The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

David Desharnais

30 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

Not as many french heroes in the NHL anymore. I see nothing wrong with them flaunting the ones they have. Hopefully it keeps interest in the game alive and well in Quebec.I am not sure the league survives too well if Quebec starts to lose its fan base.

i think the fact that there aren't as many Francophone players in the NHL, these days, is largely the result of teams drafting players from Russia and Europe. Back in the day, (when Francophone players were the norm in Montreal), European, Scandinavian, and Russian players in the NHL were unheard of. Now, because of teams drafting form those countries, there are fewer Francophone players. Among all active players born in Quebec, there are 42. In 1999-2000, the furthest back I can go, (among all players) there were 103. 

If a new Quebec team expects to fill it's ranks with mostly Francophone players from Quebec, then they are putting there team at a distinct disadvantage.  

23 hours ago, H_T_L said:

It seems to make a difference to the French media who have been in his camp despite his questionable use in the past. The likely support comes solely on the fact he represents one of the only French players on the team. The pressure coming from them to use him despite his shortcomings has eased now that they seem to have that token replacement whom just happens to be younger, bigger and cheaper as you allude to. I bring it up because they harp on the subject over and over again. They obviously realize that he's no longer the great French hope they they all crave, now that they have a suitable replacement in Danault. Tell me they wouldn't be crying if it was McCarron that stole his roster spot? Politics.

Before you come back and question my qualifications or prejudices to comment on the whole French debate, please note that i am bilingual with a heavy French background and solid roots in the province of Quebec. I still have a big family presence there.

Ditto born and raised on the South Shore also bilingual left because of politics after 35 years just don't see the issue in this case.

13 hours ago, kinot-1 said:

i think the fact that there aren't as many Francophone players in the NHL, these days, is largely the result of teams drafting players from Russia and Europe. Back in the day, (when Francophone players were the norm in Montreal), European, Scandinavian, and Russian players in the NHL were unheard of. Now, because of teams drafting form those countries, there are fewer Francophone players. Among all active players born in Quebec, there are 42. In 1999-2000, the furthest back I can go, (among all players) there were 103. 

If a new Quebec team expects to fill it's ranks with mostly Francophone players from Quebec, then they are putting there team at a distinct disadvantage.  

There are also a lot more teams than back in the day it dilutes the talent pool overall and we need the players from over there to fill out the ranks.

32 minutes ago, habs_93 said:

Clown-tastic 47.6% 5-on-5 Corsi For when not playing with Max Pacioretty this season. Data from stats.hockeyanalysis.com.

Why does this continue? What possible justification is there?

Because Therrien is not a very good hockey coach. That's pretty much the extent of it. He has no strategy other than line juggling. He doesn't understand what makes the team actually work well. And he falls back on players that he likes on a personal level and those who have performed for him in the past rather than who is actually playing well now. Hence what we saw tonight.

12 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Because Therrien is not a very good hockey coach. That's pretty much the extent of it. He has no strategy other than line juggling. He doesn't understand what makes the team actually work well. And he falls back on players that he likes on a personal level and those who have performed for him in the past rather than who is actually playing well now. Hence what we saw tonight.

Yeah, and it's worth noting that Desharnais' career 5-on-5 numbers without Pacioretty are basically the same. So there's no excuse. 

He is lucky some of the other call ups have not taken a better shot at their opportunity. The injury To Flynn and the two point night may have bought him a little more time but he needs to be much better game in and game out or it won't be long before someone takes over his role. Play makers who don't score are very one dimensional.

David is not having a great season. But he is only averaging 13 minutes per game. He is still a plus player and lately has been playing some good hockey at both ends. 

He is not the reason the team struggles at times, never has been and never will be. Where he plays has never been up to him, but still gives all he has got. Sure he will not be resigned at the end of season, so lets give him a break for his remaining time here.

18 hours ago, habs1952 said:

We're stuck with DD for the rest of the year because no one wants a player who falls down when you blow on him. <_<

I actually think a team may take him as part of a deadline deal if part of a larger trade that includes salary coming our way.  We shall see but i suspect he's ours until at least March. 

3 hours ago, tony5775 said:

David is not having a great season. But he is only averaging 13 minutes per game. He is still a plus player and lately has been playing some good hockey at both ends. 

He is not the reason the team struggles at times, never has been and never will be. Where he plays has never been up to him, but still gives all he has got. Sure he will not be resigned at the end of season, so lets give him a break for his remaining time here.

Well said , hes no longer getting top minutes and has given his all for the team , i agree he wont be resigned so lets take it for what it is , a 3rd or 4th line center who can step up when needed in the top 2 lines. He has played some great hockey for us over the years he has just been outplayed by the younger / more skilled Galchenyuk. The coach finally realized it and DD hasnt really had a place in the lineup since. 

3 hours ago, tony5775 said:

He is a major reason the team struggles, he takes up important ice time that should be used on better players.  Actually...in all seriousness...... I think his presence on this team and our coach's love affair with him is quite possibly the biggest problem on the team.

A for effort Davey, but get off the ice.  this is pro sports man no breaks for anyone.

8 minutes ago, madpanda said:

Well said , hes no longer getting top minutes and has given his all for the team , i agree he wont be resigned so lets take it for what it is , a 3rd or 4th line center who can step up when needed in the top 2 lines. He has played some great hockey for us over the years he has just been outplayed by the younger / more skilled Galchenyuk. The coach finally realized it and DD hasnt really had a place in the lineup since. 

1. but he CANT step up when needed, he hasn't played effective hockey in over 2 years.  he's a waiver wire player wasting a roster spot that a prospect should be using to gain valuable nhl experience. 

2. coach finally realized it and yet DD got more icetime in Florida literally 2 games ago. coach hasn't realized anything, he was on the 2nd line in toronto getting way too much icetime with players he shouldnt be playing with

When players step up and take the job from an NHL vet it has nothing to do with the coach or love in my mind.DD has earned every opportunity he has had here as none of the call ups have been able to do what he can night after night. This year this is no longer true. He is still in the hunt but the competition is much tougher. It is still early and some of these rookies may still fall, but it won't take much for him to be replaced. Bergy has upgraded the system and it shows.

10 hours ago, tony5775 said:

He may be playing 13 minutes, but he has 0 minutes of PK time this year and he is the 6th most-used forward on the PP, so the ice time he's getting is still weighted towards the offensive end of things. He has definitely lost some of the perks he received in past years, where he was gifted first-line minutes and was a fixture on Pacioretty's line. Now we're finding out how largely ineffective he is without getting those boosts from his coach.

As you said, he' not really the main problem with the team. Pacioretty struggling and Plekanec struggling and the fact there is no true #2 LW and now no true #2 center are bigger deals. The fact the system is not that great and still leans heavily on Carey is a bigger deal. But DD, even if he's not making egregious mistakes, is still eating up a roster spot and PP time and salary cap space that could be given to other players. He has been extremely ineffective on the PP the past two years, and his lack of ability to carry the puck up ice and establish the zone has hurt the PP efficacy. His defensive play is lacking and he's frequently out-muscled off the puck. Is he trying hard? Absolutely. But he's just such a uni-dimensional player that his utility is limited, and if he's not being sheltered he's just not that important a player to the success of the team either. As a result, he's largely replaceable, and I don't see why Hudon, Scherbak, Lehkonen, or McCarron can't be given his minutes and paid a lot less to do more than he can.

• 2 weeks later...

Did nothing against the Blues as 1C.  Couldn't connect with Radulov's setup passes because he was either a step behind or ahead.  Couldn't setup a scoring pass in the O zone because he was knocked down or outmuscled by bigger guys.  And when presented with an open goal just before the period buzzer sounded, he shot it high.  

Argh!!!