Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
habs_93

#51 David Desharnais 2016-17

175 posts in this topic

Excerpt from article in Montreal Gazette by Brendan Kelly:

Michaud totally captures the DD situation with the following line: “The truth is, he’s not a terrible player, but he’s highly ineffective for what the team has expected of him.”

That’s exactly what most Habs fans would say. He could be an okay third-line centre or winger, but simply never should’ve been considered a first-line centre. The Desharnais tale went from odd to downright nutty last season when he was receiving superstar minutes from his buddy Michel Therrien, while Alex Galchenyuk was playing less than the coach’s favourite plumber, Dale Weise.

The good news is this is the last year on Desharnais’s contract, with The Sportster confidently suggesting the Habs will not re-sign him. But those of us here know, of course, there’s no such certainty given Therrien’s inexplicable attachment to the diminutive forward. He also happens to be the one of the only high-profile francophones on the team, which is a not insignificant fact in this town.

The other bit of good news is presumably Therrien has at least finally realized his No. 1 centre is Galchenyuk and that wee Davey will be his No. 3 centreman come October. Mike T has realized that, right?

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/brendan-kellys-what-the-puck-is-david-desharnais-one-of-the-habs-biggest-problems

wanna bet he gets signed to a new contract before the season ends because he brings character, leadership and grit and he brings those three in French too

Edited by Regis22

wanna bet he gets signed to a new contract before the season ends because he brings character, leadership and grit and he brings those three in French too

If you believe the rumors that MB was shopping him aggressively at the last trade deadline, then maybe not.

do you believe anything MB says anymore :D:lol:

No. But the rumors were from people like Elliotte Friedman and Pierre LeBrun and so on... so more credible than hearing Bergevin say anything.

do you believe anything MB says anymore :D:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you believe the rumors that MB was shopping him aggressively at the last trade deadline, then maybe not.

No. But the rumors were from people like Elliotte Friedman and Pierre LeBrun and so on... so more credible than hearing Bergevin say anything.

I think there were too many sources at the deadline suggesting DD was being shopped for it not to be real - BUT- and this is a big one: We had Eller then. Now we dont. They are, of course, two very different players but I wouldnt put it past MB to thinking he has 'solved' his logjam at centre and will now be fine keeping DD. I hope not because i still see basically no place for him on this roster that doesnt make us weaker. He could still be a useful player on a different roster but not ours.

I think there were too many sources at the deadline suggesting DD was being shopped for it not to be real - BUT- and this is a big one: We had Eller then. Now we dont. They are, of course, two very different players but I wouldnt put it past MB to thinking he has 'solved' his logjam at centre and will now be fine keeping DD. I hope not because i still see basically no place for him on this roster that doesnt make us weaker. He could still be a useful player on a different roster but not ours.

OK,,, let's say he was being actively shopped. Who would want him?

He has a number of things that are detrimental to his being traded.

His $3.5 mil. contract, too much for a 3-4 liner.

His size. In this day and age he is too small and regularly gets shoved of the puck in the O-zone.

His defense leaves a lot to be desired.

His production, despite given top line minutes and PP time.

IMO, MB has only 2 options. Either buy him out, or let him walk at the end of his contract.

OK,,, let's say he was being actively shopped. Who would want him?

He has a number of things that are detrimental to his being traded.

His $3.5 mil. contract, too much for a 3-4 liner.

His size. In this day and age he is too small and regularly gets shoved of the puck in the O-zone.

His defense leaves a lot to be desired.

His production, despite given top line minutes and PP time.

IMO, MB has only 2 options. Either buy him out, or let him walk at the end of his contract.

At the time I compiled a list (i think there were only 3 real legitimate teams, all from the west) of who might be interested in him. I dont actually remember who they were (Arizona was one i think?) but the criteria would be: set 1st line. set 3rd line, lacking 2nd line scoring but having 2 big wingers.

If you can insulate DD with big wingers and play him behind a good 1st line, he would be fine. $3.5, is not a lot for the 40-50 points he should be able to get you.

At the time I compiled a list (i think there were only 3 real legitimate teams, all from the west) of who might be interested in him. I dont actually remember who they were (Arizona was one i think?) but the criteria would be: set 1st line. set 3rd line, lacking 2nd line scoring but having 2 big wingers.

If you can insulate DD with big wingers and play him behind a good 1st line, he would be fine. $3.5, is not a lot for the 40-50 points he should be able to get you.

But, he only got 29 PTs. last year with 1st line mins.

I'm sure in MT and MB's eyes that's also because Price was out

Why ... why couldn't it have been DD for Weber?

Because nobody wants DD?

Looks like the third line to start the year again, last year of his contract i bet he has a good year whoever is coaching him. then i hope he is gone we have kids that will take his place soon enough.

29 points in 65 games = 37 over a full year, pretty close the 40 I said. And he didnt play that many 1st line minutes last year. Previous 4 years: 48, 52, 48 (prorated), 60. I stand by my statement that $3.5m is not a bad value for a 40 - 50 point player. He's just not a good fit with us.

Wait, im defending DD?

29 points in 65 games = 37 over a full year, pretty close the 40 I said. And he didnt play that many 1st line minutes last year. Previous 4 years: 48, 52, 48 (prorated), 60. I stand by my statement that $3.5m is not a bad value for a 40 - 50 point player. He's just not a good fit with us.

Wait, im defending DD?

Depends on how you define 1st-line minutes... he wasn't playing with Pacioretty last year, but on many nights, the Fleisch-DD-Weise line was getting more minutes than the lines "ahead of them." Desharnais also got his fair share of powerplay time, which helps a lot of guys stockpile points.

In Desharnais' case, though, the issue is that whether he puts up 30 points or 40 or even 50. The problem is that whatever number he's giving you, he's providing mainly assists and he's not giving you anything other than that. He's one of the worst D-zone coverage players I have seen play for the Habs, not for lack of effort but for lack of ability to muscle up to his opponents. He provides no physical presence and he's not very good at carrying the puck up the ice and breaking into the zone. He needs other players to get the puck up the ice and out of the corners for him. So maybe he puts up 40 points, but those 40 points require a decent amount of help and a lot of sheltering.

Last year, we were able to shelter a DD offensive line because we had Eller and Plekanec to take on heavier burdens of defensive zone starts. But now you have a defensively-inexperienced center in Galchenyuk eating up 1st line minutes. So how many more offensive minutes can you afford Desharnais without putting the Shaw-Plekanec-Radulov line into an exclusively defensive shutdown line. Kind of a waste of Radulov IMO. Sure, you can do it, but it's not ideal.

caught the end of the NJD game.

heartwarming familiar sight of seeing DD out there in the last minute of a game with the goalie out, accomplishing absolutely nothing other than losing the puck in the corner like usual

good thing we got rid of eller though

A lot of people disappointed with DD so far but I think we will see a career year from him this year for points especially if Shaw stays on his wing, be it with Carr or Dannault. I like Dannault there better as it allows to centers on the ice at the same time and Dannault is better defensively. This third line is likely  to make Weise, Fleischmann and DD's production from last year look mediocre at best. DD looked rejuvenated last night and his play making really compliments that line.

26 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

A lot of people disappointed with DD so far but I think we will see a career year from him this year for points especially if Shaw stays on his wing, be it with Carr or Dannault. I like Dannault there better as it allows to centers on the ice at the same time and Dannault is better defensively. This third line is likely  to make Weise, Fleischmann and DD's production from last year look mediocre at best. DD looked rejuvenated last night and his play making really compliments that line.

All depends on how MT uses them (matchups and minutes).

I actually agree with you though. I would rather still have Eller, but now that he's gone, assuming MT will do what MT does DD on the third line with those 2 could be quite an effective exploitation line. 

On the flip side, if we replaced DD with McCarron it becomes a better all-round line but maybe thats not we need if our top 2 lines are as potentially dangerous as they look.

I wont discount DD just yet this year but at this point i certainly have no desire to resign him for next season unless something changes drastically.

Agreed. Regardless of how he does this season, this should be the last year of DD in the Habs organization. If he does well, you trade him.

That said, I think Carr and Shaw will be better wingers than Fleischmann and Weise. Shaw is simply a better player than Weise, and Carr may not have the skill of Fleischmann but he should be able to at least match his point totals. I like the line's potential. The only thing I think is imperative is that we don't give DD powerplay time by default. He's been awful there, almost no goals and very poor production per ice time. I'd rather see all of Pacman, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Radulov, Lehkonen, Plekanec, McCarron, Carr, and Shaw on the PP ahead of Desharnais. If the team can limit Desharnais to 12 minutes a night and keep his PP time down to make sure we're giving it to better players, then he has a role as the 3rd line center. If Therrien insists on playing him with 3rd line wingers but giving him PP time and 1st line minutes, it's a complete misuse of the player yet again.

If DD is on the PP that will mean Muller is in tune with what Therrien was doing and seeing last year. I think this is Muller's place t decide as associate coach and will cut Therrien some slack. With the improvement of our young players and the addition of Radulov  I would be very surprised to see his PP time approach last years. Last year is a hard year to evaluate due to all the holes in the line-up created by injury. If DD wants a new contract the only way to get it and keep the competition behind him will be if he has a career year.

Size alone means keeping McCarron and trying to dump DD.