The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#67 Max Pacioretty 2016-17

habs_93

On 2/28/2017 at 10:36 PM, ChiLla said:

Since the start of the 2013-2014 season, he ranks second in the league, behind only Alex Ovechkin, with 137 goals in 298 games.

http://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-pacioretty-can-pull-the-trigger-1.683569

and yet people continue to say that we should trade him because he's just not a great scorer.  lol. 

1 hour ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Sure likes to glide by opportunities to use the body... I wonder why?

Historically yes, but in the past 20 games, he's playing with much more intensity and getting into dirty areas. Reminds me of what he was like when he first played the top 6 with Gomez and Gio and was going through everyone.

3 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

He lost a lot of physicality after that ridiculous suspension for the clean hit on Letang a few years back.

23 minutes ago, habs_93 said:

He lost a lot of physicality after that ridiculous suspension for the clean hit on Letang a few years back.

Agreed, although suspension or not, he was really shaken up over it. Remember how much of a head-injury education advocate he's been since the Chara incident. He was visibly upset with himself over (potentially) injuring Letang 

On 02/03/2017 at 11:58 AM, maas_art said:

and yet people continue to say that we should trade him because he's just not a great scorer.  lol. 

I'm not sure ive seen that said here, but it would be silly, max is clearly a great goal scorer.

As someone who would like to see him traded though, and has been critical of him on here, let me explain my justification.

I do not think max is a franchise player i.e a toews/benn/tavares etc..   He's a great goal scoring winger, great part of a 1st line, but not the straw that stirs the drink.  Now thats all well and good, not that this has no value, but the day is coming soon where he needs a new contract, and i do NOT want us to give him money comparable to what those kind of stars get.

in a nutshell....do his goal numbers compare with elites like ovechkin? yes...but would washington do that trade? never in a million years. 

I feel like if we give him franchise money, its an albatross. we are not going to win a cup if he is our "best" player. paying him as such handicaps us cap wise to have a true star forward leading our group. 

if max wants 7+ a year...which im sure he will want, and is justified in terms of his production + being captain to ask for, im not interested. most of you may disagree, and thats fine, like i said im not being obtuse to his numbers or his value on an nhl team, i just feel he does not stack up with the true elite players of the league and as such I dont want to be paying him that kind of money.

its an awkward situation given his tenure and productiveness, as well as having the C. in all likelihood those things are going to ensure that we do in fact lock him up, unless we get a new GM who views it in the way I do.  

2 hours ago, jeff33 said:

I'm not sure ive seen that said here, but it would be silly, max is clearly a great goal scorer.

As someone who would like to see him traded though, and has been critical of him on here, let me explain my justification.

I do not think max is a franchise player i.e a toews/benn/tavares etc..   He's a great goal scoring winger, great part of a 1st line, but not the straw that stirs the drink.  Now thats all well and good, not that this has no value, but the day is coming soon where he needs a new contract, and i do NOT want us to give him money comparable to what those kind of stars get.

in a nutshell....do his goal numbers compare with elites like ovechkin? yes...but would washington do that trade? never in a million years. 

I feel like if we give him franchise money, its an albatross. we are not going to win a cup if he is our "best" player. paying him as such handicaps us cap wise to have a true star forward leading our group. 

if max wants 7+ a year...which im sure he will want, and is justified in terms of his production + being captain to ask for, im not interested. most of you may disagree, and thats fine, like i said im not being obtuse to his numbers or his value on an nhl team, i just feel he does not stack up with the true elite players of the league and as such I dont want to be paying him that kind of money.

its an awkward situation given his tenure and productiveness, as well as having the C. in all likelihood those things are going to ensure that we do in fact lock him up, unless we get a new GM who views it in the way I do.  

I think you would be hard pressed to find a 30 to 40 goal scorer making much less then that 7 mill a season. The Pens manage to have a Crosby and Malkin in their lineup and still found room for their version of Max, in Kessel. It's proof that it's doable, so I wouldn't be too worried about the Cap implication for us down the road. If that elite A guy becomes available then you make room, one way or the other.

On 3/3/2017 at 10:47 AM, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

On 3/3/2017 at 2:04 PM, habs_93 said:

On 3/3/2017 at 2:28 PM, maas_art said:

Agreed, although suspension or not, he was really shaken up over it. Remember how much of a head-injury education advocate he's been since the Chara incident. He was visibly upset with himself over (potentially) injuring Letang 

There's no excuse for him not rubbing a player out of the play. No one is asking him to put someone through the boards. Flybys (and not just by Patches) are hurting us in our own zone. Opponents get back in the play too quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, H_T_L said:

#32 and 33 tonight. Still has a shot to hit 40.

Yup 7 goals in 13 games is certainly not off pace based on his last few months but those last few always seem elusive to him.  Would be nice for him to finally get 40 after 39 and 37 goal seasons in the past

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 1:14 PM, habs1952 said:

I think he's sulking. I don't think he's happy he's only making $5 mil/yr compared to other top goal scorers. Out of the top 35 scorers, he's tied for last with 27 assists. 

Really? he is doing what he has always done he is a streak player pure and simple.

5 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Really? he is doing what he has always done he is a streak player pure and simple.

Meh.  Out of the top 35 point getters 27 have more assists than goals. They contribute to their team mates success which helps their team. Patches prefers to take a shot wide of the net instead of trying to make a play. He's basically a one trick pony who scores because of the hard work of his line mates. 

35 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Meh.  Out of the top 35 point getters 27 have more assists than goals. They contribute to their team mates success which helps their team. Patches prefers to take a shot wide of the net instead of trying to make a play. He's basically a one trick pony who scores because of the hard work of his line mates. 

This is confusing, cause it appears to imply he's overpaid, while at the same time he is sulking cause others make more. Perhaps we need to get rid of his misery for him and let him loose or perhaps over pay him so he can bee happily less productive. 

I like to believe people who do what they lov for a living and get payed are happy. Max should know he's an injury away  from earl y retirement. I'm not sure how streaks of good or bad fortune turn into bad attitudes. Max has rebounded before and as long as he rebounds by playoff time that's cool. It'll give some teammates a chance to  wake up.