The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#31 Carey Price 2016-17

habs_93

Still just not quite at the level he was early in the season and for his Hart/Vezina season. Looks good but his movements are as smooth, rebound control not as perfect ect. He's still playing really well more often than not but he's not as perfect as I'm used to seeing and every time he over plays a shot or kicks out a bad rebound it sticks out like a sore thumb because of how great he normally is.

46 minutes ago, roy_133 said:

Still just not quite at the level he was early in the season and for his Hart/Vezina season. Looks good but his movements are as smooth, rebound control not as perfect ect. He's still playing really well more often than not but he's not as perfect as I'm used to seeing and every time he over plays a shot or kicks out a bad rebound it sticks out like a sore thumb because of how great he normally is.

Agreed.

That said, if this is Carey going through a 'slump' it shows you just how good he is. 

5 hours ago, kinot-1 said:

A good team structure and goalie will make any good opponent look ordinary, see Columbus VS Pitts last night.

It's not that it's the rebound control soft short side goals as of late and he looks to be scrambling more when pucks are anywhere the blue paint. He's good enough to still be good but hasn't recently looked Price unbeatable good.

• 3 weeks later...

A little concerned about his play over the last few weeks. He looked slow in his movement last night. Starting to wonder if he's fighting through some kind of minor injury or just slumping. Since being run by Palmeiri awhile back, he just hasn't seemed himself. Usually he rebounds big after a poor start. We'll see if that holds true vs the Rangers.

23 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

A little concerned about his play over the last few weeks. He looked slow in his movement last night. Starting to wonder if he's fighting through some kind of minor injury or just slumping. Since being run by Palmeiri awhile back, he just hasn't seemed himself. Usually he rebounds big after a poor start. We'll see if that holds true vs the Rangers.

Highly doubt he's injured. If there was something there, chances are he wouldn't have come back out for the 3rd period last night in a no-win situation. His movement seems fine to me, he just seems to be a little off on his angles for stopping pucks. It's been mid-range shots that he usually stops that have been sailing by him of late.

52 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Highly doubt he's injured. If there was something there, chances are he wouldn't have come back out for the 3rd period last night in a no-win situation. His movement seems fine to me, he just seems to be a little off on his angles for stopping pucks. It's been mid-range shots that he usually stops that have been sailing by him of late.

Like everybody I love Price but I think he needs to simplify his game some. As good as he normally is I would like to see him start to limit how much he is handling the puck. He may be a little overconfident because he has been so good, but lately he has had a lot of bad turn overs trying to pass the puck or move it where he wants. I actually wish he wasn't going to the all star game. I would rather see him get a break and clear his head. When you hear how your the greatest all the time from every body that has to be some pressure to live up too, even for calm cool Carey. I hope he has fun and is totally relaxed during the all star game so he comes back him self. We need the solid Carey for the second half.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2017 at 8:30 AM, BigTed3 said:

Yeah goaltending is a game of inches and confidence is so important. The second a goalie doesnt have it, he over plays and over compensates. I think Price is fine and i think he'll be fine, he just needs a few strong games in a row to get back to uber dominance again. Last night was a good start. 

13 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

TSN is suggesting that Carey play on Thurs. and then afterwards tell MT that he "tweaked" something, so he wouldn't have to go to the ASG. 

Im torn.  On the one hand the ASG is a joke and mostly pointless but on the other, every single time Carey has gone and rubbed shoulders with the worlds' best he's come back with a swagger. Lately that swagger seems to be missing.  That said, im not sure he can get it the same way from the ASG as he would in say the olympics of world cup etc.  but i dont think its as clear cut as it seems. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ChiLla said:

We need him to play much better than he has in the past 2-3 months.

Let's be real, he's our MVP but right now he doesn't deliver.

Absolutely. There's a prevailing sentiment that "he's Carey, he'll turn it around." And just like with Max and his slump earlier this year, I believe that's true. But how long will it take? Have injuries taken a toll on him? Is it having a kid that's taken his focus off? The mistakes he's made of late haven't just been missing tough saves. He's shown a real lack of concentration and effort on a number of plays. I think he can definitely get back to playing his career average or better and putting up a .920 or .925 save percentage. He's better than.900, which is what he's given us in the past 3 months. But I also think it's fair to say he won't be putting up an entire season of .935 like some people expected him to reproduce yearly.

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Absolutely. There's a prevailing sentiment that "he's Carey, he'll turn it around." And just like with Max and his slump earlier this year, I believe that's true. But how long will it take? Have injuries taken a toll on him? Is it having a kid that's taken his focus off? The mistakes he's made of late haven't just been missing tough saves. He's shown a real lack of concentration and effort on a number of plays. I think he can definitely get back to playing his career average or better and putting up a .920 or .925 save percentage. He's better than.900, which is what he's given us in the past 3 months. But I also think it's fair to say he won't be putting up an entire season of .935 like some people expected him to reproduce yearly.

Agreed.

I suspect he'll be fine in time for the playoffs but you never know.  Im 50/50 on whether id give montoya more games & let Carey rest a bit or (as im sure he wants) let Carey play more and try to get his game back. 

I wouldnt be surprised at all if the new baby is throwing off his sleep. I know with one of our daughters (who was a horrible sleeper for 10 months) we were zombies for months.   

Im an optimist of course but my gut is that he will start playing a lot better very soon & we'll be fine.   

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Agreed.

I suspect he'll be fine in time for the playoffs but you never know.  Im 50/50 on whether id give montoya more games & let Carey rest a bit or (as im sure he wants) let Carey play more and try to get his game back. 

I wouldnt be surprised at all if the new baby is throwing off his sleep. I know with one of our daughters (who was a horrible sleeper for 10 months) we were zombies for months.   

Im an optimist of course but my gut is that he will start playing a lot better very soon & we'll be fine.   

That's why they invented earplugs. :)

Let's look at Corsica.hockey's goalie data. In 2017, Carey has the 5th highest 5-on-5 high danger save percentage among goalies who've played at least 400 minutes of 5-on-5. His .863 is behind only Rinne, Schneider, Holtby, and Allen. He's still in the top 10 for 5-on-5 medium danger save percentage, right at #10 with .930. However, his 5-on-5 low danger save percentage is 30th out of the 30 goalies on that list, at .943—almost three standard deviations below the mean of .979. That's significant. His overall 5-on-5 save percentage is .921—functionally identical to the average of those aforementioned goalies, .919. There's something up.

The worst goalie overall on that list? Tuukka Rask. Wonder why Claude Julien was fired?

20 minutes ago, habs_93 said:

Let's look at Corsica.hockey's goalie data. In 2017, Carey has the 5th highest 5-on-5 high danger save percentage among goalies who've played at least 400 minutes of 5-on-5. His .863 is behind only Rinne, Schneider, Holtby, and Allen. He's still in the top 10 for 5-on-5 medium danger save percentage, right at #10 with .930. However, his 5-on-5 low danger save percentage is 30th out of the 30 goalies on that list, at .943—almost three standard deviations below the mean of .979. That's significant. His overall 5-on-5 save percentage is .921—functionally identical to the average of those aforementioned goalies, .919. There's something up.

The worst goalie overall on that list? Tuukka Rask. Wonder why Claude Julien was fired?

But keep in mind that Carey was lights out in Oct/Nov. So for him to have season numbers that are league-average or below now, it means his overall play in December and January was poor (which it was).

19 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

But keep in mind that Carey was lights out in Oct/Nov. So for him to have season numbers that are league-average or below now, it means his overall play in December and January was poor (which it was).

Oh, no doubt. When a league average goalie elevates to about half the level Price was at to begin the season, the impact is big, but I'd argue that when a Price (or Rask) hits a flat spot like this, it's even more significant.