Height: 6' 3"

Weight: 204 lbs

Drafted by: Edmonton

Draft Year: 2006 Round 2 (45th Overall)

Archive 2015-16

Stats | Video | NHL.com | Contract Info

OwnThePuck HERO Chart (http://ownthepuck.blogspot.com/):x7uibnZ.png

If only he was left handed.

Righties are a more valuable asset to a team. Yes, we are weak on the left, but Weber isn't going to be on the ice the entire game, and we don't have much on the right after that. If Petry was a lefty, we'd be going Weber-Pateryn-??? on the right or playing someone on the wrong side.

Righties are a more valuable asset to a team. Yes, we are weak on the left, but Weber isn't going to be on the ice the entire game, and we don't have much on the right after that. If Petry was a lefty, we'd be going Weber-Pateryn-??? on the right or playing someone on the wrong side.

Agreed, a right handed dman is almost as valuable as left handed pitchers in baseball.

Reason being, there aren't as many. We might have a surplus of righties, but many teams have left handed dmen playing on their off side, simply because there aren't as many right handed compared to lefties.

If we can, I'd hold onto our right handed dmen, they could be a tradeable asset at some point.

• 2 months later...
46 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

No sweat a minor knee injury. I mean what are the odds on him missing a week, month or season. I hope they are looking at the injured knee and not the good one cause last year I think they checked the wrong one when they were looking at Carey. 

Depends who's doing the diagnosis. We all know management failed miserably at that last year.

Monster right now.  

He obviously wont score 162 pts like he's on pace for, but i think if Weber-Beau stays as a pair, the Petry-Markov experiment should work very nicely for us.   They get (slightly) easier matchups and you have the benefit of playing Petry with Markov who still has the vision of a top pairing dman, if not the legs.   

Really like our top 4 right now, although i think it would have been just as effective (if not moreso) had we gone Beau-PK  Markov-Petry.   Of course MT would never have trusted that top pairing. 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Noob616 said:

Petry is so good. It's pretty hilarious that the Oilers traded him for peanuts and then traded the 3rd best LW in the world for Larsson who is probably a downgrade on Petry. 

I would enthusiastically argue Petry is better than Larsson right now. Larsson's advantage is youth, but maybe he never develops into Petry-level. Jeff's been absolutely beastly all season. He's a poster boy for modern defence in the NHL: if you're not paying real close attention, he's almost an afterthought with the "eye test". It's hard to imagine the team being buoyant without him.

Also, he has happily made me look foolish:

On 4/8/2014 at 9:55 PM, habs_93 said:

If PK Subban gets dragged down by Francis Bouillon, do you think he'll do much better with Jeff Petry or Andrew Ference?

On 12/30/2014 at 6:01 PM, habs_93 said:

Going out of the first tier, Jeff Petry maybe?

4 hours ago, habs_93 said:

I would enthusiastically argue Petry is better than Larsson right now. Larsson's advantage is youth, but maybe he never develops into Petry-level. Jeff's been absolutely beastly all season. He's a poster boy for modern defence in the NHL: if you're not paying real close attention, he's almost an afterthought with the "eye test". It's hard to imagine the team being buoyant without him.

He has a bit of a Pacioretty-like vibe in that there's a segment of people who will be annoyed with him no matter what just because of his size/style combo. Petry can be physical and he does, at times, drop a nice hit but it's not really his style. He's pretty cerebral. 

Jeff Petry is currently 4th in the NHL among D men for 5v5 Corsi (56.87%) and 10th overall for scoring chance percentage for (59.46%).

Comparatively for Corsi, Subban at 14th (54.29%), Markov at 15th (54.15%), Emelin at 58th (51.84%), and Weber at 60th (51.67%).

For scoring chances, Subban at 22nd (56.83%), Weber at 23rd (56.74%), and Markov at 33rd (55.77%). FWIW, Emelin sitting 5th in this stat at 61.04%.

Really impressive numbers from our top 4, with Petry leading the way. Shows a pretty dramatic turnaround this year in terms of how well the team is performing, and a lot of this is being driven from the back end.

22 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Jeff Petry is currently 4th in the NHL among D men for 5v5 Corsi (56.87%) and 10th overall for scoring chance percentage for (59.46%).

Comparatively for Corsi, Subban at 14th (54.29%), Markov at 15th (54.15%), Emelin at 58th (51.84%), and Weber at 60th (51.67%).

For scoring chances, Subban at 22nd (56.83%), Weber at 23rd (56.74%), and Markov at 33rd (55.77%). FWIW, Emelin sitting 5th in this stat at 61.04%.

Really impressive numbers from our top 4, with Petry leading the way. Shows a pretty dramatic turnaround this year in terms of how well the team is performing, and a lot of this is being driven from the back end.

Petry +11,Markov +7, Weber +18 , Emelin + 9 also. Having balance Emelin on his proper side and correct or better pairings and minutes help also. Nice to see them all as + players also. Subban - 11 maybe pairing or getting used to new structure ect. ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Wondering if he's hurt again.

After being our best defensman in December his play has dropped off a lot & in the last few weeks he's been making some really really bad plays/decisions.  We really need him back on top of his game. 

Also seems to coincide with his old partner Markov being hurt. He and Markov played really well together, and Petry has had less success with a rotating cast of Beaulieu, Barberio, etc. I could be wrong, but I think the numbers a week or two ago were still suggesting he was producing well offensively (jn terms of shot attempts and chances) but he and Beaulieu have been burned at the defensive end a lot more, and Price hasn't been stopping very much.

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Wondering if he's hurt again.

After being our best defensman in December his play has dropped off a lot & in the last few weeks he's been making some really really bad plays/decisions.  We really need him back on top of his game. 

Or has his play fallen off because everyone else is failing and he can't do it all by himself. 

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Also seems to coincide with his old partner Markov being hurt. He and Markov played really well together, and Petry has had less success with a rotating cast of Beaulieu, Barberio, etc. I could be wrong, but I think the numbers a week or two ago were still suggesting he was producing well offensively (jn terms of shot attempts and chances) but he and Beaulieu have been burned at the defensive end a lot more, and Price hasn't been stopping very much.

His numbers looked good yes but he's been making me nervous for a about 4+ weeks and the last 2 its been bad all around.

I agree that Markov & he made a great duo although he and Nate seemed quite good for a little bit there too.  

In terms of possession metrics, our best D men this year have been in order Redmond, Barberio, Petry, Markov, Pateryn, Emelin, Weber, Beaulieu, and then Nesterov...

In terms of creating the most attempts on goal per ice time offensively, the best have been in order Petry, Markov, Pateryn, and Beaulieu.

In terms of keeping opposition attempts on goal down, the best have been Redmond, Barberio, Emelin, Nesterov, Petry, and Weber.

In short, Petry plays a game where he generates a lot of chances for and allows some against. Markov plays a game where he generates a lot for and allows a lot against. Beaulieu generates some for and allows a lot against. The pattern is very similar when you look at scoring chances, where Petry is far and away the leader in terms of chances generated and ratio of chances for-to-against.