Birth date: 5 December 1992

Height: 6' 2"

Weight: 205 lbs

Drafted by: Montréal

Draft Year: 2011 Round 1 (17th Overall)

Archive 2015-16

Stats | Video | NHL.com | Contract Info

OwnThePuck HERO Chart (http://ownthepuck.blogspot.com/):xZVneb7.png

I have a feeling he is going to have a breakout year. he has a bit more experience and he is entering his prime years should be good.

Lets hope, because much of our success this season may hinge with Nate.

I would assume (hope!) that the coaching staff realizes that Markov - Weber is a horrible choice for pairing #1 but that Nate - Weber may actually be very good.

Lets hope, because much of our success this season may hinge with Nate.

I would assume (hope!) that the coaching staff realizes that Markov - Weber is a horrible choice for pairing #1 but that Nate - Weber may actually be very good.

These coaches thought Markov-Emelin was a good idea. They thought Murray-Bouillon was a good idea. They never let Tinordi play, they took a long time to give Beaulieu ice time, they gave Morgan Ellis zero shot last year while allowing lesser D men to play more, and they identified overplaying Markov as a problem yet still gave him 25 minutes on many nights. So... zero confidence they will get the D pairings right.

Can't wait to see Bo this season. He's a year older, wiser and has one more year of experience.

He was one of our roster players who was hassled by injuries last season. Hopefully he can have a healthy season.

Clean slate this season.

I agree with the majority, time to cut back Marky's minutes, keep him fresh for the PP and give more responsibility to our younger dman like barb and Bo.

Despite the awful season, Barberio was a pleasant surprise, one of the bright spots in a season most hab fans would rather forget.

I miss PK, but liking our defensive group. If Chara could play the minutes he has played and for so long, I don't see why we won't get at least 3-4 good years from Weber. Unfortunately, PK will only be hitting his early 30's while Weber will be hitting his mid 30's. Imo, that's where we'll see and feel the negative angle of this trade.

So, GM Marc B has 3-4 years to win a cup and salvage his reputation. He could get an extra year or 2 if he fires his pal MT.

Can't wait to see Bo this season. He's a year older, wiser and has one more year of experience.

He was one of our roster players who was hassled by injuries last season. Hopefully he can have a healthy season.

Clean slate this season.

I agree with the majority, time to cut back Marky's minutes, keep him fresh for the PP and give more responsibility to our younger dman like barb and Bo.

Despite the awful season, Barberio was a pleasant surprise, one of the bright spots in a season most hab fans would rather forget.

I miss PK, but liking our defensive group. If Chara could play the minutes he has played and for so long, I don't see why we won't get at least 3-4 good years from Weber. Unfortunately, PK will only be hitting his early 30's while Weber will be hitting his mid 30's. Imo, that's where we'll see and feel the negative angle of this trade.

So, GM Marc B has 3-4 years to win a cup and salvage his reputation. He could get an extra year or 2 if he fires his pal MT.

Beaulieu could eventually turn out to be a decent second pairing on defense with Petry perhaps

Beaulieu could eventually turn out to be a decent second pairing on defense with Petry perhaps

He did spend some time with Petry last season, before injuries hit both Bo and jeff.

I really liked the pairing and expected them to be permanent fixtures on our 2nd pairing. Although, Barbario really turned heads last season. Before his concussion, he was playing on our top pairing, ok, 1/2 our dmen were on the IR, but he didn't look out of place, looked pretty comfortable.

Unlike last season, we have several options, granted they stay healthy.

• 2 months later...

He looked like a 1st-pairing defenceman last night. Now, can he do it consistently and can he do it against better opposition? And will he get the opportunity to do that? Hopefully.

With his skating i think he can. He and Weber should, on paper anyway, really compliment each other well. It may not only be a great match for Beau but it may signal a bit of a reprieve on some of Weber's flaws.

Of course the big obstacle is MT.... i see he was trying Petry on his offside now too. Gah.

The more Habs games I've seen this pre-season, the more I feel this player is the key to how the year will go. I don't see a positive outcome to playing Petry on the left side, where he hasn't played since junior. I can't see a positive outcome to playing Markov and Emelin together, and once again, they were out-skated as a pairing tonight. Our left side is weak, and tonight further proved Sergachev has a ways to go. Even if he makes the team, he isn't ready to play in the top 4, and frankly, I'm not sure it's to his benefit to be here but sit behind Markov, Weber, Petry, and probably Beaulieu in terms of getting PP time.

So where we are, Beaulieu is really the only legitimate solution to being a partner to Weber and playing 24+ minutes a game. No other lefty can do it. If Beaulieu can, then we have a real solution. If we can't, we'll have major issues with makeshift D combinations and players playing the wrong side of the ice.

On 10/4/2016 at 7:30 PM, BigTed3 said:

The more Habs games I've seen this pre-season, the more I feel this player is the key to how the year will go. I don't see a positive outcome to playing Petry on the left side, where he hasn't played since junior. I can't see a positive outcome to playing Markov and Emelin together, and once again, they were out-skated as a pairing tonight. Our left side is weak, and tonight further proved Sergachev has a ways to go. Even if he makes the team, he isn't ready to play in the top 4, and frankly, I'm not sure it's to his benefit to be here but sit behind Markov, Weber, Petry, and probably Beaulieu in terms of getting PP time.

So where we are, Beaulieu is really the only legitimate solution to being a partner to Weber and playing 24+ minutes a game. No other lefty can do it. If Beaulieu can, then we have a real solution. If we can't, we'll have major issues with makeshift D combinations and players playing the wrong side of the ice.

Yup, ive been saying this since the trade: if Beau/Weber works, we may well be a better team this year over last (because of our other additions like Radulov, not because we lost Pk & Gained Weber).

if they dont click (or arent given a fair chance) then it complicates our pairings a lot.

Interestingly Beaulieu is leading the NHl in preseason scoring. Not that that means a lot but 7 points in 4 games is nothing to sneeze at, regardless of the circumstances. Could this be his year to break-out?

6 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Has quietly been having a pretty solid start to the year, I think having Webber as a partner is going to really help him develop.

They are looking very good together.

Beau gave an interview the other day saying they have changed up a lot of how Weber-Josi played (Josi retrieving all pucks) which seems to be benefiting both of them.  Weber looks great to start the year and Beau is not looking out of place on that top pairing. 

I'm still not convinced he should be the defacto partner for Weber. At this point it seems that for lack of a better candidate he gets the spot. I even question whether or not the rumors of potentially trading him remains a possibility. I wonder if Sergechev could do as well as Beaulieu if given the opportunity to grow with Weber as his tutor. The risk is worth taking IMHO.

3 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

I'm still not convinced he should be the defacto partner for Weber. At this point it seems that for lack of a better candidate he gets the spot. I even question whether or not the rumors of potentially trading him remains a possibility. I wonder if Sergechev could do as well as Beaulieu if given the opportunity to grow with Weber as his tutor. The risk is worth taking IMHO.

Sergachev in 2 or 3 years may be ideal but asking him to be our #1 right now seems like a recipe for disaster. 

I think Beaulieu still has to prove he is a true top pairing dman but he's done fairly well so far.   Petry-Markov is an excellent 2nd pairing and no one else on our active roster makes the cut so that leaves Beau as the best choice.

I hope we dont trade him. I think it would come back to haunt us down the road, but who knows what MB is thinking/planning. 

On 10/24/2016 at 2:58 PM, maas_art said:

Sergachev in 2 or 3 years may be ideal but asking him to be our #1 right now seems like a recipe for disaster. 

I think Beaulieu still has to prove he is a true top pairing dman but he's done fairly well so far.   Petry-Markov is an excellent 2nd pairing and no one else on our active roster makes the cut so that leaves Beau as the best choice.

I hope we dont trade him. I think it would come back to haunt us down the road, but who knows what MB is thinking/planning. 

Seems Therrien feels Emelin could be a better fit right now.

Frankly... if the Habs do trade Nathan I do not think it would be as bad as some believe. In the current scenario Beaulieu is a third pairing d-man... I tend to believe that Mikhail Sergachev could fill that role as well if not better even now and as the season progresses. Other teams are not afraid to use their young d-men/players... why should the Habs be different.

• 4 weeks later...

So much for justice on the brutal hit he took from Martin.

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

So much for justice on the brutal hit he took from Martin.

It appears Matt Martin and Alexei Emelin are off the hook.

No players are expected to receive supplemental discipline following a couple of incidents near the end of Saturday's game between the Montreal Canadiens and the Toronto Maple Leafs, reports Sportsnet's Chris Johnston.

Martin caught Nathan Beaulieu with a blindside hit and Emelin boarded James van Riemsdyk from behind minutes later as time expired in the Canadiens' 2-1 victory.

Both dirty hits. Both deserving of penalties. In the case of the Emelin hit, dirty by virtue of pushing a player off balance in a vulnerable area but with not a lot of force. As a result, JVR at the very least had time to get his hands up and absorb the fall. I think that's a minor or maybe a major but agree with no suspension.

Martin, on the other hand, comes in with velocity and intent to hurt. He launches into Beaulieu and sends him head-first into the boards with a lot of force. That's a play that when you factor in the speed of the hit and the angle at which Beaulieu goes in can cause a lot more damage, possibly a broken neck. It's not really any different than the hits that have been given 2-3 games in the past.