The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 The Rumors Thread

BigTed3

2 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Kovalchuk is 34 yrs old . Time to move on  with some fresh young legs

True, but the Habs are looking to win in the next year or two and Kovalchuk could help with scoring for a couple years. We'll be in rebuild mode after that and will likely trade players away for picks.

13 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Kovalchuk is 34 yrs old . Time to move on  with some fresh young legs

I believe he can still play. We need goals, and this is a guy whom we might be able to acquire without giving up much in a trade. I also think he'd accept a short-term deal. FWIW, I believe MB will go after Marleau or Thornton (in that order) if they aren't signed before July 1st. Older guys as well, but with our core, that's ok. We get guys who can help us now without giving up future assets.

26 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

^^ reports are that at least 15 teams have contacted us to inquire about Galchenyuk, including Fla, NJ, Pit, NYI, NYR, Min, Dal, and more. Tells you about how good the kid really is.

In any case, from Florida, I would be asking for Huberdeau or Barkov in a 1-for-1 deal. From NJ, I would be asking for the #1 overall plus the rights to Kovalchuk.

Id be really interested in 1st OVA + a defenseman.  As i said in my proposal above, if you sweetened it with our 1st round pick I think you could get a good young mobile defenseman from NJ and actually fill 2 holes (assuming Partrick or Hishier are ready to play next year).

6 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I believe he can still play. We need goals, and this is a guy whom we might be able to acquire without giving up much in a trade. I also think he'd accept a short-term deal. FWIW, I believe MB will go after Marleau or Thornton (in that order) if they aren't signed before July 1st. Older guys as well, but with our core, that's ok. We get guys who can help us now without giving up future assets.

I actually would also be fine with Kovalchuk, Marleau or Thornton in our top 6.  With Julien at the helm i am far less worried about MB signing vets than I would be if Therrien was still here. I think CJ would use vets effectively but not be over reliant on them over the course of a whole season. 

35 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Id be really interested in 1st OVA + a defenseman.  As i said in my proposal above, if you sweetened it with our 1st round pick I think you could get a good young mobile defenseman from NJ and actually fill 2 holes (assuming Partrick or Hishier are ready to play next year).

I actually would also be fine with Kovalchuk, Marleau or Thornton in our top 6.  With Julien at the helm i am far less worried about MB signing vets than I would be if Therrien was still here. I think CJ would use vets effectively but not be over reliant on them over the course of a whole season. 

These are also vets still playing at a high level. No, they're not stars like they used to be, but they're instantly better than any center we have on our team, or in Kovy's case, easily a top 6 winger. So if they're played in the top 6, that's fine. It's not like acquiring journeymen like King, Bouillon, Murray, Moen, or so on and then seeing grinders used in prominent roles.

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Apparently we're in talks with NJ and FL about Galchenyuk.  

I would assume any deal with the Panthers would include Ekblad.  They would have to include a high quality forward too though, not sure who that would be.

The Devils are a tougher fit because even though Severson is intriguing, he's  far from a sure thing and i think he's a right D.  John Moore is also an interesting option but id want a top 6 forward and a top prospect to go along with either of them. 

Id still rather retain AG unless we're somehow getting one of the top LD in the league to be honest. 

For Kovalchuk!!:ph34r:

3 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I noticed in a video on TSN.ca the "Insiders" were saying NJ is interested in Galchenyuk. Who would NJ even have that could be worth dealing away Alex for?

#1 overall

Rights to Kovalchuk

Not really much else on their current roster and if prospects aren't NHL-ready, they don't help us much...

8 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I noticed in a video on TSN.ca the "Insiders" were saying NJ is interested in Galchenyuk. Who would NJ even have that could be worth dealing away Alex for?

5 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

#1 overall

Rights to Kovalchuk

Not really much else on their current roster and if prospects aren't NHL-ready, they don't help us much...

Something that MB could offer to another party in a three way deal?

7 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

#1 overall

Rights to Kovalchuk

Do you believe we could acquire both of those things in a deal? Seems reasonable to me. Although... I don't really know much about the player projected to go no. 1 overall in the draft.

4 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Do you believe we could acquire both of those things in a deal? Seems reasonable to me. Although... I don't really know much about the player projected to go no. 1 overall in the draft.

I don't think so... but I also don't know why they'd want Chucky, makes little sense to me

I'd also be interested in Severson but he shoots right and Henrique maybe

Canes are reportedly offering Noah Hanifin in exchange for a 1st line forward... Hanifin is a big left-handed D man with offensive upside and a former top 5 choice, who is still only 20. Would be a great add... Would I give them Galchenyuk? I'd probably ask for something else. Would I give them Gallagher and something else to get him? Yes, if Carolina would bite on that... he's definitely interesting.

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Canes are reportedly offering Noah Hanifin in exchange for a 1st line forward... Hanifin is a big left-handed D man with offensive upside and a former top 5 choice, who is still only 20. Would be a great add... Would I give them Galchenyuk? I'd probably ask for something else. Would I give them Gallagher and something else to get him? Yes, if Carolina would bite on that... he's definitely interesting.

Hannifin or Slavin and Lindholm... I would make that trade. It checks too many boxes to ignore