The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Aware he's from Ontario, but he's still a Francophone. Habs have gone with guys like Pouliot and Jacques Martin and others who are Franco-Ontarians before too. Heck, Bouillon's American and the team still treated him like he was a dignitary. Conversely, there was no big hoopla for Torrey Mitchell, who's from Montreal but speaks French as a second language only. For Bergevin and the Habs, it's never been about where you're born, it's been about whether you're on the right side of the language debate.

Wow!

Apparently Drouin is available again in TB. This sounds very surprising, but i think Yzerman has always held a bit of a grudge after the kerfuffle last year.   He wont come cheap though.  I think you'd have to move a player of at least Gallagher's quality to get him.  Not sure if it the right fit here (especially if we do lose Radu in the off season) but i would kick the tires at least if i was MB. 

6 hours ago, maas_art said:

Apparently Drouin is available again in TB. This sounds very surprising, but i think Yzerman has always held a bit of a grudge after the kerfuffle last year.   He wont come cheap though.  I think you'd have to move a player of at least Gallagher's quality to get him.  Not sure if it the right fit here (especially if we do lose Radu in the off season) but i would kick the tires at least if i was MB. 

I'd take a look into that. I don't think I would move Gallagher to TB, just to protect Price's sanity in those matchups, but shipping Gallagher far away for something different that Tampa wants, might be acceptable. That would mean Shaw has to live up to his contract and play a second line role, or someone else needs to step up big time. McCarron, Hudon, Scherbak, etc. Otherwise the default option is Byron.

1 minute ago, Regis22 said:

Evander Kane is not the type of player MB would want on the Habs

He's a  guy that lacks character r, he likes to party too much

I think that's a rather dated generalization of Evander Kane.  Believe me, I have NEVER been an Evander Kane fan.  However, since being acquired by Buffalo, I think he's played a respectable, gritty, two-way game.  I think that is a result of the positive influence of Sabres Captain, Brian Gionta.  He's been Kane's linemate for most of the year.  He'd be a really good fit for us.  A powerforward is something we really lack on our scoring lines.

7 hours ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

What about Evander Kane?  He's the only 20 goal scorer on the entire trade bait list.  We could use a power forward like that for a playoff push.  What do you think it would take to add him?

I've already mentioned it in the forums before and I think Evander Kane would be a great addition! :5187:

• 2 weeks later...

For the lack of a proper thread (or at least I can't find it),, I'll put this here.

Before the end of their annual meetings, NHL general managers recommended two rule changes.

GMs asked for a team that ices the puck to not be allowed to take a timeout. They also recommended that if a team on the power play touches the puck with a high-stick, that the ensuing faceoff should be held just outside the attacking blue line. Draws currently go all the way back to the defensive zone for the team on the man-advantage.

New Jersey Devils general manager Ray Shero said about the timeout rule. “The idea is people talk about how ‘you shouldn’t be allowed to ice the puck’ but when the timeout came into play when we instituted the timeout, all of a sudden, the tired team, if the team is tired that means the other team has sustained pressure and also they ice it … then why should the get a benefit from that if they still have a timeout remaining? That has been talked about for a little while now and that’s something we did today.”

The timeout was supposed to increase end-of-game drama, but using it after an icing changed the initial cause of the rule. Overall, general managers believe it has impacted game play negatively.

It has also impacted the coach’s challenge since a coach needs a timeout to make a challenge.

4 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

For the lack of a proper thread (or at least I can't find it),, I'll put this here.

Before the end of their annual meetings, NHL general managers recommended two rule changes.

GMs asked for a team that ices the puck to not be allowed to take a timeout. They also recommended that if a team on the power play touches the puck with a high-stick, that the ensuing faceoff should be held just outside the attacking blue line. Draws currently go all the way back to the defensive zone for the team on the man-advantage.

New Jersey Devils general manager Ray Shero said about the timeout rule. “The idea is people talk about how ‘you shouldn’t be allowed to ice the puck’ but when the timeout came into play when we instituted the timeout, all of a sudden, the tired team, if the team is tired that means the other team has sustained pressure and also they ice it … then why should the get a benefit from that if they still have a timeout remaining? That has been talked about for a little while now and that’s something we did today.”

The timeout was supposed to increase end-of-game drama, but using it after an icing changed the initial cause of the rule. Overall, general managers believe it has impacted game play negatively.

It has also impacted the coach’s challenge since a coach needs a timeout to make a challenge.

if you can't take a timeout after an icing you will just have to keep icing the puck until your rested.

• 3 weeks later...

An explanation why Jagr wasn't signed. 

Over the past few offseasons, Jaromir Jagr had been tied to the Montreal Canadiens while he was a free agent. The veteran forward he once said that would like to wear a Canadiens sweater before calls it a career.

However, general manager Marc Bergevin never signed him to a deal even when he fit what the Habs were looking for on the market. There seems to be a very specific reason why a union between the two never occurred.

Richard Labbé of La Presse was recently a guest on 98.1 FM CHOI and he revealed that Jagr and Bergevin did not get along at all when they were teammates on the Pittsburgh Penguins and there still could be some hard feelings between them.

Labbé even mentioned that Jagr reached out to Bergevin in summer of 2013, but the Habs general manager never called him back. Jagr went on to sign with the New Jersey Devils and scored 24 goals and 67 points while playing in all 82 games.

Jagr will be a free agent again this summer, but after hearing this story it is doubtful that he will sign in Montreal.

http://www.gohabsgo.com/2017/03/26/the-real-reason-why-jaromir-jagr-has-never-signed-/

I am not surprised that personal feelings seem to have driven Bergevin's agenda .... why do you think P.K. is no longer with the team? I am afraid that Jagr's abilities have eroded somewhat and it is too late to sign him as a 60+ point guy now .... just another reason to wave ADIOS to bargainbin when the season ends .....

10 hours ago, manquant said:

An explanation why Jagr wasn't signed. 

Over the past few offseasons, Jaromir Jagr had been tied to the Montreal Canadiens while he was a free agent. The veteran forward he once said that would like to wear a Canadiens sweater before calls it a career.

However, general manager Marc Bergevin never signed him to a deal even when he fit what the Habs were looking for on the market. There seems to be a very specific reason why a union between the two never occurred.

Richard Labbé of La Presse was recently a guest on 98.1 FM CHOI and he revealed that Jagr and Bergevin did not get along at all when they were teammates on the Pittsburgh Penguins and there still could be some hard feelings between them.

Labbé even mentioned that Jagr reached out to Bergevin in summer of 2013, but the Habs general manager never called him back. Jagr went on to sign with the New Jersey Devils and scored 24 goals and 67 points while playing in all 82 games.

Jagr will be a free agent again this summer, but after hearing this story it is doubtful that he will sign in Montreal.

http://www.gohabsgo.com/2017/03/26/the-real-reason-why-jaromir-jagr-has-never-signed-/

Its speculation, so i wont take it as gospel, but if true, really contradicts his whole "my job is to make the team better, not be popular" mantra.   If we didnt sign Jagr because the scouting staff felt like he was unlikely to have an impact, fine - they made a mistake, but so do we all.

However, if we never signed him because Bergevin didnt like him as a person?  Thats inexcusable.  Since the time we were first linked to Jagr, he's scored 221 points in 312 games - thats a lot of points to let slip away because our GM didnt like a guy. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Its speculation, so i wont take it as gospel, but if true, really contradicts his whole "my job is to make the team better, not be popular" mantra.   If we didnt sign Jagr because the scouting staff felt like he was unlikely to have an impact, fine - they made a mistake, but so do we all.

However, if we never signed him because Bergevin didnt like him as a person?  Thats inexcusable.  Since the time we were first linked to Jagr, he's scored 221 points in 312 games - thats a lot of points to let slip away because our GM didnt like a guy. 

That's not counting all the points that have slipped away over the last 5 years because he "did" like a guy. :P

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

5 hours ago, RicochetII said:

That's not counting all the points that have slipped away over the last 5 years because he "did" like a guy. :P

The entire Bergevin regime has had overtones of decision-making because of "feelings about people" or liking/not liking players. Bergevin hired Therrien because he "had a good feeling about him" and he traded Subban because he and Therrien despised him as a person irrespective of his on-ice performance. They dumped Eller because Therrien didn't like him. He's stuck it out with Lefebvre and Daigneault and Lacroix and Therrien and others because they're his friends, not because of actual performance. He dumped Kristo and Thomas and Kassian and Smith-Pelly and others because he didn't like their behavior off-ice. Both Bergevin and Therrien have shown contempt for the media and talked about how they don't like being second-guessed or asked questions along lines that throw doubt on what they've done. There's absolutely been a lot of personal agenda and ego placed ahead of team success by both men, so while I can't comment on the truthfulness of the Jagr story, all we can say is that it wouldn't be the first time.

6 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

The entire Bergevin regime has had overtones of decision-making because of "feelings about people" or liking/not liking players. Bergevin hired Therrien because he "had a good feeling about him" and he traded Subban because he and Therrien despised him as a person irrespective of his on-ice performance. They dumped Eller because Therrien didn't like him. He's stuck it out with Lefebvre and Daigneault and Lacroix and Therrien and others because they're his friends, not because of actual performance. He dumped Kristo and Thomas and Kassian and Smith-Pelly and others because he didn't like their behavior off-ice. Both Bergevin and Therrien have shown contempt for the media and talked about how they don't like being second-guessed or asked questions along lines that throw doubt on what they've done. There's absolutely been a lot of personal agenda and ego placed ahead of team success by both men, so while I can't comment on the truthfulness of the Jagr story, all we can say is that it wouldn't be the first time.

That makes it sound like obdurate megalomania with a healthy dose of nepotism. Sadly, an apt description.
If it came from Jagr, I'd tend to believe it anyway. Remember the girl that posted the photo, and he was like "Oh yeah, that was me. What of it?". :P

Really hoping Julien influences some big changes in the organization. Less veterans taking less minutes in the AHL, better development staff, actual systems to follow, and hopefully he has someone in mind as a somewhat protege to recommend to coach the farm team.

I completely believe that MB didn't call Jagr back. Not sure whether that was because of an old feud or some other reason though. Remember Larry Robinson also stated that he had called the Habs expressing interest in coaching here before they hired Therrien, and Robinson is on record saying the Habs never even returned his call to tell him they weren't interested. They just left him hanging. An ex-star here and a coach with a Cup on his resume, and we can't even be bothered to return his call. I think it was LeBrun or Friedman or someone who stated Babcock showed interest in coming to Montreal if the Habs were thinking about parting with Therrien and by all accounts, MB never picked up the phone to find out whether this was a real option. Now you can argue this latter example isn't really MB being spiteful or arrogant or anything, but it does show that MB sided with his own failing coach/friend over a guy widely regarded by many in the NHL as being the top coach in the league.

5 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I completely believe that MB didn't call Jagr back. Not sure whether that was because of an old feud or some other reason though. Remember Larry Robinson also stated that he had called the Habs expressing interest in coaching here before they hired Therrien, and Robinson is on record saying the Habs never even returned his call to tell him they weren't interested. They just left him hanging. An ex-star here and a coach with a Cup on his resume, and we can't even be bothered to return his call. I think it was LeBrun or Friedman or someone who stated Babcock showed interest in coming to Montreal if the Habs were thinking about parting with Therrien and by all accounts, MB never picked up the phone to find out whether this was a real option. Now you can argue this latter example isn't really MB being spiteful or arrogant or anything, but it does show that MB sided with his own failing coach/friend over a guy widely regarded by many in the NHL as being the top coach in the league.

Ya know,,, if were coach/GM, I would hire/trade for the "best" player/coach that I could find. That would mean that if I felt that "player A" would be better on the Habs, even if I disliked him., I would still try to sign him. 

Ya want the best for our team.

13 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Ya know,,, if were coach/GM, I would hire/trade for the "best" player/coach that I could find. That would mean that if I felt that "player A" would be better on the Habs, even if I disliked him., I would still try to sign him. 

Ya want the best for our team.

With Babcock though Molson himself has said he wants a bilingual coach , and Babcock also has stated he had no interest in learning any French or other language to coach.

3 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

With Babcock though Molson himself has said he wants a bilingual coach , and Babcock also has stated he had no interest in learning any French or other language to coach.

Source for that Babcock statement? haven't heard that before.

We know the Habs have softened on that language stance though. If they offered Gallant an interview for the HC job, and if you believe the rumor he was their next choice after Julien, then they are willing to entertain having an anglophone.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Source for that Babcock statement? haven't heard that before.

We know the Habs have softened on that language stance though. If they offered Gallant an interview for the HC job, and if you believe the rumor he was their next choice after Julien, then they are willing to entertain having an anglophone.

An interview a while back on FOX sports Detroit in his last year as wings head coach. Mickey Redmond had mentioned about the French language and he had jokingly stated at this time he had no interest in learning a new language just to coach. He at that time hadn't even made any decisions on if he was leaving or staying in Detroit. Though it was late in the season and he knew Detroit would give him what he wanted so everyone was already assuming he was leaving by being uncommitted.

• 4 weeks later...

I think this goes here. Please move if it is in the wrong thread. http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/latest-news/2017/4/26/15433468/montreal-canadiens-sign-former-khl-player-jakub-jerabek-habs-highlights-defenceman-rumor-habs-khl

R-Sport, the sports section of RIA, one of two biggest news agencies in Russia, is reporting that Czech defender Jakub Jerabek will sign a contract with the Montreal Canadiens once his current contract in the KHL expires.

MOSCOW, April 26 - R-Sport. Czech defender of the Moscow region "Vityaz" Yakub Erzhabek will continue his career in the club of the National Hockey League (NHL) " Montreal ", a source close to the situation told R-Sport agency.”

Jerabek has garnered interest from several clubs around the league.

This would be the first time the Canadiens dipped into the KHL waters for a defenceman, after signing Jiri Sekac and Alexander Radulov in previous season. Of course, the Canadiens have been rumoured in the hunt for players like Vadim Shipachyov, and were in the race for another Czech D, Michal Kempny, before he signed with the Chicago Blackhawks.

Jerabek is a left-handed shot, and a quick view of film will give you a slight Andrei Markovvibe. Jerabek, 25, had five goals and 29 assists (34 points) in 59 games for Vityaz Podolsk.

He added a goal and an assist in four playoff games. It was his first season in the KHL. His 34 points were good for fifth among KHL defencemen.

He has a solid all-around game, with the potential for offence and can run a power play.

He had five assists in eight games at last year’s World Hockey Championship where Habs forward Tomas Plekanec was captain.

Previous to that, he played in the Czech Extraliga, and had 99 points in 308 career games.

Thanks to @The_HockeyNinja for additional information on Jerabek. And to Igor Eronko for confirming the source of the report.

More From Eyes On The Prize

3 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Kucherov on the hot seat in Tampa. Now there's someone i would be interested in for Chucky if we're indeed trading him. We would likely have to add to the deal.

Also speculation from McKenzie about Drouin.

Why?