The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

On 5/20/2017 at 7:56 AM, ChiLla said:

Stepan and Miller for Galchenyuk? No thanks, the Rags can keep those guys.

So we'd essentially trade Subban, Galchenyuk, and Eller for Weber, Stepan, Miller, and a couple of late second rounders in a weak draft year? That's flat out horrible and exactly how you set a team back for years.

What set this team back back was the Subban trade and  Eller deals. Not trading Galchenyk. You dont trade your top positional players.. We are brutal down the middle right now and need also need an upgrade our backend with pucking moving dee. Personally I would blow up the whole team. This is not the draft year to do that though. 

Galchenyk has not reached his potential, nobody knows where he can play from one night to the next,  and is horrible i mean horrible in the defensive zone. No matter where he starts his line ends up in the defensive zone more often then any other player on his team.  

On 5/20/2017 at 0:37 AM, BigTed3 said:

Why can we not find 18 minutes a night for Galchenyuk? He has a positive Corsi, positive scoring chance ratio, and positive expected goals for ratio. All that to say that no matter how bad you might think he is defensively, the team is still producing more shot attempts, scoring chances, and goals for at ES with him on the ice than the opposition. 

The answer to that is quite simple. He started  in the OZ at a whopping 43.97%, the only other player with 50 or more games even close to him was Radulov at 38.53%..More than any other player on the team he gets offensive zone starts. His line should be getting more shot attemps and scoring chances as far as even strengh goals i am not sure how that is when his plus minus is a minus value. Thats like playing poker and your first two cards are always a pair, your odds of succes are already higher than anyone else :) Coversly he only started in the defensive zone 22.27% of the time. Wow Wow Wow.

Here i will give you a choice between a six chamber gum with one bullet and a six chamber gum with five bullets. Galchenyk keeps getting the one with one bullet.

I'm not 100% against trading Chucky. I just think that

1. The Habs have devalued him because of how much they've juggled him around the line-up and ruined his confidence.

No matter the reason, he has really become a liability, he has been sheltered more than any other player on the team, maybe he will reach his potential? I just dont see it happening on this team. Julien is a similiar coach to therrien in the fact u have to be able to play on all 3 zones. Galchenyk is only good right now in 1 and 1/2 zones,  from the red line in. And when i watched him in the playoffs he was not even any good there.

2. There is too much focus on his defensive woes and not enough on the fact that his offence has produced more success than his defence has produced problems.

The only way to right that would be to high

Given how weak we are at center, grabbing more 2nd-to-3rd line guys is not the solution. You want to trade Chucky as part of a package for a bona fide 1st line center like Tavares, by all means.

Fair enough,  but i dont see any team doing this. I could see a Duchene or RNH. You would have to throw in a Deeman like Julsen or Emelin. I think you may be overvaluing Galchenyk because of the perceived pontential.

You want to trade him for a young guy who has the potential to be a #1 center like Draisaitl, by all means. You want to trade him for a guy who can be a top-pairing D man like OEL or Ekblad or Hedman and then use Weber as trade bait to get a #1 center in return, by all means.

But let's not trade our only potential 1st line center (and even if you don't believe he currently is one, he's still the only guy in the entire organization with the skill to be a 1C right now) for guys who's max ceiling is 2nd line.

Ok fair enough. But after 5 seasons. I have not seen  that potential last for more then  or 20 games. And when he is not scoring there is absolutely no place in the lineup for him. NONE.

15 hours ago, Ravadak said:

What set this team back back was the Subban trade and  Eller deals. Not trading Galchenyk. You dont trade your top positional players.. We are brutal down the middle right now and need also need an upgrade our backend with pucking moving dee. Personally I would blow up the whole team. This is not the draft year to do that though. 

Galchenyk has not reached his potential, nobody knows where he can play from one night to the next,  and is horrible i mean horrible in the defensive zone. No matter where he starts his line ends up in the defensive zone more often then any other player on his team.  

I'm actually leaning towards it as well. Without Carey Price, we're not even a playoff team at this point.

As for Bergevin's moves, IMO you can't look at them in isolation. He already weakened the team by trading Subban and Eller, and we'll be even worse at C if he trades Galchenyuk for Stepan and Miller.

There's only one scenario in which I'd consider moving Galchenyuk: In combination with Beaulieu plus picks/prospects for a legit No1 center, i.e. a clear-cut upgrade to what we have now.

Was looking at Eller's  numbers this season in Washington, no better there than he was here. even Pleks got more points in less games on a goal challenged team like ours! Danault with his first line minutes obviously outpaced him even Shaw who I am no fan of got more points in way less games! so not sure we lose big without him. and interestingly Subbans #'s were down in roughly the same # of games played compared to his last year here, perhaps because he is on a much better d squad now and did not get all the plum offensive roles.

http://www.gohabsgo.com/2017/05/24/mathias-brunet-explains-how-pk-subban-will-put-his/

i wonder if Bergevin could trade for him back (Poile retain some salary as that was a major factor he was traded) Maybe a swap of Emelin and Juulsen. That would be something that would loosen the noose on Bergevins neck, but it probably won't happen, It could kind of work salary wise. Then MB could take advantage of Chicagos salary situation and player protection problem by trading a player on the ELC or a prospect for Artem Anisimov. 

43 minutes ago, manquant said:

If it was me, I'd push to trade Plekanec if not claimed and if that's not possible, buy him out. Give Radulov the term he wants and worry about it later.  

Pure speculation on my part... Radulov will not be a Hab next year.

15 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Pure speculation on my part... Radulov will not be a Hab next year.

Ya,,, too much of a puck-hog,,,, and we get rid of them. :rolleyes:

What about Anisimov for a pair of  2nds?  Chicago's always looking to dump for cap space.  Maybe you can offer:

To CHI: MTL 2nd, 2017; MTL 2nd 2018

To MTL: Artem Anisimov

You're not moving Plekanec any time soon.  Not with Marc "Trades are hard" Bergevin at the helm.  He's going to go back to what he knows; feeding futures to his old boss for Chicago's overpaid table scraps.  But that is a piece you add to your centre depth without giving up a piece.  

Eliotte Friedman saying he thinks Montreal is a team that will be in on Kovalchuk. He states that Kovalchuk's first choice of destination might be the Rangers but that the Rags may not be interested in paying for him. So he thinks the Habs, Isles, and Panthers might be teams that step up to put in offers to NJ to acquire him. Russian sources are saying Kovalchuk now wants to stay in the KHL, although unclear how reliable that info is.

Pretty awful how most of the Habs rumors are about possibly trading Galchenyuk or Beaulieu, instead of rumors about our dumping bad contracts or acquiring other players who could be helpful. Why is it always rumors about things that could make us worse?

7 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Pretty awful how most of the Habs rumors are about possibly trading Galchenyuk or Beaulieu, instead of rumors about our dumping bad contracts or acquiring other players who could be helpful. Why is it always rumors about things that could make us worse?

well you have to give to get... I sound like a broken record on this forum but we need a center (maybe 2) our wing and D is pretty solid even without those two players. If we can get center(s) and lose those 2 guys I think it's worth it. I definitely like both those players but neither is a complete player 

50 minutes ago, habsisme said:

well you have to give to get... I sound like a broken record on this forum but we need a center (maybe 2) our wing and D is pretty solid even without those two players. If we can get center(s) and lose those 2 guys I think it's worth it. I definitely like both those players but neither is a complete player 

But the rumors are never "The Habs are trying hard to get Tavares" or "Habs showing interest in RNH"... it's always "Habs aren't happy with Subban, looking to trade him" or "Habs looking to dump DSP" or "Thomas on market after off-ice incident" or "Sekac sits in press box for 15 straight games, likely on outs with Habs"... we're not shopping Galchenyuk and Beaulieu to get better, we're shopping them because the Habs think they're problem players and want to get rid of them. Same old same old. I agree we need centers, but I'd like to see MB find a way to add without giving up better players than he's receiving, as has been the case recently.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Because that's what Bergevin does?

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

This team is like a rudderless boat going in circles, it has no future with this current GM. No vision, no desire. Add to the mix that he finds it hard to make trades.

16 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

This team is like a rudderless boat going in circles, it has no future with this current GM. No vision, no desire. Add to the mix that he finds it hard to make trades.

its also hard to draft good players, dont forget that. trades and drafts are hard. wearing funky suits though, no problem. so its a wash i guess.

eklunds latest has us getting rid of chuck and adding ansimov. 

1 hour ago, jeff33 said:

its also hard to draft good players, dont forget that. trades and drafts are hard. wearing funky suits though, no problem. so its a wash i guess.

eklunds latest has us getting rid of chuck and adding ansimov. 

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/crazy-blockbuster-trade-speculation-involving-canadiens-and-islanders

hockeyfeed.com is not exactly the most reliable source, however, it wouldn't surprise me to see Bergevin mortgage the future.

27 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/crazy-blockbuster-trade-speculation-involving-canadiens-and-islanders

hockeyfeed.com is not exactly the most reliable source, however, it wouldn't surprise me to see Bergevin mortgage the future.

So Mike Bossy is suggesting we trade Sergachev, Lindgren, a 1st round pick and a player similar to Pacioretty (Galchenyuk) for Tavares?

I'd counter that offer with Pacioretty, Juulsen, Lindgren plus a 1st rounder for Tavares then.

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

So Mike Bossy is suggesting we trade Sergachev, Lindgren, a 1st round pick and a player similar to Pacioretty (Galchenyuk) for Tavares?

I'd counter that offer with Pacioretty, Juulsen, Lindgren plus a 1st rounder for Tavares then.

If you want to swap Juulsen and Sergachev I have no problem , but I would definitely keep Pacs over Chucky. Pacs kills penalties and can be played in all situations where Chucky hasn't (after 5 years ) proven that he can be trusted in all situations. Yes Chucky has "potential" and world class skill but he hasn't shown consistency yet and may or may not? We would definitely have our #1 center and Danault could be a good #2 center, Let Mac give a try at # center. Call up Hudon to play wing and we have something to build around.

I definitely want to be sure we have Tavares extended but those centers are so valuable that I would consider that trade. I would counter with Lindgren, Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Juulsen, 1st and 2nd (this year's! only the 1 if its next year) for Tavares. I also want to make sure we have Price locked up before we make that trade (it would probably be necessary for Tavares to want to play here anyway). 

I don't think this is gonna happen but a player like Tavares REALLY makes us a contender

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

I definitely want to be sure we have Tavares extended but those centers are so valuable that I would consider that trade. I would counter with Lindgren, Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Juulsen, 1st and 2nd (this year's! only the 1 if its next year) for Tavares. I also want to make sure we have Price locked up before we make that trade (it would probably be necessary for Tavares to want to play here anyway). 

I don't think this is gonna happen but a player like Tavares REALLY makes us a contender

You want to give up the first overall pick and 4 more players for Tavares?

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

1 player isn't going to make this team a contender . You bring in Tavares the D still stinks and the next nine forwards are all fourth liners

6 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

1 player isn't going to make this team a contender . You bring in Tavares the D still stinks and the next nine forwards are all fourth liners

well it solves our biggest problem at least but I honestly think our D and even our Forwards are pretty good but we suck at the most important position in hockey (not goalie, that's the LEAST important in today's game). Need to win the middle! 

12 hours ago, Regis22 said:

IF you're looking to grab our 1st rounders and prospects, you're smoke signalling rebuild.  Counter as follows:

To NYI: Alex Galchenyuk, Nathan Beaulieu, Charlie Lindgren, 1st 2017, 1st 2018, MTL 2nd 2018, WSH 2nd, 2018

To MTL: John Tavares, Nick Leddy