The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016 Free Agency

Jarred Tinordi and Devante Smith-Pelly didn't receive their QO and will both be UFA on July 1st

Wow, im really surprised about Smith-Pelly. He played 18 games with the Devils, scored 8 goals & 5 assists for 13 points... you would have thought that would have been good enough for a QO at least, no?

As for Tinordi, how far he's fallen. Ouch. It wasnt that long ago that many here (myself included) envisioned at top 3 that included PK-Tinordi Beaulieu- ____ (before Petry).

Craziness.

Will he? Won't he? All eyes on Marc Bergevin...

Steven Stamkos?

Andrew Ladd?

Loui Erikkson?

Too pricey :(

LOL! Hit the nail right on the head :lol: . But as the adage goes, "You get what you pay for!" Knowing Bergevin, he's not willing to pay the asking price ;) .

Seriously, folks underestimate the deterrent effect of 50% income tax :o . If I were Stamkos' agent, I would dissuade him too out of enlightened self-interest. I get less cut from his earnings!

I do get the penchant for Stamkos and wonder how much of his friendship with Subban is a plus. But when did the Habs ever really land the biggest fish available (I wouldn't count Vanek). The trend has always been plan B or C. Or a reclamation project... Staal would fit that mold.

Habs rarely get the big fish, you're right. But there are 30 teams in the league, so all things being equal, you'd think we'd only end up with one of every thirty big names. The truth is that a UFA of Stamkos' ability has never really hit the open market at his age before. He's truly a top 5 player in the league and he's available at 26. This is a game-changer. This it THE guy you go after and pay whatever he wants to get it done.

In terms of big names, yes we got Vanek as the prime trade deadline acquisition. But we can also go back to Bob Gainey's spending spree when we landed Gionta, Cammalleri, Spacek, Gill, Moen, and so on in that one summer. Gionta and Cammalleri were tow of the biggest names available that time around, and all five of those guys were in pretty high demand at that time, even if some of them weren't all they were hyped up to be. Point being, there are guys who will want to come and play here. We can't control taxes and things, but for anyone who's ever been to Buffalo or Detroit in real life, I'm personally not sure why someone wouldn't love Montreal as a city more than those two places (and yes I am fully biased but that's my view).

Zzzzzzzz

We already made our Semin and Vanek deals. As with past years,,,,we're done before the clock hits 12

Lucie seriously considered the Habs. Can't say i'm disappointed.

Lucie wanted to play for his old GM and with arguably the best upcomming superstar in the league. His contract is also bonus laden and with a NMC. Not exactly a slam against the Habs. He already stated we were a serious consideration.

1. Not sure what is or isn't out there, but Weise's deal in PHI is four years, $9.4M total, which if my feeble math is right, $2.35M AAV.

1. Almost half of Lucic contract is in the form of signing bonus money; full NMC all 7 years and limited NTC (list of teams) last 2 years

Archived