The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

18 hours ago, manquant said:

http://www.gohabsgo.com/2017/04/27/should-bergevin-sign-this-64-220lb-center-to-play-/

It's that time of the year, where every hockey expert is analyzing the Montreal Canadiens and the team's needs this summer, and the various experts are already starting to look at the players who could possibly help the Habs in the free agent market.

Francois Gagnon of RDS has been everywhere over the last couple days and he mentioned that Marc Bergevin should target San Jose Sharks center and playmaker Joe Thornton.

Jumbo Joe will be a free agent July 1st and Gagnon mentioned that he thinks "Max Pacioretty would score 50 goals with Thornton next to him next season."

The big 6'4 and 220 pound center has slowed down in recent years with only putting up 7 goals last season, but he's always been recognized as being one of the best passers in the game.

Alex Galchenyuk does not seem like he'll be playing on the first line next year and Thornton could be the perfect option to play with Max Pacioretty as well as Alex Radulov.

Would you take a chance with the 37-year-old forward or do you think his best years are behind him, especially considering he just played the playoffs with a torn ACL & MCL?

Amazing plan.

We're just going to need to dust off that time machine first. I have no doubt that Max Pacioretty will score 50 goals along side 2002-2008 Joe Thornton.  Can we trade for him? 

3 hours ago, fnveenie said:

According to Eric Engels, Vadim Shipachyov will not sign with the Canadiens. He is fielding several large offers from other teams and the Habs are looking elsewhere.

Of course .... the Canadiens will be checking out the bargainbin

3 hours ago, fnveenie said:

According to Eric Engels, Vadim Shipachyov will not sign with the Canadiens. He is fielding several large offers from other teams and the Habs are looking elsewhere.

34 minutes ago, eldag said:

Of course .... the Canadiens will be checking out the bargainbin

Being a GM is so hard.

Going after a centerman? Whats new?

UFA MARKET

Thornton? Past his prime...Hanzal? Dont even bother...Shipashov? Not signing here...Bonino? Gagner? Boyle? Ryan?...Not top C material....Hey, maybe Davey D is the best left available...

TRADES

The only teams that might be willing to trade top C away are rebuilding teams. Its honestly a very shallow bin to go shopping with. DUCHENE, might be available for the right price, McKINNON is unlikely, SPEZZA doesn't like highly pressured markets, CARTER maybe if LA rebuilds, and some others like STAAL, NUGENT-HOPKINS, KOIVU, SEDIN, the availability of whom is uncertain for now. From all the above Duchene is the most likely and we already know the asking price...Sergachev and a 1st round pick. If you want to win now, you do the trade, if you want to build, you dont. Personally, i would do the trade, only if COL was willing ta take Plekanec's contract back.

Why not go after a player with potential that hasn't make his team yet, or is stuck in his team stracture, like STROME, BENNETT, REINHART? They too will cost much, but i cant stop thinking that they may be better options for the future. Finally why not find teams in Cap hell and offersheet a player, that fills your needs. I know its unlikely but imagine Wennberg from CBJ or Granlund from MIN. I would add Druin from TBL but he is not a center...

...just my thoughts for the center quest... 

4 hours ago, grecohab said:

From all the above Duchene is the most likely and we already know the asking price...Sergachev and a 1st round pick. If you want to win now, you do the trade, if you want to build, you dont. Personally, i would do the trade, only if COL was willing ta take Plekanec's contract back.

Even doing the trade this team still doesn't have what it takes IMHO

6 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I'm still holding some faint hope for Tavares.

Same.

4 hours ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I think if you were to offer Pacioretty, you could wiggle Tavares from Snow.  I think you go, before the expansion draft:

To NYI:  Max Pacioretty, Alex Galchenyuk, Nathan Beaulieu, 1st, 2017

To MTL: John Tavares, Nick Leddy

Thats probably close to the right value - especially if you're adding in Leddy coming back - but we can ill afford to lose both of our top 2 LW. Imagine if Radulov doesnt resign too?  We'd have what, Tavares, Gallagher and Lehkonen in our top 6?

While Leddy would for sure help our top 4, I think if you move for Tavares you may have to limit it to just him because the price for both would be off the charts. Then again, Snow is nuts so... 

2 hours ago, grecohab said:

,Its highly unlikely he gets to the market...they will resign him and he is going to get paid...franchise players tend to stay loyal especially at this age...just look at Stamkos...

Very true. We do have something that the Islanders would covet however, in the way of a local boy and a perennial 30 goal scorer. I would rather add to a guy like Max, but you need to part with quality to get some back in return. It's going to cost us big to sign Max after next year and it's likely he'll take a lot of grief about it in Montreal. Opens up the Captain spot that so many seem to begrudge him also.

5 hours ago, grecohab said:

Its highly unlikely he gets to the market...they will resign him and he is going to get paid...franchise players tend to stay loyal especially at this age...just look at Stamkos...

Unlike Stamkos though, there's been a lot of chatter in NY that Tavares wants out.  The fact that year after year they lose, or have to trade away, UFAs probably adds fuel to the fire.

Obviously NYI have over 14 months to come to an agreement with him, but there seems to be a lot of speculation that if he doesnt sign in the next couple of months, they will assume a deal cant get done & they will trade him this summer so they can begin to work around whatever new package they acquire. 

3 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Very true. We do have something that the Islanders would covet however, in the way of a local boy and a perennial 30 goal scorer. I would rather add to a guy like Max, but you need to part with quality to get some back in return. It's going to cost us big to sign Max after next year and it's likely he'll take a lot of grief about it in Montreal. Opens up the Captain spot that so many seem to begrudge him also.

Right.  Pacioretty would be a really appealing piece for the islanders & immediately become the face of the franchise as a hometown boy (well, nearly - he was born in Connecticut like yours truly) but of course the appeal of Pacioretty in NY would be to have him play alongside Tavares...  Likewise, we would ideally want Tavares lining up on our first line next to Pacioretty. 

I almost feel like the better deal (even though I absolutely do not want to lose either of them) would be Galchenyuk + Gallagher.  Maybe, if you're lucky, you can convince Snow to take one of those guys, a top prospect and a 1st.  But i dunno. I think he's going to want bodies now. 

As much as i want Tavares - and he'd immediately become our best forward - I am not sure if there's a deal there that wont gut our team. 

On 4/28/2017 at 11:09 AM, maas_art said:

We're just going to need to dust off that time machine first. I have no doubt that Max Pacioretty will score 50 goals along side 2002-2008 Joe Thornton.  Can we trade for him? 

This is just an aside because I'm a huge fan, 2008-2016 Joe Thornton was/is also a pretty special player. You can make a pretty strong argument he actually improved during his 30s, he was elite defensively in his 30s and consistently was among the top producing centers, even having an 82P season last year at 36. 

Obviously I'd prefer a younger center like Shipachyov or Duchene etc. but I think Thornton would still be a good addition and unless he hugely declines he'd be easily the best center on the team.

On 5/5/2017 at 2:06 AM, maas_art said:

Same.

Thats probably close to the right value - especially if you're adding in Leddy coming back - but we can ill afford to lose both of our top 2 LW. Imagine if Radulov doesnt resign too?  We'd have what, Tavares, Gallagher and Lehkonen in our top 6?

While Leddy would for sure help our top 4, I think if you move for Tavares you may have to limit it to just him because the price for both would be off the charts. Then again, Snow is nuts so... 

See, if you're going to go after Brooklyn's elite scorer, then you have to hand him OUR elite scorer.  You can trade picks and prospects to a team for a scoring winger.  Or pick a guy up in Free Agency.  And, to be honest, I'm not opposed to Lehkonen as Tavares LW.  I'm ok with rebuilding this roster around Tavares.  I'd be much happier however, blowing up the roster, this year and going after Joe Veleno in 2018.  

According to Newsday, the Isles have offered John Tavares the maximum 8 year deal worth 10M per season. That's probably a pretty decent test of whether he wants to stay in Long Island. If he says no, then chances are good the Isles will need to trade him.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

According to Newsday, the Isles have offered John Tavares the maximum 8 year deal worth 10M per season. That's probably a pretty decent test of whether he wants to stay in Long Island. If he says no, then chances are good the Isles will need to trade him.

Was thinking the same thing.  Thats pretty much a league max deal (yes there are technically a few guys making more). If he says no to that, he isnt interested in being an Islander & we should throw pretty much whatever we can at him. He's already an elite talent. Get him a moderately decent supporting cast & I think he'd be a top 5 player in the league. 

41 minutes ago, habs_93 said:

Kings trade Bishop's negotiating rights to the Stars. Makes the Price/Weber+ for Benn/Klingberg+ even less realistic.

Maybe but again you look at things too literally & logically.  :P Price = God.  Weber = Man Mountain.   Sure, smart GMs will say see through the 'legends' but there are a handful of guys who might well see the sizzle & buy the steak regardless of its quality. If we're going to sell them (especially Weber) then the sizzle needs to be sold now. I dont know if a guy like Jim Nill would bite but I bet you someone out there would.  I still think its moot as long as Bergevin is GM though. 

4 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Was thinking the same thing.  Thats pretty much a league max deal (yes there are technically a few guys making more). If he says no to that, he isnt interested in being an Islander & we should throw pretty much whatever we can at him. He's already an elite talent. Get him a moderately decent supporting cast & I think he'd be a top 5 player in the league. 

Maybe but again you look at things too literally & logically.  :P Price = God.  Weber = Man Mountain.   Sure, smart GMs will say see through the 'legends' but there are a handful of guys who might well see the sizzle & buy the steak regardless of its quality. If we're going to sell them (especially Weber) then the sizzle needs to be sold now. I dont know if a guy like Jim Nill would bite but I bet you someone out there would.  I still think its moot as long as Bergevin is GM though. 

Yup.

15 hours ago, jeff33 said:

from the immortal eklund

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/The-Unprotected-Hab-Could-be-PLUS-rumored-MTLLV-Trade-Mons-Buzzcast/1/85046

fast version...me might trade them emelin so they wont touch hudon or byron

I know, its eklund so I shouldnt question his logic but if we think LV will take Davidson and we dont mind losing Davidson, why not just expose Davidson and protect Hudon & Byron.  Lol.

I still like the ideas in the other thread suggesting you dangle a guy like Byron (who probably wont be a 20 goal scorer again) and they (LV) will probably bite.    

2 minutes ago, habs_93 said:

Considering Hanzal is old, "big", sparingly talented, and not useful for a team in our position? Yeah, sounds about right. :lol:

Kinda scary if you think about it. I mean Danault virtually matched Hanzal's career high in points last season, which was his first full year in the NHL. Yeah sure, he's huge and probably hates losing a lot, but what's the idea here? Sign the guy to a 5-year deal and start the season with Hanzal, Danault, and Plekanec down the middle? Mediocrity here we come.

9 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Kinda scary if you think about it. I mean Danault virtually matched Hanzal's career high in points last season, which was his first full year in the NHL. Yeah sure, he's huge and probably hates losing a lot, but what's the idea here? Sign the guy to a 5-year deal and start the season with Hanzal, Danault, and Plekanec down the middle? Mediocrity here we come.

It's extremely disheartening. This is almost exactly the kind of move you'd expect the 2008-09 Oilers or 2007-08 Maple Leafs to make.

Sure seems like Bergevin is in full on damage control mode. Tack another two or three seasons onto the inevitable rebuild.