The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#47 Alexander Radulov 2016-17

habs_93

I was seriously contemplating purchasing a #47 jersey, but just had a niggling gut feel he won't be with the organization for long.

Don't want to end up like those poor fellows who splurged huge sums on #76 jerseys, believing it would last them a long time to come.  

9 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

I was seriously contemplating purchasing a #47 jersey, but just had a niggling gut feel he won't be with the organization for long.

Don't want to end up like those poor fellows who splurged huge sums on #76 jerseys, believing it would last them a long time to come.  

I get the sense he loves playing in Quebec and I cant imagine that either MB or MT will not want him resigned.  However, the question is going to be how close are they on term and $$. 

Its my understanding that according to the CBA he cant be re-signed until some magical date comes - because of the single year deal.  Does anyone know when that is? 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I get the sense he loves playing in Quebec and I cant imagine that either MB or MT will not want him resigned.  However, the question is going to be how close are they on term and $$. 

Its my understanding that according to the CBA he cant be re-signed until some magical date comes - because of the single year deal.  Does anyone know when that is? 

I believe it's Jan. 1. 

Him and Galchenyuk are magic out there.  Seems like they're making something happen every single game.  Hopefully, being able to play with an up-and-coming young russian center that he has great chemistry with matters a great deal to him and we can extend him on whatever that magic day is that 1-year deal guys can re-sign.

4 minutes ago, ReadySetGo72 said:

Him and Galchenyuk are magic out there.  Seems like they're making something happen every single game.  Hopefully, being able to play with an up-and-coming young russian center that he has great chemistry with matters a great deal to him and we can extend him on whatever that magic day is that 1-year deal guys can re-sign.

Well the favourable thing, if you read between the lines of his talk after signing with us, is that it sounds like he might have had better offers elsewhere but we were close - and - he loved playing in Quebec before. So maybe we finally do have the opportunity to sign a premier player and retain him!

Btw, fun little fact, Radulov played in the Minors for only a dozen or so games for the same team that Galchenyuk's dad played for (the Milwaukee admirals).  Pretty sure thats come up in conversation between the 2. 

There's actually a possible advantage to NOT signing him right now, and that is the expansion draft. As a pending UFA, he won't need to be protected, but if you sign him before the draft, then you need to protect him and it means an extra player like Plekanec, Hudon, DLR, Danault, Andrighetto, Carr, etc. who would have been protected then joins the unprotected list. If we trust Radulov enough to re-sign with us after the draft and not test free agency, we gain an advantage by waiting until after the draft to re-sign him.

5 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

There's actually a possible advantage to NOT signing him right now, and that is the expansion draft. As a pending UFA, he won't need to be protected, but if you sign him before the draft, then you need to protect him and it means an extra player like Plekanec, Hudon, DLR, Danault, Andrighetto, Carr, etc. who would have been protected then joins the unprotected list. If we trust Radulov enough to re-sign with us after the draft and not test free agency, we gain an advantage by waiting until after the draft to re-sign him.

True, although i think the longer we wait the more we'll have to pay (although by January im sure the cost-damage will be done either way).

If we resign him & do the 7-3-1 protection we protect:

-Price

- Weber, Petry, Beaulieu

- Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty, Radulov, Danault   

we still have 2 forward spots open (makes little sense for us to protect 8-1, thereby losing 2 protected players for the sake of one dman).

either way we're exposing a guy like Pateryn because we just cant afford to protect 8 skaters vs 7-3-1.

With the two remaining spots we can protect two of Shaw, Byron, DLR, Plekanec, Mitchell etc.  Im not so worried we lose a key player. I think we're in pretty good shape for the expansion draft actually.  Id rather have the safety of having Radu locked up, although i can see why you may want to go the other route if you trust he will sign with you. 

For me, with the expansion draft, I'd protect:

- Price

- Weber, Petry, Beaulieu

- Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Danault (and yes, Danault has played his way into deserving protection)

With the remaining spots, we have the option of protecting one more defenceman or three more forwards. The next D man up for protection would be one of Emelin or Pateryn. Markov, as a UFA, doesn't need protection and likely wouldn't be a enticing option if re-signed anyways. For forwards, the next 3 up would come from Shaw, Hudon, Carr, Ghetto, Plekanec, DLR, Mitchell, or Byron. Now I think Plekanec could have some trade value next year as an impending UFA, but in reality, getting his 6M off the books is probably worth losing him for nothing, so I'd leave him exposed. Some media members have speculated a player like that could entice Vegas, as they would get to the cap floor required for the draft quicker and then be able to dump him within a year and use the cap space more to their own choosing. Ghetto seems to have fallen down the charts somewhat, and I don't see anything special about DLR, even though Vegas might see a young, big player with skill. Mitchell and Byron have both played well but they're not guys who should really figure into the long-term plans for the club, so if you lose them you lose them. Carr seems to have taken a little bit of a step back this year as well, though I'd like to see how the rest of the season goes before we decide whether to protect him or not. So it likely comes down to protecting Shaw, Hudon, and then one more player, be it Carr, Pleks, DLR, Mitchell, or Byron. If you protect Emelin or Pateryn, you likely end up losing one of Shaw or Hudon. If you protect three more forwards, you end up losing Emelin or Pateryn.

All that said, the Habs likely become buyers as the season goes on and we may well have 1-2 more players we want to protect. I still believe that if we think we can sign Radulov AFTER the draft, it leaves us more flexibility come protection time.

What makes you think he doesn't want to test free agency? :6396:

He's 30 years old and certainly won't mind securing a comfy $7-9 million deal to see out his playing career.  

After all, he's achieved what he set out to do on his return to NHL.  Prove his credibility and dispel his perceived bad behaviour reputation.  I'm quite sure he has caught the attention of many GMs.  

I love his game but I think Bergevin is doing the right thing, too early to sign a 30 yr old with 20 NHL games in the last 4 years long term. Looks good, we'll see where his numbers wind up when his and Galchenyuk's on-ice SH% comeback down a bit.

7 hours ago, roy_133 said:

I love his game but I think Bergevin is doing the right thing, too early to sign a 30 yr old with 20 NHL games in the last 4 years long term. Looks good, we'll see where his numbers wind up when his and Galchenyuk's on-ice SH% comeback down a bit.

I feel like the Plekanec deal is going to weigh heavily on Bergevin's mind going forward. Radulov's been amazing and everything the Habs have needed but it's really easy for forwards to just fall off a cliff in their 30s if they rely on a finesse game. 

42 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

I feel like the Plekanec deal is going to weigh heavily on Bergevin's mind going forward. Radulov's been amazing and everything the Habs have needed but it's really easy for forwards to just fall off a cliff in their 30s if they rely on a finesse game. 

I think you are correct in your reasoning there noob, the one thing I would say though is that if we don't extend radu there had better be a real contingency plan. and i mean real, not like " oh we'll see what we can do, ill call around" this is not a bargainbin kind of situation. radu is head and shoulders our best forward, and adds a true legitimacy to the habs forward corps. without him its ugly. honestly we need to extend him and even add another guy on that level to truly hope to contend IMO, but thats another story.

rad needs to be extended or we better have a replacement lined up