The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#31 Carey Price 2016-17

habs_93

Carey disappointed me last night after the hit from behind on Emelin... the referee skated past Emelin lying on the ice, players rushed the Predator players, while Carey watched them...  paying no attention to his own player laying on the ice. What was that? A team leader?

Just now, ramcharger440 said:

Really? in a tight game like that when we are fighting to get into the playoffs? he made the right decision. it is not his job to do.

Excuse me??? Really??? His own player lying on the ice after a hit like that and he chooses to stay in the net and watch others pushing and shoving rather than going to see if Emelin was alright . Not one habs' player nor the referee went to see if Emelin needed immediate assistance. Carey could have at least gone to see if Emelin needed that help. Some leader eh?

11 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Yeah really. and yes he is a leader. was not much of a hit. how many shifts did Emelin miss? non issue.

No excuses!!! It could have been an issue/is an issue IMHO. How could he know whether or not Emelin was seriously injured without checking it out. The hit was from behind and dangerous. Regardless of after the fact.

I'm more concerned with Carey's ability to squirt water into his mouth when drinking. I wouldn't want him to get dehydrated. I think PK  was trying to help him but Price wouldn't turn around. Most of the players went to Emelin's aggressor and unless Carey has a doctorate or medical background I would suggest he continues to practice drinking out of his water bottle. :wacko:

10 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Excuse me??? Really??? His own player lying on the ice after a hit like that and he chooses to stay in the net and watch others pushing and shoving rather than going to see if Emelin was alright . Not one habs' player nor the referee went to see if Emelin needed immediate assistance. Carey could have at least gone to see if Emelin needed that help. Some leader eh?

Carey's not allowed to leave his crease by rule. During a scrum, if a goalie leaves his crease, he can be penalized. If the scrum is in/near his crease, he's allowed to skate to a neutral corner where nothing is going on. But Carey did what he was supposed to do to not cost us a penalty. It's up to the other position players to defend Emelin, we don't want Carey hurting himself throwing punches and we don't want him getting caught up in the mess nor penalized for leaving his crease.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Carey's not allowed to leave his crease by rule. During a scrum, if a goalie leaves his crease, he can be penalized. If the scrum is in/near his crease, he's allowed to skate to a neutral corner where nothing is going on. But Carey did what he was supposed to do to not cost us a penalty. It's up to the other position players to defend Emelin, we don't want Carey hurting himself throwing punches and we don't want him getting caught up in the mess nor penalized for leaving his crease.

The neutral corner you speak of is where Emelin lay on the ice not where the scrum was (that Carey was watching from his crease). I never said he should physically defend Emelin. The fact that Carey never even turned around to look at Emelin was incredible to see as far as I'm concerned.

8 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

The neutral corner you speak of is where Emelin lay on the ice not where the scrum was (that Carey was watching from his crease). I never said he should physically defend Emelin.

Not saying you said he should have been physically involved, just stating that in those situations there's nothing to be gained by Carey leaving his crease... not by having him throw punches nor by having him skate towards an injured player and potentially get caught up as an innocent bystander and be hit by accident, not by putting himself at risk of being penalized.

Again, Carey by rule has to stay in his crease. He is only allowed to leave IF the altercation is in or near his crease, otherwise he is subject to penalty. In this case, the scrum was in the opposite corner from Emelin, which did NOT give Carey reason to leave his crease. The trainers also rushed onto the ice pretty quickly, so there was no reason for Carey to be the one attending to Emelin. I just see this as a non-issue. The position players on the ice should be responsible for 1) making sure the player making the dirty hit pays for it and 2) making sure no one falls on the injured player. Carey has no job other than to stay out of the altercation.

9 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Not saying you said he should have been physically involved, just stating that in those situations there's nothing to be gained by Carey leaving his crease... not by having him throw punches nor by having him skate towards an injured player and potentially get caught up as an innocent bystander and be hit by accident, not by putting himself at risk of being penalized.

Again, Carey by rule has to stay in his crease. He is only allowed to leave IF the altercation is in or near his crease, otherwise he is subject to penalty. In this case, the scrum was in the opposite corner from Emelin, which did NOT give Carey reason to leave his crease. The trainers also rushed onto the ice pretty quickly, so there was no reason for Carey to be the one attending to Emelin. I just see this as a non-issue. The position players on the ice should be responsible for 1) making sure the player making the dirty hit pays for it and 2) making sure no one falls on the injured player. Carey has no job other than to stay out of the altercation.

How about showing support for one of your team mates who may be injured... the message is to simply ignore it then.

8 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

How about showing support for one of your team mates who may be injured... the message is to simply ignore it then.

Rarely this year have the Habs supported a team mate. I don't see them starting now. Except of course for the players we recently picked up. I'm hoping things change. 

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

Rarely this year have the Habs supported a team mate. I don't see them starting now. Except of course for the players we recently picked up. I'm hoping things change. 

I can't argue with that... and Carey Price can attest to that considering how at one point he took care of business himself.

NHL's 3rd star of the week.

Its amazing what a change in play we've seen since the coaching change.  I dont think you can credit the system (although it will definitely help him, going forward) and i definitely do NOT think he was 'playing badly on purpose' at the end of the Therrien era but I cant help but think he was so exasperated by the end that he just felt helpless, and it showed. 

He is back in full force and its amazing to watch. I know that most people dont give us much of a chance in the playoffs but with Price playing like he is now, anything is possible. 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

NHL's 3rd star of the week.

Its amazing what a change in play we've seen since the coaching change.  I dont think you can credit the system (although it will definitely help him, going forward) and i definitely do NOT think he was 'playing badly on purpose' at the end of the Therrien era but I cant help but think he was so exasperated by the end that he just felt helpless, and it showed. 

He is back in full force and its amazing to watch. I know that most people dont give us much of a chance in the playoffs but with Price playing like he is now, anything is possible. 

I think you hit the nail on the head with that assessment.

• 2 weeks later...

Playing him in both games proved to be the right move. As much as I respect Monty, I find it hard to believe he would have made some of those saves that Price made. In particular that toe save that could have changed the outcome of the game. Until we clinch, he needs to be in there. We've gone to great lengths not to burn him out this year by making a point of resting him in a game during B2B's and we've cut our shots against down under CJ. Time to reap the rewards.

3 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Playing him in both games proved to be the right move. As much as I respect Monty, I find it hard to believe he would have made some of those saves that Price made. In particular that toe save that could have changed the outcome of the game. Until we clinch, he needs to be in there. We've gone to great lengths not to burn him out this year by making a point of resting him in a game during B2B's and we've cut our shots against down under CJ. Time to reap the rewards.

Every game we win you see the confidence coming back.   I dont want to overplay price at this point but as we go through the home strech, gaining confidence for a team that had none is huge.  Each win is more than just 2 points, its going to help us going forward. 

At this point, I'd try to give Price some of the easier teams... Det and Car this week, for example. We want to finish 1st in the division, but we have a little cushion, and if we finish 2nd in the division, it's not the end of the world. To me, the goal should be to try and bank the "easier" wins against the low-level teams. I'd give Montoya Dallas next week. I'd probably give him one of the games in Florida at the start of April and then one of the back-to-back at the end of the year, provided we're not in need of wins in both those games to clinch a specific spot.

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

At this point, I'd try to give Price some of the easier teams... Det and Car this week, for example. We want to finish 1st in the division, but we have a little cushion, and if we finish 2nd in the division, it's not the end of the world. To me, the goal should be to try and bank the "easier" wins against the low-level teams. I'd give Montoya Dallas next week. I'd probably give him one of the games in Florida at the start of April and then one of the back-to-back at the end of the year, provided we're not in need of wins in both those games to clinch a specific spot.

I'm for going mainly with Price until we clinch first place at which time we can predominantly use Montoya to give Price a rest before the playoffs. Ottawa is still too close on our heels, with a game in hand, to take it easy. I'm sure the players would welcome some extra breathing room down the stretch.

19 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

I read on Rotoworld Price may not play tomorrow. At least we know his knee is okay. Saying he does not feel well. He may just be a little tired.

Ya,,, they were a little evasive on his condition.