Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 If I Were GM...


BigTed3
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

So. Some of the more obvious things need to get done. We've got about $23 million in cap space to work with.

Resign Andrei Markov. 1 year, between $4,500,000 - $6,000,000.

Resign Alexander Radulov. 6 years, approximately $6,000,000.

Resign Alex Galchenyuk. Can we go short-term and he would still remain a RFA when the 1 - 2 years are up?

- Markie - im hoping he'd be under $4m.  I would do 2 years if he went $3.5 or less

- Radu - i really would love 4 years but as ive said in other threads, id basically give him what he wants. We most likely wont be competitive more than 2 - 3 years so after that point we'll likely do a rebuild and we can afford whatever salary with a bunch of rookies in the lineup.

- AG - we can still bridge him yes.  Id personally like to give him some term though.  I sure hope the reports that MB isnt "looking" to trade him but will listen to offers is the accurate one, not the one about us actively shopping him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

So. Some of the more obvious things need to get done. We've got about $23 million in cap space to work with.

Resign Andrei Markov. 1 year, between $4,500,000 - $6,000,000.

Resign Alexander Radulov. 6 years, approximately $6,000,000.

Resign Alex Galchenyuk. Can we go short-term and he would still remain a RFA when the 1 - 2 years are up?

Markov: I wouldn't go over 5 even on a one year deal, and I think that's too much

Radulov: Sounds about right to me and he could always develop an allergy if things go wrong

Chucky: in 2 years he's UFA. Would prefer to lock him up long term, but one year is okay too, but dangerous! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

- AG - we can still bridge him yes.  Id personally like to give him some term though.  I sure hope the reports that MB isnt "looking" to trade him but will listen to offers is the accurate one, not the one about us actively shopping him. 

I'm okay with bridging him OR giving him a six-year deal that ends at the exact same time the Drouin deal ends. We need to keep him, though. The return might improve our defense, but we're not winning anything without a better offensive output.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Do we want to go after Karl Alzner?

ive been interested for a while.  He would be an upgrade on the departed Emelin (much steadier in his own end) but i have a feeling he wont come cheap.  

Im also not sure where he'd fit on the roster.  Ideally you'd put him at #2 LD next to Petry and move Markov to a 3rd pairing/PP specialist role but that still leaves us without a dance partner for Weber.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I'm okay with bridging him OR giving him a six-year deal that ends at the exact same time the Drouin deal ends. We need to keep him, though. The return might improve our defense, but we're not winning anything without a better offensive output.

Agree totally.  Adding Drouin makes our forward group better than last year but if we subtract Galchenyuk we're back where we started. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

ive been interested for a while.  He would be an upgrade on the departed Emelin (much steadier in his own end) but i have a feeling he wont come cheap.  

Im also not sure where he'd fit on the roster.  Ideally you'd put him at #2 LD next to Petry and move Markov to a 3rd pairing/PP specialist role but that still leaves us without a dance partner for Weber.

I personally feel like we're out of luck with finding a true no. 1 LD. We just traded away our future best chance when we lost Sergachev. We might have to settle with a second pairing guy. Alzner, Markov, Benn, and Jerabek could POSSIBLY get the job done... Possibly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I personally feel like we're out of luck with finding a true no. 1 LD. We just traded away our future best chance when we lost Sergachev. We might have to settle with a second pairing guy. Alzner, Markov, Benn, and Jerabek could POSSIBLY get the job done... Possibly.

Yeah it wont be easy.  I think there are 2 options:

1) We get very lucky with a guy like Shea Theodore.  Our scouts have proven they can find diamonds in the rough (Danault, Weiss, etc) but never anyone that high-end so I dont know if its a possibility.

2) We trade AG for an established #2.



The problem is that while it wouldnt be anywhere near as dire if PK was our #1 RD,  in order to get maximum value out of Weber we need someone better than what we have right now. I would almost put money on the fact that if we got a guy like OEL, Shea Weber would look as good as he did 5 years ago. I think the problem is that in order for him to be totally effective he needs a very specific type of player next to him.  That sucks but rather than crying about it & thinking "I wish we still had PK" I think we need to do something about it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I personally feel like we're out of luck with finding a true no. 1 LD. We just traded away our future best chance when we lost Sergachev. We might have to settle with a second pairing guy. Alzner, Markov, Benn, and Jerabek could POSSIBLY get the job done... Possibly.

Arizona is looking to build a young team I would seriously kick the tires and see what it would take to get Goligoski...younger and faster than Marky...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

So. Some of the more obvious things need to get done. We've got about $23 million in cap space to work with.

Resign Andrei Markov. 1 year, between $4,500,000 - $6,000,000.

Resign Alexander Radulov. 6 years, approximately $6,000,000.

Resign Alex Galchenyuk. Can we go short-term and he would still remain a RFA when the 1 - 2 years are up?

- Markov 1 year 4.5-5M; for 6M I feel we could get a younger guy who can eat more minutes and skate better

- Radulov: ideal would be 3 years at 6M; max would be 5 years at 6M, or I would do 2 years at 6.5M. He wants 6 years at 7M. That's a no.

- AG: ideally we'd lock him up long-term... he deserves more than Drouin, so I'd offer 6 years at 6M

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...