The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 If I Were GM...

BigTed3

Left guy: Just signed for years and 3.9mil aav.

Right guy: Bought out by MB.

Your chart has a big problem, though. It's missing the bar for character.

:rolleyes:

It's really pretty cringe-worthy when you look at them side by side (although in fairness Parenteau didn't have those numbers with us, but it doesn't really change your point). The only difference between the two is the perception: one of them is overperforming as a third liner, the other was underperforming as a fist-line scorer. This is exactly the same as when we were playing half a team of fourth-ine pluggers over Semin last year. Our coach/GM combo just seem to be unable to look past reputation and to think objectively about what's going on on the ice.

Ugh, I just looked at that chart again. Just like the Semin situation, I'm really trying but I can't think of any reasonable way that you could defend these sorts of moves but it's tough. I'm curious what you get if you run those numbers for the 2015 season?

According to Capfriendly, we have about $8 million in cap space remaining. Certainly NOT enough to entice Stamkos. Is anyone else on this team movable? Alexei Emelin? David Desharnais? Andrei Markov?

I feel like if DD could have been moved it would have happened by now. Emelin can only be moved after July 1st to a limited # of teams but I would assume it is possible. I'm not sure they want to move Markov right now but I also think its possible

I always thought they were the same thing but according to habs brass they are 3/4 of a balanced meal.

New Molson Grittios: the character-building breakfast made exclusively for Habs fans! 1 out of 10 doctors (Dr. Recchi) recommend it! Now with extra salt.

Guest habs1952

New Molson Grittios: the character-building breakfast made exclusively for Habs fans! 1 out of 10 doctors (Dr. Recchi) recommend it! Now with extra salt.

LOL

If I were still GM .....

1. PK still a Hab ...... that's a given!
  2. Backstaboretty stripped of "C" and awarded to new candidate at end of preseason
  3. Obviously ... new coach in place after an exhaustive search ... language of no importance .....
  4. Shaw deal would not have been done however DD would be bought out and just be a bad memory
  5. Eller would still be a HAB but I would be working hard to move Pleks, and Emelin. I would have made the Russian Sergachev our #1 pick and still had the second round picks we squandered on Shaw.
  6. Radulov ... are you kidding me? Let him be someone else's cap nightmare!
  7. I would have gone hard after Okposo not having signed Shaw and Radulov and moving Pleks and Emelin.
  8. I would give guys like Carr, 'Ghetto, McCarron, and Hudon chances early to get significant minutes and prove they either belonged or they didn't.

I would give our new coach a lot of head room but I would strongly suggest Eller's days as a winger were over and that he might look good as our number 2 centre with some talent to play with him on the wings.

Phew ... I am tired already .......

We've extended a lot of leeway of late (editing posts rather then delete and warn) because of the mood in the forum, however let's tread forward cautiously with the COC rules in mind please. Some comments scattered around various threads are bashing. Players and management still employed or wearing a Hab jersey are protected in here by those rules despite our feelings.

Thank You

i would find one more winger somewhere, preferably a left winger as i feel we are fine on the right as we stand. i like our d corps for this season and we should be fine in net.i would look at getting rid of Flynn as i don't see any need for him at all

I also think we need one more LW. Barring another acquisition though, I'd rather see a young guy (McCarron, Scherbak, Hudon, Lehkonen, Reway, Andrighetto, etc.) get that shot in the top 6 over a Carr, Shaw, Byron, or Flynn. I don't mind Byron or Flynn as a 13th man, but I don't see a real need for either guy on the team, to be honest. Byron had a stand-out scoring stretch on the PK, but that's likely not reproducible and he was weak at even strength. Flynn has good speed but he doesn't have any finish and he's not outstanding in any one area (face-offs, physicality, defence/PK, scoring, etc.) to be of great value to us. Again, when you have guys like this who don't add much now and don't project to add much to the future of the team, I believe we're better off using a younger player like a Danault, DLR, or so on in that role, especially if you can also save a few hundred thousand.

100% young guy's are cheaper and could be a surprise. we know what a Flynn brings us and it is not much!

Exactly. Our organizational depth might not be the best in the league right now, but it's close to a no-lose. Let's give it a shot.

I also think we need one more LW. Barring another acquisition though, I'd rather see a young guy (McCarron, Scherbak, Hudon, Lehkonen, Reway, Andrighetto, etc.) get that shot in the top 6 over a Carr, Shaw, Byron, or Flynn. I don't mind Byron or Flynn as a 13th man, but I don't see a real need for either guy on the team, to be honest. Byron had a stand-out scoring stretch on the PK, but that's likely not reproducible and he was weak at even strength. Flynn has good speed but he doesn't have any finish and he's not outstanding in any one area (face-offs, physicality, defence/PK, scoring, etc.) to be of great value to us. Again, when you have guys like this who don't add much now and don't project to add much to the future of the team, I believe we're better off using a younger player like a Danault, DLR, or so on in that role, especially if you can also save a few hundred thousand.

I think any of those players you mentioned deserve a shot except for scherbak. I've watched him play quite a bit last year and this guy has no heart, Lots of talent but he just doesn't seem to care for the game. Edit but this guy is not going anywhere. I like to be able to eat my words and be wrong but I'd say trade him and get what we can or package him in for something. From the Games I've watched here in St John's Carr and Hudon stood out the most. McCarron is huge but just didn't use that size of his. Reway is small but I've only seen him play in the world jrs.

I think any of those players you mentioned deserve a shot except for scherbak. I've watched him play quite a bit last year and this guy has no heart, Lots of talent but he just doesn't seem to care for the game. Edit but this guy is not going anywhere. I like to be able to eat my words and be wrong but I'd say trade him and get what we can or package him in for something. From the Games I've watched here in St John's Carr and Hudon stood out the most. McCarron is huge but just didn't use that size of his. Reway is small but I've only seen him play in the world jrs.

I think id try him at the NHL level before I gave up. Its rare but there are some players whose game does not translate well to the AHL level. Until you see him at the NHL its tough to say how he will fare in the future.

I think id try him at the NHL level before I gave up. Its rare but there are some players whose game does not translate well to the AHL level. Until you see him at the NHL its tough to say how he will fare in the future.

The funny thing is he looks like he has amazing skills in the warm ups. But like i said i hope i can eat my words and he does pan out. But don't you think he's value is probably more if he doesn't play at the NHL level. I feel like if he plays in the NHL other teams will see his true value.

don't you think he's value is probably more if he doesn't play at the NHL level. I feel like if he plays in the NHL other teams will see his true value.

Tough to say. you have to balance your risk vs reward too.

For argument's sake, lets say he's worth a late 1st round pick right now. If we bring him up & he flames out, someone out there will think "I can still turn this kid around" and give us at least a 2nd. Whereas if he comes up & thrives then we dont trade him. I think the drop in value would be minimal and worth the risk.

Now, if we have some big deal in the works & he's the missing key to get it done, them maybe I move him before we've given him a shot, but it would have to be a pretty sweet offer (I hate throw ins).

I'd want him to play just to see for ourselves

I don't care if he has heart, so long as he can score! That's not my motto for the team, but having ONE player in your top 6 who floats but somehow keeps putting the puck in the net is completely fine by me

I think it's too early to pass judgment on Scherbak. Yes, he had a bit of a rough first pro season, but that happens a lot. Lots of players struggle in their first pro season and go on to have good careers. He had a rough go this year with injuries and we have to at least give him a full season before we judge him. I disagree about him having "no heart" or "care for the game". watched him in STJ too, and from what I saw, he actually looked alright, just didn't get the points. Regardless, it's much too early to say he's going nowhere at just 20 years old.

I think it's too early to pass judgment on Scherbak. Yes, he had a bit of a rough first pro season, but that happens a lot. Lots of players struggle in their first pro season and go on to have good careers. He had a rough go this year with injuries and we have to at least give him a full season before we judge him. I disagree about him having "no heart" or "care for the game". watched him in STJ too, and from what I saw, he actually looked alright, just didn't get the points. Regardless, it's much too early to say he's going nowhere at just 20 years old.

I've been a die hard Habs fan for a long time. I MEAN DIE HARD. I've even just recently got a $700.00 Canadiens tattoo on my arm. Trust me I hope I`m wrong but i just don`t see him being an impact player our team.