The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#27 Alex Galchenyuk 2016-17

habs_93

• 3 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

Can't remember the last time I saw a Hab in the top 6 in league scoring this far into the season. Last guy I can remember being there was Koivu before he had that nasty knee injury.

He still has to improve his face-offs though.  

Don't forget Tuesday's OT fiasco, where he hesitated to head to the bench for a change after breaking his stick.  Some spectators in the front row reported Carey Price was yelling at him to quickly go.  When he finally skated towards the bench,  it exposed a 2-on-3 gap in the blue zone resulting in Florida's winner.  :6185:

Still a lot of learning to do.

33 minutes ago, PuckPundit said:

He still has to improve his face-offs though.  

Don't forget Tuesday's OT fiasco, where he hesitated to head to the bench for a change after breaking his stick.  Some spectators in the front row reported Carey Price was yelling at him to quickly go.  When he finally skated towards the bench,  it exposed a 2-on-3 gap in the blue zone resulting in Florida's winner.  :6185:

Still a lot of learning to do.

OK,,, what would you do, head to the bench for a new stick (3 on 2),,,,or stay on the ice, and do the best you can? Conundrum. 

11 minutes ago, kinot-1 said:

OK,,, what would you do, head to the bench for a new stick (3 on 2),,,,or stay on the ice, and do the best you can? Conundrum. 

Exactly, it's not a question of learning. It's 3-on-3 OT which nobody is used to yet, since it's fairly new. Impossible situation really, if it's a regular 4 vs 5 you stay on the ice without your stick, but a 3-on-3 is a whole different animal. I guarantee that if he stayed on and the Panthers scored, people would say he should have gone to the bench for a change.

3 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

That was when Pacioretty was still performing and did what Radulov is now doing.  Not the current Max.

Strange, I keep on reading everywhere that Pacioretty never elevated anybody's game and always needed a capable center to produce.

Sure, having competent linemates doesn't hurt, that's why most good teams double-shift their best scorers when a game is on the line, but you kind of make it sound as if Galchenyuk deserves no merit for his numbers/play, which isn't exactly accurate in my opinion.

4 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

That was when Pacioretty was still performing and did what Radulov is now doing.  Not the current Max.

Alex Galchenyuk played 1,043.7 minutes 5-on-5 last season. 270.66 were with Pacioretty (Data from stats.hockeyanalysis.com).

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

The kid is really starting to come into his own.  Im sure he hopes we resign Radulov has they have some excellent chemistry starting.

I think its the first time since the 90s we finally have a true #1 centre again. 

If he could only improve at face-offs he would be a true #1 center

40 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

If he could only improve at face-offs he would be a true #1 center

Well i dont think you can discount a guy just because of F/O stats.  some pretty elite centres have been notoriously bad in the circle.  Malkin is a career 40% Elias is about 42% and Eric Staal is like 43% career.  I think all 3 of those guys would be considered  #1 centres in their prime, despite the bad F/O percentages.

I agree he does have to improve on his face offs. I also think he needs to improve his defensive side of his game. In todays NHL true #1's are like Toews & Bergeon . In todays game a true #1 you can have start in any zone and have in protecting a lead or trying to tie the game. Yes a true #1 is usually the guy that is out there to win the crucial face off when needed also. Offensively he is coming around. Like all NHL players when at this level the defensive side of the game and face offs usually take longer to develop. He has the tools and is still young I believe he will become a true #1 but he isn't there yet.  

When was the last time a Hab was top 5 in league scoring 1/4 of the way into the season? I think koivu might have been the last!

Galchenyuk is 5th just 3 points back of 1st (McDavid).   Amazing work kid!

(Btw Markov is tied for 2nd - 1 point back - in the league in assists). 

17 hours ago, ReadySetGo72 said:

22 years old, currently playing a tick above a point-per-game.  When him and Radulov are together, it doesn't seem to matter who their other linemate is.  

Thats often the case with 2 elite players.  We've been without 2 for so long we forget that a lot of teams have their 2 best players on line one and the third guy is just there to keep up/create room etc.   Byron's speed seems to be a pretty good compliment to those two so I could see him staying for a while. 

We just need to figure out a way to get Patches, Gallagher and Plekanec going now!! :P

On 11/22/2016 at 2:17 AM, ChiLla said:

Where was Radulov last year when Galchenyuk scored 30 goals?

On 11/22/2016 at 2:17 AM, ChiLla said:

Where was Radulov last year when Galchenyuk scored 30 goals?

I don't know how this quote got here, but I did quote Jed. :5155:

Anyhoo,,, Max, Gally, and Pleks have 149 SOG between them, and 9 goals. That's a pretty bad SH%. 

6 hours ago, kinot-1 said:

Anyhoo,,, Max, Gally, and Pleks have 149 SOG between them, and 9 goals. That's a pretty bad SH%. 

Paying attention to individual shooting percentage is a route to madness, honestly. There's so many elements contributing to it that it's not worth the effort.

• 2 weeks later...