The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2016 Free Agency

All these small players would make for a great bobblehead collection. We could use life size ornaments. It would look great on anybody's dashboard!! As long as these guys can all fly I don't have a problem. Not sure if there are any big UFA's out there that are worth it though.

We need some big players to step up this year, but other than Sergachev and McCarron most of our prospects are smallish. According to this site we are currently the second smallest team in the league, and about 25th when it comes to mass. http://www.eliteprospects.com/teams_data.php?LeagueID=7&sort=ht

All these small players would make for a great bobblehead collection. We could use life size ornaments. It would look great on anybody's dashboard!! As long as these guys can all fly I don't have a problem. Not sure if there are any big UFA's out there that are worth it though.

We need some big players to step up this year, but other than Sergachev and McCarron most of our prospects are smallish. According to this site we are currently the second smallest team in the league, and about 25th when it comes to mass. http://www.eliteprospects.com/teams_data.php?LeagueID=7&sort=ht

Think we had the smallest team over the last few seasons. Didn't help that we brought up Sven, Hudon and ellis.

just read something about us possibly being in on jiri hudler

i dont think we have cap space to for anything right now, so if thats the plan someone has gotta go.

what do you guys think?

i wouldnt mind it at all, we could use another skill player for sure

i dont think we have cap space to for anything right now, so if thats the plan someone has gotta go.

what do you guys think?

I'd be okay with Hudler on a 1-year deal at 2-3M a season. Again, if we can rid ourselves of Desharnais' contract, it opens up doors like this.

what do you guys think?

Too inconsistent for my liking although he really played well with the Flames a couple of years ago. Not sure what the issue is as he has some good numbers but has been traded and remains unsigned. If we are looking at increasing our character/toughness/intensity I am not sure he fits the mold. I agree with Ted on the salary range and think he is a bit of a bargain at 2 mil. He may be holding out for a larger deal and may get it from a team looking to fill a void as we get closer to the start of the season.

He 32 going on 33

If we want to give some young players a chance then they have stop signing more 3rd and 4 th liners

Hudler is two years removed from scoring 31 goals and 76 points. Last year, he potted 16 goals and 46 points in 72 games. Only Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, and Plekanec tallied more points than that on our squad last year. Hudler is not a good long-term solution, but on a 1-year deal, he's probably a 2nd line player on this team. If MT is willing to use Hudon, McCarron, Lehkonen, or Reway in the top 6 then fine. But if the alternative is using Byron or Flynn or Shaw in the top 6, I'd rather see Hudler.

Where would hudler fit in

The top six are probably going to be

MAx, ALex, Brendan

Shaw, Plekanec , Radulov

Throw DD in there somewhere , sometimes because we know how MT operates and there's no room

I slotted Shaw on the 2nd lien 'cause @ $3.9/yr that's an expeive 3rd liner

Where would hudler fit in

The top six are probably going to be

MAx, ALex, Brendan

Shaw, Plekanec , Radulov

Throw DD in there somewhere , sometimes because we know how MT operates and there's no room

I slotted Shaw on the 2nd lien 'cause @ $3.9/yr that's an expeive 3rd liner

Shaw may be expensive, but he's not a 2nd liner. Hudler > Shaw when it comes to who makes a better top 6 player.

Shaw may be expensive, but he's not a 2nd liner. Hudler > Shaw when it comes to who makes a better top 6 player.

Agreed, despite where he played during his time in Chicago (has played in top 6) and what some people say, he's not a 2nd liner to me. Might be one of the best 3rd liners, but not a 2nd liner.

Hudler would be good, but another small player.

Been hearing Hudler's name being thrown out there.

I hear the pros and cons, but i don't think we need him. Had we been a very young team, I'd possibly consider adding him for some veteran presence. I know, because analytics can't show the value of veteran presence, a lot don't seem to think it's important. Analytics are great, from a fans perspective (particularly love stats and advanced stats for baseball), great for GM's and scouts to narrow down choices. My big issue with stats in general, is that stats make everything black and white. Unfortunately, life isn't black and white, every day life contains a lot of gray, which does spill over into their sports careers. It doesn't take into consideration the players personal life or personal tragedies that said player faced over a certain season, it simply gives the end results.

I'm not too concerned about Hudler's inconsistency. Unless you're a top elite talent, like Sid, Ovy, Getzlaf, Perry, Toews, Kane, etc... Inconsistency is part of sports. Habs were looking at Perron and he's been horribly inconsistent over his career, but when he's hot, he can be really hot-then taper off until his next hot streak.

If we are to address our need on LW through trade or free agency, as apposed to our own system/prospects, I'd like to add a bit of size. We have all the grit and heart in the world with Gallagher and Shaw, but they are small. Pleks is small, since the LW need would probably end up on his line, give Pleks some size. Not necessarily grity, but just a big body who can plant himself firmly on the edge of the blue paint. Rad only needs a little ice in the mid to high slot to beat an NHL tender. having a 6'0+ distraction that defenders can't move, may give rad an extra 5 goals on the season or possibly a rebound for our LWer. That extra little distraction, especially for a player with rad's shot, may be the difference between the goalie stopping the shot or having it trickle in or lay in the blue paint for a juicy rebound.

Personally, if we're not considering a big body, then might as well give the 2nd line LW position to Sven. We have a plethera of small talent in our system, no need to acquire one from the FA market or through trade.

So, if we are going the FA/trade route, who would be your choice?

My choice is to give it to Sven. That's why I don't think we need Hudler. Pleks is our vet and in some ways, rad could be as well.

• 2 weeks later...

-'David Perron turns down Habs contract offer' by Brandon Share-Cohen:

'The Montreal Canadiens, a team in need of forward help, could have certainly benefited from locking down Perron’s services moving forward; and they reportedly contacted the Blue’s forward to try and accomplish just that. In an interview with RDS, Perron admitted that he had been in contact with the Canadiens and the Blues during the free agency process, but the deal that the Canadiens offered him would have left “too much money” on the table.'

http://thehockeywriters.com/david-perron-turns-down-habs-contract-offer/

-'David Perron turns down Habs contract offer' by Brandon Share-Cohen:

'The Montreal Canadiens, a team in need of forward help, could have certainly benefited from locking down Perron’s services moving forward; and they reportedly contacted the Blue’s forward to try and accomplish just that. In an interview with RDS, Perron admitted that he had been in contact with the Canadiens and the Blues during the free agency process, but the deal that the Canadiens offered him would have left “too much money” on the table.'

http://thehockeywriters.com/david-perron-turns-down-habs-contract-offer/

It's become a game of greed.

It's become a game of greed.

Well, the teams were always greedy. It's only in recent years that the players have power anything like the teams have had for decades. This isn't on the player, though. This situation happened because the cap and CBA structure has a disparate impact on Canadian teams, and teams in high tax areas. Naturally, Montreal is both. The league likes to bleat about "parity" and "competitiveness", but a significant unfair advantage is given to southern teams under this system, so there's absolutely nothing whatsoever approaching "parity" or "balance". Start measuring cap hits in pre-tax US dollars, and we can start talking about "fairness".

Alternatively, scrap the useless hard cap and go to a luxury tax.

Well, the teams were always greedy. It's only in recent years that the players have power anything like the teams have had for decades. This isn't on the player, though. This situation happened because the cap and CBA structure has a disparate impact on Canadian teams, and teams in high tax areas. Naturally, Montreal is both. The league likes to bleat about "parity" and "competitiveness", but a significant unfair advantage is given to southern teams under this system, so there's absolutely nothing whatsoever approaching "parity" or "balance". Start measuring cap hits in pre-tax US dollars, and we can start talking about "fairness".

Alternatively, scrap the useless hard cap and go to a luxury tax.

Absolutely. I've been saying this for years as well... the salary cap gives a false sense of parity because it only controls absolute spending but does not take into account differences in taxes. The Canadiens, playing in a very high tax zone, are in effect playing with a lower salary cap than other teams in terms of a player's net take-home pay.

The Canadian thing is actually not an issue though. All teams pay their players in American dollars and deal with an American dollar cap. The downside for Canadian teams is if the Canadian dollar drops, their revenues stay in Canadian dollars but their payments end up being made in American dollars. This is why the value of the Canadian dollar significantly affects what the salary cap ends up being: since the Canadian teams account for a relatively large percentage of league revenue, then a drop in the Canadian dollar leads to lower league revenues and a drop in the overall cap, which is calculated as a percentage of league revenues allocated to players.

Archived