The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

I am a little bit worried with the rumblings of us looking at #1 draft picks and the potential of us making a big trade, I know it is fun to imagine us with Tavares or with the #1 pick but at what cost to us long term? I feel we will need to do something big that will fix our #1 center issue right now if we want to win short term but I don't want to go down the path we did when we got Turgeon went nowhere and tanked for the best part of a decade either!

26 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I am a little bit worried with the rumblings of us looking at #1 draft picks and the potential of us making a big trade, I know it is fun to imagine us with Tavares or with the #1 pick but at what cost to us long term? I feel we will need to do something big that will fix our #1 center issue right now if we want to win short term but I don't want to go down the path we did when we got Turgeon went nowhere and tanked for the best part of a decade either!

who are you worried about losing? Except for Chucky, our players have peaked, they will be great for a few more years still but they are at the end of their prime years. Either we try to win now and rebuild later or we rebuild now. If we can build up the middle I think its worth it to go for it

Also, to use your example, we did not lose because of Turgeon or that trade! 

My point is I am worried that if we give up some of the current core in an attempt to win now such as Patches Gallagher and company to pick up Tavares would we have enough players left to actually win or would we be in the same shape we were with Turgeon a couple of great players but half a team no chance of winning much like now we have parts but not a complete unit. never was slamming Turgeon never said he was the problem just the right guy on the wrong team due to the balance of players. I don't trust our gm to get the balance of the team right! as for who he trades to make his move, that is what worries me!

48 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

My point is I am worried that if we give up some of the current core in an attempt to win now such as Patches Gallagher and company to pick up Tavares would we have enough players left to actually win or would we be in the same shape we were with Turgeon a couple of great players but half a team no chance of winning much like now we have parts but not a complete unit. never was slamming Turgeon never said he was the problem just the right guy on the wrong team due to the balance of players. I don't trust our gm to get the balance of the team right! as for who he trades to make his move, that is what worries me!

I don't see how that happens. If we made a trade like that the only players we could lose is Chucky and Beaulieu and prospects/picks 

I think its exactly what we need. The  way I see it, if it doesn't work we will trade Pacioretty's and the Gallaghers to regain those picks and prospects in a rebuild (not to mention Tavares and Price)

39 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Evander Kane anyone?

He's a good player but if he's our acquisition I would rather just rebuild. We don't need another winger. I think our winger are actually pretty good (if you consider Chucky a winger and I'm not sure why anyone still thinks he's a center, it seems highly unlikely). MAYBE if we lost Radulov but our team would still be worse off

16 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Chucky for Duchene has been an obvious rumor around for a while. We all know MB overvalues things Duchene brings and undervalues Galchenyuk's skillset. So it's unfortunately another Weber-Subban scenario where we would get a desirable commodity but at the expense of a better one.

Yeah.  If we managed to get Duchene and retain Galchneyuk for a centre group of Chucky-Duchene-Danault  I think we might be ok, but swapping one for the other is pretty much exactly Weber-Subban 2.0   Totally different players in the same position but arguably weaker and giving up skill in both cases. 

3 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

IMHO if we make a move for Tavares then Galchenyuk goes the other way.  Maybe packaged with a guy like Beau and picks but I dont see us moving Patches to acquire Tavares. I think NY will be most interested in replacing his offence (and get younger) so Chucky fits that bill. Patches was born an hour away from NY (and grew up an Isle fan i think) so i can see the rumors but it wouldnt make a ton of sense to acquire a playmaking centre and then get rid of your best goalscorer.... although it didnt make a lot of sense what we did last summer so...

I dont want to lose Galchenyuk and honestly there are like only a handful of centres in the league I would trade Chucky for but Tavares is one of them. He's grossly underated based on what he's had to play with & I think having Patches and possibly Radulov next to him would be huge.  I could see him being Toews 2.0 but with more scoring. He's an incredibly strong two way centre to boot. 

22 hours ago, maas_art said:

IMHO if we make a move for Tavares then Galchenyuk goes the other way.  Maybe packaged with a guy like Beau and picks but I dont see us moving Patches to acquire Tavares. I think NY will be most interested in replacing his offence (and get younger) so Chucky fits that bill. Patches was born an hour away from NY (and grew up an Isle fan i think) so i can see the rumors but it wouldnt make a ton of sense to acquire a playmaking centre and then get rid of your best goalscorer.... although it didnt make a lot of sense what we did last summer so...

I dont want to lose Galchenyuk and honestly there are like only a handful of centres in the league I would trade Chucky for but Tavares is one of them. He's grossly underated based on what he's had to play with & I think having Patches and possibly Radulov next to him would be huge.  I could see him being Toews 2.0 but with more scoring. He's an incredibly strong two way centre to boot. 

I agree with this. I would rather lose Chucky and Beau package for Tavares than say Duchene. I also think if we were able to sign Rads that with Tavares /Danault as 1-2 than work out 3-4 , this team as is already could contend. Hopefully bring up Hudon Lehkonen looked good , I actually think Tavares addition could put us a lot closer. I agree I don't want to give up Chucky for nothing and still think he may be able to put it together. This trade though I would make.

7 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I agree with this. I would rather lose Chucky and Beau package for Tavares than say Duchene. I also think if we were able to sign Rads that with Tavares /Danault as 1-2 than work out 3-4 , this team as is already could contend. Hopefully bring up Hudon Lehkonen looked good , I actually think Tavares addition could put us a lot closer. I agree I don't want to give up Chucky for nothing and still think he may be able to put it together. This trade though I would make.

I'm all for trading Chucky and Beaulieu as part of a package for Tavares.  I would also want to have Leddy added.  I would want a package that lands Both the top pairing left-handed shot and the elite centre we lack.  Whatever that package may look like.  I would hope that we could front load the deal with picks.  Snow like pulling off draft day deals for 1st rounders.  I still think this is Bergevin's play:

To MTL: John Tavares, Nick Leddy

To NYI: Alex Galchenyuk, Nathan Beaulieu, MTL's 1st, 2017, MTL's 1st 2018, MTL's 2nd, 2018, WSH 2nd, 2018 

It's an overpay future wise for MTL...But you're giving Garth Snow the equivalent in DP's that he would have received if Tavares was an RFA.  If you were to sign him to the offer sheet (in this case the extension); a player of his calibre demands, this would be the compensation.  The draft picks I mean.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:56 PM, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I'm all for trading Chucky and Beaulieu as part of a package for Tavares.  I would also want to have Leddy added.  I would want a package that lands Both the top pairing left-handed shot and the elite centre we lack.  Whatever that package may look like.  I would hope that we could front load the deal with picks.  Snow like pulling off draft day deals for 1st rounders.  I still think this is Bergevin's play:

To NYI: Alex Galchenyuk, Nathan Beaulieu, MTL's 1st, 2017, MTL's 1st 2018, MTL's 2nd, 2018, WSH 2nd, 2018 

It's an overpay future wise for MTL...But you're giving Garth Snow the equivalent in DP's that he would have received if Tavares was an RFA.  If you were to sign him to the offer sheet (in this case the extension); a player of his calibre demands, this would be the compensation.  The draft picks I mean.

I hate giving up to many high picks, but I agree. years draft is supposed to be weaker and if we finish strong enough ( cup! ) or close than it's low picks in those rounds anyway. We still have our future d-men moving forward. I would do that deal. The Iles get younger at those positions we get what we need now they get possible futures and save salary now. 

On 6/7/2017 at 4:56 PM, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I like it.  I usually hate giving away so many draft picks but I think this team needs to go "all in" right now.   I think if MB was to make a few key trades we have a window of 2 - 3 years at most. At that point we'll have to start ( a real) rebuild but for now, we need to do make some actual, legitimate moves.  This would make us a much better team in 2017-2018 (although it would sting in a few years).

A deal like this needs to be done.   

6 hours ago, maas_art said:

I like it.  I usually hate giving away so many draft picks but I think this team needs to go "all in" right now.   I think if MB was to make a few key trades we have a window of 2 - 3 years at most. At that point we'll have to start ( a real) rebuild but for now, we need to do make some actual, legitimate moves.  This would make us a much better team in 2017-2018 (although it would sting in a few years).

A deal like this needs to be done.   

If we give away all those picks we'll be foundering for years. 

As I've said before, if the organization were truly serious about going 100% all-in to win next season, I'd be in favour of a move like that or something similar, but it couldn't stop there. Simply adding Tavares and Leddy or players of similar caliber would not automatically make this team unbeatable. Without reducing Weber's 5-on-5 minutes, we're not going to win anything. There's other non-personnel decisions that would need to be made, too, and I have zero confidence in the organization to recognize the problems exist, let alone make the right choices to remediate them. So in the aggregate, I don't like these trade ideas. Basically, every minute with Bergevin at the reigns is wasted, and increases the future futility the team will have to endure once we start the inevitable rebuild.

10 hours ago, habs_93 said:

As I've said before, if the organization were truly serious about going 100% all-in to win next season, I'd be in favour of a move like that or something similar, but it couldn't stop there. Simply adding Tavares and Leddy or players of similar caliber would not automatically make this team unbeatable. Without reducing Weber's 5-on-5 minutes, we're not going to win anything. There's other non-personnel decisions that would need to be made, too, and I have zero confidence in the organization to recognize the problems exist, let alone make the right choices to remediate them. So in the aggregate, I don't like these trade ideas. Basically, every minute with Bergevin at the reigns is wasted, and increases the future futility the team will have to endure once we start the inevitable rebuild.

This. Agreed 100%.

Rumor is that Beau is being heavily shopped right now. 

That means that most likely:

1) we want to protect Weber/Petry/Benn (or Emelin) and dont want to lose Beau for nothing so we'll try to flip him for a forward, a prospect or a pick. 

2) we feel like we only have 2 defensmen worth protecting so we will try to move him to a team who has a great top 4 and knows they will lose at least one (Nashville?) and therefore upgrade our third protect dman. Obviously this would require adding something to sweeten the deal.

Most feel like if Beau is getting moved, it will happen before saturday so we might find out sooner rather than later. 

Meanwhile, several sources (including Darren Dreger) say they've heard no rumblings that Galchenyuk is being shopped. This is great news if true but of course doesnt mean a lot as MB likes to keep things quiet sometimes. 

17 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Rumor is that Beau is being heavily shopped right now. 

That means that most likely:

1) we want to protect Weber/Petry/Benn (or Emelin) and dont want to lose Beau for nothing so we'll try to flip him for a forward, a prospect or a pick. 

2) we feel like we only have 2 defensmen worth protecting so we will try to move him to a team who has a great top 4 and knows they will lose at least one (Nashville?) and therefore upgrade our third protect dman. Obviously this would require adding something to sweeten the deal.

Most feel like if Beau is getting moved, it will happen before saturday so we might find out sooner rather than later. 

Meanwhile, several sources (including Darren Dreger) say they've heard no rumblings that Galchenyuk is being shopped. This is great news if true but of course doesnt mean a lot as MB likes to keep things quiet sometimes. 

I would move Beaulieu for a solid C: Beaulieu and a 2nd for Tyler Johnson... something like that

I would move Galchenyuk for a top C. Originally I wanted to move him for any C but he's just too valuable even as a winger. We really need to fix the middle though, at the bare minimum even a second line C would give us hope

According to a couple of sources including Eric Engels Radulov & MB are talking contract.  The rumor is 4-5 years at roughly $6m per.   I could probably live with that (i think the last couple of years will hurt but as discussed ad nauseam, our window is right now, its time to poop or get off the pot).  

Obviously it would be nicer to have a handshake deal in place & then sign him after the ED but if MB is at all worried Radu may be enticed by LV then I get why he may want to get the deal done before saturday.  

13 minutes ago, maas_art said:

According to a couple of sources including Eric Engels Radulov & MB are talking contract.  The rumor is 4-5 years at roughly $6m per.   I could probably live with that (i think the last couple of years will hurt but as discussed ad nauseam, our window is right now, its time to poop or get off the pot).  

Obviously it would be nicer to have a handshake deal in place & then sign him after the ED but if MB is at all worried Radu may be enticed by LV then I get why he may want to get the deal done before saturday.  

Apparently both Rad and Markov have agreed to contracts, but are probably waiting until after the draft to complete. http://www.gohabsgo.com/2017/06/14/according-to-a-919fm-radio-host-bergevin-already-h/

7 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

http://www.tsn.ca/off-season-watch-all-quiet-on-galchenyuk-1.778679

and

Rod Francis @InRodWeTrustMTL 18h18 hours ago

• Copy link to Tweet
  • Embed Tweet

McGuire says hes heard Galchenyuk's name in rumours around the league, including possible 27+1st rnd pick for player X "would be brutal deal

if player x is tavares I'd be happy! I just worry we're going after Duchene and I just don't think Duchene is better than Galchenyuk.