The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

18 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

1. I'm ok with trading Beaulieu but in that case, you're not doing it to get a D man back, otherwise you're in exactly the same situation of losing Benn for nothing. You deal Beaulieu to get a forward or to package him with another asset for a better player. But in those cases, again, most teams don't want to take on extra players and especially extra D men before the ED. So in reality, we're probably going to have to decide between Beaulieu and Benn before the ED, and if we keep Beaulieu and lose Benn, it doesn't really leave us in a position to trade Beaulieu for a forward. So it's tricky.

2. There's a lot of smoke out there about TB shopping Drouin, and from reasonably reliable reporters. I think TB likes Drouin's talent, but I also believe Yzerman soured on him after his little holdout. I don't think he wants to build around him. I don't think he wants to just give him away, but I don't think he's viewed as a key piece there. In many ways, perhaps similar to Galchenyuk's situation here where management clearly doesn't value him as much as his talent says he should be valued. I'm reasonably certain we're going to get fleeced in any Galchenyuk trade, and I'm also wondering whether someone might fleece Tampa for Drouin. Not ideal for Yzerman to deal him within the division but Bergevin and Yzerman have traded together before, so it's possible. I think a deal with TB would be tricky for us because as I said, they can't take on salary and they don't want picks/prospects to re-build.

So there you go... TB does trade Drouin and does make the deal with us. I'm guessing they feel Sergachev is ready enough to step in next year. He certainly doesn't hurt their cap situation and he fits their desire to get a top 4 D man for Drouin.

48 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

So there you go... TB does trade Drouin and does make the deal with us. I'm guessing they feel Sergachev is ready enough to step in next year. He certainly doesn't hurt their cap situation and he fits their desire to get a top 4 D man for Drouin.

So hs ready to step in for Tampa and be a top 4 but not Montreal ??

I think MOntreal need to get younger on D and more mobile now we get another winger with no Centre to play with

2 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

So hs ready to step in for Tampa and be a top 4 but not Montreal ??

I think MOntreal need to get younger on D and more mobile now we get another winger with no Centre to play with

Yup....but now the cupboard is bare and will be bare for the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

reports out of Buffalo that new coach Phil Housley may bring Sylvain Lefebvre on board with him... please please please take Lefebvre away from us.

But then who would MB get to replace him? 

5 hours ago, Windoe said:

Would you do Pacioretty + Galchenyuk for Tavares?

Drouin-Tavares-Radulov...

No. I've outlined how Pacioretty's production is not that far off from Tavares'... you can't give up Pacman AND AG for one guy like that.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

No. I've outlined how Pacioretty's production is not that far off from Tavares'... you can't give up Pacman AND AG for one guy like that.

Agreed.  I also think that if you're getting Tavares you need to give him a finisher like Pacioretty.   Drouin's greatest skill is playmaking and even Radu (if we resign him which is still up in the air) tends to pass first.   

I know there's the "hometown boy" thing about Pacioretty to the Isle but honestly if there's a deal to be made, I am pretty positive they want Galchenyuk as the centre piece and, like you, i wouldnt give both Patches & AG for Tavares. 

35 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Agreed.  I also think that if you're getting Tavares you need to give him a finisher like Pacioretty.   Drouin's greatest skill is playmaking and even Radu (if we resign him which is still up in the air) tends to pass first.   

I know there's the "hometown boy" thing about Pacioretty to the Isle but honestly if there's a deal to be made, I am pretty positive they want Galchenyuk as the centre piece and, like you, i wouldnt give both Patches & AG for Tavares. 

With the addition of Drouin , I actually hope we give Chucky another shot at center. Danault isn't a bad #2 that can play #1 to start. Pleks is still good defensively. Tell Chucky now that we are giving him another shot study tape of guys like Toews/Bergeron for face offs and defensive play. If he still didn't work out at center maybe Mac will develop enough. CJ may have to give his line more offensive draws and shelter a little to start. Having Chucky and Drouin now work on signing Rad and we have two pp units that can hurt and two actual top lines. In this case Pleks actually can be useful as a 3rd line center. It would now have to be a great player coming back and I'm not giving up Chucky +++ to get there. Think of OT with Chucky & Drouin together 3 on 3!

Just now, CaptWelly said:

With the addition of Drouin , I actually hope we give Chucky another shot at center. Danault isn't a bad #2 that can play #1 to start. Pleks is still good defensively. Tell Chucky now that we are giving him another shot study tape of guys like Toews/Bergeron for face offs and defensive play. If he still didn't work out at center maybe Mac will develop enough. CJ may have to give his line more offensive draws and shelter a little to start. Having Chucky and Drouin now work on signing Rad and we have two pp units that can hurt and two actual top lines. In this case Pleks actually can be useful as a 3rd line center. It would now have to be a great player coming back and I'm not giving up Chucky +++ to get there. Think of OT with Chucky & Drouin together 3 on 3!

Lets put it this way: if we started the year now (assuming we could resign Radulov) I think our forwards are in way better shape than last year.  Part of that comes from adding guys like Drouin, seeing what Radu, Lehkonen and Danault can do and also losing guys like DD and of course MT.

On the back end, we're worse.  Weber and Petry are known commodities.  Markov had a great rebound year but he's still like 145 years old.  Beau looks to have slipped right off the depth charts.  Benn was a nice surprise/addition but lets face it, hes a #4-5 dman.  We've still got a glaring hole for someone to play next to weber.   Find that guy the rest of the defense looks great (Markov slides back, Emelin slides back, etc etc - its trickle down) but until we can fix that hole Im very concerned about our defense.

Like you though, if we cant add a quality player to our forward group without losing someone important, im ok with starting the year with what we have.  For example, if we could get Duchene for Beau + Pick(s), im ok with that.  If we have to flip AG for Duchene, im not interested, id rather stick with what we've got.  There's also a potential #2 waiting in the minors in Hudon - and of course we could always move Drouin back to centre where he used to play. 

one of the rumors floating out there is that we're in talks with Minnesota about either Brodin or Dumba.  I doubt the latter (he's a right handed shot) but Brodin would be quite an intriguing option next to Weber.   The problem is that it would likely mean Galchenyuk going the other way to do so and if all we're doing is adding drouin and subtracting galchenyuk, our forward group didnt get any better. 

will be interesting to see if (and how) this pans out.   If we could get Brodin without losing AG, Patches or Drouin id be quite interested.  

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

one of the rumors floating out there is that we're in talks with Minnesota about either Brodin or Dumba.  I doubt the latter (he's a right handed shot) but Brodin would be quite an intriguing option next to Weber.   The problem is that it would likely mean Galchenyuk going the other way to do so and if all we're doing is adding drouin and subtracting galchenyuk, our forward group didnt get any better. 

will be interesting to see if (and how) this pans out.   If we could get Brodin without losing AG, Patches or Drouin id be quite interested.  

Brodin could be a good add, but (and I say this with the bias of being a Habs fan) I wouldn't do Brodin for Galchenyuk straight up. If they were to do something like Brodin + Neiderreiter for Galchenyuk + Beaulieu for example, I'd have more interest.

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

According to LeBrun from TSN, we have interest in Phaneuf. Really???

I thought it was more that we were on the list of 12 teams Phaneuf would accept a trade to. Ott is shopping him so that they can protect Methot instead, but doesn't mean we'd take him. We can't afford his contract anyways, so Ott would have to eat half the deal to make it work.

For me, if we trade Chucky, then it has to be for a C. Chucky is currently the best chance at #1 C and while I've all but given up on him being capable of doing it... he's still the most likely on our current roster

An LD and a C and we could legitimately contend but on defense... maybe Beaulieu stay and surprises us... there that russian we signed... who knows! It seems like there is at least hope to find a good young puck moving LD... there is no hope at C, its basically Chucky so I wouldn't want him to be traded for D unless we get a C somewhere else

29 minutes ago, habsisme said:

For me, if we trade Chucky, then it has to be for a C. Chucky is currently the best chance at #1 C and while I've all but given up on him being capable of doing it... he's still the most likely on our current roster

An LD and a C and we could legitimately contend but on defense... maybe Beaulieu stay and surprises us... there that russian we signed... who knows! It seems like there is at least hope to find a good young puck moving LD... there is no hope at C, its basically Chucky so I wouldn't want him to be traded for D unless we get a C somewhere else

MB still needs to find ways to find a 1st-pairing left-handed D man who can skate and move the puck, as well as two guys to play center in his top 6. I can buy one of Galchenyuk or Drouin playing center, but it would be tough to have both guys there and try to match lines and zone starts for both your top trios. Either way, that's a couple of big holes.

So what do we have to give? We could give up Chucky, but then we have another hole. Same thing if we give up Pacman. Unless you're getting the best player in the deal (i.e. dealing for Tavares or MacKinnon for example), would be hard to justify. So one option would be to deal picks and prospects, but how many squads are willing to trade away established top 6 players for prospects before a new season? Not many. Would Colorado accept a package built around McCarron, for example, in return for Duchene? Another option would be to deal Gallagher... sure, he's a good player, but if you can deal BG and sign Radulov, it's not the end of the world to line up Radulov-Lehkonen-Shaw down the right side. Otherwise, I still think dealing Shea Weber could and should be an option, just because I believe he could be a guy who brings back multiple parts... in other words, you get a younger defenceman plus a top 6 center or a good D man plus a young forward. It's a way to add two parts for one.

Reports out of Russian media (none of it overly surprising) that Radulov's preference was to come back to Montreal but that he wants a deal for 4 years or more. This is somewhat consistent with what MB has been saying, that term is the big hold up in signing Radulov. Personally, I'd give Radulov 4 years if that'll get it done at a reasonable AAV. I wouldn't do more than that.

Reports also indicating that Kovalchuk has committed to moving to North America and returning to NHL. They said he may have some interest in going wherever Radulov goes if it's in the Northeast, but that Montreal is not a likely destination for Kovalchuk. FWIW. Doesn't look like we'll end up with either guy (unless this is all a backstory on Radulov so that MB can just sign him after the ED).

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Reports out of Russian media (none of it overly surprising) that Radulov's preference was to come back to Montreal but that he wants a deal for 4 years or more. This is somewhat consistent with what MB has been saying, that term is the big hold up in signing Radulov. Personally, I'd give Radulov 4 years if that'll get it done at a reasonable AAV. I wouldn't do more than that.

Reports also indicating that Kovalchuk has committed to moving to North America and returning to NHL. They said he may have some interest in going wherever Radulov goes if it's in the Northeast, but that Montreal is not a likely destination for Kovalchuk. FWIW. Doesn't look like we'll end up with either guy (unless this is all a backstory on Radulov so that MB can just sign him after the ED).

I would sign him for 6 years at this point. At the end of the term we will be in rebuild mode anyway. I really don't understand MB if he made these moves and then loses radulov

10 hours ago, habsisme said:

I would sign him for 6 years at this point. At the end of the term we will be in rebuild mode anyway. I really don't understand MB if he made these moves and then loses radulov

I'm not convinced he really wants to sign with the Habs... and if its just because he wants a big payday I say he is not worth it.