The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 If I Were GM...

BigTed3

19 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

But does it matter? If Galchenyuk is winning 47% of his draws but the team gets 53% of the shot attempts while he's on the ice, isn't that still better than having a guy like Ott, who wins 55% of his draws but where the team only gets 40% of the shot attempts while he's on the ice? Maybe face-off wins help give you a jump-start at possession, but you actually have to do something with the puck when you get it. If Plekanec wins a draw in our own zone and our D man just takes the puck and clears it up the boards onto the sticks of the other team, then it's not that different than losing the draw in the first place. Players who help you should in theory be the guys who get the puck and then can perform controlled zone exits and entries and make plays that lead to attempts on the opposition's goal. Galchenyuk does those things. His value is higher than that of someone who wins 5% more draws but can't do much with the puck.

I was talking FO% in isolation ... if both players generate 53% more shot attempts, then yes ... I'd like the guy who wins more FO

5 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

I was talking FO% in isolation ... if both players generate 53% more shot attempts, then yes ... I'd like the guy who wins more FO

But I guess that's my question/point: if two players both end up with 53% shot attempts, does it matter how they got there? Let's use an extreme example and say Player A wins 100% of his faceoffs and Player B wins 0%. But both players end up with 60% of the shot attempts while they're on the ice and 60% of the scoring chances and 60% of the goals. Sure, Player A is starting with the puck, but if he's generating the same number of shot attempts/scoring chances as the guy who never starts with the puck, then something else is happening along the way. Player A would have to be losing the puck more often or making less of his chances. Maybe he's turning it over more. Maybe he has the puck but then just dumps it into the other team's zone without creating an offensive chance. Maybe Player B is a better forechecker and gets the puck back from the other team by forcing turnovers more often. Regardless, at the end of the day, Player A and Player B both have the same number of chances at producing offence for your team.

So yes, in isolation, I'd rather win the face-offs then not win the face-offs. And some face-offs are more important than others. But you can use Corsi/ scoring chance % for to measure what the player DOES with the face-off wins. Corsi doesn't tell you whether the player started the shift with a face-off win and it doesn't tell you how they got the puck, but it does tell you what they did with it, and to me, that's more important than face-offs as a pure stat. Face-offs and starting with the puck is just one small part of puck possession and one small part of what players do with the puck.

On 4/28/2017 at 11:17 PM, BigTed3 said:

This.

I couldn't care if Duchene's winning more draws. The question is whether that leads to more shots/scoring chances/goals for or not. In this case, it doesn't. Despite the fact that Duchene starts with the puck more then, his team is getting shot at more than the Habs are with Galchenyuk on the ice.

A face off is a  single event and easily measured. Hands down Deuchene has proven he is better at the draw and would indicate his team starts with the puck more then it doesn't.

Now when you comparing shot attempts when Galchenyk is on the ice compared to Deuchene you would need to filter out much of the static

Galchenyk gets offensive zone starts 43.97 % of the time compared to Deuchene 29.54% of the time. I am sure if those numbers were reversed shot attemtps would move way up for Deuchene and move down dramatically for Galchenyk

You can also add that Deuchene starts in the defensive zone 39.19% of the time compared to 22.27% for Galchenyk again if this was equal that would also drive those numbers in the other direction. 

Even after all this the puck ends up in the offensive zone more with Duchene on the ice then when Galchenyk is on the ice.  Which is quite amazing when you consider at which end both of these players are starting from :)

Galchenyk is insulated  so much it is affecting the team. I want a centerman who can play both ends of the ice. playing for a better coach, system and teamates would likely drive Deuchenes offensive numbers. With Pleks Deuchene would not need to start almost 40% of the time in the defensive zone , but could be relied on if needed:) 

^^ And the zone starts is a fair point, one which I absolutely agree with. Galchenyuk is definitely sheltered, but at least he's doing something with his zone starts. If you look at the two players' aggregate data over the past 4 years, Galchenyuk has a Corsi of 50.63% while Duchene sits at 46.60%. Scoring chances are also around the same thing, with Galchenyuk at 50.46% and Duchene at 46.22%. Their PDO's are essentially identical, meaning neither player got more or less lucky in terms of a high shooting percentage or low save percentage. Over that time, Duchene has had a 49.2% O-zone to D zone start rate, while Galchenyuk is at 59.4%.

That said, we are a team that desperately needs offence. We have players like Plekanec and Danault and Mitchell who can take D-zone face-offs. What we're lacking is a player who can contribute offensively. So while your point about zone starts is absolutely valid, we know Galchenyuk is a proven entity is terms of producing positive possession and scoring chance output. I just don't see a reason to trade the younger player for an older guy (who hits UFA status sooner as well) to take on a two-way role when we need scoring.

17 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

^^ And the zone starts is a fair point, one which I absolutely agree with. Galchenyuk is definitely sheltered, but at least he's doing something with his zone starts. If you look at the two players' aggregate data over the past 4 years, Galchenyuk has a Corsi of 50.63% while Duchene sits at 46.60%. Scoring chances are also around the same thing, with Galchenyuk at 50.46% and Duchene at 46.22%. Their PDO's are essentially identical, meaning neither player got more or less lucky in terms of a high shooting percentage or low save percentage. Over that time, Duchene has had a 49.2% O-zone to D zone start rate, while Galchenyuk is at 59.4%.

That said, we are a team that desperately needs offence. We have players like Plekanec and Danault and Mitchell who can take D-zone face-offs. What we're lacking is a player who can contribute offensively. So while your point about zone starts is absolutely valid, we know Galchenyuk is a proven entity is terms of producing positive possession and scoring chance output. I just don't see a reason to trade the younger player for an older guy (who hits UFA status sooner as well) to take on a two-way role when we need scoring.

What if we approached Vancouver and made this offer:

To VAN:  Thomas Plekanec, Alexei Emelin, WSH 2nd 2018, CHI 2nd 2018

To MTL: Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin

It would add to our scoring depth and give the twins (And potentially us) a shot at the cup.  We can walk away from their collective 14-mil cap hit at the end of this season.  Their would be a total of 3 no movement clauses that would have to be waived in order for that to work though.

I know there's talk surrounding Tavares, but I just don't see a deal that could work.  Unless you're willing to do:

To MTL: John Tavares, Nick Leddy

To NYI: Max Pacioretty, Alex Galchenyuk, Nathan Beaulieu, 1st, 2017, 1st, 2018

21 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Deuchene may be older but were not talking Subban,  Weber here. Duchene is only 26 years old.  I dont want Deuchene for a two way role. Not now maybe when he hits 30 in 4 years time I may. We need a centerman coming into his prime who can put up 20 plus goals, good on the draws, and can play all zones on the shift and does not need to be insulated. Deuchene is available. I think he would be a huge upgrade down the middle. You can play him 18 plus minutes because you know he can play in all zones. I believe if Deuchene was getting  35 to 40 % OZ starts he would be scoring 25 to 35 goals. Specially playing with a players like Patches or Radulaov if he was resigned. Deuchene offensive side is underrated.

Again even after all the DZ starts compared to OZ starts. Deuchene ends up in the offensive zone more often then Galchenyk on a far less superior team with lefebre type coaching at the NHL level. 

I would also try to move Weber for a young up and coming deeman who can actually skate the puck out of the zone. Can we get Trouba for say Weber and a Pick

48 minutes ago, Ravadak said:

I would also try to move Weber for a young up and coming deeman who can actually skate the puck out of the zone. Can we get Trouba for say Weber and a Pick

I think a team that would trade for Weber would need to meet two criteria. First, they see the next two maybe three years as their chance at a cup and second, they have a really stupid GM.

21 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I think a team that would trade for Weber would need to meet two criteria. First, they see the next two maybe three years as their chance at a cup and second, they have a really stupid GM.

Well we have the latter pat of that but its to late we already traded for him :)

11 hours ago, Ravadak said:

Deuchene may be older but were not talking Subban,  Weber here. Duchene is only 26 years old.  I dont want Deuchene for a two way role. Not now maybe when he hits 30 in 4 years time I may. We need a centerman coming into his prime who can put up 20 plus goals, good on the draws, and can play all zones on the shift and does not need to be insulated. Deuchene is available. I think he would be a huge upgrade down the middle. You can play him 18 plus minutes because you know he can play in all zones. I believe if Deuchene was getting  35 to 40 % OZ starts he would be scoring 25 to 35 goals. Specially playing with a players like Patches or Radulaov if he was resigned. Deuchene offensive side is underrated.

Again even after all the DZ starts compared to OZ starts. Deuchene ends up in the offensive zone more often then Galchenyk on a far less superior team with lefebre type coaching at the NHL level. 

I would take Duchene over Galchenyuk in a heartbeat, straight up one on one. I'd also be shopping Plekanec, Pacioretty, Gallagher, King & Nesterov.

4 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

I would take Duchene over Galchenyuk in a heartbeat, straight up one on one. I'd also be shopping Plekanec, Pacioretty, Gallagher, King & Nesterov.

I think you would need to pay a team to take King and Nesterov off our hands.

34 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I think you would need to pay a team to take King and Nesterov off our hands.

King is UFA and Nesterov RFA I believe, so it's not really an issue as far as next season.

17 hours ago, habs1952 said:

I think you guys really underestimate the value of Shea Weber.     We'll likely never know, because I just dont see MB trading him, but honestly I am pretty sure that if you put him on the block tomorrow his value is the same, or maybe slightly higher, than last offseason. 

Around the league there is still the "man mountain" mystique and sure, maybe some GMs dont buy into it, but most do - and would trade a lot for him, I have no doubt. 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

I think you guys really underestimate the value of Shea Weber.     We'll likely never know, because I just dont see MB trading him, but honestly I am pretty sure that if you put him on the block tomorrow his value is the same, or maybe slightly higher, than last offseason. 

Around the league there is still the "man mountain" mystique and sure, maybe some GMs dont buy into it, but most do - and would trade a lot for him, I have no doubt. 

Those GMs would also have a serious look at his contract. 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

But would they have traded PK straight up or would they have made a deal that included draft picks and a player?

15 minutes ago, maas_art said:

The issue isn't so much that he has or doesn't have value around the league. I think you're probably totally right, actually.

The issue is the trading partner. Is there any team with a legitimate top 10 defenceman who's going to move him? Right now, I don't think so. So we're talking about trading Weber for an elite forward. But who has an elite forward to spare? Middling failed teams, or teams in the middle of a rebuild. Only the latter reasonably believes they can jump start a "win now" movement by adding Weber. And I don't know who that is at the moment, to be honest.

This really makes Poile look like even more of a wizard. Weber should've been untradeable; I think for all practical purposes he is, right now.

15 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Those GMs would also have a serious look at his contract. 

Again, some would - but some, not so much. Remember that the average GM tenure is 5 years. More and more GMs seem to be about "winning now" and right now, 2017 Weber still offers that mystique.  If Team Canada was picking a team tomorrow, you can bet  Man Mountain would be there and be an important part. 

13 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

But would they have traded PK straight up or would they have made a deal that included draft picks and a player?

Who knows. I would think that any sensible GM would say - even if you believe they were equal players - that because of the extra 4 years on Shea's life, PK would be worth more. I said all along that even if i agreed with the deal (which i did not) we should have at least gotten a top prospect or a high pick along with him. But we didnt. 

8 minutes ago, habs_93 said:

The issue isn't so much that he has or doesn't have value around the league. I think you're probably totally right, actually.

The issue is the trading partner. Is there any team with a legitimate top 10 defenceman who's going to move him? Right now, I don't think so. So we're talking about trading Weber for an elite forward. But who has an elite forward to spare? Middling failed teams, or teams in the middle of a rebuild. Only the latter reasonably believes they can jump start a "win now" movement by adding Weber. And I don't know who that is at the moment, to be honest.

This really makes Poile look like even more of a wizard. Weber should've been untradeable; I think for all practical purposes he is, right now.

Totally agree.  We're not getting back a player like Pk.    I personally think your best bet is a team looking for a stable vet on the blueline that has lots of young talent to spare.  originally i suggested Edmonton but if they continue to go deep they wont be looking for Weber.  If Anaheim somehow manages to come back & win, then they would be the perfect opportunity.  You could sell Shea's reputation for 'grace under pressure' and probably land a young top line forward and a top blueline prospect like Nurse or Reinhart.    We would be stuck with some cap problems if Weber retired early but id definitely look into it if Edmonton was listening.

Bergevin wont do it, im sure.  But if he doesnt survive the next few weeks (if he's still our GM come ED he's here for the year) then maybe his successor would.

I think the first thing is to look at teams that might have interest in Weber. As noted, it really needs to be a team that has a window for a Cup in the next 3-4 years. Teams like Vancouver or Phoenix, for example, likely don't benefit much from taking on Weber, although you never know how dumb a GM will be in not recognizing their team's needs. But for this exercise, let's assume opposing GM's make rational decisions about wanting Weber as a piece of the puzzle towards a playoff run. I don't think we need to assume we need a stud D man back, because we do have the option of making another big trade with any of Price, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, or Gallagher to go after a top pairing defenceman later. But I think we do need to target a slightly younger player than Weber to lengthen our Cup window, otherwise what's the point in trading him. The other team also has to have the cap space necessary to fit Weber in. So who might fit?

1. The Pens: they don't need Weber by any means, but they're a perennial Cup contender and their defence always seems to be shaken up by injuries. Plus, Crosby and Weber have a history with Team Canada just like Price and Weber. I'm sure Sid wouldn't mind pushing for management to acquire Shea. Would they be willing to discuss a deal around Malkin for Weber plus another piece? Or would they part with Maatta and/or Derrick Pouliot as part of a package?

2. The Flyers are a really intriguing team to me in this regard. We know they thought about signing him a few years back and their style of play fits with what Weber brings. I really like a few of their players: Couturier, Gostisbehere, Simmonds, Voracek, etc. Would they swap Voracek and Ghost for Weber? Would they offer Couturier, Ghost, and a 1st?

3. The Rangers: Weber is the type of established vet just past his prime that Sather loves to go after. Would they ever trade McDonagh for Weber?

4. The Sabres seem intent on skipping through their re-build as fast as possible. I'm sure they'd welcome a solidifying D man to help with that. Would they part with O'Reilly and Bogosian to get Weber or consider that as a starter with other parts involved?

5. The Oilers we have already discussed repeatedly... I'd be asking about Draisaitl or about RNH plus Nurse/Klefbom.

6. Florida... do they need to strengthen their D and could they part with someone like Barkov, Huberdeau or Bjugstad to make that happen?

7. WInnipeg... we know Trouba wants out and wants to play the right side, where we'd have an opening if we trade Weber. Trouba plus Ehlers, for example?

To me, there are options if MB is willing to move on from his big trade and not get side-tracked by the ego of having emotionally invested in Weber so heavily.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

I think the first thing is to look at teams that might have interest in Weber. As noted, it really needs to be a team that has a window for a Cup in the next 3-4 years. Teams like Vancouver or Phoenix, for example, likely don't benefit much from taking on Weber, although you never know how dumb a GM will be in not recognizing their team's needs. But for this exercise, let's assume opposing GM's make rational decisions about wanting Weber as a piece of the puzzle towards a playoff run. I don't think we need to assume we need a stud D man back, because we do have the option of making another big trade with any of Price, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, or Gallagher to go after a top pairing defenceman later. But I think we do need to target a slightly younger player than Weber to lengthen our Cup window, otherwise what's the point in trading him. The other team also has to have the cap space necessary to fit Weber in. So who might fit?

You don't think Petry has what it takes to be a #1? I'd say he was our best defenseman this year even with Weber.

I get that folks are still upset about the Subban trade but I can't see any GM trading away Webber unless they get someone they feel will slot right back into that spot. we are in a tough spot right now up front for a few reasons the first being we can ice an entire team of 4th liners! I mean come on! Pleks fell off a cliff this season for big money too! Shaw seemed to take Gallaghers spot and I think that and the injury played with his head a bit. we still have not got enough top 6 depth Dano is a good kid and a great #3 center but we need to make a decision with Galchenyuk once and for all if he is not our #1 center then we need one if he is we need a winger at the very least. for the moment goaltending is great D is ok not great but not a big liability compared to our forward offensive shortcomings. one or two power play goals would have made a huge difference in the series against the Rags. all this depends on Rads staying of course, if he does not we are done like dinner as we will need a couple of wingers and probably a center. I don't know what all his advisors are telling MB about the team but they sure seem adverse to scoring! and last point does anyone else find it odd that our PP died with the arrival of CJ?

5 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

I get that folks are still upset about the Subban trade but I can't see any GM trading away Webber unless they get someone they feel will slot right back into that spot. 

The problem is, there are only a handful of defensmen who would fit that bill (and be better than Weber).  Its not that Weber is bad right now - he's still a great player and will continue to be for at least a couple more years most likely.  The problem is that you will begin to see diminishing value on a player like him.  Short of him winning a Norris next year or something, i suspect right now, 2017 summer he's at his absolutely highest value.  So if you are thinking of moving him, you do it now.  

Since we're not going to get Karlsson, Subban or Doughty type players in return, the next logical move would be to try to turn him into either an elite #1 centre (another area we sorely lack) or, 2 players (#1 centre and high end defensman).  So the other team might end up with "the better player" for next year but hopefully as Weber ages, the trade evens out for us.

Look, i dont think its going to happen. I cant see MB making any sort of move of Weber - if a new GM came in, he might - BUT, its an interesting thing to discuss.  As you said, the trade sucked, but maybe we can turn that (ultimately, the return on PK) into something a little better for us going forward. 

There are really only two options right now...

You either think that you can resign Price to a friendly contract extension about 8M, and you try to find ways to improve this club or this is the time you blow it all up and try the rebuilding route. Obviously MB isn't in a position to blow it up, because he already has 5 years under his belt, and i dont think fans would have the needed support a 3 to 4 years rebuild, requires. MB would be long gone before any St.Cathrines parade, in this situation. So we should probably expect, the same players back, with a twinkering or two to be made. After the Webber/Subban trade i would be very suprised to see MB pulling a major deal either. The only major trade i could see is the Duchene for Sergachev + 2017 1st pick, but this would take MB to admit he made a mistake not doing this earlier. Thats why my propositions in this topic will include the retooling process and not the rebuilding, albeit the likes of Price, Weber and Pacioretty would fetch a great return and great options down the road, draft wise.

So, what do we really have in the lineup...

PRICE. A top goaltender in the league, a block you build around, but in a cap world and with so much cash going to defenders you cant afford him if his salary is well above 8M. Begin negotiations now and offer 64M for 8 years. I think being one of the top paid goalie in the league is a starter but you cant go above 8,5M. Its a recipe for disaster because we can not afford a decent supporting cast for him. {1st G}

MONTOYA. A decent backup but we must expose him, for Vegas to bite, plus i'm quite comfident with giving Lindgren a shot in his place.

PACIORETTY. Can you seriously trade away a 30 goal scorer, in an offense starved team? No, no and no. A lot of goals for a great contract.What you do is finding someone to play with him. Definitely...{1st line LW}  

RADULOV. Very impressive player...I suspect he might be a loyal guy too...Begin negotiations asap...In his exit interview i had the feeling he wants to resign, albeit his agents comments for testing free agency. Offer 5,75M for 6 years now. i expect him to be a bull even at the age of 37...A lock {1st line RW}.

GALCHENUYK. Is he a winger or a center? Who cares...The fact is he is talented...If he is a LW then i believe he can deliver and we could have the best LW lineup in the league, with Max, Arturri and Byron. If he is a center, we can only benefit from the depth. Either way he is an asset. The best thing that happened was that now MB can probably negotiate a contract extension, bridge deal, perform to get paid, maybe 3,75M for 2 years? 3 years at 4M would be also great. A lot of flexibility...{2nd line LW}

GALLAGHER. In Gally we trust...The 2017 Gally of course...Actually the after March Gally...Honestly, slumps come and go, heart and soul dont. Decent contract, i'm personally not concerned of him declining. Good for 25G/25A seasons...{2nd line RW}

LEKHONEN. What a two way player...We will see even more soon enough...entry level deal for a couple more years...He can excell as a 3rd line LW and can come up to the 2nd line LW spot, if needed. Great hockey IQ, one of our best picks recently...{3rd line LW}

DANAULT. Another decent two way player. Obviously he is not a top line center but is great at 3rd line duties and even 2nd line duties if needed, same as Lekhonen. Very good contract lets see what the future brings with him...{3rd line C}

SHAW. This is a tough one...Since its his first year i'll give him a vote of confidence. A lot of money for what he brings, lets hope he can bring his A game soon. Production wise not a top 6 forward, and quite expensive for a depth player. One more year to tell...{3rd line RW}

PLEKANEC. A life time Canadien...Past his prime, i dont think he is capable of playing top 6 C minutes anymore...I hate to say this but its time to let go. Leave him exposed for Vegas or be creative of dealing this contract. The 6M are far more valuable than a so so season from him. Danault makes him exposable...{trade/expose him}

BYRON. A true bargain. Great contract, great versatility, he can play anywhere...and all this for pennies...In a 4 line league he can be deadly at special teams and against lower competition. A key player for planing the best 4th line in the league, can afford bigger roles also...{4th line RW}

MITCHELL. He was better last year. He makes 1,2 M for one more year. If he regains form he is good enough to be trusted for the 4th line...His experience might be needed down the road so i would rather keep him, if Vegas doesn't pick him up.{depth player}

KING / OTT / MARTINSEN / FLYNN.  Dont resign any of them. 

WEBER. Was i excited about THE TRADE? No. Am i excited one year after? Well i expected things to be worse, but i expect to be crying if PK hoists the Cup this year with Nashville. What a game of fate would that be...Not a time to trade Weber...yet, we will probably revisit this later on. {1st RD}

PETRY.  For his role he is probably OK. Not impressed, but OK. Obviously the right side of our D is our strong side. I hope he keeps elevating his game. {2nd RD}

MARKOV. Another lifetime Hab. Although i expected his play to regress this year he proved me wrong...Does he always? Its time to prove that he is a true soldier. The plan should be...play until you want and then join the staff...For next year take a 4M contract, and go from there. {2nd LD}

EMELIN. Not enough quality for top line minutes, very expensive bottom liner. Should be exposed and maybe Vegas bites...probably wont so explore trade options. Like Plekanec the 4,1M are more valuable than his services.

BENN. Many where impressed at the beginning but not me...If we retain him, he should only be a bottom liner with a physical edge. We cant afford to lose both Emelin and Benn, but we cant afford to keep both either. Similar players and one has a way better contract. {3rd RD/LD}

BEAULIEU.  I cant figure out whats wrong. I get the impression that a change of scenery is needed. Not developing at all. I trully hoped for him to be paired with Weber, but his play is sub par most of the season. With Markov, Benn, Davidson, Jerabek even if Emelin leaves i find no place for him except with Weber. The issue is he has low value now so a trade might not be wise. I'd rather ride him with Weber for one more year 1,75M keep money for next years UFA like Vlasic, Fowler and Carlson.

DAVIDSON. Another LD that didn't impresses me. I trully expect he is the one that Vegas pick up from us, because McFee always was keen of him. If he stays then probably would be a depth player {expose/depth}

JERABEK.  Too early to judge...Depth player with potential i guess {depth or 3rd LD/RD}

NESTEROV. Is he an NHLer? Tough to say...Is he willing to take a two way contract and play in Laval? If yes...resign...if not...explore trade. {AHL/RFA trade}

LINDGREN / DE LA ROSE / HUDON / MATTEAU / FRIBERG. Resign all of them

THROWER / CRISP / HANLEY / JOHNSTON  / McMILLAN / LOWE. Dont resign them

................................................................................................................................TRADES,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

MTL VS COL : PLEKANEC+SERGACHEV+1ST 2018 VS DUCHENE (Plekanec's salary is the deal maker, must take salary back)

MTL VS VGK : MONTOYA + HUDON VS OBLIGATION TO PICK EMELIN (This is a great deal for Vegas)

.................................................................................................................................SIGNINGS............................................................................................................................

OFFERSHEET WENNBERG from CBJ for 25M/5Y and forfeit a 2017 1st, 2nd, 3rd pick as CBJ cant match 

BOYLE  from UFA for 5M / 2Y

...................................................................................................................................LINEUP...............................................................................................................................

PRICE / LINDGREN

PACIORETTY /  DUCHENE  / RADULOV

GALCHENUYK / WENNBERG / GALLAGHER

LEKHONEN / DANAULT / SHAW

BYRON / BOYLE / MITCHELL

ex. DELA ROSE / McCARRON

BEAULIEU / WEBER

MARKOV / PETRY

JERABEK / BENN

ex. NESTEROV / DAVIDSON

.....THANKS FOR SHARING...

^^^ your forward lines are intriguing although im not sure they're exactly what id be going for but I think your blueline would have some major concerns.  Especially going forward.  IMHO MB absolutely must NOT trade away Sergachev unless we are getting back a young defensman in return. Our blueline prospects are slim at best and he's clearly on a different level from most of them.

I also dont agree with your hudon + montoya so that LV takes Emelin. Yes it would be nice to get rid of Emmy's contract but losing Hudon before he's even had a chance to show what he can do in the NHl would be very bad imho.  Maybe he never pans out but i can ttoally see him becoming a Craig Conroy: a guy we gave up on for no reason who goes on to have 40 - 50 point 2 way seasons for 10 years.  In fact, the parallels between conroy and hudon are eerily similar. Lets hope we dont 'give' this one away.