Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#47 Alexander Radulov 2016-17


habs_93
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, jeff33 said:

 

I think you are correct in your reasoning there noob, the one thing I would say though is that if we don't extend radu there had better be a real contingency plan. and i mean real, not like " oh we'll see what we can do, ill call around" this is not a bargainbin kind of situation. radu is head and shoulders our best forward, and adds a true legitimacy to the habs forward corps. without him its ugly. honestly we need to extend him and even add another guy on that level to truly hope to contend IMO, but thats another story.

rad needs to be extended or we better have a replacement lined up

Yep....lose Radulov and we miss the playoffs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Radulov's agent has stated his client is interested in a long-term deal here. I don't think I'd go longer than 4 years with him, maybe something like 4 years x 5.5M. But there's no urgency to sign him now, we can't before Jan 1st anyways, and we gain a protected expansion draft spot by waiting until the summer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Imagine if the Habs signed Lucic instead of Radulov....

On 11/25/2016 at 7:34 PM, jeff33 said:

rad needs to be extended or we better have a replacement lined up

Yeah I agree, I don't want to get ahead of myself after 20 games but I think it's probably worth a longish term deal. At some point you have to make a run and the clock is ticking. I don't think the team is good enough to be a true contender but the "cup window" is Price's contract which lasts this season and next. I don't want to rehash the Subban thing but IMO that trade still hurts a lot and the team suffers from Petry being the only top 4 Dman that drives possession. However, I still think the roster is good enough to be a credible dark horse contender and I wouldn't fault Bergevin for trying to go all in while Price is signed, Pacioretty is cheap, Weber is still good, and Gallagher/Galchenyuk are cost controlled UFA's. 

In the long run Radulov probably doesn't give you good value from a 5 or 6 year deal but if it's what it takes to get him at a workable AAV for Price's prime years then to me I think it's worth it. Price is easily the best goalie in the world and probably one of the top 5 hockey players overall. He's crazy good and to me it's worth going all in while he's signed for 6.5M even if the chances aren't super great it ends up in a cup. I'd rather the team go down swinging with Radulov in the top 6 than let him walk and waste the prime years of the best goalie of a generation with Shaw in the top 6.

On 11/26/2016 at 4:13 PM, BigTed3 said:

Radulov's agent has stated his client is interested in a long-term deal here. I don't think I'd go longer than 4 years with him, maybe something like 4 years x 5.5M. But there's no urgency to sign him now, we can't before Jan 1st anyways, and we gain a protected expansion draft spot by waiting until the summer.

I dunno. In a vacuum I think  4X6M is probably the upper limit but I think there's value in the team going all in since Price only has another year left. Next year the Habs have 23.1M to sign Radulov, Galchenyuk, Hudon, and Beaulieu, and possibly Markov which to me is totally workable. . Desharnais and Flynn can walk and be replaced internally without much trouble. I think it's worth going up to 5 or 6 years to get Radulov depending on the AAV, especially because Price's contract expires at the same time as Plekanec and Emelin which frees up a lot of money to try and retain him. I know we all said the same about Vanek and signing him to a big deal would have been a waste in hindsight, but I think there's more urgency now since Subban is gone, Weber's 31, Price is a UFA in 2018, and Pacioretty is a UFA in 2019. The team needs to seriously contend this year or next since replacing those guys is nigh-impossible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Has definitely slowed down and his physical play is taking a bit of a dive.

This could be a combination of a tougher schedule "grind" in the NHL along with tougher competition every night, also the other teams are starting to watch him closer and now know to not give him as much space. That and with Chucky out they can concentrate on him more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How many still believe him signing on is a given?  Have you watched recent games where he works his butt off to create chances, only to watch the rest squander his hard work?  Notice him raise a hand more frequently to signal his frustration?

He only signed with this team to prove to the league he's serious and a changed man.  Nobody doubts his credibility now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

How many still believe him signing on is a given?  Have you watched recent games where he works his butt off to create chances, only to watch the rest squander his hard work?  Notice him raise a hand more frequently to signal his frustration?

He only signed with this team to prove to the league he's serious and a changed man.  Nobody doubts his credibility now. 

I would imagine Berg is holding off on signing him until after the expansion draft, so it's one less player to protecdt. Maybe they have an agreement because I have read Rad wants to stay in Montreal. Perhaps a contract has already been agreed upon, but they won't have him signed until after the draft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

How many still believe him signing on is a given?  Have you watched recent games where he works his butt off to create chances, only to watch the rest squander his hard work?  Notice him raise a hand more frequently to signal his frustration?

He only signed with this team to prove to the league he's serious and a changed man.  Nobody doubts his credibility now. 

You're right. Radulov's skill seems to excel anyone in our group. He does the feeding but no one seems to be there in time to receive it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From Sportsnet....

 

Radulov wants a six-year contract

That doesn’t mean he’ll get it.

Alexander Radulov is asking for a six-year extension from the Montreal Canadiens, Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reported Saturday (video at top of this page).

If that kind of term — which would take Radulov to his 37th birthday — doesn’t fly with GM Bergevin, Kypreos reports the top-line winger could look for as much $7 million per year for three seasons.

A high price, to be sure, but Radulov (42 points through 57 games) will be right up with Washington’s T.J. Oshie and Detroit’s Thomas Vanek as the most-desired forwards on this summer’s open market.

Remember: Radulov was reportedly asking for as much as $7.5 million last summer as a free agent and “settled” for a one-year, $5.75-million pact with the Habs.

It’s been a smart fit for both sides. Six years is a heavy commitment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

From Sportsnet....

 

Radulov wants a six-year contract

That doesn’t mean he’ll get it.

Alexander Radulov is asking for a six-year extension from the Montreal Canadiens, Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reported Saturday (video at top of this page).

If that kind of term — which would take Radulov to his 37th birthday — doesn’t fly with GM Bergevin, Kypreos reports the top-line winger could look for as much $7 million per year for three seasons.

A high price, to be sure, but Radulov (42 points through 57 games) will be right up with Washington’s T.J. Oshie and Detroit’s Thomas Vanek as the most-desired forwards on this summer’s open market.

Remember: Radulov was reportedly asking for as much as $7.5 million last summer as a free agent and “settled” for a one-year, $5.75-million pact with the Habs.

It’s been a smart fit for both sides. Six years is a heavy commitment.

I dont blame him at all. 

As with most things, it comes down to term AND price. If he wants 6 years at $3.5m per, sure i'd do that.  If he wants 6 years at $7m per I wouldnt.  

If he wants a 2 or 3 year deal at $7m I would definitely take it. You arent replacing him via free agency - probably at all - but if you did manage to it would cost you a lot more than that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I dont blame him at all. 

As with most things, it comes down to term AND price. If he wants 6 years at $3.5m per, sure i'd do that.  If he wants 6 years at $7m per I wouldnt.  

If he wants a 2 or 3 year deal at $7m I would definitely take it. You arent replacing him via free agency - probably at all - but if you did manage to it would cost you a lot more than that. 

I'd give him the 7M for 3 years too. It probably means the end of Andrei Markov in Montreal if you do though, unless Markov is willing to play for 2-3M. The financial crunch on the cap really underlines the importance of developing your own prospects and getting them for a few years on the cheap though, which is why it's a major downfall of MB/MT/SL to have failed to develop prospects fast enough. I don't get the reluctance the club has to promoting Hudon. I wonder if Scherbak and McCarron should be further along than they are. I wonder if they could have done a better job with Tinordi and Beaulieu. All those things could have helped to build a roster and still afford the likes of Radulov.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

not much to his game lately, the jump is kind of gone.

I think he plays a lot better with a creative playmaker than a 2 way centre like danault.   Patches can play with either kind of guy but Radu needs someone who can read him better than PD. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/27/2017 at 4:21 PM, maas_art said:

I think he plays a lot better with a creative playmaker than a 2 way centre like danault.   Patches can play with either kind of guy but Radu needs someone who can read him better than PD. 

Thing is, he's the play maker most of the time... and at times he seems to make plays that are high risk and not easily anticipated by line mates.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...