The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Subban Traded For Weber

And Price may as well start thinking about what team he wants to sign with in 2 years from now because I dont see anything that would tempt him to stay with us

What a gong show, negotiate that contract with the No Trade and then dump him the day before it kicks in. Good luck signing UFA's now as well.

I was mocking my buddy for the Hall - Larsson trade ...

Chiarelli - "Hey, you want Hall for Subban"

Bergevin "Nah"

Chiarelli "Fine, I'm going to trade him to NJ for Larsson ... out do that stupid move"

Bergevin "Hold my beer"

This team is something like a 46% possession team without Subban on the ice. Even with Carey. They're nothing without PK. Shea Weber was a pretty weak possession player for the team that he was playing on, he's 4 years older, and he's on a longer, worse contract. This is an awful deal, worse than anyone could have imagined. If he had acquired 4 first-rounders as RFA compensation, I would have been happier. If we had acquired Hall, Draisaitl, and a 1st, I would have been happier. I wouldn't have been happy, but I wouldn't be as angry as I am by Bergevin's complete misjudgment as I am now. He has not only proven himself to be a terrible judge of talent, he's also ruined the team for future seasons as well.

Many people say Rejean Houle was a worse GM for the Roy trade, but Houle was backed into a corner and reacted emotionally. Bergevin has been contemplating this for a year, by all accounts from the media. This is his rational conclusion about what's best for his team. It means he chose his friend and fellow Quebecer Michel Therrien over PK. Obviously Therrien and Bergevin didn't like PK, but what's sad is that they didn't like him before they even met him, and that smacks of the possibility of prejudice or racism or whatever you want to call it. The way they treated Subban was harsh, harsher than any other player on the team, except maybe Eller, who suffered the same fate. So now, we have to put up with Therrien and his weak system and we have to put up with a GM who doesn't understand hockey.

I also blame Geoff Molson for failing to step in. And I blame Max Pacioretty. The rift between him and Subban must have been real after all, and I certainly believe Max continually sides with his coach. But do I think for a second that Pacman wasn't consulted on how valuable PK was to the team and how PK got along with his teammates? No. Maybe Pacman didn't demand Subban be traded, but I have no doubt that Bergevin asked for his input on what Subban meant to the team and whether he was essential here. Pacioretty has been a disappointment as a captain, and now he loses the guy who has actually been the heart and soul of not only this team but the city of Montreal.

Personally, I hope fans boycott the Habs games. I hope they don't buy Habs merchandise. I hope they boycott Molson and Coors and anything else that has to do with the owners. Because that's the only way Geoff Molson will listen to the people. Unanimously, fans and media think we got hosed and there is no other way to see this trade. I hope the fans boo Shea Weber, not because of Shea Weber, but to send Molson and Bergevin a message. And I honestly feel like Pacioretty should be booed out of town as well for the role he probably played in this. At this point, the Habs may as well look at trading Price and Pacioretty (and Weber, Plekanec, and Markov) and trying to build around a younger core (Galchenyuk, McCarron, Scherbak, Lehkonen, Beaulieu, Sergachev, and so on) because Marc Bergevin has just slammed the window shut on a potential Cup run for the next few years.

This is absolutely terrible. I had hope for Bergevin but now I'm done. We just traded an elite defencemen in his prime for a guy 4 years older who has 10 years left on his contract and is nowhere near as good. There is no coming back from this.

I think when the emotions calm down and Weber shows how good he ACTUALLY IS, this won't be seen as such a bad trade. And I also don't believe this was simply a Therrien vs Subban issue. There must've been more.

That said, it's terrible seeing Subban go. He was the FIRE this franchise sorely needs. Godspeed, PK!

I think when the emotions calm down and Weber shows how good he ACTUALLY IS, this won't be seen as such a bad trade. And I also don't believe this was simply a Therrien vs Subban issue. There must've been more.

That said, it's terrible seeing Subban go. He was the FIRE this franchise sorely needs. Godspeed, PK!

It's irrelevant how well Weber performs

Montreal just acquired the age 31-40 seasons of Weber in exchange for the age 27-31 seasons from Subban.

At this point, the Habs may as well look at trading Price and Pacioretty (and Weber, Plekanec, and Markov) and trying to build around a younger core (Galchenyuk, McCarron, Scherbak, Lehkonen, Beaulieu, Sergachev, and so on) because Marc Bergevin has just slammed the window shut on a potential Cup run for the next few years.

That's the thing—it's going to take at least 4-5 years to get this going again, and that's IF Bergevin starts rebuilding right now. Galchenyuk is going to be pushing 30 by the time this team is likely to win a playoff round again.

Burn it all down.

I think when the emotions calm down and Weber shows how good he ACTUALLY IS, this won't be seen as such a bad trade.

Shea Weber is not actually good, for reference. The best anyone could've hoped for from him was marginal. On this mediocre team with its AHL reject-level coaching, he'll be a pylon set alight.

Shea Weber is not actually good, for reference. The best anyone could've hoped for from him was marginal. On this mediocre team with its AHL reject-level coaching, he'll be a flaming pylon.

And that's being optimistic ... Weber is one of the most over rated Dman in the league

I feel like my wife just left me for someone else

The ONLY way I can even get around to accepting this, is if they announce a huge contract extension for Price in the next week or so

They should be. They fleeced us.

Yep. I've no love for that franchise, but they deserve to be happy. Their GM just took advantage of the worst GM in the NHL of the past decade or so. They got rid of an overrated mess on an historically terrible contract and replaced him with the second best player at his position. It's video game stuff.

MB to hold press conference at 6:15PM to explain this trade

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=887879

Press release

Yep. I've no love for that franchise, but they deserve to be happy. Their GM just took advantage of the worst GM in the NHL of the past decade or so. They got rid of an overrated mess on an historically terrible contract and replaced him with the second best player at his position. It's video game stuff.

Yup, smells like a EA NHL trade ... I managed Crosby for DD and a 3rd round pick in NHL16 :P

actually i don't think you could do this trade on a video game?

Man, the dump-ins and chips off the glass are going to be great this year.

actually i don't think you could do this trade on a video game?

Yep, the AI rejects horribly lopsided trades. Childrens' toys have to be at least a little realistic, y'know.

Seriously, Weber overrated? Just check the Nashville forums - while they are ecstatic, they're also torn over seeing a great player and a true leader go.

This trade sure is heartbreaking and I'm far from being a Weber fan, but dissing him like this is ridiculous.

This team is something like a 46% possession team without Subban on the ice. Even with Carey. They're nothing without PK. Shea Weber was a pretty weak possession player for the team that he was playing on, he's 4 years older, and he's on a longer, worse contract. This is an awful deal, worse than anyone could have imagined. If he had acquired 4 first-rounders as RFA compensation, I would have been happier. If we had acquired Hall, Draisaitl, and a 1st, I would have been happier. I wouldn't have been happy, but I wouldn't be as angry as I am by Bergevin's complete misjudgment as I am now. He has not only proven himself to be a terrible judge of talent, he's also ruined the team for future seasons as well.

Many people say Rejean Houle was a worse GM for the Roy trade, but Houle was backed into a corner and reacted emotionally. Bergevin has been contemplating this for a year, by all accounts from the media. This is his rational conclusion about what's best for his team. It means he chose his friend and fellow Quebecer Michel Therrien over PK. Obviously Therrien and Bergevin didn't like PK, but what's sad is that they didn't like him before they even met him, and that smacks of the possibility of prejudice or racism or whatever you want to call it. The way they treated Subban was harsh, harsher than any other player on the team, except maybe Eller, who suffered the same fate. So now, we have to put up with Therrien and his weak system and we have to put up with a GM who doesn't understand hockey.

I also blame Geoff Molson for failing to step in. And I blame Max Pacioretty. The rift between him and Subban must have been real after all, and I certainly believe Max continually sides with his coach. But do I think for a second that Pacman wasn't consulted on how valuable PK was to the team and how PK got along with his teammates? No. Maybe Pacman didn't demand Subban be traded, but I have no doubt that Bergevin asked for his input on what Subban meant to the team and whether he was essential here. Pacioretty has been a disappointment as a captain, and now he loses the guy who has actually been the heart and soul of not only this team but the city of Montreal.

Personally, I hope fans boycott the Habs games. I hope they don't buy Habs merchandise. I hope they boycott Molson and Coors and anything else that has to do with the owners. Because that's the only way Geoff Molson will listen to the people. Unanimously, fans and media think we got hosed and there is no other way to see this trade. I hope the fans boo Shea Weber, not because of Shea Weber, but to send Molson and Bergevin a message. And I honestly feel like Pacioretty should be booed out of town as well for the role he probably played in this. At this point, the Habs may as well look at trading Price and Pacioretty (and Weber, Plekanec, and Markov) and trying to build around a younger core (Galchenyuk, McCarron, Scherbak, Lehkonen, Beaulieu, Sergachev, and so on) because Marc Bergevin has just slammed the window shut on a potential Cup run for the next few years.

This.

On the Bergevin vs. Houle thing, I always felt like the Roy trade wasnt that horrible (as noted, it was an emotional trade and we did get back good assets, some flamed out, some just werent as good as projected). Houle's worst trade by far was Turgeon + for Corson + ...and i would say this deal may well be worse than that.

Seriously, Weber overrated? Just check the Nashville forums - while they are ecstatic, they're also torn over seeing a great player and a true leader go.

This trade sure is heartbreaking and I'm far from being a Weber fan, but dissing him like this is ridiculous.

Webber is over rated. He's a horrible possession player ... I'm sure somebody can post a graphic showing it. As to his leadership qualities, the thing Bergevin quotes ... a lot of Pred fans questioned his leadership and drive.

Archived