The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Alexei Emelin

• 2 weeks later...

Guess I'm going to leave this here...

Thornton rips ‘idiot’ Emelin after elbowing penalty

http://www.tsn.ca/thornton-rips-idiot-emelin-after-elbowing-penalty-1.711472

“I think he’s what’s wrong with the league these days,” Thornton told La Presse. “I think there’s no accountability anymore. You can run around and take headshots at our captain and just turtle and the refs save your life."

“I’m getting out at the right time, because I liked the game when you had to be a man and look at yourself in the mirror. So that’s my honest opinion of that guy. I don’t have any respect for him. I think he’s a pretty good defenceman, but I don’t like the way he plays."

4 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

“I think he’s what’s wrong with the league these days,” Thornton told La Presse. “I think there’s no accountability anymore. You can run around and take headshots at our captain and just turtle and the refs save your life."

“I’m getting out at the right time, because I liked the game when you had to be a man and look at yourself in the mirror. So that’s my honest opinion of that guy. I don’t have any respect for him. I think he’s a pretty good defenceman, but I don’t like the way he plays."

Shawn Thornton calling Emelin an idiot?  He's one to talk.  His suspension record speaks for itself.  

Not sure I ever saw an elbow hit Mckenzie, and I thought the Panthers definitely got away with some cheap shots on that play. Ay least Mr. Thornton will have a nice long summer to think about it and repent before next season starts. Good to see Emelin returning to form before the playoffs.

Ive always been a bit torn about Emelin and the rough stuff.

Look im not a huge proponent of fighting. The gooning up / pre-planed fights are, to me, ridiculous and almost like WWF on ice. But in the heat of the moment - a punishing hit, sticking up for a teammate or, backing up your physical play - fighting often seems like the only way to stop things from 'boiling over' to the whole team and a bench-clearing brawl or Bertuzzi-Moore type madness.     

Emelin has always played a punishing game. He hits hard - he may be the best hip-checker in the league right now.  But he doesnt back things up. He turtles almost immediately.  Look, i fully understand he has the metal plates under his left eye and SHOULD NOT fight. But then, should he adjust his game?  There are plenty of guys who hit but in a less devastating way.   The hits Emelin lays out are the kind that usually bring along retribution from the other team. 

Ive never played hockey at even close to the level these guys are.  When i hit, i usually injure myself (lol) so maybe there is no "happy medium." I dont know. What I do know is that as long as Emelin plays the way he does and does not 'back it up' so to speak, there will be plenty of criticism of him.  I could care less what Thornton says but some good players have called Emmy out before and they've been justified in doing so.

From a standpoint of curiosity, I'd love to hear what a guy like Weber or Shaw think about Emelin's game. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Look im not a huge proponent of fighting. The gooning up / pre-planed fights are, to me, ridiculous and almost like WWF on ice. But in the heat of the moment - a punishing hit, sticking up for a teammate or, backing up your physical play - fighting often seems like the only way to stop things from 'boiling over' to the whole team and a bench-clearing brawl or Bertuzzi-Moore type madness.     

Emelin has always played a punishing game. He hits hard - he may be the best hip-checker in the league right now.  But he doesnt back things up. He turtles almost immediately.  Look, i fully understand he has the metal plates under his left eye and SHOULD NOT fight. But then, should he adjust his game?  There are plenty of guys who hit but in a less devastating way.   The hits Emelin lays out are the kind that usually bring along retribution from the other team. 

Ive never played hockey at even close to the level these guys are.  When i hit, i usually injure myself (lol) so maybe there is no "happy medium." I dont know. What I do know is that as long as Emelin plays the way he does and does not 'back it up' so to speak, there will be plenty of criticism of him.  I could care less what Thornton says but some good players have called Emmy out before and they've been justified in doing so.

From a standpoint of curiosity, I'd love to hear what a guy like Weber or Shaw think about Emelin's game. 

There's just one thing: fighting is a penalty, and clean checking is not.  Clean, rough hits are not penalties, but the unwritten "code" that a player must "back it up" is just that: unwritten.  Nothing would justify Emelin either having to change his game, or fighting -- and risking his health and possibly his career -- just to prove a silly point.  

57 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I gotta laugh. Every team has a player similar to Emelin so just what is it that makes them holier? Thornton should have been banned from the league for jumping Orpik from behind. 

But he's a "man" and "can look himself in the mirror."  If that's being a man, I'll take Emelin's way any day.  

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

You mean like jumping people from behind, knocking them to the ice and punching them while they're down? Thornton has that covered ...

I  have no problem with guys going after someone for somewhat of a dirty hit, but Emelin's hit looked pretty clean to me. I am not sure there should have been a penalty. This will help us in the playoffs if he an get players off their game. I hope Mr. Kreider is paying attention and would love to get another chance at playing the Rangers.

53 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

I  have no problem with guys going after someone for somewhat of a dirty hit, but Emelin's hit looked pretty clean to me. I am not sure there should have been a penalty. This will help us in the playoffs if he an get players off their game. I hope Mr. Kreider is paying attention and would love to get another chance at playing the Rangers.

Emelin being on the roster didn't stop him in 2014. Why do you think Kreider will suddenly be afraid of being hit? He won't fight; even if he does, he has to skate around in a circle and maybe get punched once, a trade I guarantee he'd make if it meant once again intentionally knocking the best goalie in the world out of the playoffs. It's pure fantasy to believe George Parros, Douglas Murray, Alexei Emelin, Travis Moen, Dale Weise, Josh Gorges, Brandon Prust, and Ryan White weren't enough to scare Chris Kreider into not being a piece of trash, but somehow Alexei Emelin, Shea Weber, Michael McCarron, Nathan Beaulieu, Jordie Benn, Steve Ott, and Andrew Shaw will be.

4 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Emelin is finally hitting again and comments pouring in from the peanut gallery.

Obviously Emelin is being effective again.

I hope he does not shy away, but rather intensifies.

Keep in mind, Thornton has a strange complex with hating the habs. Remember when he sprayed PK with the water bottle and tried to play stupid about it? He wasn't "answering the bell", he also once whined to the media about PK dropping down to take a shot and "ducking" from an oncoming elbow from Thornton, I say let him talk, Emelin may not be a superstar defenseman but hes still 100x the hockey player that Thornton is

12 minutes ago, hatethosebruins said:

Keep in mind, Thornton has a strange complex with hating the habs. Remember when he sprayed PK with the water bottle and tried to play stupid about it? He wasn't "answering the bell", he also once whined to the media about PK dropping down to take a shot and "ducking" from an oncoming elbow from Thornton, I say let him talk, Emelin may not be a superstar defenseman but hes still 100x the hockey player that Thornton is

It's almost like Shawn Thornton is a gigantic, oozing bag of garbage!

5 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

Not sure I ever saw an elbow hit Mckenzie, and I thought the Panthers definitely got away with some cheap shots on that play. Ay least Mr. Thornton will have a nice long summer to think about it and repent before next season starts. Good to see Emelin returning to form before the playoffs.

I didn't see an elbow on the replay, high hit yes but no elbow. Also, should be noted that this is Thorntons last week in the NHL, he's old and his contract is done

Shawn Thornton has no credibility. He's a goon, he has no talent, and he's a cheapshot artist himself. Does he have a point about Emelin? Well Emelin's hit on McKenzie last night was completely legal. Hit to the chest, no head contact, no leaping off the ice. In fact, the large majority of his hits have been clean, and I'm not sure he's ever been suspended (maybe fined). So I don't think a player should ever have to "answer the bell" for laying a hit on a player that's within the rules. If Thornton doesn't like his teammate being hit cleanly, too bad for him. Don't play a physical sport if you can't take it, Baby Thornton.

I do get his point about Emelin turtling. Claude Lemieux used to do it. Brad Marchand used to do it. A bunch of guys do it. The difference is that those players often threw hits that were largely illegal. Hits to the head. Hits from behind. Slewfoots. Clips. So in those cases, I agree a guy should have to take ownership of their hits. But the two differences in Emelin's case are 1. that his hits are mostly within the rulebook, as much as the opposing teams might not like getting rocked and 2. he's been medically told he shouldn't fight. What's Emelin supposed to do, not hit any more because he's not allowed to fight afterwards? That's silly. Thornton just needs to grow up and shut his mouth.

10 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Shawn Thornton has no credibility. He's a goon, he has no talent, and he's a cheapshot artist himself. Does he have a point about Emelin? Well Emelin's hit on McKenzie last night was completely legal. Hit to the chest, no head contact, no leaping off the ice. In fact, the large majority of his hits have been clean, and I'm not sure he's ever been suspended (maybe fined). So I don't think a player should ever have to "answer the bell" for laying a hit on a player that's within the rules. If Thornton doesn't like his teammate being hit cleanly, too bad for him. Don't play a physical sport if you can't take it, Baby Thornton.

I do get his point about Emelin turtling. Claude Lemieux used to do it. Brad Marchand used to do it. A bunch of guys do it. The difference is that those players often threw hits that were largely illegal. Hits to the head. Hits from behind. Slewfoots. Clips. So in those cases, I agree a guy should have to take ownership of their hits. But the two differences in Emelin's case are 1. that his hits are mostly within the rulebook, as much as the opposing teams might not like getting rocked and 2. he's been medically told he shouldn't fight. What's Emelin supposed to do, not hit any more because he's not allowed to fight afterwards? That's silly. Thornton just needs to grow up and shut his mouth.

Unfortunately Emelin is between a rock and a hard place, only because he will get criticized and challenged every-time he makes a legitimate hit. That`s why I say full speed ahead & damn the torpedoes. He has a legitimate reason to avoid a one on one fight because of his head injury. Therefore he should bear no guilt in delivering hard & legal hits for the sake of our team & for the sake of his career. let Shaw handle the loose ends if need be.

On 31/03/2017 at 0:38 PM, habs_93 said:

Emelin being on the roster didn't stop him in 2014. Why do you think Kreider will suddenly be afraid of being hit? He won't fight; even if he does, he has to skate around in a circle and maybe get punched once, a trade I guarantee he'd make if it meant once again intentionally knocking the best goalie in the world out of the playoffs. It's pure fantasy to believe George Parros, Douglas Murray, Alexei Emelin, Travis Moen, Dale Weise, Josh Gorges, Brandon Prust, and Ryan White weren't enough to scare Chris Kreider into not being a piece of trash, but somehow Alexei Emelin, Shea Weber, Michael McCarron, Nathan Beaulieu, Jordie Benn, Steve Ott, and Andrew Shaw will be.

I wasn't implying anyone could scare Kreider. I actually think he is  a highly effective player. Having aid that I want our team to be on him and hitting him at every turn and play he game with the same tenacity as him. We are a much bigger team and don't need to worry about DD or Ghetto bouncing off him. We are much more capable of matching his style of play and to beat him that is what we need to do. I think we have the leadership in place that will ensure that is what our team does too.

4 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

I wasn't implying anyone could scare Kreider. I actually think he is  a highly effective player. Having aid that I want our team to be on him and hitting him at every turn and play he game with the same tenacity as him. We are a much bigger team and don't need to worry about DD or Ghetto bouncing off him. We are much more capable of matching his style of play and to beat him that is what we need to do. I think we have the leadership in place that will ensure that is what our team does too.

Ya know, that Kreider  was asked about him and how he would play his game in the POs, he basically said that he wouldn't change his game. IMO, Habs players will have to step up and defend Carey.

15 hours ago, vegasrick said:

Its a shame because he was looking pretty good the last couple of games.  I think we'll be fine but hope that either Davidson is our draw-in or else Nesterov finally starts playing like he used to (he looked good in the last game but every other game in a habs uni he's looked abysmal)