The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

23 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Ferraro: I would trade Galchenyuk for Brodin

Ray Ferraro joins Melnick in the Afternoon to discuss the Habs' off-season plan, the NHL Expansion Draft & more.

Ferraro also said he thought Josi was better than Subban. I like Ferraro, I actually do. I think a lot of his analysis is pretty spot-on. But he obviously doesn't like guys who are too fancy and play with the puck, so I don't think this statement says much about true worth. Brodin is a good player but he's a #3 defenceman, whereas Galchenyuk is by all statistical measures, a 1st-line offensive player. You don't make that swap.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Ferraro also said he thought Josi was better than Subban. I like Ferraro, I actually do. I think a lot of his analysis is pretty spot-on. But he obviously doesn't like guys who are too fancy and play with the puck, so I don't think this statement says much about true worth. Brodin is a good player but he's a #3 defenceman, whereas Galchenyuk is by all statistical measures, a 1st-line offensive player. You don't make that swap.

But would you do Brodin + Granlun ? ;) 

4 minutes ago, maas_art said:

But would you do Brodin + Granlun ? ;) 

Yes, but I think Granlund is pretty close to being as good as Galchenyuk. I don't think he has quite the level of puck skill but he scored 26 goals last year, so he's definitely capable of putting up offence. He is a tad older than Galchenyuk but still young enough that I don't think that's too much of a downgrade. So for us to get Granlund and Brodin would be a pretty good haul. I doubt Minny makes that deal.

Just now, BigTed3 said:

Yes, but I think Granlund is pretty close to being as good as Galchenyuk. I don't think he has quite the level of puck skill but he scored 26 goals last year, so he's definitely capable of putting up offence. He is a tad older than Galchenyuk but still young enough that I don't think that's too much of a downgrade. So for us to get Granlund and Brodin would be a pretty good haul. I doubt Minny makes that deal.

Granlund I might consider straight up, even adding something! I doubt Granlund is going anywhere, he's their most valuable player

If they dont sign radulov, I think Chucky is safe. Almost makes me wish we dont sign him. Speaking of which, what kind of term is he looking for? Its starting to concern me... like maybe when he gets his contract, he's going to start mailing it in

http://www.nhltraderumors.me/2017/06/nhl-trade-rumors-alex-galchenyuk-to-new-york-islanders.html

Trade rumors surround Montreal Canadiens forward Alex Galchenyuk. Several teams have expressed interest, including the New York Islanders.

According to sources, the Islanders are offering defenseman Nick Leddy, and twenty-year-old forward Anthony Beauvillier to the Canadiens in exchange for Galchenyuk. This seems like a fair trade, which would benefit both teams.

3 minutes ago, manquant said:

http://www.nhltraderumors.me/2017/06/nhl-trade-rumors-alex-galchenyuk-to-new-york-islanders.html

Trade rumors surround Montreal Canadiens forward Alex Galchenyuk. Several teams have expressed interest, including the New York Islanders.

According to sources, the Islanders are offering defenseman Nick Leddy, and twenty-year-old forward Anthony Beauvillier to the Canadiens in exchange for Galchenyuk. This seems like a fair trade, which would benefit both teams.

I saw this rumor a little while ago. If we kept Radulov, I wouldn't HATE it but... I still don't like it. I'd want AT LEAST another piece 

4 minutes ago, manquant said:

Still hate to lose Chuckie. 

1 hour ago, manquant said:

Dont love it but its the best ive heard so far.

Ideally id try for:

Leddy / Beauvillier / Pulock     (Pulock isnt as blue chip as sergachev but at least it gives us one more potential top 4 dman in our system. we refill the cupboards).

for 

AK + 2nd round pick

How good is Shea Theodore? Ive heard a bunch of rumors swirling that LV might trade him and that we might be interested.  Sounds like an upgrade on Beaulieu but i havent seen him play much.

If he was good enough to play top pairing minutes (young, mobile left handed D) then you could put him and weber together and have the "Touché" line ;)

9 minutes ago, maas_art said:

How good is Shea Theodore? Ive heard a bunch of rumors swirling that LV might trade him and that we might be interested.  Sounds like an upgrade on Beaulieu but i havent seen him play much.

If he was good enough to play top pairing minutes (young, mobile left handed D) then you could put him and weber together and have the "Touché" line ;)

Just from looking at his stats he seemed to take a step back last year but I'd like a move like this instead of trading Chucky for leddy or something like that

Ive seen a couple of sites talking the following trade:

Alex Galchenyuk 

for

Jonas Brodin  and Joel Eriksson Ek  + ___________

its an interesting deal in that Brodin may be the missing LD we need (although there's no guarantee he's a first pairing guy, so far he's only proven he's a top 4) and Eriksson-Ek has the potential to be a Mikko Koivu type centre.  There's a supreme risk here of course.   We're giving up a player many of us feel is a bonefide 1st line player with elite vision and skills.  We'd be acquiring a guy who might be a top pairing dman... but he might be a #4 and a guy who might be a #1-2 centre...but be might be a 3rd liner. 

Too much risk (unless that _________ is something very special) but intriguing. 

38 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Eberle trade for Strome... interesting. I guess Galchenyuk is not being moved there

The bigger implication for me is that Tavares will probably stay.  Eberle-Tavares have played together internationally & I suspect the NYI targeted him in part because of their relationship.  They are clearly trying to do whatever they can to keep JT in NY. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

The bigger implication for me is that Tavares will probably stay.  Eberle-Tavares have played together internationally & I suspect the NYI targeted him in part because of their relationship.  They are clearly trying to do whatever they can to keep JT in NY. 

Maybe they're just covering their butts in case Tavares leaves.

Lebrun reporting that Radulov asking for 6 years at 7M per season. MB saying his contract demands haven't really changed, so looks like he will hit open market and likely be gone... Habs can't tie up that much term AND salary in Radulov.

35 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Lebrun reporting that Radulov asking for 6 years at 7M per season. MB saying his contract demands haven't really changed, so looks like he will hit open market and likely be gone... Habs can't tie up that much term AND salary in Radulov.

Yikes.  That is a lot.

Id do up to $7m for 3 years or less.   Once you're over 3 years you'd have to go lower on the $$.  With those numbers Radu is implying he is worth what, $9m a year for 3 years? (since those would be his prime playing years in the deal)

56 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I would let him walk then. I'd 6 for 6, I'd be pushing for 5.5 since its a long term deal. 

20 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yikes.  That is a lot.

Id do up to $7m for 3 years or less.   Once you're over 3 years you'd have to go lower on the $$.  With those numbers Radu is implying he is worth what, $9m a year for 3 years? (since those would be his prime playing years in the deal)

yeah for 7 million I wouldn't go beyond 3. But I'd rather do 6 for 6 than 3 for 7

I'm curious who will be after him and be willing to make a long term deal like that. I don't know if someone will pay him that... he may still be back

4 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I'm curious who will be after him and be willing to make a long term deal like that. I don't know if someone will pay him that... he may still be back

Someone will.  Thats the problem with today's NHL.  There's always some GM out there that thinks adding one high priced player will make all teh difference.

And to be honest, in Radu's case it might.  Not to the winning percentage but to a small market team that is looking to attract new fans?  Radu would be the perfect poster boy from a marketing standpoint.  They'd easily make back their $$ in marketing i think. 

4 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I would let him walk then. I'd 6 for 6, I'd be pushing for 5.5 since its a long term deal. 

yeah for 7 million I wouldn't go beyond 3. But I'd rather do 6 for 6 than 3 for 7

If Rad wants that much for that long(he may have a hard time finding it) I say keep Chucky and go after Joe Thorton for a 1 year at 5 Million. Not fast anymore but consistent point per year and a great set up man. His passing to Chucky Drioun Weber on the PP! During the year you let AG & Druion become a center or centers.

Apparently we're in talks with NJ and FL about Galchenyuk.  

I would assume any deal with the Panthers would include Ekblad.  They would have to include a high quality forward too though, not sure who that would be.

The Devils are a tougher fit because even though Severson is intriguing, he's  far from a sure thing and i think he's a right D.  John Moore is also an interesting option but id want a top 6 forward and a top prospect to go along with either of them. 

Id still rather retain AG unless we're somehow getting one of the top LD in the league to be honest. 

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I would assume any deal with the Panthers would include Ekblad.  They would have to include a high quality forward too though, not sure who that would be.

The Devils are a tougher fit because even though Severson is intriguing, he's  far from a sure thing and i think he's a right D.  John Moore is also an interesting option but id want a top 6 forward and a top prospect to go along with either of them. 

Id still rather retain AG unless we're somehow getting one of the top LD in the league to be honest. 

could we not get the 1st overall in a deal with NJ? Or is that a big step backwards? Then sign a UFA Dman or obtain a lesser one with other assets

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

AG to NJ for Kovalchuk?

24 minutes ago, booboo_mtl said:

could we not get the 1st overall in a deal with NJ? Or is that a big step backwards? Then sign a UFA Dman or obtain a lesser one with other assets

I guess the question is:  how ready are either Nolan Patrick or Nico Hischier?   If Timmins & co feel like they are ready to step into a top 2 centre role NOW then you make the deal.  You could possibly flip Galchenyuk (a proven NHLer with 300+ games and 200+ points. He's a bonefide top 6 forward and possibly an elite 1st line player who is only 23 years old) for a #1 pick and (maybe) a defenseman too.  

Galchenyuk + our 1st rounder

for

Moore + their 1st rounder

Of course the question would be: why wouldnt they just draft Patrick or Hischier themselves? and I cant answer that. There are reasons why a team might be leary of an unproven player & prefer a still very young, established player. 

^^ reports are that at least 15 teams have contacted us to inquire about Galchenyuk, including Fla, NJ, Pit, NYI, NYR, Min, Dal, and more. Tells you about how good the kid really is.

In any case, from Florida, I would be asking for Huberdeau or Barkov in a 1-for-1 deal. From NJ, I would be asking for the #1 overall plus the rights to Kovalchuk.