The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

David Desharnais

28 minutes ago, PuckPundit said:

If Shaw is becoming a liability on ice with his frequent penalties, why not replace him with DD on the 3rd line?

DD was quite good even as a 3rd line winger some time back.

I'll take DD over Shaw.  

It's gotten to the point where I would to. I would have dreaded that with MT at the helm, as it likely would have meant seeing DD used in areas he shouldn't be. I trust CJ would use him properly.

Shaw's play and lack of discipline have earned him some press time IMO

2 hours ago, PuckPundit said:

If Shaw is becoming a liability on ice with his frequent penalties, why not replace him with DD on the 3rd line?

DD was quite good even as a 3rd line winger some time back.

I'll take DD over Shaw.  

Its not a bad idea.  The problem has never been David Desharnais.  He shows up every day & does his best, that's never been the issue.  The problem was how MT overused and deployed him.

To be honest, most of us were so sick of seeing him getting 15+ minutes a game we just wanted him gone but if Julien was to use him effectively - bottom 6 winger with a centre who isnt the greatest playmaker?  He could have some real value and actually be better than some guys like Shaw or Flynn. 

Very curious to see how Julien responds to Shaw. We all know MT just shrugged it off but Im not certain Julien will. Mind you: a) he may not want to rock the (very fragile) boat right now and b ) he did have guys like Lucic on his team in the past....

23 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Its not a bad idea.  The problem has never been David Desharnais.  He shows up every day & does his best, that's never been the issue.  The problem was how MT overused and deployed him.

To be honest, most of us were so sick of seeing him getting 15+ minutes a game we just wanted him gone but if Julien was to use him effectively - bottom 6 winger with a centre who isnt the greatest playmaker?  He could have some real value and actually be better than some guys like Shaw or Flynn. 

Very curious to see how Julien responds to Shaw. We all know MT just shrugged it off but Im not certain Julien will. Mind you: a) he may not want to rock the (very fragile) boat right now and b ) he did have guys like Lucic on his team in the past....

For sure. You can't question DD's heart. He always gives his best. Not his fault he had a coach who was delusional, thinking he was the second coming of Lafleur. He  misused him constantly and put him in a position to fail.

Because Shaw is signed for 6 years at 3.9M and Desharnais is an impending UFA. Shaw is on something like strike 8 or 9 just 3/4 into his first year here. It's ridiculous that he's had as long a leash as he has. But there is zero chance MB allows him to be cast off after giving him that awful contract.

Said DD:

"I'm pretty excited. It's hard to be watching from the sidelines, so hopefully I can make a difference tonight," shared the Laurier-Station, QC native, who last suited up in Colorado on February 7. "I have experience, and I know I can put points on the board. I'll try to make plays and make things happen out there. Offensively, for sure I can contribute."

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/pregame-claude-julien-tweaks-lineup-ahead-of-saturday-night-matchup-in-toronto/c-287117782

44 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Said DD:

"I'm pretty excited. It's hard to be watching from the sidelines, so hopefully I can make a difference tonight," shared the Laurier-Station, QC native, who last suited up in Colorado on February 7. "I have experience, and I know I can put points on the board. I'll try to make plays and make things happen out there. Offensively, for sure I can contribute."

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/pregame-claude-julien-tweaks-lineup-ahead-of-saturday-night-matchup-in-toronto/c-287117782

:4224:

14 hours ago, H_T_L said:

For all the flak he takes, you have to give the guy some credit. We haven't heard a peep of dissent from him 

Yeah. I've never had a problem with Desharnais the person or player. He does what he's asked, and puts his all behind it. I just think he was just asked for too much from Therrien.

3 hours ago, H_T_L said:

What I liked about his usage last night was that the 4th line he was on didn't see the ice in the last 5 minutes and OT, and that's the way it should have been. Anybody out there believe for a second that MT would have done the same??

He would have slipped MT a pack of gum & been out there the whole time.

19 hours ago, H_T_L said:

For all the flak he takes, you have to give the guy some credit. We haven't heard a peep of dissent from him 

If I was getting $3.5MM to do absolutely nothing you wouldn't here me griping either .......  :D

2 hours ago, eldag said:

If I was getting $3.5MM to do absolutely nothing you wouldn't here me griping either .......  :D

Neither would I,,,  but it doesn't seem to stop other players using their agents (Halak/Walsh ) or family (Pateryn) to complain about being scratched in the media.

44 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Neither would I,,,  but it doesn't seem to stop other players using their agents (Halak/Walsh ) or family (Pateryn) to complain about being scratched in the media.

Yeah, but......if I were French Canadian making 3.5 mil playing for the Habs in my home province where I'm adored I'd ride that train as long as I could. 

DD has contributed a lot to this team, but after watching his ineffective play last night and two bad turnovers it appears his play has become more of a liability for the team. We have some good young forwards in Carr, Big Mac, and even a Del la Rose who are more deserving of getting a look. Unfortunately DD is really not going to fetch much heading into Free agency. Bergevin will need to re-evaluate how he handles his players after this as this asset's value continues to diminish.

1 hour ago, Habberwacky said:

DD has contributed a lot to this team, but after watching his ineffective play last night and two bad turnovers it appears his play has become more of a liability for the team. We have some good young forwards in Carr, Big Mac, and even a Del la Rose who are more deserving of getting a look. Unfortunately DD is really not going to fetch much heading into Free agency. Bergevin will need to re-evaluate how he handles his players after this as this asset's value continues to diminish.

this was true like 2 years ago.  maybe 3. the fact that hes still on this team is just beyond words

Remember Briere a couple years ago? He was signed to play in the top 6 then rapidly fell down the depth chart. Come playoff time, everyone knew he was "done", another small forward who isn't good enough anymore, and certainly too soft to play on the 4th line in the playoffs. And then he, Bournival, and Weise ran roughshod over the Lightning and the Bruins vaunted 4th line depth and toughness because they were actually good players and not just plugs that fall to the 4th line by default or because they're slumping. 

Desharnais isn't a top 6 center, I don't want him back next year, and he shouldn't have been the #1C since the shortened lockout year, but that doesn't have anything to do with him being on the 4th line in 2017. Desharnais is a much more skilled player than the majority of other teams' 4th lines and 3rd pairings, and with decent players like Mitchell and Hudon/Carr/Andrighetto/McCarron etc. they could provide pretty solid secondary scoring. I'd much rather have that kind of line than DLR-Mitchell-McCarron or whatever. 

^^^^  believe it or not, I actually agree with this. Im not in any rush to dump Desharnais (unless we need the cap space for a deal).  Obivously I would not resign him but Julien has given me no indication he will over or misused Desharnais & ive said all along that he can be a valuable player at times if used properly.   I like DD on our 4th line with limited, sheltered minutes more than a number of players (Flynn).  We shall see what happens. 

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

^^^^  believe it or not, I actually agree with this. Im not in any rush to dump Desharnais (unless we need the cap space for a deal).  Obivously I would not resign him but Julien has given me no indication he will over or misused Desharnais & ive said all along that he can be a valuable player at times if used properly.   I like DD on our 4th line with limited, sheltered minutes more than a number of players (Flynn).  We shall see what happens. 

Yeah,,,, I was OK with it too. He was used properly vs the Leafs. Didn't see any ice late in the game and OT when the extra point was on the line. That's called coaching.

2 hours ago, Noob616 said:

Remember Briere a couple years ago? He was signed to play in the top 6 then rapidly fell down the depth chart. Come playoff time, everyone knew he was "done", another small forward who isn't good enough anymore, and certainly too soft to play on the 4th line in the playoffs. And then he, Bournival, and Weise ran roughshod over the Lightning and the Bruins vaunted 4th line depth and toughness because they were actually good players and not just plugs that fall to the 4th line by default or because they're slumping. 

Desharnais isn't a top 6 center, I don't want him back next year, and he shouldn't have been the #1C since the shortened lockout year, but that doesn't have anything to do with him being on the 4th line in 2017. Desharnais is a much more skilled player than the majority of other teams' 4th lines and 3rd pairings, and with decent players like Mitchell and Hudon/Carr/Andrighetto/McCarron etc. they could provide pretty solid secondary scoring. I'd much rather have that kind of line than DLR-Mitchell-McCarron or whatever. 

Briere would shoot the puck.