Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kinot-1

Who's Going To Be Our Back-up Goalie?

44 posts in this topic

So,,, we've all seen what happens when Carey is injured for any length of time. First of all, it was Condon who was expected to hold the fort,,,,, but he failed. Then MB went out and got Scrivens, who also failed the test.

I would like to see more of Charlie LIndgren as he only played in one game, and won that game.

Fucale, IMO, needs more seasoning.

There "should" be a legitimate goalie out there that MB could trade for.

Any ideas?

Im fine with Condon

I don't think he failed , I think the team failed him .

I agree with this. The rule isn't ride the hot goalie during the regular season. It's play him as your starter and give him the regular breaks you would give your starter. We didn't start Tokarski until we rode the wheels off of Condon. And I'm pretty sure it was a good 11 game of that after Price got injured. You hardly do that to a guy like Price or Rinne to begin with. That said, I would like to see Lindgren over him- especially if he does well in pre-season.

Condon, I think he's shown he's capable. Let Lindgren and Fucale earn promotion through the Ice Caps this year.

Lindgren stated last year when he signed that the expectation was for him to play out the season in Montreal then start next year in the AHL. It will take a pretty monstrous camp for him to displace Condon, and I think the Habs would be hesitant to go into a second straight season with a rookie goalie. Plus, if they don't go with Condon, they risk losing him on waivers. I'd be pretty surprised to see Lindgren or Fucale start the year here, barring trade/injury/etc. To me, there will be many other battles in camp that will draw more interest than this.

I'd really like to see Lindgren to be given the opportunity.

Im fine with Condon

This

What I didn't like about Condon is the easy goals he let in just about every game.

When Price first when down with his second injury this season, I was a strong advocate of bringing in a guy like Chad Johnston, someone who has proven that they can take over for long periods of time and play reasonably well. I think that even if Carey is 100 percent and is capable of playing 65 to 70 games per season, it would be a good idea to cut him down to 60 or so games. The two years before this season, Carey was either injured or not at 100 percent during the playoffs. Our window is now and mere regular season success is no longer acceptable. I truly believe that with Price healthy and a competent PP, we are as good as any team in the East. As long as we make the playoffs, I'm not too concerned about who we face.

If we can get a Johnston or a comparable backup on a reasonable deal, I think it would be something to consider.

Edited by fnveenie

What I didn't like about Condon is the easy goals he let in just about every game.

I absolutely agree. We need someone better than Condon as backup.

I absolutely agree. We need someone better than Condon as backup.

Could we upgrade on Condon? Sure. But the bigger problem is the need to upgrade on system/coach. Condon was absolutely fine as a back-up. The first 10 games or so he played, he was pretty good. But the truth is that as long as this team plays the dump-and-chase, anti-possession game that Michel Therrien invokes, the goalie is going to be left in a bad position. Price has shown he can handle being shelled. But after that, whether it would have been Condon, Scrivens, Tokarski, Budaj, Auld, or someone else, it's highly unlikely that goalie would have been able to withstand 40-60 games of having to make up for systems errors.

Look at Jonathan Bernier. Had great numbers, looked fantastic as a back-up in LA. Moved to Toronto, where he had to play in a lesser system with lesser players, and he's struggled. Is Bernier as good as he was in LA or as bad as he's been in Toronto? We can say the same about Condon. Throw him onto Chicago or LA or so on and he'll probably post a sub-2.50 GAA with a .915 or higher save percentage. Put him on the Habs, Leafs, Flames, or Avs, and he'll have numbers that don't look as good.

He's got stuff to work on, but everyone seems to be forgetting that last year was his rookie season in the NHL. The guy will get better with the right guidance. And he just needs a better system and lighter workload to calm down the doubters right now.

No big mystery here. At $575,000 Condon will be the backup. If Carey gets hurt again we will need to pick up a veteran and Condon still gets the backup. Why pay more then that for the backup when its not necessary

No big mystery here. At $575,000 Condon will be the backup. If Carey gets hurt again we will need to pick up a veteran and Condon still gets the backup. Why pay more then that for the backup when its not necessary

The thing is, that last season we already did that, and MB didn't have a lot of goalies to choose from. Scrivens wasn't any better than Condon. I'd rather MB get someone more reliable now rather than wait 'til the last minute, when you're under the gun.

The thing is, that last season we already did that, and MB didn't have a lot of goalies to choose from. Scrivens wasn't any better than Condon. I'd rather MB get someone more reliable now rather than wait 'til the last minute, when you're under the gun.

Salary Cap forces your hand. But a slew of veteran unwanted goalies will be around all year. Scrivens was just a poor choice made by a GM who is afraid to make big moves.

Salary Cap forces your hand. But a slew of veteran unwanted goalies will be around all year. Scrivens was just a poor choice made by a GM who is afraid to make big moves.

This. If MB really wanted to, he could have gone after Reimer or Budaj or Emery or someone else. At the end of the day, I don't think it would have made a big difference. This team didn't lose because they had Scrivens and Condon instead of Backstrom or Reimer or Andersen or whoever else. They lost because their "system" was designed around requiring a goalie to have a .930 save percentage to stay competitive and to be able to do that over 60 games. No back up, whether a rookie or veteran, is going to maintain that pace. The fault is entirely with Therrien for having a poor system and with Bergevin for not recognizing the problem with his coaching staff. It has nothing to do with not having a capable back-up, it has everything to do with our system not being able to support a goalie who's not world-class. That's just not a realistic expectation.

This. If MB really wanted to, he could have gone after Reimer or Budaj or Emery or someone else. At the end of the day, I don't think it would have made a big difference. This team didn't lose because they had Scrivens and Condon instead of Backstrom or Reimer or Andersen or whoever else. They lost because their "system" was designed around requiring a goalie to have a .930 save percentage to stay competitive and to be able to do that over 60 games. No back up, whether a rookie or veteran, is going to maintain that pace. The fault is entirely with Therrien for having a poor system and with Bergevin for not recognizing the problem with his coaching staff. It has nothing to do with not having a capable back-up, it has everything to do with our system not being able to support a goalie who's not world-class. That's just not a realistic expectation.

We will have to agree to disagree. Been watching this team and the NHL for a long time. Never seen a team that knew the number 1 goalie was going to be gone for a long period and they did not bring in a more experienced goalie then Scrivens.

But more the problem is that MB is really terrified to make a big move. Stamkos will never come here for that reason. On that one I think we will be thankful for. But we will not be thankful for not going after any of the other free agents that we could easily get this season. Even Ladd or Hudler would be a step up from what he will do on July 1st, which will be nothing much. Everyone needs to switch focus from replacing the coach to getting a GM who is not afraid to make a mistake and take some risk.

We will have to agree to disagree. Been watching this team and the NHL for a long time. Never seen a team that knew the number 1 goalie was going to be gone for a long period and they did not bring in a more experienced goalie then Scrivens.

But more the problem is that MB is really terrified to make a big move. Stamkos will never come here for that reason. On that one I think we will be thankful for. But we will not be thankful for not going after any of the other free agents that we could easily get this season. Even Ladd or Hudler would be a step up from what he will do on July 1st, which will be nothing much. Everyone needs to switch focus from replacing the coach to getting a GM who is not afraid to make a mistake and take some risk.

I think we agree that Scrivens was a terrible add. He's not an NHL-caliber goalie at this point in his career. I think we agree Bergevin could have found someone better. I just don't think that adding a better back-up as a starter would have been enough to overcome Therrien. I'll bring back that analysis done about the 2014-15 season that showed that if we had had Jonathan Quick or Ben Bishop playing for us, we wouldn't have made the playoffs. That's how reliant the team was on Carey Price. If the team wouldn't have made the playoffs with Quick or Bishop, I highly doubt Reimer, Andersen, Bernier, Budaj, or Emery was taking us all that far. Now if Bergevin had fired his coach and brought in someone like Babcock, Robinson, Dineen, or Muller, then I could agree with you that a Reimer over a Scrivens/Condon would have helped. But to me, if there's a large hole in the bottom of your boat (Therrien), it doesn't matter much whether you have a 1L bucket or a 2L bucket, neither one of those is going to be enough to help you stay afloat.

Mike Condon. Obviously :rolleyes: .

Al Montoya it seems. Not bad IMO.

Montoya is my 2 to 1 favourite or Lindgren at 10 to 1. I think Condon (100 to1) may end up in the AHL or traded for a 6th or 7th.

Edited by Habberwacky

`Goaltending wise, Charlie Lindgren was great. You could tell he was far and away the best of the four goaltenders in camp and will seriously challenge Mike Condon and Al Montoya for that second goalie spot. Zach Fucale was the other goaltender and didn’t have his best day.`

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/prospects/2016/7/4/12092256/thoughts-impressions-scrimmage-habs-development-camp-sergachev-reway-canadiens-montreal-prospects

Im fine with Condon

Agreed, Condon shows a lot of promise.

Wow, only in montreal, with the leagues best goalie, would anyone thumb their noses at Condon and Scrivens. They both did well given the circumstances. Remember, the whole team collapsed, it wasn't just the goalies.

Agreed, Condon shows a lot of promise.

Well at the time I thought Condon would be the guy but now that they signed Montoya , I feel Condon is going to be the odd man out and probably be released out right which is a shame .