Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kinot-1

Who's Going To Be Our Back-up Goalie?

44 posts in this topic

We need a stable goalie who can perform under pressure, because unfortunately our coaching situation leans on a philosophy of grinders, character, the dump and chase system etc, the priority under MT, which demands Carey Price style goal-tending.

I really think Lindgren should be given a fair chance. Condon has not proven himself for me, also he gave up alot of rebounds and seemed very shaky in IMO.

We need to be in a position of strength goalie-wise to back up Carey Price if he ever goes down again and to me Condon has not been the solid backup we needed or need now.

If management still has any brains left, they should be keeping an eye out when Ben Bishop is put on the market by Tampa. This is to cover the prospect of Carey Price leaving in 2 years time.

I must say very dumb move by Tampa to extend Vasilevsky instead of Bishop. If Bishop had not been injured, the ECF might've turned out differently. Vasilevsky is good, but not Ben Bishop elite level.

Edited by PuckPundit

If management still has any brains left, they should be keeping an eye out when Ben Bishop is put on the market by Tampa. This is to cover the prospect of Carey Price leaving in 2 years time.

I must say very dumb move by Tampa to extend Vasilevsky instead of Bishop. If Bishop had not been injured, the ECF might've turned out differently. Vasilevsky is good, but not Ben Bishop elite level.

The Habs would probably just lose Bishop in next year's expansion draft.

-After relying on Condon for the majority of the 2015-16 season due to another season-ending knee injury for Price in November 2015, it was assumed that Condon was a lock to help guard the Habs net for the start of the 2016-17 season. That is, until with just five games left to the regular season, the Canadiens signed NCAA top goaltender Charlie Lindgren.

Lindgren versus Condon is where things got interesting, but the game wasn't over there. Enter veteran Al Montoya of the Florida Panthers who signed a one-year contract with the Canadiens during the free agent frenzy on July 1.

This week, the Canadiens development camp was in full swing from July 3-7 with the Habs biggest prospects showing what they’ve got. Four of them are goaltenders. Lindgren was there, along with Zachary Fucale, Michael McNiven and Hayden Hawkey.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2016/7/7/12105926/who-will-be-carey-price-s-number-two-make-no-assumptions

Edited by Habs=stanleycup

I really think Lindgren should be given a fair

They didn't;s sign Montoya to play in the minors

Lindgren is too inexperienced

They didn't;s sign Montoya to play in the minors

Lindgren is too inexperienced

True. Now that Montoya was signed it may put a different spin on things.

I'd rather Lindgren get a chance to play in the minors anyway... of course if Price get hurts, SOMEONE is gonna get called up and get a fair shot I'm sure

True. Now that Montoya was signed it does put a different spin on things.

there ya go

This is way different than a lot of people have been posting, but I think the Habs should consider Jimmy Howard. He had the same problem in Detroit that all Habs goalies except the one named Price have had - a defense that collapses in front of them. I think Howard would be a competent backup for Price. To be honest with everyone, I like the Weber / Subban trade. Subban has lots of offensive ability and was tough on defense. But it seemed to me that he felt that the had to carry the entire load. And unfortunately, the stories about his fights with teammates are true. It was starting to head in a bad direction. Is Weber a better defenseman than Subban? No. But I like the emphasis the Habs are putting on toughness and talent. And Weber has both, and his style of game ages well.

Jimmy Howard makes 5.29 on the cap for the next 3 seasons, even if Detroit ate the maximum 50% of his contract, very expensive backup.

The Montoya signing makes sence to me because if the habs went with Lindgren then the Vegas team could pick him so this way montreal protects him and develops him the right way 

1 hour ago, pcharnish said:

The Montoya signing makes sence to me because if the habs went with Lindgren then the Vegas team could pick him so this way montreal protects him and develops him the right way 

Actually the signing doesn't make much of a difference. Lindgren is exempt from the expansion draft whether he plays in the NHL or AHL this year. Condon and Montoya also don't help because both are UFA's after this season. The Habs have to make available a veteran goalie who is signed or RFA, they can't just allow a UFA to be the only guy exposed. So they would have to re-sign one of them before the end of the year to make them available.

On 10/2/2016 at 3:34 PM, BigTed3 said:

Actually the signing doesn't make much of a difference. Lindgren is exempt from the expansion draft whether he plays in the NHL or AHL this year. Condon and Montoya also don't help because both are UFA's after this season. The Habs have to make available a veteran goalie who is signed or RFA, they can't just allow a UFA to be the only guy exposed. So they would have to re-sign one of them before the end of the year to make them available.

Which they will probably do with Montoya. Speaking of which, will it be a problem for Las Vegas to reach the cap floor? Are they exempt for a couple of years?

30 minutes ago, RyderRocks73 said:

Which they will probably do with Montoya. Speaking of which, will it be a problem for Las Vegas to reach the cap floor? Are they exempt for a couple of years?

No Vegas still needs to reach floor. That's part of the draft process... they need to reach a set percentage of the cap with their roster, so they can't just choose all prospects.

I only assumed because they're picking players deemed not worthy of protection, so typically in the lower salary ranges. Still some bad contracts out there; I just figured they'd select more based on talent and filling roles.

It will be Montoya . Unless MB decided to sign him and then MT  say Condon outplayed him and they release Montoya .