The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#67 Max Pacioretty 2016-17

habs_93

34 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

It blows my mind how much hockey people overthink this stuff all the time. Like yeah he's struggling a bit but good god we're talking about a guy who's 7th in goals (and one goal behind Seguin/Tavares for T5th place) since 2011-12. Play your best players with other good players. Stop overthinking this stuff. Paul Byron is great but good lord he's still Paul Byron. Whatever magic fairy dust Paul Byron brings to a line doesn't make up for the fact that he's not Max Pacioretty.

19 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

He's playing with Torrey Mitchell and Andrew Shaw. One of the top 10 goal scorers over the past half decade playing with Torrey Mitchell and Andrew Shaw. It's indefensible. It's just dumb and self fulfilling stuff for a coach to do. He's not going to score at his usual pace getting crappy 3rd line minutes with two 3rd line plugs, and that will just be further excuse to keep playing him less and with plugs and grinders.

I dont like patchy at all and I hope he gets traded this year, but this is total logic bomb. I'm bringing up the fact that I'm his biggest critic to further empasize the simple logical fact that this makes sense to even me and I'm coming from the most negative place you could be coming from. 

with you all day on all points Noob, this isn't rocket science.  super, you shuffled lines and byron sparked a little offense. now you go back to your actual proven top players. like how hard is this

20 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

I dont like patchy at all and I hope he gets traded this year,

Why?

I have a hard time seeing how the team improves trading the 7th best goal scorer in the world who's signed for $4.5M. Pacioretty is one of the best value non-ELC contracts in the league, only ones that immediately spring to mind as better are Kucherov at 4.2M or Lindholm at 5.2M? Like I agree he's not really super exciting to watch and he's a kinda dull personality as a fan but he's super effective and at a crazy bargain price.

1 hour ago, Noob616 said:

He's playing with Torrey Mitchell and Andrew Shaw. One of the top 10 goal scorers over the past half decade playing with Torrey Mitchell and Andrew Shaw. It's indefensible. It's just dumb and self fulfilling stuff for a coach to do. He's not going to score at his usual pace getting crappy 3rd line minutes with two 3rd line plugs, and that will just be further excuse to keep playing him less and with plugs and grinders.

Yup.....when defenders only need to focus on one player on a line you can't expect miracles from that player.

Yup.....when defenders only need to focus on one player on a line you can't expect miracles from that player.

2 hours ago, Noob616 said:

It blows my mind how much hockey people overthink this stuff all the time. Like yeah he's struggling a bit but good god we're talking about a guy who's 7th in goals (and one goal behind Seguin/Tavares for T5th place) since 2011-12. Play your best players with other good players. Stop overthinking this stuff. Paul Byron is great but good lord he's still Paul Byron. Whatever magic fairy dust Paul Byron brings to a line doesn't make up for the fact that he's not Max Pacioretty.

You know I actually dont mind Byron there. Its definitely not conventional but we have seen weird combinations from time to time that just work. Will he (Byron) fizzle at some point? Maybe. Probably. I dont know. But i'd ride the hot hand now that he's there.  The problem is not that line. They are playing well no matter what you think of their makeup. The problem is our 2nd line centre.  Pleks seems unable to be able to do anything there. DD has been horrid with anything more than bottom six assignments/ice time.  Mitchell and Danault are not 2nd liners.

We have a huge hole at 2nd C  and right now Pacioretty and Gallagher (lets not forget about him) are suffering because of it. 

With Byron it's one of those things, he's going to stop scoring on 30% of his shots and the fact that neither Galchenyuk or Radulov like to shoot the puck a ton may or may not become an issue. For as great as Radulov has been he has 3 goals and 2 of them were empty netters, that line will need a true trigger at some point and probably soon. Lehkonen has a good looking shot and was unafraid to use it so it may very well be him but I'd try Max first. Absolute worst case it should be Pacioretty Plekanec and Gallagher and hope they wake each other up because for all the heat Max and Pleks have gotten, Gallagher has been struggling quite badly.

22 minutes ago, roy_133 said:

With Byron it's one of those things, he's going to stop scoring on 30% of his shots and the fact that neither Galchenyuk or Radulov like to shoot the puck a ton may or may not become an issue. For as great as Radulov has been he has 3 goals and 2 of them were empty netters, that line will need a true trigger at some point and probably soon. Lehkonen has a good looking shot and was unafraid to use it so it may very well be him but I'd try Max first. Absolute worst case it should be Pacioretty Plekanec and Gallagher and hope they wake each other up because for all the heat Max and Pleks have gotten, Gallagher has been struggling quite badly.

Well and imho Lehkonen makes it even more valuable to keep  Pacioretty ______ Gallagher intact.    If/when Byron slows down then you move Lehkonen there. 

I think you're right, you have to keep playing Plekanec there & pray that at some point things get back to 'normal' - your only other options would be a trade (and who are we giving up to acquire a bonefide #2C ?) or promotion from the minors.  No one else on this roster is a 2nd line centre. 

- Hudon used to play centre and does have good vision. He's already called up. Do you try him there?

- McCarron is having a so-so start in the minors but probably has the most potential moving forward. Do you give him the reigns now or is it too early?

Why?

I have a hard time seeing how the team improves trading the 7th best goal scorer in the world who's signed for $4.5M. Pacioretty is one of the best value non-ELC contracts in the league, only ones that immediately spring to mind as better are Kucherov at 4.2M or Lindholm at 5.2M? Like I agree he's not really super exciting to watch and he's a kinda dull personality as a fan but he's super effective and at a crazy bargain price.

i find hes not super effective, i find he takes a great wrister and thats basically it. cant pass, cant dangle, doesnt hit. defensive play massively overrated.  when i watch the games i mostly dont notice him, or when i do its because he screwed up the cycle. dont get me wrong, he will make a play here and there, he gets on the scoresheet, and absolutely has given us probably the best bang for our buck over the course of his contract probably in the league. hes a player, but to be the focal point of our offense, and the captain ...ugh no. 

if there were a lateral move for a guy who gets 60 pts also but has a more overall game i do it. if , as i floated , we could land a legit top player like duchene.. i do it so fast i get dizzy.  now  the fact that he is on such a great contract and providing such great relative value hikes his trade value significantly, or at least i assume it does. so when i say i want him traded i dont mean like get out of town you bum, i mean heyyyyy maybe we could get a real star player in here instead of the faster version of mike ryder. 

anyway, all that being said, he's the best LW on the team without argument, and a proven sniper, and should be playing with our best players, at LEAST late in a game, or on the PP.  he needs to be in a position to succeed 

2 hours ago, Noob616 said:

Max is not playing his game he has been tried with pretty much every center on the team. it is just dumb to expect the coach to not try new things. he has been pretty patient with Max the reality is Patches is the one who has to get the job done he is not he is soft on the backcheck coughs up the puck a lot! misses shots on net and is staying out of traffic. you can bet if he starts playing like he can he will move up the roster in a hurry.

5 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

Maybe Capitano simply doesn't care anymore.  You know, whatever.  He just floats around and shoots from any angle.

The team can't ship him out anyway.  

I guarantee you that if they wanted to ship out Patches that they'd have no problem finding a team to take him.

Like any player out there not many do it all by themselves. I would like to see Pacs with Chicky and mostly with Rads. I say this because Rad is the set up man on that line. I actually would like to see Rad shoot more. That said though if Pacs was there he would start to score because Rad woud set him up like he has set up Chucky. It would take away some of Chuckys scoring but make the line much more potent because you'd have multiple real shooters. I know Chucky would be having a different season without Rad being on his line or being on the pp unit Pacs is on. Twice recently Chucky has had poor clearing plays that lead directly to goals against but he's the sweetheardt now and gets no criticism. I want to see Pacs succeed because it's only going to help the team but he needs to be put where he can.  

14 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

what happened last game? didnt come out for his 3rd star selection? 

http://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/captain-is-3rd-star-doesn-t-even-go-on-the-ice-at-home

Apparently he had basically reached the dressing room when they told him about the selection, when he got back to the rink he was unsure whether his name had already been called or not, so he decided to play it safe and only wave to the remaining crowd instead of jumping on the ice.

RDS talks about it and also has a quote in French in the following video:

http://www.rds.ca/videos/hockey/lnh/canadiens/canadiens-max-pacioretty-aurait-il-du-sauter-sur-la-patinoire-lnh-3.1207957

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

Apparently he had basically reached the dressing room when they told him about the selection, when he got back to the rink he was unsure whether his name had already been called or not, so he decided to play it safe and only wave to the remaining crowd instead of jumping on the ice.

RDS talks about it and also has a quote in French in the following video:

http://www.rds.ca/videos/hockey/lnh/canadiens/canadiens-max-pacioretty-aurait-il-du-sauter-sur-la-patinoire-lnh-3.1207957

that makes more sense, whatever I think negatively about max he definitely isnt a suck

Even if a player didn't come out why would it even be a thing at all? The game is over most people are making their way out. I would rather have a player that didn't care if he was selected at all and only cared that the team won. Either way I don't think any of that stuff makes any difference. I'm old school and care less if a player ever does an interview or ever talks to the press or what they do off the ice. I can see why some players would unfortunately not play in markets that don't leave you alone. I know it's part of being a professional athlete but myself with all the media there is today I don't blame the players for not always wanting the attention.

2 hours ago, jeff33 said:

that makes more sense, whatever I think negatively about max he definitely isnt a suck

Yep...Max wouldn't snub the crowd.

2 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

Even if a player didn't come out why would it even be a thing at all? The game is over most people are making their way out. I would rather have a player that didn't care if he was selected at all and only cared that the team won. Either way I don't think any of that stuff makes any difference. I'm old school and care less if a player ever does an interview or ever talks to the press or what they do off the ice. I can see why some players would unfortunately not play in markets that don't leave you alone. I know it's part of being a professional athlete but myself with all the media there is today I don't blame the players for not always wanting the attention.

As long as the player is at the Bell Centre he's on the job and there are certain things they are required to do unless management tells them not to.

5 hours ago, habs1952 said:

Yep...Max wouldn't snub the crowd.

As long as the player is at the Bell Centre he's on the job and there are certain things they are required to do unless management tells them not to.

Like I said I understand as a professional athlete that some things are required. I don think though that when they don't do something like this, it is at least in this market made way to big of deal of.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats for his goal, but disappointed in his leadership.

I'm referring to the Price-Palmieri fracas.  Ben Lovejoy lunged in and pushed Carey Price backwards into the net.  What did Pacioretty do?  He only restrained Lovejoy instead of giving it hard to him.  Come on, this was a blatant attack on Price!!! :5155: Watch the replay again.

3 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I' d say Max got the monkey off his back tonight.

Yeah, I think he had something like 4 in 6 coming in so he wasn't really slumping anymore but it's nice to put his numbers back in line with what you'd expect. Goal scorers are streaky, all the sudden his stats look nice and he's on pace for another very good year. 

On 11/23/2016 at 1:00 PM, ramcharger440 said:

Still not on his game yet. time for him to start pressing the play a bit more!

Funny how it works with goal scorers, we all sort of thought this a few weeks ago (when he had a foot injury) and here we are with him leading the team in goals, points, GWG, SOG all while being our best possession forward. Looks like the same old guy right now, which is why his contract is gold and some of the flack he catches is overkill.