The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

On 2/17/2017 at 10:28 AM, BigTed3 said:

- Mike Cammalleri... if we're going to talk about repatriating Vanek, how about MC? Was never my favorite player here, but he's still relatively productive and was clutch in playoffs.

Eklund says a 'source' told him we're interested in Cammalleri.   Hopefully you're getting paid BT :)

^^ Never said I wanted Cammalleri, just that he could be an available option (i.e. playing on team with little chance of success), fills a need of ours (scoring top 6 winger), and might have worn out his welcome with his current team (slumping, benched recently)... the major problem with Cammalleri is that he has I believe a couple of high-priced years left on his contract, so he's a commitment past this season. Would probably only work if NJ is eating half his salary.

^^^ And I saw the Eklund thing too, thought that was a funny coincidence that I brought his name up and then Eklund posted about it. Not so much anyone being anyone's source, but it doesn't take much to look around the league and figure out who might be available. I'm reasonably convinced NJ will want to sell Cammalleri. I can figure that out, Eklund can figure that out, so can most people here. The question is whether someone will bite on his salary. In many ways, his situation is similar to the one we're stuck in with Plekanec (declining forward who could still be useful in playoffs or in limited role but do teams really want to take on salary past this year? Probably not.).

12 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

The question is whether someone will bite on his salary. In many ways, his situation is similar to the one we're stuck in with Plekanec (declining forward who could still be useful in playoffs or in limited role but do teams really want to take on salary past this year? Probably not.).

Id probably bite on Cammalleri + (pick or prospect) for DD.   We are stuck with Cammy's salary for 1 more year but I dont see us having a legitimate 2nd line LW to challenge next year anyway.  The added pick or prospect would be to compensate for overpaying a 40 point guy next year.   Pretty sure Cammy on our 2nd unit PP would be a very very good think come playoff time. 

Eklund is also floating the idea that we're even more gung-ho on Duchene right now because Julien has worked with him (Team canada) and really wants him on the roster. 

8 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Id probably bite on Cammalleri + (pick or prospect) for DD.   We are stuck with Cammy's salary for 1 more year but I dont see us having a legitimate 2nd line LW to challenge next year anyway.  The added pick or prospect would be to compensate for overpaying a 40 point guy next year.   Pretty sure Cammy on our 2nd unit PP would be a very very good think come playoff time. 

Eklund is also floating the idea that we're even more gung-ho on Duchene right now because Julien has worked with him (Team canada) and really wants him on the roster. 

I'd argue Hudon could be a useful top 6 left winger, but we don't know cause we haven't given him a chance. We might also lose him in the expansion draft. At this point, if the thought is finding help for next year, we're actually probably better off waiting until just before the expansion draft. We have very few forwards we need to protect, so we have the ability to take on extra guys and then be able to safeguard them. If another team has 9-10 forwards and is afraid of losing one, they might be more willing to make a deal and send them our way for lower-than-expected returns.

Rumor is that we've been in on Duchene for a while but like everyone else, not willing to pay Sakic's price. Doubt Julien being on Team Canada changes much, it doesn't make the price to get him any lower...

Just read something about Brian Boyle "might" be available. TB, 32 Years, 6'6", 240#, center/LW, 50% or better in FOs for the last 5-6 years, and comes with a cap of 2 mil. ending this June.

This year,,, 52 GP, 13G, 9A, 53.4% FOs.

10 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

TSN is reporting that Pateryn is being shopped. Seems his wife said some uncomplimentary things about Francophones on her Twitter account. 

Reference: 7caae308-06a3-44c3-84d5-af1cd7c3ae51.png

I didn't see the alleged Francophone stuff.

Little patience. If he was still under Therrien, sure. Might want to give Julien a little longer than a week to evaluate Pateryn before doing something silly.

27 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Does anyone know anything about a rumour that there's a criminal investigation involving Carey Price and night club video tape?

Not here,,, and there's nothing on TSN indicating that. and they're pretty much on top of things. 

TSN....

Arizona Coyotes centre Martin Hanzal, a pending unrestricted free agent, could potentially be dealt before the end of the weekend as Coyotes GM John Chayka dials in on the ramped-up offers he has received.

Arizona is down to a handful of teams from the list of 10 potential trade partners it had two weeks ago. It's always hard to pinpoint the timing on these things because teams sometimes extend the window by improving their offers in a desperate attempt to stay in the chase, but I think Chayka feels he can get this done in a matter of days.

The Montreal Canadiens remain in the mix, while the Ottawa Senators have recently inquired, as did the Nashville Predators. But name any contender and it's likely they have checked in on Hanzal. As I've said all season long, the slumping Canadiens make so much sense as a destination for Hanzal, whose six-foot-six frame and shutdown talents are something the Habs need down the middle. But I also believed Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin when he said at coach Claude Julien's news conference last week that he won't overpay for a short fix.

Then again, considering how hapless the Habs looked in a 3-0 loss at home to the New York Islanders on Thursday night, Bergevin is under the gun to make a move to help his team salvage its season.

39 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

TSN....

Arizona Coyotes centre Martin Hanzal, a pending unrestricted free agent, could potentially be dealt before the end of the weekend as Coyotes GM John Chayka dials in on the ramped-up offers he has received.

The "ramped up offers" part bothers me. I don't want to get into a bidding war for Hanzal. Change targets (ie, Boyle) or take those extra assets you would be overpaying with and put them towards a more permanent solution.

5 minutes ago, RicochetII said:

The "ramped up offers" part bothers me. I don't want to get into a bidding war for Hanzal. Change targets (ie, Boyle) or take those extra assets you would be overpaying with and put them towards a more permanent solution.

This.     I dont think Hanzal will help much, although i am less concerned with Julien at the helm now, but its one thing to get him cheap, its quite another to overpay. 

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

This.     I dont think Hanzal will help much, although i am less concerned with Julien at the helm now, but its one thing to get him cheap, its quite another to overpay. 

The irony for me is we had a much better version of Hanzal with Eller but the foxhole decided he was no longer needed and gave him away for practically nothing!!

11 minutes ago, eldag said:

The irony for me is we had a much better version of Hanzal with Eller but the foxhole decided he was no longer needed and gave him away for practically nothing!!

Agreed about Eller.

I dont think you can say we gave him away for nothing though. Two 2nd rounders was pretty fair value for a player like him - maybe even a bit high - but we dumped him for salary which was remarkably stupid. Especially when DD had been ineffective for years and there was some indication plekanec was going that way too...

Btw Eller is now up to 14 points in his last 20 games. 

56 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Agreed about Eller.

I dont think you can say we gave him away for nothing though. Two 2nd rounders was pretty fair value for a player like him - maybe even a bit high - but we dumped him for salary which was remarkably stupid. Especially when DD had been ineffective for years and there was some indication plekanec was going that way too...

Two 2nd's, but not in a great draft year and worse 2nd rounders than the ones we gave up to get Shaw.

Arizona is asking for (supposedly) McCarron and a 1st for Hanzal, which is two 1st's essentially for an impending UFA (whereas Eller is signed to a reasonable deal). Would I trade two 2nd's to get Hanzal now? No. Would I trade them back to Washington to re-acquire Eller? Yes.

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Agreed about Eller.

Two 60th(probably) picks in the second round. We'll be lucky if one turns out to be an NHLer. 

49 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

Eller is gone time to get over that one. Anyting less then Duchene is a sideways and useless move. I can see at best Gionta coming back or maybe Inginla. Unless CJ takes over this team may not even make the playoffs.

Trading for Lanndeskog or RNH or Tavares or Palat or Shattenkirk (if we can sign him like we did Petry) or several others would be more than lateral moves, so long as we're not giving up a current core player.

And I'll say about Eller what I said about Subban: no reason to "get over it"... you need to learn from past mistakes and the Eller trade is still affecting where our team is now and it is still something we will use to judge our current GM, so it remains very much relevant to what is going on.

15 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Trading for Lanndeskog or RNH or Tavares or Palat or Shattenkirk (if we can sign him like we did Petry) or several others would be more than lateral moves, so long as we're not giving up a current core player.

And I'll say about Eller what I said about Subban: no reason to "get over it"... you need to learn from past mistakes and the Eller trade is still affecting where our team is now and it is still something we will use to judge our current GM, so it remains very much relevant to what is going on.

Apparently Edmonton is looking for a 3rd line center. Perhaps RNH using Plekanec, Desharnais, Mitchell, or Danault plus Emelin.
I'm not familiar enough with Fayne, but if we can make use of him, they'd probably like to get him off their books. Would he be able to fill Pateryn's spot?
We could always move him and/or leave him exposed at the end of the season (he's under contract for next year, so he qualifies as our 1 D we have to offer).

On 2/17/2017 at 1:26 PM, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Grigorenko is just 22-23, has good size and can play either wing or center... I think short of overspending for Duchene this could be a decent move that may pay dividends. He is available (Spector - Darren Dreger reports the Avalanche could put Jarome Iginla, Mikhail Grigorenko and Patrick Wiercioch in play for the trade deadline.).

Besides it would also allow Bergevin to perhaps deal a lower draft choice or different prospect other than a Sergachev  for a project/prospect

I agree ,Grigorenko would fit in well here . You wouldn't have to sell the farm to get him here. I would also add Borrows from Vancouver .