tough sledding for a few years while they develop.

- Teams like Toronto and Buffalo and Ottawa and Florida are only getting better. Those teams have a lot of young stars right now and we're already seeing some of them turning corners. In two years, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Ekblad, Huberdeau, Barkov, Eichel, and so on are going to be even harder to play against. Our division right now is awful. It's extremely weak, to the point that the Leafs and Sens are currently the biggest competition. There is an excellent opportunity to win the division and emerge from it as the rep in the ECF, at which point we might draw the likes of Pit, Was, or Clb, but getting a team that could have been beat up by two long, tough series. Theoretically, a strong Habs team could have an easy go of it in the first two rounds and head into the Final Four more rested and healthier than any other team left standing.

So you look at that and yes, it would hurt to lose a Juulsen or a McCarron or a Hudon or so on, but none of those guys are going to be play a big role in the next 2 years. Duchene will. And with our current situation and that of our division, we should be all in on trying to win this year and next. So if you're MB, you go and get a Duchene or a Landeskog or an RNH or a Couturier or whoever else you think can help the top 6. You try to find another good D man. But this is not the time for MB to be MB and play it safe. He needs to be proactive, he needs to take a risk, and he needs to find someone to put us on par with the other Cup contenders. Getting a Hanzal or another 3rd-pairing D man isn't going to accomplish that. If you can make a big add without subtracting a major piece of our current NHL roster, then you do it. And that probably means giving up a 1st round pick or a McCarron or a Juulsen or all three.

great  post

At this point, I don't think changing coaches is going to make a big difference. I don't think we're losing this year because of coaching, and I'm quite happy with the turnaround we've seen in possession metrics and the powerplay compared to last year. I'm also happier (albeit not 100%) with player deployment, meaning we're not playing Markov as our #1 D man and we're not playing DD as our 1C and we're giving skill players more ice time. As opposed to the past 3 seasons, coaching is NOT the biggest problem this year. I suspect Muller being an associate and having a large say in how to run things is playing a role, but regardless, I don't think bringing in a fresh face is going to play a huge difference and could even make things worse if we ask players to learn a new system now. The only coaching changes I can see being helpful at this point in the year would be one of

1. Replacing Therrien with Muller, who is already in house.

or

2. Firing Lacroix and/or Daigneault, two guys who have never shown a good handle of their jobs, and bringing in a new assistant who can help with the PK...

Otherwise, I think we need to look more at solidifying our player personnel, with a 2nd line center and top 4 LH D man.

I agree with every post above, but my take is that unless the power play is fixed, the team will go nowhere. I'd like to jump in on the trade discussion  now. Let me know what you think! What about MB calling up the panthers and offering one of the extra 2nd rounders for Jagr and then throw dd to help reduce the salary issue. Ideally, I'd like to see Plekanec traded to Colorado for Duchene just for salary swap, so I would like to see Plekanec + Carr + Julsen  for Duchene. Then I think the focus should be on big mean players. Brandon Bollig is probably available for a 7th and B.J Crombeen for a 7th.  

Pac - Galc- Rad

Leh - Duc - Galg 

Byr -Dan- Jagr

Bol - Mit - Crom

We are going to have to offer more for MD than Plekanec + Carr + Julsen  

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/04/insider-trading-avalanche-coyotes-will-have-company-on-sellers-list-soon-enough

Sooner or later, Colorado GM Joe Sakic will lower his asking price for centre Matt Duchene (and others) but right now it’s high because there’s heavy interest. Though the Avs are looking for up to five elements in return for Duchene, they’ll probably settle on three — a young defenceman, a high-end prospect and a first-round pick — if Sakic does decide to make a deal. “They can ask for whatever they want because they’re in no hurry,” a league executive said Saturday. “They can wait and they can do it at the draft but they might be able to get more now.” The Senators and the Montreal Canadiens are among the teams that have kicked tires in Duchene

8 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

We are going to have to offer more for MD than Plekanec + Carr + Julsen  

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/04/insider-trading-avalanche-coyotes-will-have-company-on-sellers-list-soon-enough

Sooner or later, Colorado GM Joe Sakic will lower his asking price for centre Matt Duchene (and others) but right now it’s high because there’s heavy interest. Though the Avs are looking for up to five elements in return for Duchene, they’ll probably settle on three — a young defenceman, a high-end prospect and a first-round pick — if Sakic does decide to make a deal. “They can ask for whatever they want because they’re in no hurry,” a league executive said Saturday. “They can wait and they can do it at the draft but they might be able to get more now.” The Senators and the Montreal Canadiens are among the teams that have kicked tires in Duchene

maybe swapping Carr with Beaulieu and a 2nd to sweeten if not, then walk away. 

We had scouts at the Chi-Dal game (and as noted we have been heavily scouting Dallas for several weeks), and both those teams also had scouts at our game yesterday. Chicago seems like less of a good fit for a deadline trade, but Dallas might look at dumping players soon. Wouldn't surprise me at all if MB had interest in Patrick Sharp, seeing as he loves bringing in ex-Hawks players whom he knew from his days in Chicago.

On 2/4/2017 at 10:12 AM, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Placed on Waivers....
Alexey Marchenko
#53 • D

Height: 6'3
    Weight: 210 lbs.
    Shoots: R
    Experience: 3 years

Birthdate: Jan 2, 1992
    Birthplace: Moscow, RUS
    Drafted: Drafted by Detroit in 2011 (7/205).

Could he be a potential add for the Habs? Apparently a very good puck moving defenseman and penalty killer.

I know the habs just acquired Nesterov... and it seems that MB has a little penchant for Russian players (adding Radulov and Nesterov, already having Markov, Emelin and Galchenyuk). He could , for example, replace Pateryn perhaps and allow Markov to move up and Nesterov to play his natural left side if Beaulieu was to be traded to acquire another center like Duchene etc.

Claimed off waivers by the Leafs... oh well

From Dreger:

"At 6'6" and 226 pounds, Hanzal could be an affordable solution to the Canadiens' problem at center. However, he has a long injury history and only two 40-point seasons on his resume. He's also an unrestricted free agent in July.

Dreger noted at least 10 teams are interested in Hanzal, allowing the Coyotes to set a high asking price. He doesn't expect Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin will hurt his club's future by giving up a top prospect such as Michael McCarron.

Bergevin won't overpay for a playoff rental. If the price remains high, the Habs GM will look elsewhere for help down the middle."

For those 3 bolded parts,,, I'll pass.

Hanzal isn't a very productive offensive player. He's not likely to improve given his age. He's basically a two-way center with size. Is he a good solution for the top 6? No. He's pretty much a 3rd line center, and we don't need one of those. What we do need is a top 6 center, like Duchene, Landeskog, Couturier, or RNH. There is zero point in MB giving up assets to acquire something we don't have a need for, so I will be very disappointed if all he does is go out and pay for Hanzal.

Ron Fournier suggests that now that Julien is available, MT will have a very short leash for the team's performance in the playoffs this year. Fournier states that MB will never say it publicly but that within his entourage, he believes the team has to win a Cup this year. He adds that if the Habs were to go out in the first round, Therrien would likely be gone.

All this of course depends on whether Julien is still available come summer time...