The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Subban Traded For Weber

Fans wanted MB and especially MT held accountable for a horrendous season and noow they will be. Any excuses for the colapse are gone and the team had better perform. While I loved PK's personality I was not a huge fan of some of his antics on the ice. Hopefully he has a great career and continues to grow as a player. I am glad he has been traded out of our conference although it would be nice to see him play the Habs a little more. Time for the Habs to step as any excuses for a lousy season are quickly disappearing. The message to the dressing room is pretty clear and we may have to wait until some Habs retire before we find out the reality of what was happenning over the last couple of seasons. Molson clearly stepped up to sign PK to the big contract, but also stamped approval on the trade. This makes me believe there's a lot more to this story..

It's not just PK the talented hockey player that is now is gone. So is the idol and hero of every young Habs fan...and what PK did for the city of Montreal. That's two knives in the back and two things that are irreplaceable.

He is good at preventing high danger scoring chances though. That article does a good job of explaining why and why his possession numbers are terrible.

I've read all of the articles attempting desperately to explain away Weber's ugly numbers. Pretend all of it's completely true without reservation: he's still now going to be playing Michel Therrien defence, a year older.

I've read all of the articles attempting to explain away Weber's ugly numbers. Pretend all of it's completely true without reservation: he's still now going to be playing Michel Therrien defence.

Yeah, it's still a terrible trade no matter how you look at it. Whatever Weber can bring to the table, he's nowhere near as good as Subban and is four years older. I think Jeff Petry is now our best defenceman.

Heard the news on the way home. My first reaction was that Weber better be comming back the other way + a lot more. When i heard it was 1 for 1 i almost puked.

To me this means only one thing regarding MB....

STRIKE 3

Strike one was not canning the worst coach in the NHL since Christmas by a landslide.

Strike 2 was trading Eller over DD simply to appease a coach who consistently misused him in lieu of a weaker center.

And the final blow is trading away another star player because the coach you should have fired, doesn't like him and continually looks for ways to put him down.

How do you still have a job MB???

If Molson doesn't can both these jokers before Christmas, i fear the city will burn to the ground.

I want a GM that doesn't hire his bff as headcoach.

Guest Regis2

Stu Cowan ‏@StuCowan1 · 2h2 hours ago

So just to highlight: #Habs GM Marc Bergevin didn't want Larry Robinson OR P.K. Subban. That will be his legacy.

Stu Cowan ‏@StuCowan1 · 3h3 hours ago

Who do you believe now when Larry Robinson and agent both said #Habs didn't want him as assistant coach and hired J.J. Daigneault instead?

Stu Cowan ‏@StuCowan1 · 40m40 minutes ago

Can't watch #Habs Bergevin news conference from @Wimbledon. Can someone tell me if nose is growing like Pinocchio?

Guest Regis2

Makes me wonder if MB's staff of Scott Mellanby , Rick Dudley, Larry Carriere all came to a consensus that this was a trade to be made.

We know MT dislikes PK . Muller appeared to like him.

Doesn't make sense to me byt hey Im not a GM of a team

I do not know what to say .... this is the saddest day for me as a fan and while I am not a Montrealer, I feel a piece of me has been cut away. This is the ultimate betrayal of the fans by this despicable group of people headed up by Molson and his two boot lickers MB and MT. The way the fans of this team have been lied to all through last season about Carey's injury and then MB saying he was not shopping P.K. when all along they were so desperate to get rid of him they pull a deal like this!!! How anyone could cheer or even care for this group any longer is beyond me. P.K epitomized what these "people" running the team aren't. He was flashy, brash, unbelievably talented, he cared and gave back to the community and Montreal took him into its heart the way he took the city into his.

P.K. will always be a personal favourite and I will always pull for him and especially against this garbage team. I am so angry at this moment I will stop here to think about what this means as far as being a fan of this team. When the Expos left I stopped caring about MLB and have not watched 9 innings since. I may have to root against this team going forward until the time comes when Molson and the fox hole buddies are gone.

Quoting Subban from that article:

“At the end of the day, I just wanted to come in and do my job.

But obviously right now, I’m going to a team that wants me. The Montreal Canadiens felt that they had to take it down a different path.”

Yup well said Mr. Subban!

Guest Regis2

If the Habs had trouble getting out of their zone before , with Subban , just wait

http://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-dealing-subban-should-haunt-habs-1.518039

The trouble is, for a top-pair defenceman, Weber has negative relative shot differentials (ie. teams outshoot Nashville by more with Weber on the ice than they do when he’s off the ice.) It wasn’t always this way – early in his career, Weber dominated shot differentials too – but it’s hard to imagine this trend reversing as he gets older, especially as he joins a Montreal team that consistently gets outshot.

In Montreal, Weber will be a force on the power play and will play a physical game in the defensive zone, but if he doesn’t do a better job of generating controlled zone exits, Weber will ultimately spend too much time in the defensive zone and that leads to problems.

Just had a thought ... what if Subban demanded to be traded before his No Trade Clause ... the final straw being that MB didn't fire MT?

The cap recapture goes against Nashville either way I thought

The cap recapture can actually hurt both teams. To calculate it, you need to look at the benefit the team got towards their cap room in each individual year. For example, in 2012-13, the Preds paid Weber 14M in actual salary but had a cap hit of 7,8M, so they saved 6.2M against the cap. Same for 13-14, 14-15, and 15-16. So over the past 4 years, they have gained 25M in cap room by giving Weber the long-term deal with reducing salary. So IF Weber retires early, Nashville would have a cap penalty of 25M sprea dout over the number of remaining years in his contract. If Weber retires at 39 (one year before his contract ends), Nashville has a 25M penalty in that one year. If he retires 5 years early, they have a penalty of 5M per year for the 5 years. That's their part of the equation and it's done now because he's been traded. The only determinant is how long Weber plays. If Weber finishes his entire contract, Nashville has no penalty.

For the Habs, you have to look at the part of the contract they're benefiting from. In the upcoming season and next year, Weber will make 12M in actual money, meaning the Habs are saving 4.2M in cap space each year. After that, his salary drops to 6M for 4 years, so in each year, they will lose cap space because the cap hit is higher than his salary. So each year, they actually lose 1.8M in cap space compared to what they're paying out. So every year that passes, you take off 1.8M from the total 8.4M cap recapture penalty they would have to pay. In 2022-23, Weber will make 3M, so the Habs lose 4.8M in cap space, which would clear out the rest of the cap recapture penalty.

So to summarize, if Weber retires after 2023, we have no cap recapture penalty. But if he retires before that, we WILL have one. if he retires in two years, we will have an 8.4M cap penalty spread out over 8 years. If he retires in 4 years, for example, we will have a 4.8M cap penalty (8.4M - 1.8M x 2) spread out over 6 years... and so on. Nashville's penalty will always remain 25M spread out over the number of years left.

It's complicated, but I hope that helps to explain the situation. Bottom line is that we need Weber to play until he's 37 to not get hit with the penalty. Nashville will get hit worse than us but we don't get off scott-free by any means.

A good point I saw on twitter: if Bergevin wasn't shopping Subban and wasn't actively talking to other teams about trading PK, then how does he know the Weber trade was the best one available to him?

Either Bergevin just took the first deal he actually looked into, which is bad GM'ing.

Or he lied to us repeatedly about not pursuing a Subban trade.

Either way, I can't stand him as a GM. I said it a year ago that not only Therrien but Bergevin as well should be shown the door before he did something damaging to the team. And today I feel vindicated by how bad a job Bergevin has done this year (not firing Therrien or Lefebvre, trading Eller for nothing, trading Subban for a worse player, giving up high picks for Shaw and locking up a grinder long-term). Bergevin's off-season gets an F in my books.

And the marketing. He's the best player on a talent-rich, exciting, dynamic young US-based team. Maybe NHL corporate will notice he exists now.

That's got to be yet another reason that Nashville will love him. What a time to be a predators fan.

Archived