The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

Just now, H_T_L said:

Why is he on the hot seat??? Because he criticized the team about lack of effort from some. Article is here

http://www.tsn.ca/kucherov-some-bolts-got-paid-quit-working-1.735544

Then good for us,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe. :)

2 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Then good for us,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe. :)

It's someone id take a shot at. We have a reported (speculation) disgruntled Chucky and they have him. Seems like a good match for a trade. Again,,,i think we'd need to add something to the deal.

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

It's someone id take a shot at. We have a reported (speculation) disgruntled Chucky and they have him.Seems like a good match for a trade.Again,,,i think we'd need to add something to the deal.

IDK,,,,to me it seems that it "should" be an even up trade, as Chuck has a lot of upside, but he's just on the wrong team or wasn't given a fair shake.

4 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

IDK,,,,to me it seems that it "should" be an even up trade, as Chuck has a lot of upside, but he's just on the wrong team or wasn't given a fair shake.

The guy popped 40 goals this year without Stamkos. Going to be difficult to convince Tampa that Chucky is even value in a trade. 

Just now, H_T_L said:

The guy popped 40 goals this year without Stamkos. Going to be difficult to convince Tampa that Chucky is even value in a trade. 

OK,,, dint know that.

8 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I don't know if i'd go that far, but i'd kick the tires for sure

Seems like a younger clone of Rad in attitude. Our window, IMO, is in the next 2 years, so MB had better pull out all the stops to get some more scoring. 

Engels article:

"

MONTREAL — Marc Bergevin should do whatever it takes to acquire John Tavares.

If the New York Islanders centre doesn’t come to terms on a long-term extension when he becomes eligible to sign one as of July 1, 2017, if he becomes a piece that Islanders GM Garth Snow has no choice but to dangle on the market because he doesn’t want to face the possibility of losing him for nothing as an unrestricted free agent on July 1 of 2018, then the Montreal Canadiens GM has to do everything in his power to get him.

If it means trading the ninth-overall pick in 2016 — an uber-talented defenceman in Mikhail Sergachev — and a couple of key roster pieces, Bergevin has to do it. If it means trading off multiple first-round picks and the third-overall selection in 2012 in Alex Galchenyuk — a player Bergevin said on Monday is best suited to help his team as a winger — he has to do it. If it means putting together a package that includes virtually any Canadiens player not named Carey Price or Shea Weber… well, you get the point."

22 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

And why should Weber's name be excluded from that list??

Because Weber's trade value isn't as high as the player we gave up to get him.  I honestly believe Bergevin should be fired.  There is an inherent flaw in the player development process.  Whether it's up to the player or not, we are just producing way too many 1st round busts and duds in general.

Just a balloon, but, we've been talking about trading this player or that player for a big  #1 center. What about an offer sheet to a RFA? Take for instance Draisaitl (29G, 48A). H's 21,,, is a RFA,,, and can score, granted he played with McDavid. His cost? At $5,478,986 to $7,305,316,,,First-, second-, and third-round pick. At $7,305,316 to $9,131,645,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Two first-round picks and a second- and third-round pick. Let's face it,,, not many of our 1st rounders have worked out.

Caveat,,,, Draisaitl is just an example.

JM2C.

41 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Just a balloon, but, we've been talking about trading this player or that player for a big  #1 center. What about an offer sheet to a RFA? Take for instance Draisaitl (29G, 48A). H's 21,,, is a RFA,,, and can score, granted he played with McDavid. His cost? At $5,478,986 to $7,305,316,,,First-, second-, and third-round pick. At $7,305,316 to $9,131,645,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Two first-round picks and a second- and third-round pick. Let's face it,,, not many of our 1st rounders have worked out.

JM2C.

It's a big big gamble ..... if he reverts to middle of the road numbers are we going to survive relinquishing all those picks plus a huge contract just to find out the guy is ordinary without McDavid? The problem with going after any RFA of course is that they might come back after one of ours .... AND ... it is Very expensive in money and picks .... PLUS: We have a general manager who wouldn't know talent if it fell off a ladder and landed on him ....

2 minutes ago, eldag said:

It's a big big gamble ..... if he reverts to middle of the road numbers are we going to survive relinquishing all those picks plus a huge contract just to find out the guy is ordinary without McDavid? The problem with going after any RFA of course is that they might come back after one of ours .... AND ... it is Very expensive in money and picks .... PLUS: We have a general manager who wouldn't know talent if it fell off a ladder and landed on him ....

This,

I've had a better eye for talent with my beer goggles on at closing time.

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

JM2C.

Because we don't know how to pick 'em!!! Or else we ruin them. We picked Leblanc instead of Kreider or Marcus Johanson, Tinordi instead of John Klingberg(133) or Kuznetsov. Sometimes I think we make the mistake of picking the best player available instead picking the best player available to fill a need( now or in the near future) mainly because it seems to be very difficult to make a trade to fill a need. 

http://www.gohabsgo.com/2017/04/27/should-bergevin-sign-this-64-220lb-center-to-play-/

It's that time of the year, where every hockey expert is analyzing the Montreal Canadiens and the team's needs this summer, and the various experts are already starting to look at the players who could possibly help the Habs in the free agent market.

Francois Gagnon of RDS has been everywhere over the last couple days and he mentioned that Marc Bergevin should target San Jose Sharks center and playmaker Joe Thornton.

Jumbo Joe will be a free agent July 1st and Gagnon mentioned that he thinks "Max Pacioretty would score 50 goals with Thornton next to him next season."

The big 6'4 and 220 pound center has slowed down in recent years with only putting up 7 goals last season, but he's always been recognized as being one of the best passers in the game.

Alex Galchenyuk does not seem like he'll be playing on the first line next year and Thornton could be the perfect option to play with Max Pacioretty as well as Alex Radulov.

Would you take a chance with the 37-year-old forward or do you think his best years are behind him, especially considering he just played the playoffs with a torn ACL & MCL?

2 hours ago, manquant said:

http://www.gohabsgo.com/2017/04/27/should-bergevin-sign-this-64-220lb-center-to-play-/

It's that time of the year, where every hockey expert is analyzing the Montreal Canadiens and the team's needs this summer, and the various experts are already starting to look at the players who could possibly help the Habs in the free agent market.

Francois Gagnon of RDS has been everywhere over the last couple days and he mentioned that Marc Bergevin should target San Jose Sharks center and playmaker Joe Thornton.

Jumbo Joe will be a free agent July 1st and Gagnon mentioned that he thinks "Max Pacioretty would score 50 goals with Thornton next to him next season."

The big 6'4 and 220 pound center has slowed down in recent years with only putting up 7 goals last season, but he's always been recognized as being one of the best passers in the game.

Alex Galchenyuk does not seem like he'll be playing on the first line next year and Thornton could be the perfect option to play with Max Pacioretty as well as Alex Radulov.

Would you take a chance with the 37-year-old forward or do you think his best years are behind him, especially considering he just played the playoffs with a torn ACL & MCL?

hahaha Joe Thornton at 37 ... yeah, that's what we need.      WTH is wrong with Gagnon, does he not even think before he writes.   Sure Thornton say 3-5 years ago would have been a good fit ... just starting the downward trend of his career etc ... not now at 37 and essentually being Scott Gomez v2.0

7 hours ago, habs_93 said:

Gagnon, as usual, has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

Zero interest.

I'm willing to be that Gagnon hasn't watched a full Sharks game in years.

Thornton on an expiring contract is someone you could consider as a deadline acquisition – you know, instead of going after guys like King or Martinsen – but he's definitely not a player we should be targeting on July 1st. 

4 hours ago, ChiLla said:

I'm willing to be that Gagnon hasn't watched a full Sharks game in years.

Thornton on an expiring contract is someone you could consider as a deadline acquisition – you know, instead of going after guys like King or Martinsen – but he's definitely not a player we should be targeting on July 1st. 

Gagnon, like Bergevin, evaluates players based on what-have-you-done-in-the-past, not based on what they can do in the future. I actually think Thornton will be a serviceable 2nd-line center for another couple of years (assuming his surgery recovery goes ok). But he's definitely not a primary target to solve our problems and I imagine he'll be overpaid for what he's worth.