The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016-17 If I Were GM...

BigTed3

I actually saw it on the web. when I saw it I had to have it and at 49 I've never had a tattoo before, this is my first. My wife calls it a mid life crisis. I got the outline done and the color goes in next month.

http://cdn.mtlblog.com/uploads/2014/11/5.jpg

I like how there is room for more cups!

Your wife is probably right but when isn't she? I say go for it!

It looks cool, but can they change the numbers for you when someone gets traded?

The numbers stand for the years they one the cup. So don't need to worry about that

I like how there is room for more cups!

Your wife is probably right but when isn't she? I say go for it!

LOL

Justin Shcultz is pretty brutal. I would prefer Rafael Diaz (which I don't want either) I have watched Schultz in Edmonton since they got him and while he was overplayed and put in roles he was not capable of doin(g it wasn't all his fault) he was not worth the money he was getting. I think Barberio is significantly better and a similar style although Schultz has nowhere near the same shot as Barberio.

If I were GM I would try to sign defensemen Justin Schultz (only 25) to a two year contract. The longer he goes unsigned I think MB can get him at a bargain. He could solidify the bottom pairing with a good offensive outlook and could possibly be used on the second PP.

If he wants a tryout and is willing to go to the AHL if he doesn't make the squad, I'd be okay with this. I have trouble believing he will supplant anyone we currently have though. Petry, Weber, Markov, and Beaulieu are all clearly ahead of him. Barberio played really well last year and is on a cheap contract. Patyern IMO has more value and would be claimed if put on waivers. And Emelin, as troubled as he's been, is better than Schultz, so it only works to replace Emelin if you can get rid of his contract. Chances are Schultz is not going to make this team, although he could be a guy who goes to St. John's and becomes a good call-up to have.

NYR trade Brassard and a 7th to Ott for Zibanejad and a 2nd.

Probably not guys I would have gone after if I were MB, but reinforces the notion there are trades to be made out there.

In the case of the Habs , only when another GM comes asking for a player

In the case of the Habs , only when another GM comes asking for a player

Recently, that seems to be the case, although to give MB credit, it does sound as though the Habs are a team that puts out a lot of feelers themselves. I have no issue with MB entertaining offers from other teams, but if they're coming to you and want to initiate something, you should be in a position to negotiate and grab something extra out of them. I'm not sure how Poile can offer Weber for Subban, and MB doesn't end up getting an extra asset or pick or two out of that deal. I'm not sure how the Hawks were backed into a wall trying to create cap space and still weaseled two 2nd's out of MB, when Bergevin could have had Teurovainen instead.

Imagine if MB gave up Price for someone like Quick or Crawford, guys who are a touch older but have won Cups and so bring the "winning attitude."

Imagine if MB traded Pacioretty for Vanek, who has been as good a goal scorer as Pacioretty but is past his prime. Or for Eric Staal or Andrew Ladd, guys who have won Cups and have been good to great scorers, but who aren't as productive as Pacioretty now.

Imagine if he traded Gallagher for an agitator/energy scorer who was a few years older, like Nikolay Kulemin or David Perron or Leo Komarov or Alex Killorn.

I have a hard time seeing any of those deals as being conceived positively. But that's essentially what MB did with the Subban trade, and yet some people see this as a good deal, not for hockey reasons, but because they just don't like Subban.

Recently, that seems to be the case, although to give MB credit, it does sound as though the Habs are a team that puts out a lot of feelers themselves. I have no issue with MB entertaining offers from other teams, but if they're coming to you and want to initiate something, you should be in a position to negotiate and grab something extra out of them. I'm not sure how Poile can offer Weber for Subban, and MB doesn't end up getting an extra asset or pick or two out of that deal. I'm not sure how the Hawks were backed into a wall trying to create cap space and still weaseled two 2nd's out of MB, when Bergevin could have had Teurovainen instead.

Imagine if MB gave up Price for someone like Quick or Crawford, guys who are a touch older but have won Cups and so bring the "winning attitude."

Imagine if MB traded Pacioretty for Vanek, who has been as good a goal scorer as Pacioretty but is past his prime. Or for Eric Staal or Andrew Ladd, guys who have won Cups and have been good to great scorers, but who aren't as productive as Pacioretty now.

Imagine if he traded Gallagher for an agitator/energy scorer who was a few years older, like Nikolay Kulemin or David Perron or Leo Komarov or Alex Killorn.

I have a hard time seeing any of those deals as being conceived positively. But that's essentially what MB did with the Subban trade, and yet some people see this as a good deal, not for hockey reasons, but because they just don't like Subban.

I agree, swap for swap nashville got the better end of the deal. If it were weber for any other dman, I'd be thrilled.

I think we'll be ok in the short term, but as I've mentioned, 3-4 years down the road, that's where we'll start seeing the negativity of this trade(term and age). PK will just be entering his 30's, while Weber will most likely be in his decline.

Chara, who played as much as weber and was counted on as much as weber, was effective up until 35. I'm hoping we at least get as much out of weber. But if he starts seriously regressing at age 33, then we'll be in trouble.

Too bad Sergy wasn't a few years older, he would be a good to great replacement for marky on the top pairings left side. As it stands and looks, we have 1-30+ dman playing the right side on our top pairing and a 35+ playing the left side.

A little scary imo. Maybe barbario could give Marky some rest at 5 on 5, so he's fresh for the PK. Something we will need now we don't have Subban taking shots and setting guys up.

• 1 month later...

If i were GM, I would be looking to start a youth movement in MTL...It is clear judging by the moves of the current regime, that there's no methodology what so ever to the moves they make. Nor is this team ANY closer to a cup. My trade bait list would look like so:

Thomas Plekanec

Dave Desharnais

Torrey Mitchell

Paul Byron

Brian Flynn

Andrew Shaw

Jeff Petry

Carey Price

Any of these guys I would let go for any collection of picks and prospects. The core i would be looking to build around would be: Patches, Chucky, Gally, Beaulieu, Emelin. Weber would be part of that core too, simply because he's untradable. The motivation for the rebuild would be to assert McCarron and Scherbak as 2 thirds of our secondary scoring line. This would be my ideal line up:

Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher

Radulov, McCarron, Scherbak

Carr, Hudon, Andighetto

Matteau, Danault, Lehkonen

Beaulieu, Weber

Markov, Sergachev

Emelin Pateryn

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Serial_Thrilla_27 said:

If I'm GM, this maybe an opportunity to cash in on L-A's current lack of crease depth. They're going to be looking for a cap friendly solution and maybe if we offer them a Zach Fucale and a 2nd this year for Kempe? 

LA is a team that can win now. They are the #1 possession team in the league early on and they've been at the top under Sutter nearly every year. They're not going to want an unknown minor-league commodity, and by all accounts, the trade market for Fucale is pretty minimal and many scouts feel he will never be an NHLer. If anything, LA would probably be interested by Montoya, but that would mean we'd be ready to give our back-up job to Lindgren. I think we're close enough to competing in a relatively close Eastern conference to not want to give up Montoya right now.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

LA is a team that can win now. They are the #1 possession team in the league early on and they've been at the top under Sutter nearly every year. They're not going to want an unknown minor-league commodity, and by all accounts, the trade market for Fucale is pretty minimal and many scouts feel he will never be an NHLer. If anything, LA would probably be interested by Montoya, but that would mean we'd be ready to give our back-up job to Lindgren. I think we're close enough to competing in a relatively close Eastern conference to not want to give up Montoya right now.

I think also if Price goes down again I'd be more comfortable with Montoya in goal rather than a rookie.

10 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I think also if Price goes down again I'd be more comfortable with Montoya in goal rather than a rookie.

For sure, but so far the start to this season is remarkably parallel to what we went through last year. We have a very good record and we're scoring goals, but we have a pretty awful team Corsi and we have the highest PDO in the league. Again, to explain that in layman's terms, that means we've benefited from a certain amount of luck in terms of our shooting and save percentage that is likely (as it did last year) to regress to the mean. Yes, last year, our save percentage dropped drastically as we transitioned from Price to Condon/Scrivens, but what is forgotten is that our high shooting percentages also dropped significantly. Just like last year, we're not going to continue to score 4 goals a game for the entire season and we're going to have to play a better possession game than what we're doing or else cross our fingers Price can hold a GAA under 2.00.

All in all, this team has played relatively well, and there are positives with respect to scoring depth and special teams that we didn't have last year. But players like Weber and Beaulieu and Plekanec and Lehkonen and Mitchell are regularly being drilled possession-wise, and the numbers show that will catch up to us unless we play better hockey.

7 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

For sure, but so far the start to this season is remarkably parallel to what we went through last year. We have a very good record and we're scoring goals, but we have a pretty awful team Corsi and we have the highest PDO in the league. Again, to explain that in layman's terms, that means we've benefited from a certain amount of luck in terms of our shooting and save percentage that is likely (as it did last year) to regress to the mean. Yes, last year, our save percentage dropped drastically as we transitioned from Price to Condon/Scrivens, but what is forgotten is that our high shooting percentages also dropped significantly. Just like last year, we're not going to continue to score 4 goals a game for the entire season and we're going to have to play a better possession game than what we're doing or else cross our fingers Price can hold a GAA under 2.00.

If you can believe the narrative, Montreal brass believes that our collapse had more to do with a lack of leadership than anything else.  Price was injured, thus not in the room and Patches, Pk et all, couldnt get the boys over the 'adversity' - so we shall see. Does Shea Weber's 'calming effect' translate into a fix for our (apparently fragile) team psyche?  

Time will tell.  

As ive said since the beginning of the season: I dont buy the narrative MB and his crew are selling - BUT - im willing to stand by the team & see what comes of it. Maybe he's a hockey genius so far ahead of his time that a move that seems wrong will end up leading us to the promised land (cup).  I'll give him a year or two.  That said, I still think we should have gotten a 1st or at least a top prospect + weber no matter what the results are. 

6 hours ago, maas_art said:

If you can believe the narrative, Montreal brass believes that our collapse had more to do with a lack of leadership than anything else.  Price was injured, thus not in the room and Patches, Pk et all, couldnt get the boys over the 'adversity' - so we shall see. Does Shea Weber's 'calming effect' translate into a fix for our (apparently fragile) team psyche?  

Time will tell.  

As ive said since the beginning of the season: I dont buy the narrative MB and his crew are selling - BUT - im willing to stand by the team & see what comes of it. Maybe he's a hockey genius so far ahead of his time that a move that seems wrong will end up leading us to the promised land (cup).  I'll give him a year or two.  That said, I still think we should have gotten a 1st or at least a top prospect + weber no matter what the results are. 

The thing is, last year's collapse was predictable, as was the collapse of the Avalanche and the collapse of the Leafs before them. Teams who have awful possession numbers and high PDO's usually (but not always) regress eventually. Now the Habs situation is not as bad as last year, and we have several players (Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Radulov, Gallagher, Pateryn, Petry, etc.) who really are putting up very good possession numbers and driving play. We would also hope that history won't repeat itself with respect to Carey Price getting injured again and that the PP can sustain better numbers under Muller than it did under Lacroix or JJ. But otherwise, the similarities between this year's start and last year's are evident. We have a high shooting percentage, we're getting a lot of secondary scoring from guys who probably won't keep it up, and we've been relatively healthy to start the year, while playing teams that are missing key pieces (Eichel, Okposo, Kane, Rask, Crosby, etc.). I like a lot of things I've seen this year, but I'd be very cautious making claims the way some media have that the Habs have become an elite team. They should be in the upper third of the league based on their line-up, but it's way too early to make that statement IMO.