The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

The way the Habs are playing I wouldn't make any significant trades . This team doesn't have what it takes to win the Stanley Cup and major move that MT makes would probably weaken them in the future .

Id still get rid  of MT

3 hours ago, Regis22 said:

If I'm every other team in the league, I hope Montreal shoots themselves in the foot by full on mortgaging their future to raise their slim odds of winning the Cup in the next two years.  I wouldn't classify trading for Duchene as full on mortgaging the future though.

40 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Francois Gagnon said on TSN 690, that "if" the Habs go into the POs and lose in the 1st Rd. then Therrien, "he won't be on thin ice,,, he'll be on water". 

So i guess the safe move, to protect his job, would be to NOT make the playoffs.Worked last year.

11 hours ago, Regis22 said:

The way the Habs are playing I wouldn't make any significant trades . This team doesn't have what it takes to win the Stanley Cup and major move that MT makes would probably weaken them in the future .

Id still get rid  of MT

Agree fully. We are not close to being a true contender, sure "anything" can happen in the playoffs but let's be real, we are not anything above an average team. 

13 hours ago, Regis22 said:

Id still get rid  of MT

The thing is though, with this roster, we should be.  We have the most complete team we've had since the early 90s - with maybe even a better defensive core than we had then. And yet, we look horrible almost every night.  If our top line (a bon efide 1st line)  doesnt score, we lose (despite having some very good players on the second and third lines).  

This team needs a shakeup, badly.   A good GM would say that now is the time to get rid of Therrien. But considering we didnt do it last summer when 99.9999% of GMs would have done it, i dont think we will now. 

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

Not sure if this has anything to do with us, but, Hanzal was not at the AZ practice this morning. 

I hope not although i suppose it always depends what the cost is.  If we're shipping DD the other way, fine but i wouldnt want to give up anything of value for him.

I do wonder why DLR was sent down but McCarron and Carr were called up AND Gallagher looks like he's almost ready to return... so we sent one down & have 3 back... make you wonder if we're planning on moving some forwards?

45 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I hope not although i suppose it always depends what the cost is.  If we're shipping DD the other way, fine but i wouldnt want to give up anything of value for him.

I do wonder why DLR was sent down but McCarron and Carr were called up AND Gallagher looks like he's almost ready to return... so we sent one down & have 3 back... make you wonder if we're planning on moving some forwards?

Gallagher is "close" but according to Therrien, would not be playing tomorrow. I suspect they may just keep him out until after our break... no sense in rushing him back for one game and then having 5-6 days off thereafter that he could have used to practice and rehab properly. So really, we're looking at one extra call-up. Could be trade fodder but that only really makes sense if we're shipping out an extra guy than we're getting back. It could also mean that we have at least one forward who is playing hurt and they just want an insurance body given that we're playing on the road so far from home (i.e. last-minute call-up could be tricky to fly in on time). MB stated that he didn't want Mac playing on the 4th line in Mtl, so maybe there's a plan to give him a shot in the top 9. Maybe it's Galchenyuk who needs more rest and they need a top 9 center. Who knows.

I actually spent this past all-star weekend with Burrows and his family in Disneyland...he's a really good, grounded guy.  

He's got good playoff experience, he competes hard, and his contract is up at the end of the year.  

Its pretty likely he'll be on the move somewhere, I wouldn't be too surprised if he lands in Montreal.

Interesting...

30 minutes ago, Windoe said:

I actually spent this past all-star weekend with Burrows and his family in Disneyland...he's a really good, grounded guy.  

He's got good playoff experience, he competes hard, and his contract is up at the end of the year.  

Its pretty likely he'll be on the move somewhere, I wouldn't be too surprised if he lands in Montreal.

Interesting...

Burrows is 35 and at this point in his career, he's probably a 12-15 goal scorer in an average year. That's not really any better than Byron, Lehkonen, Shaw, or so on, and he's doing it for a cap hit of 4.5M. If we acquire Burrows, we probably don't have the space to trade for anyone else. I just don't see how he improves the team, so it's a pass for me. Not the type of player we need.

43 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Burrows is 35 and at this point in his career, he's probably a 12-15 goal scorer in an average year. That's not really any better than Byron, Lehkonen, Shaw, or so on, and he's doing it for a cap hit of 4.5M. If we acquire Burrows, we probably don't have the space to trade for anyone else. I just don't see how he improves the team, so it's a pass for me. Not the type of player we need.

Yep totally agree, not for us at this point.  

Habs have a scout watching Tor/Stl tonight. We've been rumored to have interest in Patrik Berglund. Yakupov is in the pressbox tonight, and I doubt we're in on him in any way, although he could be a cheap add.

I also wonder whether Ron Hainsey could be a potential target. The Canes probably aren't making much of a playoff run, so he could be available, albeit he has a modified NTC. But he's a veteran left-handed D man with good size and decent possession statistics. He might be another player who could be added without giving up much.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Habs have a scout watching Tor/Stl tonight. We've been rumored to have interest in Patrik Berglund. Yakupov is in the pressbox tonight, and I doubt we're in on him in any way, although he could be a cheap add.

I also wonder whether Ron Hainsey could be a potential target. The Canes probably aren't making much of a playoff run, so he could be available, albeit he has a modified NTC. But he's a veteran left-handed D man with good size and decent possession statistics. He might be another player who could be added without giving up much.

I heard that Shattenkirk might be available. T.O won't trade with us, so somebody on the Blues must interest MB.

44 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

I heard that Shattenkirk might be available. T.O won't trade with us, so somebody on the Blues must interest MB.

Habs and Leafs have swung deals before... Grabovski for Pateryn being one. Not with recent regime, but MB just made a minor trade with Tampa, and he's traded within the division with Florida before too. I don't think either team is looking to deal with each other as a first choice, but if both teams feel they're getting better, they might. I do think Habs are more interested in Blues' roster.

Leafs have been shopping JVR who has one year left at $4.25 Cap hit ....  they are looking for defensive help. hmmmmmmm ........ maybe an Emelin for JVR deal is a good match for both teams contractually. We would need to add in a sweetner like maybe a Carr or 'Ghetto and say a 2nd round pick .....?????