The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016 Free Agency

Then again Yakupov is likely still available....

I guess MB could always send Cucky the other way. Normally i would post this as a joke, but after that PK deal,,,,,,,,,,,

For what its worth, in a post-signing interview with TSN Lucy said that he "talked with Montreal a lot" and that he was very interested in joining the group - especially "now that Weber was with the team."

Now, im not saying that I want Lucy. Id rather have Radulov for 1 year than Lucy for 6 - but its interesting that he went out of his way to mention Weber.

For what its worth, in a post-signing interview with TSN Lucy said that he "talked with Montreal a lot" and that he was very interested in joining the group - especially "now that Weber was with the team."

Now, im not saying that I want Lucy. Id rather have Radulov for 1 year than Lucy for 6 - but its interesting that he went out of his way to mention Weber.

Probably didn't want to put it the other way (mentioning PK) because we all know about his hate on for Subban and Weise (both of which are gone now).

Likely factored in his interest in what MB had to offer.

Probably didn't want to put it the other way (mentioning PK) because we all know about his hate on for Subban and Weise (both of which are gone now).

Likely factored in his interest in what MB had to offer.

oops

wrong thread :P

thought I was in the "Lines one"

ignore me

Guest Regis2

So now that the Habs have signed Radulov could they still be interested in Shipachyov? Arguably they could represent two of the best KHL players available.

No room for him now

Emelin or DD would be the only two we could afford to trade and I'm doubting there's a market for Emelin or any desire to get rid of MT's favourite gnome

Apparently there's multiple teams after Kris Russell who is quite a bit worse than Emelin. I imagine there is indeed a market for him though his limited NTC might complicate things. Apparently Habs have tried to trade DD but nobody wanted him.

Apparently there's multiple teams after Kris Russell who is quite a bit worse than Emelin. I imagine there is indeed a market for him though his limited NTC might complicate things. Apparently Habs have tried to trade DD but nobody wanted him.

Nobody wanted him? But according to MT he's a strong two way center man you can trust in the last minute of a game and worthy of his 1st line minutes!

Guest Regis2

How so? If someone gets traded there may be dollars available... no?

Do you want to take a chance on a 29 yr old who has never played a game in NA

Do you want to take a chance on a 29 yr old who has never played a game in NA

As opposed to Radulov who has 154 career games under his belt and seemingly can't decide what continent he wants to play on? I'll take neither thank you

At this point, I'd rather MB and MT be fired and we just blow the whole team up and rebuild

Guest habs1952

It seems a lot of teams are hoping to pull off in a few years what the Wings pulled off with the Coyotes regarding Datsyuk's contract. I don't think there's gonna be enough bottom level cap teams to go around.

Sure there is room we can go as far over the cap as we want in the off season just have to get back to it before next season. trades buyouts there are plenty of options.

Im pretty sure there's a percentage you cant go over (10%?) but your point is mostly true. We could go a little over the cap & then 'sort things out' except that when that has happened in the past most teams will really grind you on potential deals because they know you need to shed salary.

My thoughts on today:

- I like the Radulov signing. We needed an offensive winger with a bit of size and his one-year contract is a much more reasonable deal than most of the offers made to other players. The main issue is the hypocrisy of the MB regime in bringing in a player with past character issues when they've made such a big stink about that type of thing all along. If you can forgive Radulov, why not Thomas or Kristo or so on?

- I don't see Radulov going the same way as Semin, however. The Habs walked away from Semin, but they paid almost no cap penalty for that. It's a whole other thing for Therrien to bench Radulov and then have to deal with 5M in cap losses while trying to find a replacement. There's going to be a more concerted effort to make this work because they won't have a choice.

- The deals given to Lucic, Ladd, Okposo, and so on were way too long to give second-tier players. Glad to see none of them came here despite Bergevin trying hard to get Lucic. The Backes and Perron deals were ones I would have taken here, but not much you can do when players turn you down (and Perron and Lucic reportedly had offers from us and went elsewhere). I suspect two of the players MB was referring to when he spoke of players not wanting to play in Montreal were Backes and Okposo. There were rumors that Okposo said he would never come to Montreal. And there were rumors Backes said he did not want to play in Canada.

- Taxes and weather and the media might be reasons for some players to not want to come here, but there's not much we can do about that. I think the other part is players not wanting to play for Michel Therrien, which is something we could have done something about. How many players take less money to go somewhere? How many guys have we seen (like Boedker and Lucic today) going to a city because of the relationship he had with the coach or GM? I think putting a coach in place who doesn't treat his players so poorly would have reduced the number of guys telling Marc Bergevin today that they had no interest in coming here. It wouldn't have eliminated all those issues, but it would have helped. At the very least, I don't see anyone lining up here to come and play with the Habs because Therrien is the coach.

- The Montoya and Redmond signings are pretty meh. Montoya is a slight upgrade on Condon but also more money against the cap. I don't think either signing will be a huge game-changer. But the biggest moves MB has to make remain salary dumps of guys like Desharnais, Emelin, Byron, Flynn, and so on.

My thoughts on today:

- I like the Radulov signing. We needed an offensive winger with a bit of size and his one-year contract is a much more reasonable deal than most of the offers made to other players. The main issue is the hypocrisy of the MB regime in bringing in a player with past character issues when they've made such a big stink about that type of thing all along. If you can forgive Radulov, why not Thomas or Kristo or so on?

- I don't see Radulov going the same way as Semin, however. The Habs walked away from Semin, but they paid almost no cap penalty for that. It's a whole other thing for Therrien to bench Radulov and then have to deal with 5M in cap losses while trying to find a replacement. There's going to be a more concerted effort to make this work because they won't have a choice.

- The deals given to Lucic, Ladd, Okposo, and so on were way too long to give second-tier players. Glad to see none of them came here despite Bergevin trying hard to get Lucic. The Backes and Perron deals were ones I would have taken here, but not much you can do when players turn you down (and Perron and Lucic reportedly had offers from us and went elsewhere). I suspect two of the players MB was referring to when he spoke of players not wanting to play in Montreal were Backes and Okposo. There were rumors that Okposo said he would never come to Montreal. And there were rumors Backes said he did not want to play in Canada.

- Taxes and weather and the media might be reasons for some players to not want to come here, but there's not much we can do about that. I think the other part is players not wanting to play for Michel Therrien, which is something we could have done something about. How many players take less money to go somewhere? How many guys have we seen (like Boedker and Lucic today) going to a city because of the relationship he had with the coach or GM? I think putting a coach in place who doesn't treat his players so poorly would have reduced the number of guys telling Marc Bergevin today that they had no interest in coming here. It wouldn't have eliminated all those issues, but it would have helped. At the very least, I don't see anyone lining up here to come and play with the Habs because Therrien is the coach.

- The Montoya and Redmond signings are pretty meh. Montoya is a slight upgrade on Condon but also more money against the cap. I don't think either signing will be a huge game-changer. But the biggest moves MB has to make remain salary dumps of guys like Desharnais, Emelin, Byron, Flynn, and so on.

I don't think it's necessarily abnormal or contradictory to give a person who hasn't wronged you more leeway than someone who you feel has. For all of Radulov's transgressions, none were to this management team AFAIK. Kristo and Thomas also probably got less rope based on their scouting reports, you're more likely to take a chance on working with a player who you deem to be a possible significant contributor. I know our management team talks about CHARACTER a lot but they've been willing to take chances on a few guys with bad reputations. I honestly don't think that's been the issue with our mistake making, it's more just flat out bad player evaluations and bad coaching IMO. Even Subban, maybe they found him to be problematic as a personality in some ways but at the end of the day, looks like they subscribe to the old school way of thinking how DMen should play and they genuinely believe Shea Weber is a better DMan than PK Subban.

Agree with everything else, although Redmond might be better than we think based on name, his advanced stats are pretty interesting.

On the guys not wanting to play here because of coaching, the hockey world is a small world, a lot of guys share agents too so if you start getting a bad rep as an organization, it's hard to outrun that. I'm not saying we have that because I don't know specifically but we're already working at some level of handicap for the reasons you mentioned and I can't imagine the way we're coached being a positive to anyone thinking about coming. It's a market some people just don't want to play in. Although I will say this, the 2 things that matters most in free agency are money obviously and winning. If we start winning and showing we're a winning organization, all the sudden those outside factors will matter a whole lot less to guys.

On the guys not wanting to play here because of coaching, the hockey world is a small world, a lot of guys share agents too so if you start getting a bad rep as an organization, it's hard to outrun that. I'm not saying we have that because I don't know specifically but we're already working at some level of handicap for the reasons you mentioned and I can't imagine the way we're coached being a positive to anyone thinking about coming. It's a market some people just don't want to play in. Although I will say this, the 2 things that matters most in free agency are money obviously and winning. If we start winning and showing we're a winning organization, all the sudden those outside factors will matter a whole lot less to guys.

We are definitely at a big disadvantage with our coaching issue which has been left unaddressed. It is well known how MT has treated many players over the years including Subban, and all without consequences or any accountability to this coach.

Players remember this and do spread the word among each other. Aside from the players we already know about, how many other potential trades & acquisitions did we miss out on because of MT.

The one bright light in our coaching staff is Mr. Muller. I hope he will be given full coaching duties once MT`s incompetence becomes impossibly obvious.

^^ I don't really know what Therrien's reputation is like with agents and players who haven't played for him, but you hear stories of players saying I wanted to go and play for Lindy Ruff or Joel Quenneville or Peter DeBoer or so on and you never really hear that about Michel. The only free agent I can recall here who seemed happy to have Therrien as a coach was Bouillon and that's kind of hard to put any stock in since they're friends off the ice and since Bouillon couldn't get a job with any other NHL team.

When Bog Gainey traded for Gomez, I remember one of his comments being that he found it very hard to attract top-tier talent to Montreal and that he felt compelled to overpay in a trade to try to bring in a #1 center, one because that gave him a player of caliber and two because he felt that helped him to attract other free agents, which in essence it did. But not being a place with no or little income tax and not being a great climate destination, we really need to maximize other factors to our advantage. That means emphasizing the city's life and culture, it means creating a winning environment where players feel they have a legitimate shot at a Cup, and it means having a coach and management team that players want to come and play for. I can see guys being eager to play for a Gerard Gallant or Kirk Muller (as was mentioned above) but I don't see that with Therrien. We heard several players from opposing teams state this year that the Habs were an easy team to play against because the coaching staff doesn't make any adjustments during games. They have their game plan and then it's rigid and that's that. They might make some panicked line swaps, but they don't have ways to try new things on the PP or overcome a trap or get the puck out of the zone more efficiently. So in that regard, I think players around the league already don't have a lot of respect for Therrien's abilities as a coach, and that probably hurts us even more, especially for a city that really needs to put positives on its side.

I think players don't like Montreal for a variety of reasons but especially taxes (MLB Expos) and that is why the Expos needed to develop a great farm system and eventually lost most of their best players. Way further down the list would be language, the fans and management (or in someone like Stamkos case weather) Coaches don't have long shelf lives but fans/media can be brutal for a long time and be insanely ruthless. If you want to play in a pressure cooker this is the place and I believe is what continues to make the Canadians a strong organization. Bergevin didn't make these moves because he thought this was just a bad break with Carey going down. Rightly or wrongly I believe the message he heard and believed is last year is unacceptable. I think the players can see it and know they aren't untouchable. We'll soon see if his response was the right one.

Archived