The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#67 Max Pacioretty 2016-17

habs_93

To be fair, every team needs players to get them to the playoffs. His seasonal goals are critical to help this team make it.

But don't expect him to power this team through the playoffs. Regular followers should wisen up by now based on a decent sample size of his playoff performances.

He may suffer the hate now, but once the new season gets underway, all will be forgotten and people cheer his 30+ goals again......

Until the playoffs begin....and the cycle repeats.

1 hour ago, CaptWelly said:

Patches played hard ran into a hot goalie , you don't get the most shots by doing nothing. 

Actually, you can get a lot of shots and still do nothing ... the majority of Patches shots were perimeter, easy saves.      By definition he did nothing ... your leading scorer had 0g1a in 6games    Period.    Results matter, not effort.   The Habs don't get a participation ribbon for having made it to the playoffs, and Patches shouldn't get one for simply throwing the puck on net.    He stunk, the team stunk and Carey was the only reason we didn't get swept.

On 4/20/2017 at 4:49 PM, vegasrick said:

I don't think that winning 4-1 as opposed to 3-1 would have been as big a difference-maker as you indicate, unless you believe that extra goal would somehow have transformed the lackluster output in Game 4.

I believe tonight will be the turning point.  I'm expecting big things from the team and from our best players.  I'm expecting Max to lead by example and the Habs to show the world they belong in these playoffs.  

I wasn't trying to say winning 4-1 would help the team, i think it would have helped Max. 

4 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

with the lack of offensive punch on this team he gets covered hard in the playoffs, ask Kessell if he has more room in Pitt!

Agreed. He is and will always be a defensively responsible Michael Ryder.  Thats not a bad thing - he's a great player in certain situations and even at times when he's not scoring he's actively helping your team (defensively) and never hurting (never a distraction or making bad plays).

Is he 'captain material'?  I have no idea - none of us do, we're not in the room - but I would say he cant be our driving scoring forward.   If he's a secondary scorer, the whole issue becomes moot, he probably doesnt put so much pressure on himself & he likely ends up being way more effective.   In the last couple of games he was literally firing the puck off any time he got it, no matter where he was. He had like 0.1% chance of scoring on most of those but "bang" gotta get it on the net.   Total lack of confidence and too much pressure on himself killed him in the end. 

Just now, HabsAlways said:

The more I contemplate this years team and the results ... the more I want this guy gone.    I firmly believe that Patches, Pleks and MT all had a part in running Subban out of town.

Lol, yeah people think that. I don't get why. Did Pleks or Pacioretty cause Bergevin's first order of business upon taking over to be fighting with Subban into him taking a bridge contract, acting like he wasn't a number 1 D at every turn, fighting him again on his next contract to the point it went to arbitration, never missing a chance to throw him under the bus? I don't know how PK's teammates felt about him, I'm sure when you're on a team that's losing as much as we were in 2015-16 everyone's tempers are a little short and it wouldn't surprise me that PK's energy could be grating when you're in the middle of one of the worst stretches in franchise history but I don't see it. I don't see them having that kind of sway, if ANYONE in the organization would as a player, maybe it would be Price but even then.

There's a long history of Bergevin being iffy on Subban, whether you think it was warranted or not. Let's put it this way, if you thought Pleks + Pacioretty were iffy on Shea Weber, do you believe in anyway Bergevin would explore trading him?

13 minutes ago, roy_133 said:

Lol, yeah people think that. I don't get why. Did Pleks or Pacioretty cause Bergevin's first order of business upon taking over to be fighting with Subban into him taking a bridge contract, acting like he wasn't a number 1 D at every turn, fighting him again on his next contract to the point it went to arbitration, never missing a chance to throw him under the bus? I don't know how PK's teammates felt about him, I'm sure when you're on a team that's losing as much as we were in 2015-16 everyone's tempers are a little short and it wouldn't surprise me that PK's energy could be grating when you're in the middle of one of the worst stretches in franchise history but I don't see it. I don't see them having that kind of sway, if ANYONE in the organization would as a player, maybe it would be Price but even then.

There's a long history of Bergevin being iffy on Subban, whether you think it was warranted or not. Let's put it this way, if you thought Pleks + Pacioretty were iffy on Shea Weber, do you believe in anyway Bergevin would explore trading him?

Every behind the scenes video shows that Pleks clearly did not like Subban.    Same could be said of Patches, but he hid it a bit better.  

There were plenty of rumours that Subban rubbed people the wrong way, including Patches.   And I think once Patches got the C there was a bit of ... anxiety there ... because Subban was simply larger than life.       

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/rumor-the-ugly-truth-about-why-p-k-subban-was-traded-may-be-coming-out

I'm not saying everyone got along, not everyone does on a team. I'm saying GMs don't trade franchise level players because a couple guys have problems with him. Also, Bergevin came into this job with obvious attitude towards Subban.

Subban may have had a problem with Pacioretty getting the C and Pacioretty may have disliked Subban, I don't buy that as a reason for the trade, especially given Bergevin's history

1 hour ago, roy_133 said:

I'm not saying everyone got along, not everyone does on a team. I'm saying GMs don't trade franchise level players because a couple guys have problems with him. Also, Bergevin came into this job with obvious attitude towards Subban.

Subban may have had a problem with Pacioretty getting the C and Pacioretty may have disliked Subban, I don't buy that as a reason for the trade, especially given Bergevin's history

The part in bold is the part that I think speaks volumes. Bergevin AND Therrien took over their jobs already having the notion that PK was a bad apple and needed to be taken care of. From the bridge contract to failing to promote him for Team Canada to the benchings and the name calling in the media, MB and MT were extremely unprofessional the entire time and seemed intent on causing Subban's downfall in Montreal. I wouldn't be surprised if they encouraged other players to speak out against him.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:28 AM, PuckPundit said:

A good father, according to CJ. :4322: Wow, how does CJ know? Regular visitor to the Pacioretty home? :4224:

Considering they are team mates and Pacs has been a father longer than Carey he may have gave him good advice along the way. I would have to say though just as your own friends or co workers you may or may not consider good parents he probably knows him just as well. Hockey players due to being on the road and the type of job they have get to know each other probably better than most co workers get to know each other.

49 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Considering they are team mates and Pacs has been a father longer than Carey he may have gave him good advice along the way. I would have to say though just as your own friends or co workers you may or may not consider good parents he probably knows him just as well. Hockey players due to being on the road and the type of job they have get to know each other probably better than most co workers get to know each other.

He wasn't talking CP. He was talking C Julien.  

9 hours ago, roy_133 said:

I'm not saying everyone got along, not everyone does on a team. I'm saying GMs don't trade franchise level players because a couple guys have problems with him.

That and if you DO trade a franchise level player make sure you at very least get market value for him, not a worse return.  Even if we consider Weber to be Subban's equal right now (which i dont think many of us do) the age difference alone should have meant more coming back to us in the form of a second player or high pick(s).

• 5 weeks later...