The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Subban Traded For Weber

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/p-k-subban-trade-may-worst-canadiens-history/

No player in the NHL made more plays with the puck per minute played than Subban, while Weber ranked a lowly 216th of 256 in terms of involvement in the play, and it gets worse when you compare the two directly.

http://assets1.sportsnet.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/SubbanWeberSN.png

Not everything a player does is accounted for here, but this is a strong cross section of the responsibilities of an elite defenceman – and it’s not close to compare the two. Only Erik Karlsson compares favourably to Subban’s contribution in generating scoring chances, and Weber isn’t even among the top 30.

Guest Regis2

What are people's thoughts on WHY he was traded

MT didn't like him , even before he became coach

His personality

Some players didn't like him -

Thoughts

Heard the news on the way home. My first reaction was that Weber better be comming back the other way + a lot more. When i heard it was 1 for 1 i almost puked.

To me this means only one thing regarding MB....

STRIKE 3

Strike one was not canning the worst coach in the NHL since Christmas by a landslide.

Strike 2 was trading Eller over DD simply to appease a coach who consistently misused him in lieu of a weaker center.

And the final blow is trading away another star player because the coach you should have fired, doesn't like him and continually looks for ways to put him down.

How do you still have a job MB???

If Molson doesn't can both these jokers before Christmas, i fear the city will burn to the ground.

Subban vs. Weber:

- Subban has better point production

- Subban has much better possession statisics

- Subban is younger

- Subban is on a better contract

The only two reasons that Bergevin managed to come up with for acquiring Weber were

1. Weber is a good defenceman (said as if Subban isn't)

2. Weber brings leadership and character and two Olympic Gold medals (hurray for Canada beating Kazakhstan 8 years ago!)

3. Andrei Markov exceeded expectations last year, therefore we shouldn't be worried about Weber playing here when he's 40 (or retiring early and causing us to have a huge cap recapture penalty)

What are people's thoughts on WHY he was traded

MT didn't like him , even before he became coach

His personality

Some players didn't like him -

Thoughts

Bergevin is a myopic, provincial, backward individual who has demonstrated beyond any debate that he belongs nowhere near an NHL front office.

Just had a thought ... what if Subban demanded to be traded before his No Trade Clause ... the final straw being that MB didn't fire MT?

Subban vs. Weber:

- Subban has better point production

- Subban has much better possession statisics

- Subban is younger

- Subban is on a better contract

The only two reasons that Bergevin managed to come up with for acquiring Weber were

1. Weber is a good defenceman (said as if Subban isn't)

2. Weber brings leadership and character and two Olympic Gold medals (hurray for Canada beating Kazakhstan 8 years ago!)

3. Andrei Markov exceeded expectations last year, therefore we shouldn't be worried about Weber playing here when he's 40 (or retiring early and causing us to have a huge cap recapture penalty)

The cap recapture goes against Nashville either way I thought

Just had a thought ... what if Subban demanded to be traded before his No Trade Clause ... the final straw being that MB didn't fire MT?

doesn't sound like that happen. Saw a couple of Subban quotes and it seemed like he was a little angry. This is just sad

Heard the news on the way home. My first reaction was that Weber better be comming back the other way + a lot more. When i heard it was 1 for 1 i almost puked.

To me this means only one thing regarding MB....

STRIKE 3

Strike one was not canning the worst coach in the NHL since Christmas by a landslide.

Strike 2 was trading Eller over DD simply to appease a coach who consistently misused him in lieu of a weaker center.

And the final blow is trading away another star player because the coach you should have fired, doesn't like him and continually looks for ways to put him down.

How do you still have a job MB???

If Molson doesn't can both these jokers before Christmas, i fear the city will burn to the ground.

Way more strikes than that. How about continuing to sign grinders to long-term deals (e.g. Shaw, Byron, Mitchell, etc.) after the disastrous deals he gave Moen and Prust? How about dumping Briere, PAP, Sekac, Diaz, Kristo, Thomas, and so on for "character"? How about keeping Sylvain Lefebvre around? How about failing to find a goalie last year? For claiming trades are difficult? For lying to the fans and media about Price's injury and about not trying to trade PK? For refusing to sign PK long-term and giving him a bridge deal instead, then only giving him the long-term deal when Geoff Molson stepped in?

Bergevin has had about 10-12 strikes already. We've been warning everyone for a year or two that this guy was dangerous and about to do something stupid, and now he's done it.

Subban and Bergevin both said Subban didn't ask to be traded. Subban stated today he was happy to go to a team that actually wanted him. So also clarifies that he's admitting the Habs treated him poorly.

Fellow black NHLer Anthony Stewart today tweeted that he has never seen an NHL team treat anyone as badly as the Habs treated Subban and that in his opinion, the elephant in the room is Subban's skin color, which he feels drove that situation.

Fellow black NHLer Anthony Stewart today tweeted that he has never seen an NHL team treat anyone as badly as the Habs treated Subban and that in his opinion, the elephant in the room is Subban's skin color, which he feels drove that situation.

I'm not sure if that was the sole factor, but I'm almost certain the crime of not being from Quebec made sure this would happen.

Based on his trajectory of play, give it a few games—the booing won't have to be contrived!

No doubt Weber is going to be held to a very high standard, and he should be. If he doesn't perform, he should be booed out of town to show Bergevin and Molson what a mistake they made. As I said, I hope fans make their displeasure known. The downside is that people attending games will be the ones who don't care about the Subban trade enough to stop going to games, so who knows if the ones who actually go will boo...

I actually like the trade. I liked PK but I like Weber even better. I'm thinking of the overall picture here. Just think of how many goals this team is not going to let in.

This team is going to be sooooooo hard to play against. Just remember that Plekanec is a top defensive centre, Weber is a top defensive defenseman and the whole team plays good defensively already.

I would rather have traded for Josi++ if this was gonna happen. Or Taylor Hall+. Or even the Draisatl + 4th overall that was rumoured to have been offered. But only Weber? There is no excuse for that.

Like I posted before, Subban for Josi, Nashville's 2017 1st, and Weber as a cap dump would've been tolerable, hockey-wise. It would've still been stupid because Bergevin is giving up the best player in the trade, but it would've made hockey sense. Instead, Bergevin torpedoed his team because he doesn't know what winning hockey looks like in 2016.

I'm not sure if that was the sole factor, but I'm almost certain the crime of not being from Quebec made sure this would happen.

Bergevin can't come up with any reason other than character to support Weber being better than Subban. In every objective measure, Subban is better. So if Subban was dealt, it was because he didn't get along with management. If he didn't get along, it was because Therrien singled him out even before he coached a game. And if that was done, it was because Therrien formed a decision about Subban based on things like his race, personality, language, and so on.

I would rather have traded for Josi++ if this was gonna happen. Or Taylor Hall+. Or even the Draisatl + 4th overall that was rumoured to have been offered. But only Weber? There is no excuse for that.

Don't forget Subban for Malkin, that also wouldn't have been a good deal for us but still better than the deal they took for Weber.

Just think of how many goals this team is not going to let in.

And all the goals an already offensively futile team isn't going to score!

Weber is a top defensive defenseman

He isn't, in any way. His possession numbers against are ghoulishly ugly.

Due to life circumstances last season I drifted away from my beloved Candiens and the NHL in general. This summer however I was yearning for the season to start even more. I reacquainted myself with the team, checked out the pending RFA's and FA's, looked forward to the draft and the FA Frenzy. Sadly all that excitement, joy and anticipation is now gone. Time to turn all my efforts to the Jays and upcoming NFL season. So very sad today

Don't forget Subban for Malkin, that also wouldn't have been a good deal for us but still better than the deal they took for Weber.

Subban and Price for Letang, Fleury, and Malkin would've been preferable even though we'd be getting the worse defenceman and goalie.

And all the goals an already offensively futile team isn't going to score!

He isn't, in any way. His possession numbers against are ghoulishly ugly.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nhl-west/nashville-predators/can-advanced-stats-make-shea-weber-better-player/

He is good at preventing high danger scoring chances though. That article does a good job of explaining why and why his possession numbers are terrible.

Archived