The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 If I Were GM...

BigTed3

I agree 100% that is why i would drop most of our 3-4th lie guys to make room for our kids we can go get pluggers anytime we want and we don't have to pay them like we pay Shaw who is an ok player but not a game breaker and also not needed when we are so short on actual talent!

Some interesting thoughts...

Max Pacioretty: He is the No 30 in top LWers based on salary {4.5M} but No 6 in points {67 pts} and No 3 in goals {35 g}

Alexander Radulov: He is the No 12 in top RWers based on salary {5,75M} but No 14 in points {54 pts} and No 29 in goals {18 g}

Albeit these facts most want to resign Radu at any cost and trade away Pacioretty...

This team's problem is production from C centers, and consistent secondary scoring {Shaw?} 

To this core you have to add not trade away...and let young players develop further {Galchenuyk, Gallagher, Lekhonen}

The only forward to move is Plekanec No 28 in salary {6M} but No 111 in points {28} and No 118  in goals {10}....atrocius...

30 minutes ago, grecohab said:

Some interesting thoughts...

Max Pacioretty: He is the No 30 in top LWers based on salary {4.5M} but No 6 in points {67 pts} and No 3 in goals {35 g}

Alexander Radulov: He is the No 12 in top RWers based on salary {5,75M} but No 14 in points {54 pts} and No 29 in goals {18 g}

Albeit these facts most want to resign Radu at any cost and trade away Pacioretty...

This team's problem is production from C centers, and consistent secondary scoring {Shaw?} 

To this core you have to add not trade away...and let young players develop further {Galchenuyk, Gallagher, Lekhonen}

The only forward to move is Plekanec No 28 in salary {6M} but No 111 in points {28} and No 118  in goals {10}....atrocius...

I havent seen many posts about resigning radu at any cost.....anything other than a team favourable deal with a reasonable term and he can go, no sweat at all.  If anything, Id use the money to go after TJ Oshie

Patch has a great cap hit and great trade value at the moment. he's worth more to this team for what he could bring back, rather than being the frequently invisible center of its offence for a soon to be 8 mill cap hit.

Plekanec has got to be out of here one way or the other. if they protect him in this expansion draft im gonna have a hernia

At our draft track now...

I am not going to rate Timmins, although i am going to be rather sceptical about his success...

2007: McDonaugh, Pacioretty, Subban {best picks}

2008: No 1st rounders but Kristo better than Hayes, Lehtera, Stone, Smith, Henrique, Holtby, TJ Brodie, Nyquist, Smith, Demers, Bartkowsky...

2009: No 18 they picked Lablanc and missed on Kreider, Johansson, Palmieri, Silfveberg, Roussel, Orlov, Barrie, Cizikas, Savard, Ekholm, Vatanen, Hoffman, Lee...

2010: No22 they picked Tinordi and missed on Kuznetsov, Coyle, Nelson, Faulk, Toffoli, Klingberg, Stone...

2011: No17 they picked Beaulieu and missed on Klefbom, Jenner, Saad, Kucherov, Trocheck, Gaudreau, Pageau, Manson, Palat...

2012: Galchenuyk {best pick} but Colberg and Thrower made them miss on Severson, Vesey, Lindell, Gostisbehere, Parayko, Athanasiou, Slavin...

2013-2017 all are prospects that havent yet reached full potential to evaluate...  

in my mind only 2007 was a success...too many quality left over...

57 minutes ago, grecohab said:

At our draft track now...

I am not going to rate Timmins, although i am going to be rather sceptical about his success...

2007: McDonaugh, Pacioretty, Subban {best picks}

2008: No 1st rounders but Kristo better than Hayes, Lehtera, Stone, Smith, Henrique, Holtby, TJ Brodie, Nyquist, Smith, Demers, Bartkowsky...

2009: No 18 they picked Lablanc and missed on Kreider, Johansson, Palmieri, Silfveberg, Roussel, Orlov, Barrie, Cizikas, Savard, Ekholm, Vatanen, Hoffman, Lee...

2010: No22 they picked Tinordi and missed on Kuznetsov, Coyle, Nelson, Faulk, Toffoli, Klingberg, Stone...

2011: No17 they picked Beaulieu and missed on Klefbom, Jenner, Saad, Kucherov, Trocheck, Gaudreau, Pageau, Manson, Palat...

2012: Galchenuyk {best pick} but Colberg and Thrower made them miss on Severson, Vesey, Lindell, Gostisbehere, Parayko, Athanasiou, Slavin...

2013-2017 all are prospects that havent yet reached full potential to evaluate...  

in my mind only 2007 was a success...too many quality left over...

Maybe Timmins and staff aren't as good as they're made out to be. 

21 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Maybe Timmins and staff aren't as good as they're made out to be. 

Which is quite possible. But hard to know when you have such a terrible development system. It says a lot that the draft picks we're seeing get to the NHL are players who didn't spend much or any time in the AHL with us. Part of this is on drafting, but a lot of it falls on the failure of Bergevin, Lefebvre, and the team in the AHL, as well as the reluctance of MT to use younger players. Was Hudon a terrible pick or is he just not getting a chance? Were Tinordi and Pateryn and Beaulieu really not deserving enough to play ahead of Douglass Murray and Francis Bouillon a couple of years ago? How come Sven Andrighetto is having success in Colorado when allowed to play in the top 6? Should Scherbak and McCarron be given more of a chance? Should the team stop making a mess of Galchenyuk by running him around the line-up? I'm not sure Timmins has done anything spectacular of late, but I also don't think it's fair to pin this on him when the development aspect of things has been so abysmal.

We've got lots of 3rd line and 4th line centers (Danault, Shaw, Hudon, Mitchell), and we likely won't get a real #1 center (c'mon Tavares), so I think the best we can hope for is getting two new #2 centers.  One for our top line and one for our second line.

We'll be overpaying for both of them, but, if you don't draft them you pay for them, and we need them.

Hopefully we can get Oshie via UFA and some other decent #2 center via trade.

I am very curious to see how Bergevin handles things.  Part of our success is going to rest on whether players can be what we hope they can - and when.  For example, is Galchenyuk a 1st line centre? Looked that way for half the year but then lost confidence & fell apart. Is Sergachev ready to be a first pairing dman??  Here's my assumptions/thoughts about our roster right now. 

Pacioretty - __________ - __________  
Lekhonen - __________ - Gallagher
Byron - Danault - Shaw
Carr/DLR - Mitchell - McCarron (various other players etc - 4th line is not a real concern).

_________ - Weber
Markov - Petry
Jerabek - Benn  
Davidson

To me, those are your safe bets in those positions.  I purposely left Galchenyuk off because i really dont know what the plan is. Is he a top 2 centre? Is he our #2 LW?  Will he be traded?   I would hope that he fills one of those spots (or we trade him for someone who does). 

We have guys (hudon, scherbek, Juulsen) who may be able to make the roster and we have guys under contract (Pleks, Emelin) who I feel we have better, younger options so i wont include them in that list.     Some guys may swap around (maybe DLR plays 4th line centre, maybe Leks is on the 3rd line) but overall we have:

- 4 major holes in our lineup.

Assuming we can put Galchenyuk in one of the top 2 centre positions, that leaves us with 3.   Assuming that we can resign Radulov, that leave us with 2. 

I suspect we will see one of a couple of things happen:

1) we trade galchenyuk and acquire a #1 centre.  To me this is a huge gamble unless that guy is a player like Tavares.  If we send him packing for Duschene or Drouin or something we're either going to lose or we're going to have made a lateral move. 

2) we show confidence in galchenyuk, anoint him #1C and we sign an UFA.  A guy like Thornton, while well past his prime, would be a solid addition on our 2nd line.  We could then trade away a package of depth (Emelin) plus youth (Sergachev? Juulsen?)  and get a puck moving dman to play alongside Weber.  

3) we bring in an alternate #1 so we have sort of a tandem of #1c - for example RNH.  This would be relatively economical but we'd have to give up players that we should probably look at trading for defensive help.

4) we try to make do with a tandem of Galchenyuk - Hudon   as our top 2 centres.  Maybe it works, who knows? We have no idea what Hudon will bring to the bigs but it seems like a risky move.

lots of possibilities and honestly we're not that far away if MB can actually get us the 2 or 3 key pieces to push us over the 'good to great' threshold but i have my doubts.   I think adding a true #1 centre (without selling any major roster players) and a LH puck moving defensman would make a vast improvement on this roster. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I am very curious to see how Bergevin handles things.  Part of our success is going to rest on whether players can be what we hope they can - and when.  For example, is Galchenyuk a 1st line centre? Looked that way for half the year but then lost confidence & fell apart. Is Sergachev ready to be a first pairing dman??  Here's my assumptions/thoughts about our roster right now. 

Pacioretty - __________ - __________  
Lekhonen - __________ - Gallagher
Byron - Danault - Shaw
Carr/DLR - Mitchell - McCarron (various other players etc - 4th line is not a real concern).

_________ - Weber
Markov - Petry
Jerabek - Benn  
Davidson

To me, those are your safe bets in those positions.  I purposely left Galchenyuk off because i really dont know what the plan is. Is he a top 2 centre? Is he our #2 LW?  Will he be traded?   I would hope that he fills one of those spots (or we trade him for someone who does). 

We have guys (hudon, scherbek, Juulsen) who may be able to make the roster and we have guys under contract (Pleks, Emelin) who I feel we have better, younger options so i wont include them in that list.     Some guys may swap around (maybe DLR plays 4th line centre, maybe Leks is on the 3rd line) but overall we have:

- 4 major holes in our lineup.

Assuming we can put Galchenyuk in one of the top 2 centre positions, that leaves us with 3.   Assuming that we can resign Radulov, that leave us with 2. 

I suspect we will see one of a couple of things happen:

1) we trade galchenyuk and acquire a #1 centre.  To me this is a huge gamble unless that guy is a player like Tavares.  If we send him packing for Duschene or Drouin or something we're either going to lose or we're going to have made a lateral move. 

2) we show confidence in galchenyuk, anoint him #1C and we sign an UFA.  A guy like Thornton, while well past his prime, would be a solid addition on our 2nd line.  We could then trade away a package of depth (Emelin) plus youth (Sergachev? Juulsen?)  and get a puck moving dman to play alongside Weber.  

3) we bring in an alternate #1 so we have sort of a tandem of #1c - for example RNH.  This would be relatively economical but we'd have to give up players that we should probably look at trading for defensive help.

4) we try to make do with a tandem of Galchenyuk - Hudon   as our top 2 centres.  Maybe it works, who knows? We have no idea what Hudon will bring to the bigs but it seems like a risky move.

lots of possibilities and honestly we're not that far away if MB can actually get us the 2 or 3 key pieces to push us over the 'good to great' threshold but i have my doubts.   I think adding a true #1 centre (without selling any major roster players) and a LH puck moving defensman would make a vast improvement on this roster. 

Pacioretty - McCarron -Scherbak
Lekhonen - Hudon - Gallagher
Byron - Danault - Shaw
Carr/DLR - Mitchell -PIck Someone (various other players etc - 4th line is not a real concern).

Leddy - Weber
Markov - Petry
Jerabek - Benn  
Davidson

How's that?

According to nhlnumbers.com, MTL has 23.688 mil in cap space. http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/MTL?year=2018

MTL needs to make pronounced upgrades in offensive depth.  SO, IF you're going all in.  How about this?  Vegas has hired former Panthers coach Gerard Gallant.  Gerard Gallant is also the head coach who won a Memorial Cup with Nathan Beaulieu in Saint John.  So before the expansion draft, I make this move:

To Vegas: Nathan Beaulieu, Future Considerations

To MTL: Conditional 4th round pick, 2018

The future consideration being Vegas takes Plekanec off our hands.  McPhee knows first hand from being Caps GM how much of a pain in the turtle-neck Pleks is to play against, so it might not be all that hard a sell.  The condition on the 4th rounder being that if they don't take Pleks, it becomes a 2nd.  That allows us to protect the following:

Forwards: Pacioretty, Danault, Radulov, Gallagher, Shaw, Byron, Galchenyuk

Defense: Weber, Petry, Benn

Goalie: Price

So if nhl numbers is correct on the cap space number, Plekanec off the books puts you at 29.688.  So, here's how you retool, yet again, at the NHL entry draft:

To NYI: Alex Galchenyuk

To MTL: Nick Leddy

Leddy is a veteran puck mover, with top pairing offensive numbers.  He's the perfect compliment to Weber.  Snow would definitely say yes to a guy who can add an offensive minded centre to play behind John Tavares.  Or potentially on the left side of Tavares.

Now your job becomes to address the offensive holes.  Here's how I see that working, depending on who's available after the expansion draft:

To BUF: Paul Byron, Brandon Davidson, Alexei Emelin, WSH 2nd round pick, 2018

To MTL: Evander Kane, Ryan O'Reilly

Botterill is going to be looking to shift the culture in the room.  Bringing in Paul Byron would definitely help him shift the culture.  Adding a pair of defense-men with a year left on their contracts will help Botterill with an incredibly thin blueline, and in the worst case give him 2 D-rentals to auction off on deadline day.

Next, I offer EDM the opportunity to unload RNH and Eberle.  I come at them with:

To EDM: Brendan Gallagher, CHI 2nd, 2018

To MTL: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle

Gallagher, I think would be a person of interest for Charelli.  That deal gives him 8.1 mil in cap space to help resign Draistl.  So with those moves, you sit at 57.22 mil spent on salaries.  Leaving you space to resign Radulov and Markov.  If you can get them sign to roughly the same $ (5.750 a piece), your potential line up could be:

Pacioretty, O'Reilly, Radulov

Kane, RNH, Eberle

Lehkonen, Danault, Shaw

Hudon, McCarron, Scherbak

Leddy, Weber

Markov, Petry

Jerebek/Sergachev, Benn

Price

Montoya

So your taxi squad could be: Mitchell and Carr while you rotate Benn and Jerebek on d to pair with Sergachev.

^^ Some comments on your plan EastCoast:

- The idea to trade Beaulieu to get them to take Pleks is a good one. But they will get their crack at Beaulieu (or Benn) for free at the expansion draft anyways. So why would they give up a 4th rounder in exchange for Plekanec? They're under no onus to take on his contract. If anything, I'd think we'd have to offer them incentive to draft Plekanec (or Emelin).

- Leddy for Galchneyuk is not an unfair trade for the Isles, but the Isles need D men. Their D isn't strong and they have an abundance of young scoring forwards coming up. So I don't know that the position swap works for them. The real goal for us here is to get Tavares out of Long Island, especially if he declines signing that long-term deal. NY will want to move him, so if we're going to look at trading Galchenyuk there, why not package Chucky with something else to get JT?

- No way Buf gives up ROR for what you suggested, nor Edm with RNH. Eberle is on the block, but him for Gallagher straight up is a fair deal.

We need to start thinking fourth dimensionally!  Sam Pollock said, "when we started winning, we worked even harder to keep winning."  Some of these moves prior to the draft, some after.  A few months ago there was an article that suggested Philly wanted to move in a new direction and the writer brought up the idea that Simmonds may be on the move and Bergevin should jump on it. Maybe they'd want Pacioretty. I like the idea mentioned about Gallagher to Edm for Eberle.  Pierre Lebrun brought up  that Kovelchuk could look at signing with the habs and Nj wants a 2nd + prospect to hand over his rights. If kovy signed here, we'd give Hudon + a 2nd. Figure out some way to unload Plekanec if not claimed then resign Rad after the draft, After camp keep Scherbak up and let CJ develop him. The loser in the ahl can't. And after all that is done, if there is space bring in Big Joe for his passing ability more than scoring. Lines could be. 

1st Kovy- Big Joe - Rad

2nd Simmonds - Danault - Eberle

3rd Lehkonen - Galchenyuk - Scherbak/Byron    

4th Martinsen/Shaw - Ott - Mccarron

Spares (Byron, Shaw) 

On defense I'm optomistic about Jerebek. He was a top pairing D man in the KHL. 

Jerebek, Weber

Emelin, Petry

Beaulieu/Sergachev, Benn

This would allow option 2 as per draft rules on player protection 4 forwards and 4 defensemen 1 goalie. I read something this morning that said Bergevin intends to protect Beaulieu rather than Benn because of his potential. That leaves players exposed  Plekanec, Byron, Shaw, Benn, Davidson, Danault. 

Which player does anyone think Knights will Claim?

Protected players Simmonds, Kovy, Eberle,Galchenyuk ( the others are either Ufa's or exempt)

Defense Weber, Petry, Emelin, Beaulieu

Price

17 minutes ago, manquant said:

We need to start thinking fourth dimensionally!  Sam Pollock said, "when we started winning, we worked even harder to keep winning."  Some of these moves prior to the draft, some after.  A few months ago there was an article that suggested Philly wanted to move in a new direction and the writer brought up the idea that Simmonds may be on the move and Bergevin should jump on it. Maybe they'd want Pacioretty. I like the idea mentioned about Gallagher to Edm for Eberle.  Pierre Lebrun brought up  that Kovelchuk could look at signing with the habs and Nj wants a 2nd + prospect to hand over his rights. If kovy signed here, we'd give Hudon + a 2nd. Figure out some way to unload Plekanec if not claimed then resign Rad after the draft, After camp keep Scherbak up and let CJ develop him. The loser in the ahl can't. And after all that is done, if there is space bring in Big Joe for his passing ability more than scoring. Lines could be. 

1st Kovy- Big Joe - Rad

2nd Simmonds - Danault - Eberle

3rd Lehkonen - Galchenyuk - Scherbak/Byron    

4th Martinsen/Shaw - Ott - Mccarron

Spares (Byron, Shaw) 

On defense I'm optomistic about Jerebek. He was a top pairing D man in the KHL. 

Jerebek, Weber

Emelin, Petry

Beaulieu/Sergachev, Benn

This would allow option 2 as per draft rules on player protection 4 forwards and 4 defensemen 1 goalie. I read something this morning that said Bergevin intends to protect Beaulieu rather than Benn because of his potential. That leaves players exposed  Plekanec, Byron, Shaw, Benn, Davidson, Danault. 

Which player does anyone think Knights will Claim?

Protected players Simmonds, Kovy, Eberle,Galchenyuk ( the others are either Ufa's or exempt)

Defense Weber, Petry, Emelin, Beaulieu

Price

No mention of Markov? 

5 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

No mention of Markov? 

depends on how much Kovelchuk, Radulov, and Markov would want. I'm really high on Jerebek. The clip I posted gives a slight Markov vibe. If the demands are reasonable, move Emelin, and slot in Markov. 

I honestly want to fire MB and have a real rebuild including trading Price (and everyone really except maybe Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Sergachev, etc) 

I know that is never going to happen. 

I still think this team can win but it need to add up the middle, if it found a way to do that then we have a solid chance at a Cup. 

Tyler Johnson is not the answer but could be a nice piece who Tampa cannot afford (they have too many RFA's and Johnsson is the last they will sign)

And then there is only one thing left to do... Offer sheet an RFA!!!!!! I would happily pay 9 million a year for 8 years to Draisaitl. If they want to win NOW (as they've been doing the last 5 years - when they should have rebuild) then that is how you do it. NO MORE MIDDLE ROAD! Put up or shut up! 

Granlund 
Johansen 
Draisaitl 
Kuznetsov 
Wennberg 

Get it done! 

29 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I honestly want to fire MB and have a real rebuild including trading Price (and everyone really except maybe Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Sergachev, etc) 

I know that is never going to happen. 

I still think this team can win but it need to add up the middle, if it found a way to do that then we have a solid chance at a Cup. 

Tyler Johnson is not the answer but could be a nice piece who Tampa cannot afford (they have too many RFA's and Johnsson is the last they will sign)

And then there is only one thing left to do... Offer sheet an RFA!!!!!! I would happily pay 9 million a year for 8 years to Draisaitl. If they want to win NOW (as they've been doing the last 5 years - when they should have rebuild) then that is how you do it. NO MORE MIDDLE ROAD! Put up or shut up! 

Granlund 
Johansen 
Draisaitl 
Kuznetsov 
Wennberg 

Get it done! 

The problem with an offer sheet is that you start a war.  You also run the risk of getting black listed by other GM's.  Plus if you have a guy down the road you want to sign, nothing would stop a rival GM from grabbing one of your guys with an offer sheet.

3 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

The problem with an offer sheet is that you start a war.  You also run the risk of getting black listed by other GM's.  Plus if you have a guy down the road you want to sign, nothing would stop a rival GM from grabbing one of your guys with an offer sheet.

I hear you but there never seems to be any real consequences for other teams that have done it. I would be counting my blessings if we were in a position where someone was willing to give us 2 1sts and 2nd and 3rd for the right to pay a promising and mostly unproven player 72 millions dollars for eight years. And if we couldn't afford to match its because we have that much talent on our team that we need to save cap dollars for. 

The NHL is a competitive league. We are already at war. We didn't win any lotteries, we don't have the benefit of good weather or low taxes. We do what we have to do! Either that or rebuild because we are going nowhere without any centers. I think, this year especially, it would absolutely be crazy not to make an offer sheet.

Unless there is some other way to significantly improve up the middle, we have to at least try to sign an RFA. We can offer Beaulieu and Galchenyuk as compensation to reduce the blow and play nice, but we can't miss out at our only opportunity to improve our team. 

We don't need anything else. We have the best Goalie in the league. Our D is a little old but Weber and Markov put up some points and SHUT DOWN the opposition. We have Sergachev coming up and Petry. I think we really stole one with Benn, he is very solid #5. 

Our wingers are excellent! Pacioretty is arguably the best winger in the league in terms of value, and top 5 in terms of points. Radulov. Gallager. Galchenyuk... where is the problem on the wing? I could easily have Byron or Lehkonen as that 4th winger. 

The problem is our best center is Danault. I like him, seems promising but he could be a very good 3rd or a poor man's 1st... my money's on him being an adequate #2. We don't even have someone who can PRETEND to be a #1 center. You can win without Crosby or Toews but you need, they don't HAVE to be elite but we need some solid players up the middle or we have NO CHANCE right out the gate. 

And if that's the case, well then let's just rebuild. 

Go and make a list of players that have changed teams by way of an offer sheet. There's a reason it doesn't work. That little clause that says the team can match any offer.

Unless the offer is totally ridiculous, most teams will match, and if they don't,,,, then it's likely because it's a team crippling offer that does nothing but inflate future deals with their own players. Simple case of,,,, you pay this guy this much and my stats are better, so I obviously deserve a better deal. There's a bit more thought involved before GM's cut off their own foot.

12 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Go and make a list of players that have changed teams by way of an offer sheet. There's a reason it doesn't work. That little clause that says the team can match any offer.

Unless the offer is totally ridiculous, most teams will match, and if they don't,,,, then it's likely because it's a team crippling offer that does nothing but inflate future deals with their own players. Simple case of,,,, you pay this guy this much and my stats are better, so I obviously deserve a better deal. There's a bit more thought involved before GM's cut off their own foot.

I just think that is an old way of thinking: its not a free market, its a cap system. None of that matters anymore. There is no good reason not to go after RFAs 

43 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I just think that is an old way of thinking: its not a free market, its a cap system. None of that matters anymore. There is no good reason not to go after RFAs 

It is an old way of thinking but let's be honest,,,, the NHL is old school and the old boys club likes it that way.

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Offer sheeting can definitely hurt your standing with the other team's GM. But let's take a hypothetical and say the Habs offer-sheeted Jonathan Drouin. Let's say they offer 4 years at 5.75M per season. Tampa is going to be hard up against the cap, so they probably want to give Drouin one year at 4.5M while they sort out their cap issues or work out a way to trade him. Instead, now you've forced their hands. Now they have to decide on whether they match Drouin and then trade him or whether they keep him but trade someone else like Johnson or Kucherov or Palat to stay under the cap. Either way, you're forcing them into a trade when other teams in the league know they absolutely need to make a deal to get under the cap. So you've weakened Tampa's trade leverage. Yes, you probably make Yzerman upset with you, but as a division rival, he's not likely handing out favors to you anyways. And at the end of the day, you've made TB overpay for a guy they can't afford to squeeze under the cap and you've messed up their cap situation. That weakens your strongest division rival.

You're absolutely right that it doesn't necessarily directly help us to make the offer sheet. It would be better if someone else made the offer sheet and we tried to pounce on the other team who needed to deal assets, but there could still be some value in forcing your rival's hand.

11 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Offer sheeting can definitely hurt your standing with the other team's GM. But let's take a hypothetical and say the Habs offer-sheeted Jonathan Drouin. Let's say they offer 4 years at 5.75M per season. Tampa is going to be hard up against the cap, so they probably want to give Drouin one year at 4.5M while they sort out their cap issues or work out a way to trade him. Instead, now you've forced their hands. Now they have to decide on whether they match Drouin and then trade him or whether they keep him but trade someone else like Johnson or Kucherov or Palat to stay under the cap. Either way, you're forcing them into a trade when other teams in the league know they absolutely need to make a deal to get under the cap. So you've weakened Tampa's trade leverage. Yes, you probably make Yzerman upset with you, but as a division rival, he's not likely handing out favors to you anyways. And at the end of the day, you've made TB overpay for a guy they can't afford to squeeze under the cap and you've messed up their cap situation. That weakens your strongest division rival.

You're absolutely right that it doesn't necessarily directly help us to make the offer sheet. It would be better if someone else made the offer sheet and we tried to pounce on the other team who needed to deal assets, but there could still be some value in forcing your rival's hand.

All of that is feasible BT, but then you would also be assuming there is no collusion between teams to keep hands off your property. I'm not fully convinced that's in the equation based on actual offer sheets being made in proportion to eligible RFA's, since the CBA has existed. Also, I don't really see teams strategizing to hurt their rival team's Cap status.  Most have enough problems dealing with their own Cap issues without having to worry about the competition's. If your theory was fact, we would see a lot more movement in this fashion IMO.

Nine + out of ten times, a team will match, as we've seen in the past. The draft picks usually aren't enough incentive to let a proven player go this way.